[RealGM] The Worst Free-Agent Signings ...

rady

Administrator
Staff member
The Worst Free-Agent Signings Of The Last Ten Years
10) Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway – Signed by the Suns in 1999 for $84 million over 7 years

This was considered a great acquisition at the time as Penny was a two-time all-NBA First Team star. He had one decent season for the Suns, averaging over 16 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists and was bit by the injury bug soon after. Penny never quite recovered and was shipped to the only team that would take on his inflated contract, the New York Knicks , along with Penny Hardaway for expiring contracts and some young talent that never panned out. While the trade seems one-sided, it gave them the cap space to sign Steve Nash and possibly Joe Johnson if they decide to match an offer made by the Atlanta Hawks .

And the list goes on..

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Before Penny got hurt, he was on track to be one of the best PG's of all time. The guy was simply amazing in Orlando. He made EVERYTHING he did look effortlessly smooth. He was completely unstoppable no matter who guarded him, including Jordan. I have no doubt in my mind that they would have won the NBA championship had it not been for Nick Anderson's meltdown. The Suns took a chance that he was going to return to his former self since the injury happened so early in his career. It just didn't payoff.

thwax

Benchwarmer
What is sad is that we have had 4 of the ten worst signings over the last ten years: Hardaway, TT, Vin Baker, and Houston... we just better not pick up Juwan Howard or Jalen Rose :rolling:

ny3nyk

Rotation player
i dont think juwan's going to be playing soon, he had an irregular heartbeat just before the playoffs if u remember

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
well its a little different when u sign someone or just take on their contract. you look stupid for signing them but if you can dump them on another team, they look stupid. like us. penny was great his first year in phoenix til he got injured.

G-Hutch

Rookie
The Knicks gave H20 $50MM in 1996 and then gave him another $100MM. $150MM in less than 10 years? That takes the cake.....

nyk33334

Benchwarmer
NYK got 4/10 worst FA signings. That is embarrasing. The McDyess signing was bad too. That's old news now. Our organization seems to be improving w/ Isiah and the Dolan family, and now the Brown family. We got a younger team this year. Atleast Nate really gave some of us the impression that he will eventually replace Steph, PHX lost a good pick. We have better leaders now. I think we're really getting ourselves back together. I hope we do better this time around.

:hump: New York Basketball!! :hump: