Knicks Very Much In Hunt For Carmelo

mafra

Legend
Who knows what's going on. Maybe this is being leaked as a jab to Nyets, a sin DEN proving a point. Maybe Melo really wont sign with NJ; maybe Stoudemire is really recruting Melo via texting.

Seems the pace of rumors will pick up until trade deadline.

BUT, Knicks will be losing Gallo, Fields, Randolph. I think Chandler wont be attractive b/c he's a free agent.

FROM ROTOWORLD.com

"The Knicks remain "very much" in the hunt for Carmelo Anthony, a source tells the New York Daily News.

With the Nets' offer apparently falling apart, Anthony waffling on signing an extension in New Jersey and Amare Stoudemire reaching out to Melo, the Knicks are swooping in.

According to the Daily News, the Knicks would be offering two out of these three -- Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields - in addition to Eddy Curry's expiring contract and at least one first-round pick. The Knicks also may be forced to take back Al Harrington from the Nuggets. Anthony's preferred destination all along has been the Knicks."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ade_talks_chances_are_5050_of_landing_al.html

DENVER - The Knicks remain very much in the hunt for Carmelo Anthony mostly because New York remains the Denver Nuggets All-Star forward's preferred destination.

A person familiar with the negotiations told the Daily News that talks between the Nuggets and Knicks are ongoing and classified the possibility of a deal with New York at "50-50."
"He'd like to play in New York," said the source, who requested anonymity. "But I don't see anything happening soon."
In order for the Knicks to acquire Anthony, team president Donnie Walsh would have to acquire at least one first-round pick to include in the deal.
The Nets can offer Denver the best package because they have multiple first-round picks.
The dilemma for the Knicks is whether or not to gut their roster for a player they could sign as a free agent after July 1. A deal for Anthony would likely have to include two of these three starters -- Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields -- plus Eddy Curry's expiring contract and at least one first-round pick. The Knicks may also have to take on a player with a long-term contract. Al Harrington could be that player.
The Nets are in serious negotiations to complete a deal for Anthony, but the source indicated that no trade is imminent.

As for whether Anthony would sign a three-year, $65 million extension to play for the Nets, the source said "it hasn't gotten to that point yet.
"He's willing to listen to them if he gets close."
Amar'e Stoudemire recently said that he doesn't think the Knicks "need much" to become a contender. In fact, he said on Monday that the team has the pieces to possibly reach the conference finals.
At least one of Stoudemire's former teammates in Phoenix believes that Stoudemire wouldn't be thrilled about adding Anthony while Stoudemire contends that he'd be in favor of adding a superstar.
Anthony was quoted on Monday saying that the Knicks may not want him because they don't want to disrupt their chemistry.
The Knicks are 21-15 heading into Tuesday night's game against the Blazers and are in position to post their first winning season in 10 years.
"Everybody is happy with the team we have and what we're doing," Gallinari said. "We have to control what we can control. We can't worry about what happens on the outside."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ces_are_5050_of_landing_al.html#ixzz1ApyKwcNd

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Not really a bad deal. I mean, I like Landry Fields and Gallinari but if you can get Carmelo Anthony for them, then you have to do it.

As good as Chandler has been as well, you have to admit that. If we can give up Chandler and NOT have to give up Fields or Gallo then that'd be amazing if we could get away with Chandler + Randolph + Walker + Curry and be done with it...

mafra

Legend
Not really a bad deal. I mean, I like Landry Fields and Gallinari but if you can get Carmelo Anthony for them, then you have to do it.

As good as Chandler has been as well, you have to admit that. If we can give up Chandler and NOT have to give up Fields or Gallo then that'd be amazing if we could get away with Chandler + Randolph + Walker + Curry and be done with it...

It hurts, but you have to give to get.

Felton, Melo, Amar'e plus one of the big 3 (Fields, Chandler, Gallo) is enough to lay the foundation.

Then you decide if you sign-n-trade Chandler for Marc Gasol in the offseason.

Still have a draft pick (Irving or Federotte), and we'll attract role players with that aforementioned foundation-4.

Williams looks like a nice bench player, so is Douglas. Who knows with Mozgov. There's Turiaf of course. SIgn 1 big and a back PG and away we go.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
If we let Landry Fields go it would be a bad move. Chandler and Gallo can improve but we know what kind of players they will be at best. We still don't know what kind of player could be Landry Fields.

For a young talented Mello...I will let Fields go along with Gallo. I like Fields but lately he has been showing some fatigue in his game. He started out the season hot because he is new, excited and the legs were fresh.

You never gamble on uncertainty, always go for what has always been working...and Mello is young, talented and can run in this system.

The coach doesn't play big men so I know Mello is on the Radar. D'antoni just doesn't want to speak about it because his son will most likely be in a multi team deal.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
If we let Landry Fields go it would be a bad move. Chandler and Gallo can improve but we know what kind of players they will be at best. We still don't know what kind of player could be Landry Fields.

That might be why you would have to live with letting him go. It's a tough choice but Melo is a top 5 forward in the prime of his career putting up 23 & 8 right now. Laundry Fields is a second round pick playing well for a rookie.

You gotta weigh the risk. Passing up on a once in a lifetime deal to put 2 of the best players at their position on the same team, or gamble that a player who's playing a heady game for a rookie will evolve into a legit top 10 player?

It's definitely not an easy move to make cause Fields is playing some damn good ball...but I think I gotta make the move to put Melo and Amar'e on the same team at the ages of 26 & 28. That's devastation on the Eastern Conference for a good while.

Flawed logic much? Don't you go with what you know rather than the unknown?

Also it really would suck to give up 2 of those 3.. If their was one I was more willing to trade than any other out of those 3 it would be Gallo. I would see if their was anyway we could get a deal which would send Denver a combination of Eddy Curry, Gallo and a few other pieces while saving Chandler and Fields.

Taking back Al Harrington....lol

mafra

Legend
Fields is a revelation A supurb ROLE player. He benefits from the talent around him, and he takes advantage of that. he leads all guards in the NBA in rebounding, and is a high IQ player.

But if you can get Carmelo Anthony, you trade Landry Fields.

Felton (turns 27 this June)
Carmelo (turns 27 this May)
Chandler (turns 24 in May)
Amar'e (just turned 28 in Nov)

There's the heart and foundation of your team. D'antoni employs a TIGHT 7 or 8 man rotation. 8 or 9 tops.

Williams, Douglas, Walker and Turiaf, Mozgov round it out now.

Rautins and Jordan and this year's 1st rounder are future potential picks.

We could look to sign and trae Chandler for Marc Gasol.

Or look to add another BIG and a BACKUP PG.

But ROLE players can be had on the cheap and easily found. STARS. GAME-CHANGERS are rare. Decent/average players look very good when surrounded by talent.

Imagine how wide open Williams would be if Felton-Chandler-Melo-Stat are on the floor?

As for Gallo, his spot is upgraded with Melo.

So we basically replace Fields-Gallo with Williams-Carmelo.

How do you say NO to that?

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Landry Fields is 22 years old! I mean... he's averaging almost a double-double in his first career year. I'm not talking about physicall potential. He's not a prospect. He does it all well. With a little more experience and development (which we all agree he'll do because he's a hard worker) who knows what he'd become. And if he doesn't improve so much he is a very good player already.

Another factor is that while Chandler and Melo could bother each other, Fields and Melo is fully compatible.

Oh, and for those saying Fields has started to play not so well lately... Have you ever heard of the rookie wall?

la2ny

Starter
I love Laundry for what he is, a high IQ role player. Thats his max. Im not the type to hype a player for more than what he is and im a realist. Laundry to me is like Luke Walton was to the Lakers some years back before he started hurting his back. Played very smart, very unselfish, knew were rebounds were gonna be, and an excellent passer. Im not calling Laundry Luke, but it's an eerily similar situation as the Lakers team then was a low seed at best with one "superstar" and weren't expected to make noise in the playoffs.

iSaYughh

Starter
Chandler, Douglas, Walker, Moz, AR-1st, 2014 1st.

Basically the deal I proposed months back as happening. I'd still prefer just something like it, and see it happening.

Ultimately, DEN is going to make the decision. The final decision. But some are misguided in thinking this means they have the best decision, or one of superiority.

As Melo expertly allows these frenzied non-NY deals to shrivel up and die, the sense of urgency (on DEN) and the disillusionment of The Jersey Boys will approach a crescendo.

This is happening. And it will continue. Even if Melo was wishy washy on risking the CBA, he will wait to the last possible hour to simply gain as much information as possible.

Melo and DEN are the ones at risk. The only ones. In this game of poker/chicken/psychology, acting last is death, and the least advantageous position.

Melo can, and will, force DEN to choose between unequivocal suicide and self-destruction. Or trading him to NY. That DEN has ultimate say is not just meaningless for their benefit, it's downright bad.

Melo Days Before Deadline, Weeks Of Frenzied Deals Disintigrating, Cavs Becoming Laughing Stocks.

