Phil Speaks To The "TIMES" About Our Times

Broadway

All Star
There are some points in this article I don't like at all, I already posted one but the Carmelo thing is really disturbing. There are some things I like though.

tiger0330

Legend
PJ is going to find the FA pool limited if he rules out guys that think like this. Why did he take 60M of Dolans money and write books and exploit his 11 rings if he wasn't a self serving egotist himself. He pretty much admits Mills is running the team in this interview, really for 60M.

We’re not interested in guys who are just interested in the money and in their branding. They have to have a little more to their life than just those selfish desires. There’s nothing wrong with chasing money, and there’s nothing wrong with making the most from your name. But that seems to be the running theme that you see a lot these days.

Broadway

All Star
PJ is going to find the FA pool limited if he rules out guys that think like this. Why did he take 60M of Dolans money and write books and exploit his 11 rings if he wasn't a self serving egotist himself. He pretty much admits Mills is running the team in this interview, really for 60M.

We’re not interested in guys who are just interested in the money and in their branding. They have to have a little more to their life than just those selfish desires. There’s nothing wrong with chasing money, and there’s nothing wrong with making the most from your name. But that seems to be the running theme that you see a lot these days.

Yeah but signed Melo who carries himself in this very fashion...doing Bloomburg conventions, launching venture capitalist firm, getting lump sum payments in advance, doing short films, buying soccer teams, and allowed to play in All-Star game because of "SHOE CONTRACT" obligations. Are your "freakin kidding me?"

Monroe you're next you can ask Phil for anything you want...he said multiple times "WE NEED BIGS!"...

Start branding "THE MOOSE of NEW YORK"

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah but signed Melo who carries himself in this very fashion...doing Bloomburg conventions, launching venture capitalist firm, getting lump some payments in advance, doing short films, buying soccer teams, and allowed to play in All-Star game because of "SHOE CONTRACT" obligations. Are your "freakin kidding me?"

Monroe you're next you can ask Phil for anything you want...he said multiple times "WE NEED BIGS!"...

Start branding "THE MOOSE of NEW YORK"
lol :agreed:

e66439e0201f465dcedfe22a9e17fe5d.jpg

tiger0330

Legend

This guy thought PJ was an idiot in that interview and I agree. NY fans need to re-assess what Phil Jackson brings to the table for NY, nothing, he lets Steve Mills run the show and that triangle sucks when you have to fit the players into the system regardless of talent.

CoolClyde

it's not a bad interview, Phil's not giving up any info other than the obvious fact they need a big. Robert Silverman is a nitpicky jewtard who makes his living dissecting conversations and making headlines out of nothing, typical brat reporter with tiny balls.

Paul1355

All Star
After reading that I think if Okafor falls to 4 Knicks will def grab him but it sounds like Winslow and Mudiay are the two possibilities at 4.

They have been working out so many guys you would think that they have their eyes set on trading down and getting 2 or 3 guys in the draft instead of one.

Phil has mentioned how badly the knicks need big men for some time now and this confirms it. He will target every big man in free agency. I see him signing a PF and Center...maybe Greg Monroe and Robin Lopez.

We can live with Mudiay, Calderon, Galloway or Shved starting at PG since triangle doesnt need a really good PG.

Starting SG will either go to Hardaway or Winslow if he is drafted.

Melo is the starting SF

I think Monroe is the most realistic signing at PF

I don't think Phil makes Monroe the center, so I'd say this spot goes to Robin Lopez or Omir Asik.

I predict this:

If Mudiay is drafted= Calderon, Mudiay, Melo, Monroe, Lopez/Asik

If Winslow is drafted= Calderon, Winslow, Melo, Monroe, Lopez/Asik

If Cauley Stein is drafted= Calderon, Hardaway, Melo, Monroe, Stein

If Porzingis is drafted= Calderon, Hardaway, Melo, Porzingis, Monroe

Paul1355

All Star

This guy thought PJ was an idiot in that interview and I agree. NY fans need to re-assess what Phil Jackson brings to the table for NY, nothing, he lets Steve Mills run the show and that triangle sucks when you have to fit the players into the system regardless of talent.
By admitting that Mills handles all the communication with other teams makes me think Jackson is really just a face and advisor of sorts. if it brings a different culture to this pathetic team I could care less how Dolan wastes his money.

Paul1355

All Star

Any Big man that has a decent mid range shot is a fit in the triangle. Monroe is a good fit because he is a good passer and cans core whenever he wants.

tiger0330

Legend
Any Big man that has a decent mid range shot is a fit in the triangle. Monroe is a good fit because he is a good passer and cans core whenever he wants.
I agree if PJ picks a guy based on whether he fits the triangle, Greg Monroe is the guy.

I've said I don't like the triangle and this guy said it better than me.

This is probably pretty far from what most fans want to hear. After enduring such a disastrous 2015 season, getting the most talent on the roster in advance of next year, while not being married to any one system or style of play, would seem to make the most sense.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This whole "triangle offense" thing is bugging me, mostly because good coaches make the best of their players' talents; they don't just try to make their players play whatever system the coach likes more. If we wanted a coach that threw all caution to the wind and tried to make everyone play his way, we should've just kept Mike D'Antoni.

Paul1355

All Star
This whole "triangle offense" thing is bugging me, mostly because good coaches make the best of their players' talents; they don't just try to make their players play whatever system the coach likes more. If we wanted a coach that threw all caution to the wind and tried to make everyone play his way, we should've just kept Mike D'Antoni.
Well try telling Jackson that, who won 11 rings with his system. It's a system that forces players to be unselfish so we should all appreciate that but the question is if fisher is the right man to teach it and if we have the players to play it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Well try telling Jackson that, who won 11 rings with his system. It's a system that forces players to be unselfish so we should all appreciate that but the question is if fisher is the right man to teach it and if we have the players to play it.

I agree that it's a system that works, but I'm not sure if 2nd year head coach Derek Fisher is the best person to teach it, or if Carmelo "ball movement stopper" Anthony can even play in it.

In addition, there are players who could obvious contribute in the triangle offense in theory, like Frank Kaminsky, who simply aren't that talented in other areas of the game, and drafting them just because they're good triangle offense players doesn't seem to make much sense. But it shouldn't be a big deal, because the top players available at 4 are all coachable players with good work ethic who could find a way to make their games work in the triangle offense.

Part of me wonders if we should just go and poach a Spurs' head coach to replicate what Budenholzer did this year for the Hawks and what the Spurs did last year in the Finals against the Heat

Paul1355

All Star
I agree that it's a system that works, but I'm not sure if 2nd year head coach Derek Fisher is the best person to teach it, or if Carmelo "ball movement stopper" Anthony can even play in it.

In addition, there are players who could obvious contribute in the triangle offense in theory, like Frank Kaminsky, who simply aren't that talented in other areas of the game, and drafting them just because they're good triangle offense players doesn't seem to make much sense. But it shouldn't be a big deal, because the top players available at 4 are all coachable players with good work ethic who could find a way to make their games work in the triangle offense.

Part of me wonders if we should just go and poach a Spurs' head coach to replicate what Budenholzer did this year for the Hawks and what the Spurs did last year in the Finals against the Heat
Well the staff isn't changing until Jackson leaves so the last part of your post is wishful thinking. Phil runs the show.

Anthony can be more effective in the triangle as a Power forward but if we sign Monroe than I'd rather have him at the 4 spot and then draft or sign a defensive minded center. So Melo would start as a SF.

We need guys that can hit midrange and 3 point shots. We had too many ineffective shooters while being trigger hapoy from mid range. Either Hardaway needs to be more consistent or we need to add a Danny Green type sharpshooter. Getting a point that can hit a jumper is ideal as well.

tiger0330

Legend
Frank Isola's take on PJ's NY Times interview. Why would you script and approve an interview that basically said you were nothing more than an obscenely paid consultant for the Knicks. I agree with Isola, for 60M Phil should be working 24/7 to fix the Knicks.

