Carmelo Anthony Prepared To Sign As A FA

Opinion Check

• I want Melo traded for this year for a shot at the 2nd round and instant gratification

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I want Melo as a FA so we can keep players, maintain some flexibility, keep our picks.

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Carmelo Anthony Prepared To Sign As A FA

Several sources close to Carmelo Anthony tell Chris Broussard that he is willing to play out the season and sign in New York as a free agent next summer, feeling that he can make up lost salary through endorsements.

With the belief that Anthony will end up signing with the Knicks growing, teams may back off their pursuit of the All-Star forward.

"Sources also say sentiment around the league that Anthony will sign with New York is so strong that many teams that have been willing to trade for Anthony as a rental are now reconsidering," Broussard writes.

carmelo-anthony-or-wanda-living-color.jpg

The Rockets are thought to be a prime candidate to rent Anthony but if the team feels its chances of convincing him to sign an extension to stay in Houston are slim, it will not make a substantial offer to Denver.

Sources tell Broussard that the Knicks' timetable for trading Anthony Randolph may be pushed back by about one week with the Nets pulling out of trade discussions to acquire Anthony.

Minnesota and Indiana are the likeliest destinations for Randolph because both teams have an available first-round pick that the Knicks can use in a trade for Anthony.

But the Nuggets may be interested in taking Randolph for themselves.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wi...sign_with_knicks_as_free_agent/#ixzz1BoZKGQ9a

Now that! is sensational news.

la2ny

Starter
Yea I posted a piece of this in the other thread last night after the loss. I've been telling people stop losing their heads over this situation.

mafra

Legend
Anthony isn't stupid. He knows if NY has to gut the roster to get him, then the odds to win a title next season decreases significantly. The advantage Felton-Amare-Melo would have over Bosh-Wade-Lebron would be the supporting cast.

Felton
Fields
Anthony
Chandler
Amar'e

This starting 5 would give MD what he had in SA. A PG to run the SSOL. A defensive-mided SG who will hit a 3 here and there, rebound and do the dirty work. Amar'e fills the Amar'e role. Chandler does what Marion was asked to do. Then he gets Anthony. A dream to compliment the spacing. Something PHO never had.

Felton may not be as good as Nash, but make no mistake... The 2011 NYK team would be better than any PHO had under MD. Amar'e 2011 is better than Stoudemire of PHO days. Anthony gives the SSOL something PHO never had. All-Star quality wing player.

Felton-Stoudemire run the P-&-R. Defense decides what to do. Who to stop.

Gallo-Williams-Turiaf-Douglas off the bench. Walker-Mozgov-Jordan-Rautins in development?

WOW!

Sage

Rotation player
I'm sure Melo doesn't want to leave Denver with nothing, however Denver's unwillingness to deal for anything less than a near complete young team and enough picks to cap it off is ridiculous, and not Anthony's fault.

Stuff them I'm say, play out the season in Denver.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Yes and no. I have an interest to keep Landry Field on the team. The rest, except Stat and Ray, is for sale. I don't have any interest in keeping Wilson Chandler once we get Melo. I would do a Chandler and/or Gallinari + Curry + filler right away. Denver doesn't buy it? Wait to the FA. But... we should keep pushing until trade deadline just in case.

KingofNy

Starter
Yes and no. I have an interest to keep Landry Field on the team. The rest, except Stat and Ray, is for sale. I don't have any interest in keeping Wilson Chandler once we get Melo. I would do a Chandler and/or Gallinari + Curry + filler right away. Denver doesn't buy it? Wait to the FA. But... we should keep pushing until trade deadline just in case.

You are right. Who is to say that Carmelo is still going to want to come to our team if we don't trade for him now? People change over time and with the way we've been playing lately who knows if he really still wants to come here anyways. I say if we can get him now, lets do it. As long as we don't trade our core, I'm good with it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
This is great news!!!

Now all Carmelo has to do is grow 7 ft tall, become a rebounder shot blocking Center!!! Just playing.

Hey, this report could really help us squeeze Denver like they tried to squeeze New Jersey, at this point, lets offer them Curry,Azzy and Randolph (let them trade handle trading him for a pick) for Melo, why do they do this, because at this point they are losing him for nothing, so cap relief and Randolph sure beats what Clev got for Lebron.

Heres the problem, we can't afford to give Melo a Max Contract this off season, so he must really have a love jones for NY.

Ok Melo stays in Denver this season and hits the market this summer

Then Lets say the cap comes in at 59 million dollars and sign Wilson to the Qualifying offer, then we are left with 13 million to spend....then we have to factor in the 1.5 million dollars for our first rounder, leaving 11.5 million dollars to spend on a FA.

Now assuming we can trade Randolph for a future pick (which now becomes critical at this point), then we are left about 14 million to spend.

So I know Melo is counting on endoursements to get his money, but this is about 20 million or so on the table.

Felton/Douglas/Rautins
Wilson/Feilds
Melo/Godson/Walker
Stat/Wilson
Tariaf/Stat/Mozgov

50-32 squad. Not the instant Title Contender people think.

But we would have a ton of cap in 2012....we'll see!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
You are right. Who is to say that Carmelo is still going to want to come to our team if we don't trade for him now? People change over time and with the way we've been playing lately who knows if he really still wants to come here anyways. I say if we can get him now, lets do it. As long as we don't trade our core, I'm good with it.

