Should we trade the pick?

• No, we deserve a top pick after this terrible season

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Yes, we can get back more value especially if we fall lower in draft

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Paul1355

All Star
Even though Melo has gone on record to say the Knicks should keep the pick, Jackson admitted that free agency was his main priority.

If Jackson's comments are true then we should not be surprised if Jackson trades the draft pick this year.

If we fall in the 3-6 position, then Jackson might lose his future big men in Towns and Okafor.

We could also trade our high pick for a 1st rounder, starting player, and dump calderons contract.

We have flexibility.

What does everything think?

tiger0330

Legend
Even though Melo has gone on record saying the Knicks should keep the pick, Jackson admitted that free agency was his main priority.

If Jackson's comments are true then we should not be surprised if Jackson trades the draft pick this year.

If we fall in the 3-6 position, then Jackson might lose his future big men in Towns and Okafor.

We could also trade our high pick for a 1st rounder, starting player, and dump calderons contract.

We have flexibility.

What does everything think?
Trading the 3-6 pick for this would be a great deal. Essentially trading JC for that starting player and trading down the high draft pick for a non lottery pick. To get rid of Calderon is going to take creativity and bundling him with a pick and this might be a way to do it.

Broadway

All Star
Trading the 3-6 pick for this would be a great deal. Essentially trading JC for that starting player and trading down the high draft pick for a non lottery pick. To get rid of Calderon is going to take creativity and bundling him with a pick and this might be a way to do it.

I think Melo has given us the direction on what we should do with the pick, he's running the team in a player/ast gm duo role.

Personally I'd trade the pick down for 2 picks in the first round high as possible. I'd dump Calderon and the 2018 1st to a team needing a backup pg and a likelihood of meeting salary cap floor minimum, to create more cap space

I'd rather have Mudiay, Okafor, Towns, Russell, or WCS than the likely results we would get if we traded the pick. Screw this contribute immediately stuff that Melo is selling. Unless there is some shocking blockbuster signing in the works, we have time to get better.

Broadway

All Star
I'd rather have Mudiay, Okafor, Towns, Russell, or WCS than the likely results we would get if we traded the pick. Screw this contribute immediately stuff that Melo is selling. Unless there is some shocking blockbuster signing in the works, we have time to get better.

Yeah I would never trade the pick for a full star or quasi star fudge. I would trade the pick to get multiple picks in this yrs draft though.

Yeah Melo almost at every moment shows how much of a TARD he is. Dude simply thinks too much of himself. If he was being consulted as much as he leads us to believe or his consultation having the impact he feels it has we wouldn't have landed in the lottery 2yrs in a row and quite frankly Phil wouldn't be here.

When he's no longer a Knick it will eventually sink in for everyone

tiger0330

Legend
I see Melo's point in trading the pick esp if it's going to be pick 3-6, just remember Thomas Robinson and Johnny Flynn from recent memory and our own Kenny "Sky" Walker our last top five pick nearly 30 years ago. I saw enough of Calderon to see he's dead weight for the next 2 years, unload him for a player like Danny Green, if the Spurs don't want to pay Green they may agree to trade him for their 25-30 pick.

I've said this before but Phil has boxed himself in by signing a 31 year old as your centerpiece player. He's got a 2-3 year window to do something with the Knicks otherwise we're talking about Melo possibly turning into the has been Caleron is now. He should at least be looking at trading the pick no matter where it falls.

Broadway

All Star
I see Melo's point in trading the pick esp if it's going to be pick 3-6, just remember Thomas Robinson and Johnny Flynn from recent memory and our own Kenny "Sky" Walker our last top five pick nearly 30 years ago. I saw enough of Calderon to see he's dead weight for the next 2 years, unload him for a player like Danny Green, if the Spurs don't want to pay Green they may agree to trade him for their 25-30 pick.

I've said this before but Phil has boxed himself in by signing a 31 year old as your centerpiece player. He's got a 2-3 year window to do something with the Knicks otherwise we're talking about Melo possibly turning into the has been Caleron is now. He should at least be looking at trading the pick no matter where it falls.

Melo doesn't want Phil to trade the pick really at all. He said he understood if he did but doesn't feel it's necessary. What he needs to do is STHU and worry about playing basketball only. He's not an executive. I don't care how much he talks with the flunkie that is Mills in his office, doesn't matter. His words and thought process has absolutely negative value and impact here

Also if you look back at previous drafts Picks 3-6 produced Harden/Westbrook/Love/Beal/Lillard/Cousins/Curry(7th)/Conley/Roy/CP3/Melo/Wade/Bosh

Although I'm not the type to look at past drafts to base decisions on what I should do this draft. I would use my current set of circumstances-needs and weigh them against the future.

Kiyaman

Legend
I would trade the pick if we could trade Melo's $124M contract with it!!!!!!

Owner James Dolan went to Denver personally to trade for Carmelo Anthony.
The Knicks has become a individual-player team on how many points ISO-Melo could score in a game.
The only player worth trading the Knicks pick for are CP3, then sign FA Deandre Jordan to a max deal.

Melo is not a postseason player .. Melo is a regular season high scorer player.
All of Melo talent/skills put together are not enough to win a playoff series.
Melo's individual performance need a coach with Phil Jackson tactics, plus Melo need super-star teammates CP3 & Marc Gasol on the roster to take the Knicks to FINALS.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If a great trade offer is made I might be for it, but it's been so long since we've had a high pick that I'd love if we drafted someone at whatever number we land, as long as the player might be worth it of course.

Broadway

All Star
If a great trade offer is made I might be for it, but it's been so long since we've had a high pick that I'd love if we drafted someone at whatever number we land, as long as the player might be worth it of course.

Agreed in terms of the purity of owning a very high pick and letting the home grown talent mature. Needless to say depending on where we land and what teams prove to be in want, trading down has to be heavily considered. We need to get younger, quicker, faster, and in quantity. What I don't want is to trade the pick away for what would appear to be a quick fix.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Agreed in terms of the purity of owning a very high pick and letting the home grown talent mature. Needless to say depending on where we land and what teams prove to be in want, trading down has to be heavily considered. We need to get younger, quicker, faster, and in quantity. What I don't want is to trade the pick away for what would appear to be a quick fix.
Yeah. I think between the two, nothing with be more painful for me if a traded pick turns out to be an impact player though. I could live with the trade offer turns out to be better, but the pick turning out to be much better, man.

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah. I think between the two, nothing with be more painful for me if a traded pick turns out to be an impact player though. I could live with the trade offer turns out to be better, but the pick turning out to be much better, man.
The draft is such a crap shoot and even if a prospect is good it takes a while for them to develop since they usually only have a year of college experience under their belts. Look at Steph Curry, he was drafted in 2009 and is just starting to flourish and there was a time in his career when he had his ankle problems that you had questions. Melo's best window of opportunity is the first 3 years of his contract not his last 2 so if the Knicks can get an established player with the draft pick and a lower 1st rounder I think you do it. Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The draft is such a crap shoot and even if a prospect is good it takes a while for them to develop since they usually only have a year of college experience under their belts. Look at Steph Curry, he was drafted in 2009 and is just starting to flourish and there was a time in his career when he had his ankle problems that you had questions. Melo's best window of opportunity is the first 3 years of his contract not his last 2 so if the Knicks can get an established player with the draft pick and a lower 1st rounder I think you do it. Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
That's true, and the Knicks haven't won the championship since 1973, but what KIND of established player? Unless the player is Gasol or a young established player, the Knicks shouldn't be risking their longtime future for Melo. Not Melo bashing, but at this point that established player better be a damn good player for the Knicks to risk taking on a two-three year win now mode team. I don't know how good Melo will be in four years.

Paul1355

All Star
I would trade the pick if we could trade Melo's $124M contract with it!!!!!!

Owner James Dolan went to Denver personally to trade for Carmelo Anthony.
The Knicks has become a individual-player team on how many points ISO-Melo could score in a game.
The only player worth trading the Knicks pick for are CP3, then sign FA Deandre Jordan to a max deal.

Melo is not a postseason player .. Melo is a regular season high scorer player.
All of Melo talent/skills put together are not enough to win a playoff series.
Melo's individual performance need a coach with Phil Jackson tactics, plus Melo need super-star teammates CP3 & Marc Gasol on the roster to take the Knicks to FINALS.

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 12.46.13 PM.jpg

As a Knick, yes Melo hasn't been the best playoff contributor since he shoots about 40% FG and 30% from 3 point land...however he still manages to score nearly 28 ppg with 5 rebounds and 1 steal on average. And with Denver his percentages were even better.

He can perform in the playoffs and never had championship talent around him. His best chances were with Denver with a healthy younger Chauncey Billups, Aaron Afflalo, etc. But even then most guys that win championships have better supporting casts.

What Melo said about the offseason is true: "We need good players"...case in point. He needs a supporting cast.

pat

Starter

I hate to break it to you. There is now championship window for Melo. He is there to put tourists into the seats. Everything you hear is just marketing to make fans suffer through this. We need to rebuild with young talent over the next 10 years or so. Getting any player above or close to 30 is just going to prolong our suffering.

Broadway

All Star
I hate to break it to you. There is now championship window for Melo. He is there to put tourists into the seats. Everything you hear is just marketing to make fans suffer through this. We need to rebuild with young talent over the next 10 years or so. Getting any player above or close to 30 is just going to prolong our suffering.

Yeah Phil is busy trying to get the crowbar under the window to pry it open. The more time that goes by the more grime, crud, rust settles in the window.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Pat I agree with you but why would you want that has been Calderon on the Knicks if you think PJ should have dumped Melo for draft picks and gone young?

Paul1355

All Star

Which is why I like the idea of signing Greg Monroe. He is a 24 year old on the brink of being worth a max contract.

I also like the idea of signing two way guards such as Kris Middleton or Danny Green both under 30

Broadway

All Star
Which is why I like the idea of signing Greg Monroe. He is a 24 year old on the brink of being worth a max contract.

I also like the idea of signing two way guards such as Kris Middleton or Danny Green both under 30

If Greg put up those numbers on a good team, you could consider paying him Max. Putting up those numbers on a bad team you're aligning yourself to making a big mistake.

Last edited: