Interesting Amare/Bill Simmons Comment...

Every year, Bill Simmons puts out his 50 most untradeable players in the NBA list. It's an awesome read, I suggest you take the time to read the whole thing (it's a 2-parter).

Anyway, Amare came in at #20. I'm not here to agree or argue that. What I am here to show you is his ranking, verbatim:

20. Amare Stoudemire

I'd like to introduce a fake character called "Generic NBA Guy Who Knows Things," a distorted compilation of everyone in NBA circles who talks to me off the record. Here's GNGWNT on Amare these past four months:

October: "Amare is gonna have a big year. Huge, huge year. He likes the spotlight. New York will be good for him. He's dumb enough to think he's as big a star as LeBron or Wade. You need that attitude to succeed in New York."

November: "I told you!"

December: "D'Antoni is running Amare into the ground. His knees won't hold up. You don't write about coaches putting themselves above their players nearly enough, Simmons. D'Antoni is coaching for his next job; he doesn't care about Amare's availability in 2014. Did you see the Detroit game? Amare played 54 minutes in double-OT, then averaged 41 the next 10 games. And when his knees go, everyone will blame Dolan and Donnie for spending too much money on him."

January: "You see Amare's numbers this month? D'Antoni finally cut his minutes but it was too late -- his game went in the tank; 45 percent shooting? He hasn't been under 50 percent for an entire month since he was in junior high.

February: "I feel bad for Carmelo. He killed his legacy in Denver to get to the Knicks, and by the time he gets there, Amare will be cheering him on in $5,000 suits every night while D'Antoni is working for you guys on Friday nights arguing with Jon Barry. Mark my words, the MVP of the 2013 Knicks is going to be either Mozgov or Amare's tailor."

(And that concludes this week's episode of "Turd In The Knicks Fan Punch Bowl!" Don't blame me, blame Mike D'Antoni -- the guy who apparently forgot that Stoudemire's knees are so bad that the Knicks couldn't get his contract insured, then played him 576 minutes in 14 games over a four-week span. He hasn't been quite the same since. It's true.)

That had not even crossed my mind until I read this... Much of a fuss was made over that insuring of the contract... We have all seem to forgotten this pretty quickly.

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.

mafra

Legend
Simmons is a squeaky-mouthed tool. He actually believes Ewing isn't even in the same universe as his beloved Bill Russell. Bill is 6"9' and 215 pounds. He averaged 15 ppg. Had Bill played with those 90s Knicks squad NY still is looking for a title.

Ewing is 7"0' and 240 pounds. He averaged 21 ppg, and was the main focal point on his team. He didn't play with 1 HOF, let alone 4 or 5! Put Ewing on those BOS teams and I imagine he wins 7-10 titles too.

IMHO, Ewing and Russell are on the same level. Ewing was a much better offensive player. Maybe one of the best shooting BIGs ever.

Amar'e may have bad knees, but unlike Paul P. he's never een carted off in a wheel chair only to return a few moments later unscathed.

I have no idea why people follow/read/listen to Bill Simmons?

Simmons is a squeaky-mouthed tool. He actually believes Ewing isn't even in the same universe as his beloved Bill Russell. Bill is 6"9' and 215 pounds. He averaged 15 ppg. Had Bill played with those 90s Knicks squad NY still is looking for a title.

Ewing is 7"0' and 240 pounds. He averaged 21 ppg, and was the main focal point on his team. He didn't play with 1 HOF, let alone 4 or 5! Put Ewing on those BOS teams and I imagine he wins 7-10 titles too.

IMHO, Ewing and Russell are on the same level. Ewing was a much better offensive player. Maybe one of the best shooting BIGs ever.

Amar'e may have bad knees, but unlike Paul P. he's never een carted off in a wheel chair only to return a few moments later unscathed.

I have no idea why people follow/read/listen to Bill Simmons?

you're right. Simmons is usually a good read because of his funny pop references but you can't really take everything he writes seriously. He's a Celtics/Sox fan all the way and will shit on NY any chance he gets.

iSaYughh

Starter
Weird. I love Simmons. And I generally dislike sports writers/don't read them consistently. And almost always hate BOS fans.

His pop culture references are often brilliant, nearly always funny. He writes a lot of cool or unique articles, or...mailbags, etc.

And he writes from a legit, true fan's perspective; his thought process and thinking is often like the your typical big sports fan's...who is some combo of drunk, high, on a hallucigenic; but also knows how to write, and loves pop culture.

Segments and shit like Top 50 Contracts/Players is gold.

Have to read him for the totality of his package and what he offers.

I will say, he understands and articulates NYK pain as well as anyone I've read. His segment on Dolan was/is truly epic. And his digs at him, and Isiah, and our plight is almost always spot on.

Weird. I love Simmons. And I generally dislike sports writers/don't read them consistently. And almost always hate BOS fans.

His pop culture references are often brilliant, nearly always funny. He writes a lot of cool or unique articles, or...mailbags, etc.

And he writes from a legit, true fan's perspective; his thought process and thinking is often like the your typical big sports fan's...who is some combo of drunk, high, on a hallucigenic; but also knows how to write, and loves pop culture.

Segments and shit like Top 50 Contracts/Players is gold.

Have to read him for the totality of his package and what he offers.

I will say, he understands and articulates NYK pain as well as anyone I've read. His segment on Dolan was/is truly epic. And his digs at him, and Isiah, and our plight is almost always spot on.

:peace::peace::peace::peace::beer::agreed::agreed: