Phil Jackson Knows Who He Wants To Draft

It's almost a lock at this point we are picking in the top 4. My list is still Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, and Russell, in that order. I totally get why people prefer Towns, but I think Okafor is still the safer pick with the lower ceiling but higher floor than Towns. Not sure how PJ can swing getting another 1st round pick. He had a bunch of chances to try to get one during the year, but now I think we're out of assets that can bring one.

tiger0330

Legend
Why do you think Phil wants Towns, nothing in that article implied that. I did see where draft express bumped Okafor for Towns as their number one pick which tells you Okafor is not the clear number one I was saying in the NBA draft thread. I guess who they pick will depend whether they value D and rebounding or offense more, Towns being the better defender and Okafor being the more accomplished post player.

I was leaning to Towns myself but when Timmys old coach at Wake Forest said Okafor reminded him of TD and Okafor was better than Timmy at 19, I had visions of Okafor roaming the paint for 20 years for the Knicks,

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I see now why people thinks PJ's top pick would be Towns after reading more reports of the season ticket holders event at MSG. He really does talk a good game but I'm waiting for results.

One of the things I was hoping for was a reduced role for Mills after Whitted was fired but he seems as engaged as ever talking about his scouting trips to Europe. Nothing good is going to come out of Steve Mills being involved in the personnel decisions of the Knicks. He's part of the old Dolan regime of flunkies and needs to be replaced.

Broadway

All Star
I see now why people thinks PJ's top pick would be Towns after reading more reports of the season ticket holders event at MSG. He really does talk a good game but I'm waiting for results.

One of the things I was hoping for was a reduced role for Mills after Whitted was fired but he seems as engaged as ever talking about his scouting trips to Europe. Nothing good is going to come out of Steve Mills being involved in the personnel decisions of the Knicks. He's part of the old Dolan regime of flunkies and needs to be replaced.

Yeah if you would ave clicked on some of the embedded links they led to the Twitter accounts covering the Town Hall Meeting. Once again if Phil feels the draft is deep with only 1 pick and 1 pick can change an organization for many yrs to come then what does he think about Philly having 8-10 picks in this summer's draft? Who btw are within our same Division and also have Embid coming back next yr.

Agreed we need fresher executive minds, to be infused into the organization who aren't strictly tied to Phil, Dolan, or even New York per say

Yeah if you would ave clicked on some of the embedded links they led to the Twitter accounts covering the Town Hall Meeting. Once again if Phil feels the draft is deep with only 1 pick and 1 pick can change an organization for many yrs to come then what does he think about Philly having 8-10 picks in this summer's draft? Who btw are within our same Division and also have Embid coming back next yr.

Agreed we need fresher executive minds, to be infused into the organization who aren't strictly tied to Phil, Dolan, or even New York per say

Yeah, it's an interesting comparison between us and Philly. Both our teams dismantled former division winning squads. Philly did so completely and ended up with a lot of draft picks. We did so near completely and ended up with no 1st round draft picks. Philly has shown a tendency to move young assets while they are hot, while we have shown a tendency to hold onto hot young assets until their value has sunk. Still not sure Philly will do anything with all their assets. They seem to be waiting for that one singular, top of a generation player to come to them like Duncan or Lebron before actually trying to win any games or pursuing free agents.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, it's an interesting comparison between us and Philly. Both our teams dismantled former division winning squads. Philly did so completely and ended up with a lot of draft picks. We did so near completely and ended up with no 1st round draft picks. Philly has shown a tendency to move young assets while they are hot, while we have shown a tendency to hold onto hot young assets until their value has sunk. Still not sure Philly will do anything with all their assets. They seem to be waiting for that one singular, top of a generation player to come to them like Duncan or Lebron before actually trying to win any games or pursuing free agents.

Was there any reason for them to shell out contracts like say Orlando did to Ben Gordon and Channing Frye? Was there any reason for them to shell out contracts like Miami Heat and sign players in the mold of Josh McRoberts or Danny Granger? Maybe they should have done what Phx did and signed Isiah Thomas or Sacramento with Darren Collison. Maybe what the Clippers did and signed Spencer Hawes and Big Baby.

They could have done a little better, picked up maybe some quality vets but at what costs? They weren't going to hand out long term deals and justifiably so. Was it any different than what we did a few yrs back and wasted 2yrs away lusting for Lebron that generation changing talent?

I bet Philly changes their tune this summer because they are in the best position they've ever been in to make noise. Towns will change our course no more or less than Okafor would, say Orlando.

But if we traded acquiring another pick walking away with Jerian Grant and Mudiay, that could be game changing right there.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I have one question: If you could go back in time... to the draft when both Al Horford & J-Noah came out from Florida... who do you take? Point is: best case scenario for the triangle offense is to sign Greg Monroe and then draft Willie Cauley-Stein. WCS is Noah, he can guard all 5 positions, he's a upperclassman, most athletic-defensive 7-footer IN A LONG TIME.

