Memphis Shopping Camby Jr (thabeet)

Toons

is the Bo$$
Thabeet Says He's Getting Better

Statistically, Grizzlies center Hasheem Thabeet has regressed in his second season. His turnover rate is the second-worst in the NBA, and all of his other numbers have taken hits: points, field goal percentage, free throw percentage, rebounding rate, blocks per game and, most importantly, minutes.

His uninspiring play jumpstarted trade rumors, but Memphis Commercial Appeal beat writer Ronald Tillery said the Grizzlies "aren't getting any offers compelling enough to give away the 7-3 project center."

He may have been the second-overall pick of the 2009 NBA Draft, but Thabeet almost seems unwanted.

Just don't tell that to him.

"I'm definitely getting better," Thabeet told HOOPSWORLD. "I'm doing all of the little things the coaches want me to do. I'm getting better every day."

The biggest area for improvement in Thabeet's game is undoubtedly offense. He hasn't been able to use his 9-5 standing reach near the hoop, and, as a result, Thabeet has shot only 44% from the field this season.

To remedy this problem, Lionel Hollins' staff is pushing the second-year center to get the ball as high as possible.

"The hook shot," Thabeet said. "That's my go-to move. I've been working on it for better timing.

"It's way better," he continued. "I'm at it every day. Every year I've progressed. Mostly [I'm shooting] right-handed, but a lot of times I'll shoot it with my left hand. At my best though, I'm shooting it with my right."

Thabeet has undeniably improved his conditioning. He was skinny, almost frail when he arrived at UConn in 2006. Now, after battling opposing NBA centers and practicing against teammate Marc Gasol, Thabeet has definitely made an effort to be in top form.

"Since I've got into the league I've already put on 10 pounds," said Thabeet, who is listed at 267 pounds. "That's pretty good. They don't want me to go above that or below that. Five percent body fat, that's pretty good for a big guy."

That may be the best silver lining that the Grizzlies can take from this whole experience. He hasn't scored more than eight points or grabbed more than six rebounds in a single game this season, but Thabeet has continued to develop physically. He may never be worth the second overall pick, but he doesn't have to be a complete bust

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18653#ixzz1CqnXMpCX

KingCharles34

All Star
Toons was shopping and he bought himself a star...and im not even gonna say why, all im gonna say is smfh
icon13.gif

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Wait.. Are we talking about Thabust? The same guy I have on my avatar to remind me that there is still hope for me to play in the NBA if he can? The same useless piece of meat?

iSaYughh

Starter
Haha.

Every black, thin, 6'10'er who can't shoot for shit = Marcus Camby Jr, Esq.

Well. I'd still trade for him if it was a 2nd n something minor.

p0nder

Starter
he's tall. and... uhh.... i dunno the positives here.

We have a 7" project guy in AR. why do we want to add a different one? I admit 7'3 center would be awesome to complement Amar'e and he's got a lot of potential. but i think our focus is best placed on other potential C's.

iSaYughh

Starter
6'10''? he's 7'3''
he has camby like potenial

I know, was just kidding. Since almost every big man has ppl drawing comparisons to him being our Marcus Camby.

Not a bad comparison here, though.

I saw Thabeet play @UCONN and was always impressed. I think he gets too harsh of a rep for someone so young and inexperienced -- in collegiate/NBA experience, and in general.

Plus, he has been on a shit franchise for him.

His rebounding/blocking has always been very good and sound in the NBA. When we flip Randolph, I wouldnt hate getting Thabeet in a deal. Maybe for Mayo too.

moneyg

Starter
6'10''? he's 7'3''
he has camby like potenial

do u think our coach will actually play him???

and im tired of the word potential.. we need players now.. not 5 years down the line when STAT is a free agent again.

our coach wouldnt play rodman in his prime.... SMFH

Last edited: