How Plausible is acquiring Monta Ellis?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Because it looks like he could be on his way out, if GSW finally makes up their mind about him. We've heard this song and dance about him before...they're fielding offers...they back out...they're gonna trade him...he's staying put.

But after last night's draft...it looks like life without "The real life Michael Scofield" (look up the character if you don't get the reference) could be coming soon to the bay area.

The T'wolves did not offer Kevin Love for Pau Gasol, as reported; it was Michael Beasley & a No. 2. Lakers asked for Love and proposed Lamar Odom. Despite denials from GM Mitch Kupchak, L.A. presented several teams about Odom, including the Warriors (Shannon Brown was a throw-in) for Monta Ellis.
A few days ago, it appeared as if the Warriors had decided to keep Ellis despite some very attractive propositions. However, late yesterday, they were back to giving serious thought to moving him if the pitch blew them away.
Word has it Ellis' agent, Jeff Fried, who did not return my call, informed management his client wants to be dealt.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/head_of_the_class_Tcg0aTzAuXafienugJbl4J#ixzz1QCuUhFbQ

The only thing is, based on that offer alone, we'd need to elicit a third team.

But we have to try....don't we? This dude is. a. BEAST. And he can play the point at a high level (put on full display when Curry was out of the lineup last season and Reggie played the 2 position.)

Donnie...Glen....James....Jesus...anyone? Please, get this man.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
The numbers would be similar, they'd need a throw in or two to balance it out...but it seems like they're looking for front court depth.

I say get a third team involved that either stocked up on young bigs in the draft or just has an extra one.... Paul Milsap anyone? The Jazz LOVE Favors, have Al, and drafted Kanter, I think a deal can be done.

Also, GSW might be willing to do Monta a favor since it's likely that he would want to get traded to a contending team. It's gonna have to be a contending team in the Eastern Conference....no reason to willingly create a monster in your own conference that you're gonna have to compete with.

The Knicks brass really need to be on the phone right now with Ellis' agent Fried, and the Warrior's GM. If he can be had...go get him.

I like the way you're thinking. Maybe we could get the Hornets involved and they could have Ellis while shipping CP3 to the Knicks. Paul isnt going to sign with N O anyway, it would be a great way for them to get back an impact PG...

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
The numbers would be similar, they'd need a throw in or two to balance it out...but it seems like they're looking for front court depth.

I say get a third team involved that either stocked up on young bigs in the draft or just has an extra one.... Paul Milsap anyone? The Jazz LOVE Favors, have Al, and drafted Kanter, I think a deal can be done.

Also, GSW might be willing to do Monta a favor since it's likely that he would want to get traded to a contending team. It's gonna have to be a contending team in the Eastern Conference....no reason to willingly create a monster in your own conference that you're gonna have to compete with.

The Knicks brass really need to be on the phone right now with Ellis' agent Fried, and the Warrior's GM. If he can be had...go get him.

I don't like Ellis for the knicks. We have enough firepower in STAT, Melo, and Billups.

Remember the Melo/ AI experiment?
Two very explosive scorers in one team is enough IMO (STAT N' MELO). I'd rather keep Billups or look for a better deal.

Only upside is Monta is younger. Well, if it did happen, I guess we can use him as bait to get CP3

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I don't like Ellis for the knicks. We have enough firepower in STAT, Melo, and Billups.

Remember the Melo/ AI experiment?
Two very explosive scorers in one team is not gonna win us a chip. I'd rather keep Billups or look for a better deal.

Only upside is Monta is younger

If two very explosive scorers isn't gonna win us a chip then we're already failing because STAT and Melo are about as explosive as explosive gets. And I guess the comparison to AI might be a fair one...but Monta has shown his ability to run an offense several times last year. When Curry was out, he slid over to PG, Reggie Williams started at the 2, and he put up Derrick Rose numbers...25 & 8. He averaged 5 assists as primarily the two guard, and he had multiple games of 11+ assists even with Curry in the starting lineup.

I think he'd be a steal for us.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Plus he shoots a high percentage and can get to the free throw line, he can come off of picks and fine someone or score the rock. He's athletic, he's durable...what's the downside other than "not being CP3?"

Edit: Dude was third in the league in assists among "non-point guards," behind LBJ and Iggy.....why is he being slept on?

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
If two very explosive scorers isn't gonna win us a chip then we're already failing because STAT and Melo are about as explosive as explosive gets. And I guess the comparison to AI might be a fair one...but Monta has shown his ability to run an offense several times last year. When Curry was out, he slid over to PG, Reggie Williams started at the 2, and he put up Derrick Rose numbers...25 & 8. He averaged 5 assists as primarily the two guard, and he had multiple games of 11+ assists even with Curry in the starting lineup.

