Knicks plan on starting Porzingis at PF opening night

mafra

Legend
http://nypost.com/2015/10/19/you-havent-heard-about-it-but-the-knicks-are-building-optimism/

“We’ll see what happens with Kris, but I like him in there as well,’’ Fisher said, referring to the starting unit. “The good part of all this, we can choose another guy and we’ll be fine, too. That’s what’s different about this team.’’

To me, it's not that big of a deal. It allows Melo to stay at SF, spaces floor on offense and gives Lopez help in the interior on defense. O'quinn and Williams and Gallo will give our second unit the necessary firepower. And, we know what matters most is who finishes the game.

Besides, this will fluctuate nightly based in match ups, production, and performances.

tiger0330

Legend
Good seeing you back Mafra. I said DFish was going to start him when he was playing Thomas as the starter instead of Quinn or DWill when he was out . I'm against him starting, if the Knicks were having a crappy pre-season and went 0-6 then yeah start him, you're losing so just make the season a year to develop the kids. But that's not the case, the team has gelled well and while it is only pre-season they've looked good on both ends. Quinn has really looked good vs. Zinger who has just been OK in games he has played, Quinn should start and get 30 minutes, he's earned it.

BTW, it couid be worse, D'Angelo Russell might have fallen to us, Lakers have to be worried because he's not looking like a number 2 pick right now.

mafra

Legend
Good seeing you back Mafra. I said DFish was going to start him when he was playing Thomas as the starter instead of Quinn or DWill when he was out . I'm against him starting, if the Knicks were having a crappy pre-season and went 0-6 then yeah start him, you're losing so just make the season a year to develop the kids. But that's not the case, the team has gelled well and while it is only pre-season they've looked good on both ends. Quinn has really looked good vs. Zinger who has just been OK in games he has played, Quinn should start and get 30 minutes, he's earned it.

BTW, it couid be worse, D'Angelo Russell might have fallen to us, Lakers have to be worried because he's not looking like a number 2 pick right now.

What's going on tiger-man... Time for another season. Yeah, this move is somewhat perplexing... But, I believe this is all about specific match ups on a nightly basis... Quinn and Williams will see majority of time on the court anyway... I see Porz starting, just to settle team in defensively and see if he hits some shots... He's still only gonna play about 18-20 minutes.

i think fisher wants to get Melo lots of rest... And this means having a potent second team... Then, come fourth, whoever is hot... Ride that hot hand.

yeah... Russell doesn't look good. And, thankfully, we avoided Winslow. Still cannot believe so many called for him at 4. Stanley looks like a man tho.

tiger0330

Legend
Russell isn't that athletic, not that fast and if he can't shoot you don't have that much. I can't believe Kupchak said he had that IT quality that made him pass on Okafor.

Before the preseason began I wanted to see what that twin tower lineup looked like because I thought it was the future but I'm not feeling it anymore. Lopez is overrated IMO and Zinger isn't seasoned enough, playing the two together isn't the best front court the Knicks could put out there. DFish can juggle the lineups and get Quinn and DWill 30 mins apiece but I don't see the reason to start Zinger along with Lopez.

Its only preseason and the boys have really looked good but even Clyde Frazier isn't convinced about our offense when he said the Knicks won't do much better than scoring the 91ppg they scored last season. I think he's wrong, this is a much better shooting team than last year.

Broadway

All Star
Russell isn't that athletic, not that fast and if he can't shoot you don't have that much. I can't believe Kupchak said he had that IT quality that made him pass on Okafor.

Before the preseason began I wanted to see what that twin tower lineup looked like because I thought it was the future but I'm not feeling it anymore. Lopez is overrated IMO and Zinger isn't seasoned enough, playing the two together isn't the best front court the Knicks could put out there. DFish can juggle the lineups and get Quinn and DWill 30 mins apiece but I don't see the reason to start Zinger along with Lopez.

Its only preseason and the boys have really looked good but even Clyde Frazier isn't convinced about our offense when he said the Knicks won't do much better than scoring the 91ppg they scored last season. I think he's wrong, this is a much better shooting team than last year.

I'm gonna be watching exactly how much Fisher involves Porzingis into what we're doing, otherwise at face value I'm chalking this up as window dressing. Based on Preseason play and durability O'Quinn probably should be starting, based on what we need and hope for it has to be Porzingis but make no mistake about it he hasn't EARNED a starting spot by any means. He hasn't played bad but he hasn't stood out either.

Mudiay once again looks fantastic outside of his TOs, may be Nuggets best player right now. Charlotte is now 6-0 in Preseason and Jordan has recently declared Jeremy Lin the team's most important offseason acquisition. Lin has looked great as a backup in Clifford's system thus far. His hair otoh is so Iman Shumpert and rest of league gimmicky...lol.

I guess Charlotte is good, I mean heck they beat us...oh wait reminder to self that

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

Im convinced like Clyde Frazier .. the Knicks averaged 100 points in the preseason games from the bench-players running an uptempo triangle offense. Clyde mention at Hornets game this wont happen when a 38 minute Melo on the court with the ball in his hands. I agree.

I could have been more optimistic, I was expecting to see coach Fisher put rookie Porzingis n Grant in all the preseason starting lineups. So Knicks fans could receive the same confidence as PJ had on draft night selecting the two first-round picks.

Grant has average 24 min playingtime in 5 preseason games .. 7 pts, 4 ast, 2 fouls, and 2 turnovers on a total of 13-37 fg shooting, he did get to the FT line in each of the games. Compared to Mudiay's 28 min PT in 4 preseason games 15 pts, 6 ast, 1 stl, 2 fls, and 4 turnovers a game shooting .400 fg%

Kris Porzingis not looking-good playing 3 preseason games out of 5, playing 21 minutes in each 3 games total 1 trip to foul line, 9-27 shooting, 16 rebs, 5 ast, 4 Blocks, 1 stl, 5 fouls, 5 turnovers, plus took a total of 7 shots at the 3-pt line in the 3 games .. Zingis is a rookie thats taller than our center (n most centers), its Zingis inside performance the Knicks need.
In my coaching opinion .. its the head coach blame/fault where n when the big men gets the ball and what they do with it. I dont care if my 7.3 center rookie are able to hit 60% from the 3 pt line, Zingis ia a 7.3 footer Knicks fans need to see everything Zingis could do and develop in the MIDDLE for the next 2 seasons. Its all good our big rookie could hit 3 balls its good for emergency only, but u dont draft a 7 footer to shoot 3-balls in each game, u draft players like PG-Curry, or SG K.Thompson, or SF IGGY to shoot 3-balls each game.
Plus a smart coach Pop let veteran center/PF shoot from the 3 pt line when there are less than 2 minutes left in the quarter lol unless broken play Dunkin heave up a 3

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm gonna be watching exactly how much Fisher involves Porzingis into what we're doing, otherwise at face value I'm chalking this up as window dressing. Based on Preseason play and durability O'Quinn probably should be starting, based on what we need and hope for it has to be Porzingis but make no mistake about he hasn't EARNED a starting spot by any means. He hasn't played bad but he hasn't stood out either.

I guess Charlotte is good, I mean heck they beat us...oh wait reminder to self that

u are right .. Porzingis has not prove to be NBA Ready to give 24 minute PT in a 82 gm season.
A starter spot for Zingis is out of the question during his rookie season.

It has already been decided whether PJ or Fisher know it by fans .... O'Quinn double-double type of performance in 4 preseason games has already won fan-favorite to be the starting PF for the Knicks regular season games.
Knicks center Lopez will need all of PF O'Quinn talent in the starting lineup.
The Knicks need Lopez & O'Quinn to stay injury free this season.

tiger0330

Legend
Im convinced like Clyde Frazier .. the Knicks averaged 100 points in the preseason games from the bench-players running an uptempo triangle offense. Clyde mention at Hornets game this wont happen when a 38 minute Melo on the court with the ball in his hands. I agree.

I could have been more optimistic, I was expecting to see coach Fisher put rookie Porzingis n Grant in all the preseason starting lineups. So Knicks fans could receive the same confidence as PJ had on draft night selecting the two first-round picks.