We don't know how long it might take for Towns or Okafor to become superior players, but we do know WCS steps in day-1 and improves the defense.

Tough call. Is it possible to trade back to 5-8 and get an asset (extra pick or player) and still get WCS? I would be fine with that. WCS + asset over Towns/Okafor.

Now, if it came down to Towns or Okafor... you have to go Towns. Okafor is most talented post player since Hakeem. He's further along as a freshman than Duncan... But, he takes possessions off on defense and is a 50% FT shooter. Towns, the NJ native, is much better on defense and is a much better shooter. He can hit his FT and can even stroke it from downtown.

-local product
-impacts game on defense with shot blocking
-good FT shooter

Broadway

All Star
I have one question: If you could go back in time... to the draft when both Al Horford & J-Noah came out from Florida... who do you take? Point is: best case scenario for the triangle offense is to sign Greg Monroe and then draft Willie Cauley-Stein. WCS is Noah, he can guard all 5 positions, he's a upperclassman, most athletic-defensive 7-footer IN A LONG TIME.

We don't know how long it might take for Towns or Okafor to become superior players, but we do know WCS steps in day-1 and improves the defense.

Tough call. Is it possible to trade back to 5-8 and get an asset (extra pick or player) and still get WCS? I would be fine with that. WCS + asset over Towns/Okafor.

Now, if it came down to Towns or Okafor... you have to go Towns. Okafor is most talented post player since Hakeem. He's further along as a freshman than Duncan... But, he takes possessions off on defense and is a 50% FT shooter. Towns, the NJ native, is much better on defense and is a much better shooter. He can hit his FT and can even stroke it from downtown.

-local product
-impacts game on defense with shot blocking
-good FT shooter

I can agree with your take with WCS if we were say in Orlando's, Philly's, Lakers, position. Unfortunately for us we have to draft the talent, we truly believe is the best talent, has most upside who can operate in the Triangle and any other system.

It's still very much a "GUARD'S" league let's not forget this.

Say hypothetically, longshot scenario: teams all finish with current standings and in the lottery ball picking, we win big and Philly and Lakers lose big. We get number one overall pick, Philly gets number 6 pick, and Lakers get number 7 pick, which is then unprotected and goes to Philly. Would you trade the number one overall pick to Philly for number 6 and 7 picks (assume for some reason Philly wants to do this)?

For what it's worth I say no to my above post scenario because I don't know who else we grab at 6 and 7 besides WCS that would get me excited.

Broadway

All Star
Say hypothetically, longshot scenario: teams all finish with current standings and in the lottery ball picking, we win big and Philly and Lakers lose big. We get number one overall pick, Philly gets number 6 pick, and Lakers get number 7 pick, which is then unprotected and goes to Philly. Would you trade the number one overall pick to Philly for number 6 and 7 picks (assume for some reason Philly wants to do this)?

Yes without even thinking about it. Philly would not do this though.

There are so many potentials there at this range possibly or for a certainty

Winslow, Kaminsky, Grant, Dekker, Lyles, WCS, Herzonja, Jones, Harrell, Johnson

pat

Starter

Not so sure about Phil. It is too early to say that. Even he has things to learn. Obviously. The problem over the years has always been Dolan. I think that is safe to say. This franchise will not see better days before he either sold it or decided not to be a "hands-on owner".

Kiyaman

Legend
For what it's worth I say no to my above post scenario because I don't know who else we grab at 6 and 7 besides WCS that would get me excited.

Okafor showed extra-winning-talent throughout his freshman season .. Final-4 talent .. Top-1 pick
Would u really trade Okafor for the 6th n 7th pick?
Would u have traded Anthony Davis for 3 of the top-10 picks in 2012 draft class?

A team would do real good getting 2 of the top-10 picks.
Center-WCS is more prepared for the NBA than 19 yr old Towns
SG/SF-Winslow high IQ all-around hustle talent will become a NBA All-Star in his 4th season.

Do the Knicks organization have the right people to guide a young top-3 pick to stardom?
The Knicks coaching-staff and Knicks D.League team .. did a very poor job guiding college level players into NBA level players .. using the triangle-offense as thier foolish excuse!

Phil Jackson dont have any (more) juice or power in the NBA.
I just read the Cavs are 17-0 at HOME .. JR & Shump are a part of that streak
Phil didnt ask for a 2nd round pick in the trade .. stupid is wat studid does

mafra

Legend
Yes without even thinking about it. Philly would not do this though.