This was always Phil Jackson’s time of year. No one ever won in June like Jackson, who eventually ran out of fingers for all of his NBA Championship rings.
And while coaching ready-made teams with legendary players is certainly a skill, it’s a far cry from having the skill set to build a contender. And 15 months into his tenure as Knicks president, Jackson has done nothing to demonstrate that he has the know-how or work ethic to turn a perennial loser into a championship team.
On Friday, as the Golden State Warriors were celebrating their title with a parade and rally in Oakland, Jackson was making comments that bordered on insane and depressing.
At the very least, Garden Chairman James Dolan has to be wondering if he made a massive $60 million mistake by hiring Jackson in the first place.
In an arranged and scripted interview with the only New York newspaper that Jackson has, up to this point, shown any interest in talking to, the Zen Capitalist hinted that he may not be around that much longer and that Steve Mills, the team’s general manager, is doing most of the heavy lifting anyway.
“I see Steve as the future of this franchise,” Jackson told the New York Times. “I mean, I’m here for a time, and I’m trying to help turn it around the best way I can.”
Mills was already in the front office when Dolan, looking for a protective shield from media and fan criticism, hired Jackson. Friday marked the first time that Jackson identified Mills as his successor which is interesting since Dolan, who recently hired Isiah Thomas to run the WNBA’s Liberty, probably has a different vision for the Knicks’ future.
Regardless of what the future holds for Jackson, Mills and Thomas, it’s quite alarming that Jackson, despite his lucrative contract, isn’t as hands-on as you would expect.

“Steve does most of the communications with other teams,” Jackson added.
To recap, Mills, who wasn’t involved in the day-to-day operations of the Knicks when Thomas ran the team, is running everything while Thomas runs the Liberty. Jackson is so invested in the job that he still doesn’t think it was important to take a half-mile cab ride from his posh Manhattan apartment to represent the Knicks at last month’s NBA Draft Lottery. By the way, Larry Bird flew in from Indiana to represent the Pacers.
What is Dolan paying Phil for again?
In the Q&A, which allowed Jackson’s nonsense to go unchallenged, he did provide some comic moments when he suggested that the rest of the league’s decision makers should have shown him some love for building the worst team in the history of the franchise. Seriously.
“I knew it was going to be a challenge,” Jackson said. “We just didn’t have any room to work last year. We knew that we were going to have to make big changes with the limitations that we had, being in a locked-in situation as far as the salary cap goes. That’s why when I said recently that I didn’t know why I wasn’t given some votes for executive of the year, I wasn’t kidding. I was really serious. We had a yeoman’s job of having to get rid of a lot of fat on our roster to get to where we are. I saw Mitch Kupchak got a vote, so I know some people valued what the Lakers were doing obviously.”
Why stop there? Ask Dolan for a raise. Because if anyone deserves to back up the Brinks truck its Phil, not the players.
“We’re not interested in guys who are just interested in the money and in their branding,” the Zen Capitalist added.

That Jackson thinks he’s done a swell job is scary. What’s also scary is that on Thursday the Knicks have a chance to alter the direction of their franchise but Jackson is in charge of making the fourth overall pick. The next good move he makes will be his first.
And yes, he even admitted that he’s looking for a player that fits — wait for it — the triangle offense.
“I have a definite idea about how I want a team to look and what kind of skills the players need to have,” he said.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Overall don't have major issues with what's he saying as I expected most of this after the Times piece. Although The Steve Mill things is alarming

Kiyaman

Legend
By admitting that Mills handles all the communication with other teams makes me think Jackson is really just a face and advisor of sorts. if it brings a different culture to this pathetic team I could care less how Dolan wastes his money.

Dolan wanted a big name Face to keep Individual Star ISO-Melo ..
Ex-coach Phil Jackson sold Dolan his name n face for $60M.
When Phil graded a big F last offseason, then scored another big F in the regular season games
Dolan hasnt let go of being the owner/GM of Knicks .. nuthin change