Grant has average 24 min playingtime in 5 preseason games .. 7 pts, 4 ast, 2 fouls, and 2 turnovers on a total of 13-37 fg shooting, he did get to the FT line in each of the games. Compared to Mudiay's 28 min PT in 4 preseason games 15 pts, 6 ast, 1 stl, 2 fls, and 4 turnovers a game shooting .400 fg%

Kris Porzingis not looking-good playing 3 preseason games out of 5, playing 21 minutes in each 3 games total 1 trip to foul line, 9-27 shooting, 16 rebs, 5 ast, 4 Blocks, 1 stl, 5 fouls, 5 turnovers, plus took a total of 7 shots at the 3-pt line in the 3 games .. Zingis is a rookie thats taller than our center (n most centers), its Zingis inside performance the Knicks need.
In my coaching opinion .. its the head coach blame/fault where n when the big men gets the ball and what they do with it. I dont care if my 7.3 center rookie are able to hit 60% from the 3 pt line, Zingis ia a 7.3 footer Knicks fans need to see everything Zingis could do and develop in the MIDDLE for the next 2 seasons. Its all good our big rookie could hit 3 balls its good for emergency only, but u dont draft a 7 footer to shoot 3-balls in each game, u draft players like PG-Curry, or SG K.Thompson, or SF IGGY to shoot 3-balls each game.
Plus a smart coach Pop let veteran center/PF shoot from the 3 pt line when there are less than 2 minutes left in the quarter lol unless broken play Dunkin heave up a 3
Kiya, the game has changed your rook Kaminsky is a 7 footer like Zinger that is going to shoot the 3. Cody Zeller is another 7 footer that can shoot it. Big Al was lamenting the change in the game saying he wishes a back to the basket game was back in vogue and says he may not be playing anymore when it happens but it will return to the game one day.

Zinger does need to develop a couple of go to moves around the basket, doesn't have to be anything fancy, left and right hand baby hook shot that falls in 60% of the time would be a nice start.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya, the game has changed your rook Kaminsky is a 7 footer like Zinger that is going to shoot the 3. Cody Zeller is another 7 footer that can shoot it. Big Al was lamenting the change in the game saying he wishes a back to the basket game was back in vogue and says he may not be playing anymore when it happens but it will return to the game one day.

Zinger does need to develop a couple of go to moves around the basket, doesn't have to be anything fancy, left and right hand baby hook shot that falls in 60% of the time would be a nice start.

When it comes to 7 footers shooting perimeter 3s .. I would take Robert Horry over Dirk why?
Because at the end of the day (the Postseason games) a BIGMAN will have to perform like a big man in the paint to win.
Tonight the Cavs resign 6.11 Tristan Thompson to play alongside of 7.0 Mozgov, 7.0 Varegao, and 6.10 Love.
How many of the Cavs 4 big men has the habit of shooting 3s? one!

I don't have problems with a 7 footer shootin 3 balls, as long as the 7 footer could provide the Knicks with certain dominating talents inside the PAINT, like defend-paint, blockshot in paint, score in paint, and rebound in paint ..
Kaminski showed all those talents inside the paint for 4 yrs in college.
Porzingis SL & preseason performance was short with a zip bang but no boom making Zingis still a ???

Kiyaman

Legend
i think fisher wants to get Melo lots of rest... And this means having a potent second team... Then, come fourth, whoever is hot... Ride that hot hand.

yeah... Russell doesn't look good. And, thankfully, we avoided Winslow. Still cannot believe so many called for him at 4. Stanley looks like a man tho.

The Rookies ....
D'Angelo Russell are a 2 to 3 year project.
Winslow handle n passing-skills would've been great for the Knicks at the SG position the next 2 years, then let him move up to the forward spot.
Stanley Johnson all-around talent will give the Pistons PG R.Jackson n PG Jennings a lot of dimes to exploit a playoff birth for the Pistons.
Bobby Portis double-double talent will give the Bulls big men Noah & Gasol a lot of rest in the season.
Frank Kaminsky double-double talent will help the Hornets in midseason to move up to a 5th/6th seeded team.

I think Fisher need to work on GELLING a starter lineup the first 20 games to select the best 6th man for the starting lineup. The bench-depth is a 2nd priority when u dont have a reliable starter lineup.

Stuff like this make no sense ...when player O'Quinn fits perfect in the starter lineup, plus best PF on team.
According to Ian Begley of ESPN.com, rookie Kristaps Porzingis will be on the floor for tip-off not only on Thursday, but for the season opener October 28 at the Milwaukee Bucks, too.
New York Knicks coach Derek Fisher indicated Wednesday that rookie Kristaps Porzingis will be in the starting lineup on opening night.
Porzingis will start alongside Jose Calderon, Arron Afflalo, Carmelo Anthony and Robin Lopez in the Knicks? preseason finale against Boston on Thursday.