I think he'd be a steal for us.

Fair enough.

It's just that this reminds me of that Melo/A.I. combination. Remember that A.I. also tried to be a facilitator and actually got 7-9 assisits at one point.

But then again, Monta is a different player.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Plus he shoots a high percentage and can get to the free throw line, he can come off of picks and fine someone or score the rock. He's athletic, he's durable...what's the downside other than "not being CP3?"

Edit: Dude was third in the league in assists among "non-point guards," behind LBJ and Iggy.....why is he being slept on?

Plus, how is his defense?
I don't know much about him other than his great finishing abilities around the basket and decent shooting

metrocard

Legend
I hate to say such a common statement, but his stats are inflated. He's a 6"3 combo guard and its really not going to fit with a team that has Carmelo Anthony and Amare.

Monta is not used to being a 3rd option, ever in his career. Since he's been in the league he's been leading his team in FGA per 40 min, possessions etc. I may be wrong though.

We need someone who can play around our superstars, not created traffic. Ellis has limited range also, we need a guy who can stretch the floor, like OJ Mayo or Francisco Garcia.

Paul1355

All Star
bad guy off the court, he has insulte Stephen Curry by saying that the two of them are a back court that will never work, regardless if he;s right or not there are things u don't say in sports. He is a bad egg and I not want him. Too high of a risk with the media. ]

When it comes to the Knicks, Pubic Relations is huge and they don;t nee another saga tainting their managerial reputation.

Let;s try to get Chris Paul, Andre Miller, and put Iman Shumpert as a 2 guard to bench Fields for a little while until he wake up from his rookie wall comma.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
He "insults" Steph Curry by saying a backcourt with the two of them will never work, but yet...everytime one is out of the lineup...the other's numbers go thru the roof. And this past year, Ellis' numbers eclipsed Curry's on more than a handful of occasions with them out there together..and what does the front office do? Draft a dude #11 overall who is more complementary to Curry than Ellis is...so....he was right?

He averaged 2.1 steals a game last year (third in the league) and he has unbelievable quickness...oh and he was also coached and in a system that played no defense whatsoever. If you're telling me that a dude as quick as Monta, can't stay with his guy and lead him to help...you're out of your ****ing mind.

Ellis is a volume shooter, but he's closer to efficient than he is to inefficient.

I have no idea why we would have OJ Mayo, or Francisco Garcia playing point guard....but I'd rather move Chauncey for CP3 or Monta....that is if we're also trying to win rings when Billups is pushing 40.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I dunno...maybe it's me...

When I see a dude have multiple quality games the likes of 27, 13, 4, and 4 (steals) on 9-17 shooting. I wouldn't mind having him as my PG. Yes his shots and scoring would come down...but averaging 5.6 assists a game when you are not the primary ball handler while averaging 24 points...on 45% shooting...I say why not?

You take Steph Curry out the equation, give him talent around him like STAT & Melo, in a more traditional offense (which means MDA goes at some point) you have yourself a poor man's D. Rose. Their game is very similar, except Monta has a better shot, better footwork, and is not quite as physically strong.

Are we now saying that we wouldn't want D. Rose to be our PG? Because both can use picks and explode to the rim, both have the court vision to find guys, both are elusive enough off the dribble that it takes more than one person to guard them, and both have good enough jumpshots that warrant not backing off on D.

Why is Ellis so beloved? I can ask why isn't he more beloved?

Derrick Rose MVP season: 25ppg, 7.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds, 1.0 steals, 44% FG, 32% 3PT.

Monta Ellis: 24ppg, 5.6 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 2.1 steals, 45%FG, 36% 3PT.

One dude did it as the primary ball handler, and the other did it in a shared back court with a dude who averaged 20 points and 6.8 assists a game.

Is Monta still undervalued if he played on...say...the Celtics, or Spurs as opposed to the Warriors?

Still uncertain on why Ellis is so beloved.. At this point, acquiring someone with his talents is not what we need.

monta ellis over billups any day of the week, hes not what we need? well I'm pretty sure he spreads the floor, I'm pretty sure he plays Defense averaging 2 steals a game W/ Iman and TD we would actually have a good defensive back court. I dont understand how theres even an argument here. Billups is getting too old, where was billups in the playoffs? I like billups but its a no brainer, ellis over billups. Monta ellis has been underated for years and now hes suddenly over rated lol