There are so many potentials there at this range possibly or for a certainty

Winslow, Kaminsky, Grant, Dekker, Lyles, WCS, Herzonja, Jones, Harrell, Johnson

EXACTLY... I would take WCS + Winslow-Grant-Kaminsky over Towns or Okafor. No doubt. I a way, JAX hinted at this when he talked about the need for a defensive-minded presence in the middle of the paint, like T-Chandler (He said).

Broadway

All Star
Okafor showed extra-winning-talent throughout his freshman season .. Final-4 talent .. Top-1 pick
Would u really trade Okafor for the 6th n 7th pick?
Would u have traded Anthony Davis for 3 of the top-10 picks in 2012 draft class?

You could manipulate these questions by swapping out draft classes...Going with the 2012 draft

If you're asking me would I trade Anthony Davis for Damian Lilliard(#6) and Andre Drummond(#9), well probably not but would that really be a bad deal?

Since you said 3 although some guys weren't in the lottery discussion that year. You could add Harrison Barnes(#7), Terrence Jones(#16), Draymond Green(#35). Too be honest even without these 3 as part of the trade the 2 I mentioned above are great value for The Brow!

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I was thinking the same thing as those that favor giving up the top pick for a combination of assets like WCS, Winslow and Monroe. Guys are going to flame me for this but if Bargnani takes a reasonable 2 year deal with a team option his second year, I think PJ has him come back. He becomes the backup plan in case the Knicks are unable to sign a FA big.

Mills said it in the event yesterday that they will be looking to sign guys that fit the system and Bargs has proven he's a fit in the triangle. The only thing is what they have to pay Bargnani, make it an effective 1 year deal at 3M I think Phil signs him despite all the negatives about him.

Broadway

All Star
EXACTLY... I would take WCS + Winslow-Grant-Kaminsky over Towns or Okafor. No doubt. I a way, JAX hinted at this when he talked about the need for a defensive-minded presence in the middle of the paint, like T-Chandler (He said).

Had he traded Shumpert and/or Tyson Chandler for a 1st rounder(s) Phil might have some juice to acquire another pick in the first round(high) of this summer's draft. Phil has no shot to crack 2 picks within the lottery. Pretty much no shot to land another in the first in general.

I could care less about not having J.R. Smith's $6mil cap hit on the books. Not as relevant now, as he could have been moved during the summer for a crappy 2019 2nd round pick then. Or he could have been moved with a future 1st like 2018. We need picks not now but right now, not 4yrs down the road.

The other obvious is S&T Melo to the Bulls like he should have done and expanded the trade into like a 3 teamer where he acquired a cluster of picks to use this summer.

Philly has the assets to make a trade to acquire another pick in the Top 5(assuming they naturally land one based on season finish), should they feel the urge.

Broadway

All Star
I was thinking the same thing as those that favor giving up the top pick for a combination of assets like WCS, Winslow and Monroe. Guys are going to flame me for this but if Bargnani takes a reasonable 2 year deal with a team option his second year, I think PJ has him come back. He becomes the backup plan in case the Knicks are unable to sign a FA big.

Mills said it in the event yesterday that they will be looking to sign guys that fit the system and Bargs has proven he's a fit in the triangle. The only thing is what they have to pay Bargnani, make it an effective 1 year deal at 3M I think Phil signs him despite all the negatives about him.

Nope not a good idea under any circumstance. He stole from us and he can move on to steal elsewhere. Ironically his name wasn't mentioned in the Town Hall meeting who the organzation appreciated how they've conducted themselves as professionals.

Here's a Snippet.....

- Lance Thomas, Galloway, and Amundson mentioned as players that seem to grasp the system pretty easily (in reference to a question about who the learners are and which players already get it). Was interesting because these names were mentioned a few times throughout the conversation and starting to think that they like these 3 enough to consider bringing them back next season. Steve in particular, mentioned that guys like Lance and Amundson are leaders in how professional they are and how they approach the team.

Phil also reflected back to 2010 and apparently didn't like the approach of getting desperate to sign free agents. Sounds like he faulted the previous regime and how they handled themselves when in that situation. Doesn't want to duplicate it again.

tiger0330

Legend
Nope not a good idea under any circumstance. He stole from us and he can move on to steal elsewhere. Ironically his name wasn't mentioned in the Town Hall meeting who the organzation appreciated how they've conducted themselves as professionals.

Here's a Snippet.....

Phil also reflected back to 2010 and apparently didn't like the approach of getting desperate to sign free agents. Sounds like he faulted the previous regime and how they handled themselves when in that situation. Doesn't want to duplicate it again.
Amundsen as is always being mentioned in the broadcasts has had a bad March so he's the same player that has changed teams like underwear. Unless it's for the vets min I wouldn't bring him back. Bargs has put up the best numbers by far don't be surprised if he's back, he at least makes PJ think about it.