Dampier Update: KT rumor

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Daily News said:
The Knicks may have improved their chances of acquiring Erick Dampier by offering Kurt Thomas in the proposed deal for the Warriors' free-agent center, according to a league source.
The Warriors were considering a sign-and-trade for Dampier that would have included the Knicks sending center Nazr Mohammed and forward/center Othella Harrington to Golden State. However, the Warriors last week acquired Portland center Dale Davis in a trade for Nick Van Exel.

The Atlanta Hawks are also interested in Dampier and they have enough salary-cap room to sign him out-right. The Warriors could still re-sign Dampier or move him in a sign-and-trade to one of several interested teams, including the Knicks, Pacers and Grizzlies.

Thomas has more trade value than any other Knick because he's a starting player with a reasonable contract. Harrington, who is entering the final year of his contract, is still included in the new proposal.

http://www.knicksonline.com/0304/getart.php?id=1207

Get dampier , zeke!!

JJtheKnick

Starter
i would rather have dampier. i know crawford is probably better but if houston will be healthy for the season like he says he will be then we dont really need a SG. what we need is a low post presence and dampiers got it.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The knicks will get both because Isiah knows exactly what he is doing.

He proposed a trade to Chicago -
Anderson, Mutombo, Norris +$3mil = Crawford, Williams, Robinson.
Chicago wants to swap out Norris with Othella.
The crazy part of this deal is that Chicago actually said they want Anderson for his D, and Mutombo to mentor Eddy Curry. Now the best part about Isiah's tactics is that he told Paxson straight up that he's not giving up Othella and what does he do?....he sweetens the pot for Dampier even more by adding Kurt to the deal.....
What this does is that it puts pressure on Chicago now, cause they know that Isiah means business and is not giving up Othella to them, so if they want to get rid of Williams and Robinson, the knicks are their best option, so they need to take the deal as it stands right now.
So if Paxson is smart, he will deal Crawford to us and save madd loot, and if Mullin is smart, he is getting two PFs (his team lacks PFs - cliff robinson and popeye jones are madd old) and a back up center for one guy who can walk away and not even get anything in return for him.
So a deal is imminent!

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
I knew Kurt would be shopped when they gave him that extension.

If Zeke could get Dampier and Crawford, then wow, that takes a lot of skill and is a very hard task.

JJtheKnick

Starter
kurt has been a very good addition to this knick team. i going to miss him if he goes. i say this if kurt goes i want to see something good in return.

does that mean:
C: Dampier, Nazr
PF: Sweetney, ??????
SF: Tim Thomas, Penny, Ariza
SG: Houston, Crawford, Ariza
PG: Marbury, FW
others: Vin Baker, Dermarr

I'm more than happy with that for this season, incredible reboudning with Sweetney and Dampier.
I said it when they got Marbury adn i'll say it again, healthy Houston adn Marbury is one of the best backcourts in the NBA, add in CRAWFORD who is a legitimate starter on your bench and this is the best backcourt in teh nba as fara s depth goes
Alot of swingmen though, penny, timmy, ariza, dermarr
and im not very happy with our misc bench players...although i think im jsut being a little picky there

JJtheKnick

Starter
if that were to be the team thatw e have next season i will be extremely comfortable with that. if thats our team i think we can probably be in the top 5 in the east. its good shooting and rebounding but what about Defence?? is it good enough

Our Dampier chances just improved. With the Clippers letting Richardson go to Phoenix, the Suns do not have the cap room to make a run at him(I had read Dampier was waiting to see what happened there before going anywhere). Now if the Kurt Thomas addition to the sign and trade offer stirs GS, we may have a big man.....
If only we could close the Crawford, Robinson, Williams deal as well...

David

dacash

Benchwarmer
if we get dampier by letting kt go then who will be the starting pf? all we have is sweetney and baker and i dont think they have enough confidence in sweetney just yet

Kurt Thomas must go!

The knicks will never win a championship as long as Kurt Thomas is the starting power forward, he's a decent backup at best and he's extremely boring to watch. His numbers are totally misleading. I hope Golden State or Dallas are stupid enough to accept K. Thomas as part of a Dampier or Antoine Walker Trade! Also, getting Dampier is more crucial than trading for Jamal Crawford.

I disagree Scott. I say Crawford is the most important at this point and here is why. We have descent center's compared to most teams with Nazr and Mutombo(even Kurt Thomas can get minutes there if needed). I know its not Shaq or Duncan, but its as good as many teams.

There is a real good chance Houston misses time, possibly significant time because of his knee this season. He may not be ready to play at the start. We cannot have Shandon Anderson starting at SG again. That is where Crawford's importance comes in. He is YOUNG, talented, can actually drive to the basket and get fouled. He does not have to stand 20' away from the hoop and be open to be dangerous. He also averages 5 assists/game which is twice as many as Houston which will help get some more ball movemant on offense. Teams will not be able to double Marbury as he crosses mid-court.
I recognize we need a big man, but for us to land Dampier, it's sounding like we are going to have to overpay him big time. Besides trading Kurt Thomas and an expiring contract to get him, rumors are saying we would give him a 5-6 year deal worth $60-$70 million. That is way to much for a career 8 point/8 rebound aging center. Just because he had a great year last year in his contract year, does not mean he will keep up those numbers. Especially for 5 or 6 years. That trade I am afraid will help us presently, but kill us long term. Crawford helps us now and forever more. I think Crawford would mesh perfectly with Marbury in the backcourt.

Get the Crawford deal done Isiah!!

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
crawford is a better than dampier cause it doesnt matter how houston comes back he cant play 30 - 35 minutes....so if we dont get crawford we going to have to depend on anderson?

JJtheKnick

Starter
crawford is better than dampier. but its a toss up for the knicks because with out a big man the our low post is mediocre. but if we dont get crawford, houston has injurys and he cant play to long anymore so anderson comes in.