Either that or he wants this because he realizes that coming to NY if NY has to trade its best 3 players wouldn't be good enough to beat the Miami Heat or the Boston Celtics, which are basically the teams that Anthony realizes he's going to have to beat if he wants a shot at the NBA Championship

KingofNy

Starter
Either that or he wants this because he realizes that coming to NY if NY has to trade its best 3 players wouldn't be good enough to beat the Miami Heat or the Boston Celtics, which are basically the teams that Anthony realizes he's going to have to beat if he wants a shot at the NBA Championship

Yea he knows we're still going to need pieces to succeed. You are right. He is basically working for us now IMO. I think he's trying to diminish Denver's asking price so he'll still have a squad together when he gets here. I think the main reason he didn't want to go to the Nets is because they were going to guy their team to get him. He would end up in the same situation he's in there in Denver...

Don't fall for these reports, he wants to sign the extension and move here this season. It's going to happen before the deadline, trust me. It's just going to go down to the very last second and Denver's not going to be happy with what they get but at least they'll get something. I bet you they'll be regretting not taking our initial offer.

skisloper

Starter
Anthony isn't stupid. He knows if NY has to gut the roster to get him, then the odds to win a title next season decreases significantly. The advantage Felton-Amare-Melo would have over Bosh-Wade-Lebron would be the supporting cast.

Felton
Fields
Anthony
Chandler
Amar'e

This starting 5 would give MD what he had in SA. A PG to run the SSOL. A defensive-mided SG who will hit a 3 here and there, rebound and do the dirty work. Amar'e fills the Amar'e role. Chandler does what Marion was asked to do. Then he gets Anthony. A dream to compliment the spacing. Something PHO never had.

Felton may not be as good as Nash, but make no mistake... The 2011 NYK team would be better than any PHO had under MD. Amar'e 2011 is better than Stoudemire of PHO days. Anthony gives the SSOL something PHO never had. All-Star quality wing player.

Felton-Stoudemire run the P-&-R. Defense decides what to do. Who to stop.

Gallo-Williams-Turiaf-Douglas off the bench. Walker-Mozgov-Jordan-Rautins in development?

WOW!

Keep Gallo in the starting line-up...

Trade Walker, Chandler and Anthony for a legit big man . We do not need Chandler. He is a poor mans Arizia.

mafra

Legend
Keep Gallo in the starting line-up...

Trade Walker, Chandler and Anthony for a legit big man . We do not need Chandler. He is a poor mans Arizia.

That's the key. If Melo waits until free agency then the Knicks can make a run at a legit BIG.

Sign and trade for Melo in the offseason. Draft picks plus Walker.

Then, sign and trade Chandler for Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan.

Felton
Fields
Anthony
Amar'e
Gasol

Gallo (6th man, who plays starter minutes over Fields), Turiaf, Williams, Douglas. There's our 9-man rotation.

moneyg

Starter
That's the key. If Melo waits until free agency then the Knicks can make a run at a legit BIG.

Sign and trade for Melo in the offseason. Draft picks plus Walker.

Then, sign and trade Chandler for Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan.

Felton
Fields
Anthony
Amar'e
Gasol

Gallo (6th man, who plays starter minutes over Fields), Turiaf, Williams, Douglas. There's our 9-man rotation.

it will be hard for us to keep gallo.. if we get melo and a big like gasol

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't think we need to be wasting assets on Gasol. We don't need such a good C when we have Amar'e and Melo on our team, instead why not go after a guy like Samuel Dalembert who's obviously not as good as Gasol but is a good shot-blocker, rebounder, and defender. It'd give us that inside presence we need rebounding-wise and defense-wise and Dalembert can also get the occasional alleyoop.

Felton
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Dalembert

is a solid starting lineup. We might be able to get Dalembert if we trade away some of our crappier cheap assets (Rautins, Walker) because the Kings would be all too happy to accept some players who are under team control with small salaries

KingCharles34

All Star
I just want all this to be over with. I dont think hes really needed, theres bigger fish to fry (No channing). I havent been on here in a week or so, but i just wanna add that i give big props to melo for sonnin the Nets and makin them look like a sh*tty franchise, which everybody already knows but props for the reminder. The Nets are FAILURES, they couldnt get a free agent this summer which led to them overpaying role players...Outlaw. Now add Melo to the list of stars that has no interest in the nets. Thats the most pathetic team in the league next to the cavs

I don't think we need to be wasting assets on Gasol. We don't need such a good C when we have Amar'e and Melo on our team, instead why not go after a guy like Samuel Dalembert who's obviously not as good as Gasol but is a good shot-blocker, rebounder, and defender. It'd give us that inside presence we need rebounding-wise and defense-wise and Dalembert can also get the occasional alleyoop.

Felton
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Dalembert

is a solid starting lineup. We might be able to get Dalembert if we trade away some of our crappier cheap assets (Rautins, Walker) because the Kings would be all too happy to accept some players who are under team control with small salaries
Dalembert is making 13 mil this year and he would probably want the same if he came here and he's not worth it.plus he probably wouldn't even fit d'antoni's system.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah he's smart enough to know he's not getting a big payday.

If Carmelo comes here then odds are we might be able to swing a MLE-level salary for Dalembert kinda like what the Lakers were able to convince Ron Artest into doing, accepting a smaller contract to play on a winning team as a roleplayer rather than serve as a significant scoring option on a winning team. He'd be on our team SOLELY as a shotblocker/rebounder and I think he'd serve that position just fine.