"ya, I'm still not copacetic with NJ. NYC extension or you find a team to rent me"

Jersey Boys -- "ya, well you are going to risk losing millions in CBA, who knows what will happen"

Melo -- "well mother****er, that may or may not be. unfortunate for you, you're options are as hard and immovable as stone, and the decision is yours and yours alone..."

"keep me and face a certain apocalypse of media and basketball fail; maybe I lose some millions I may or may not recoup anyways while I ball in NYC. Trade me to NY and save face and gain a valuable rebuild package. The choice IS yours"

DEN lost the game of hot potato from the start in this game. I hope Melo makes them suck their own dik. I still suspect, as I always have, that they will.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
If we could get a third team involved to take on Harrington's deal I'm in. Say Milwaukee perhaps. Something like them getting Al and Rautins. Sending Denver expiring deals (Delfino, Dooling) and give us Larry Sanders. We send Curry, Mason, Az to Denver for Melo. If anyone read Sheridan's report today and his idea's it might not be that far fetched.

Really don't wanna give up 2 of the 3 (Gallo/Fields/Chandler) plus whatever else. I think that's to much and Donnie knows it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Fields is a great player but let's be honest we're probably overrating him a bit because he was such a steal.

If he was a lottery pick who was playing like this we'd be calling him a bust. Hell, Gallo is in his second year, is the same age as Fields, and is a better player than him and this board trashes him all to hell. Fields is a solid roleplayer who is good to have on a championship team but he's not good enough to be the reason the Knicks lose Carmelo Anthony to somebody else.

Plus someone on this board had another good point - trading for Carmelo is probably the only way the Knicks can get Wilson Chandler back by retaining his Bird Rights. We don't have the cap to sign Carmelo as an FA AND use the cap hold to exercise Chandler's bird rights, we either refuse to offer Chandler the QO and let him walk and sign Melo OR we hold onto his bird rights by offering him the qualifying offer and then lose out on him because we don't have the cap space after signing Carmelo.

If we can trade Fields and Gallo in order to retain Chandler, would you do it? I'm not sure myself, that's a tough one because Chandler's been great for us but Gallo and Fields are younger, and it's really hard because, I'll be honest, regardless of how good they are, I like our players and I don't want to see them go anywhere.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
Fields is a great player but let's be honest we're probably overrating him a bit because he was such a steal.

If he was a lottery pick who was playing like this we'd be calling him a bust. Hell, Gallo is in his second year, is the same age as Fields, and is a better player than him and this board trashes him all to hell. Fields is a solid roleplayer who is good to have on a championship team but he's not good enough to be the reason the Knicks lose Carmelo Anthony to somebody else.

Plus someone on this board had another good point - trading for Carmelo is probably the only way the Knicks can get Wilson Chandler back by retaining his Bird Rights. We don't have the cap to sign Carmelo as an FA AND use the cap hold to exercise Chandler's bird rights, we either refuse to offer Chandler the QO and let him walk and sign Melo OR we hold onto his bird rights by offering him the qualifying offer and then lose out on him because we don't have the cap space after signing Carmelo.

If we can trade Fields and Gallo in order to retain Chandler, would you do it? I'm not sure myself, that's a tough one because Chandler's been great for us but Gallo and Fields are younger, and it's really hard because, I'll be honest, regardless of how good they are, I like our players and I don't want to see them go anywhere.

All good points but everyone knows the new CBA will restrict player contract most likely to some extent. Whose to say we can't extend QO to Wilson and get Melo to take a discounted contract like Bron/Bosh/Wade bullcrap down in "not a sports town" Miami.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Who really knows.

Although it seems that fag Chris Broussard is on our side. He just tweeted the following.

Sources: proposed NJ-Den-Det deal "not dead, but dormant." that means part 1 (reaching agreement). Part 2 (Melo signing) still a longshot

Blas

Benchwarmer
Chandler, Douglas, Walker, Moz, AR-1st, 2014 1st.

Basically the deal I proposed months back as happening. I'd still prefer just something like it, and see it happening.

This is a realistic offer.

We have to give up something to get Melo, which means CHANDLER.

To those who de-value Gallo yet think he can be thrown into the Melo trade and somehow we keep Chandler... REALLY? That is being hopeful NOT realistic.

Chandler is gone if we want Melo, period. He is the 3rd best player on our team right now and he is young. Denver will take him from us.

Also, the sad fact is we might have to take on Harrington's contract.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Denver tries to play hardball and take Gallo and Chandler from us.

mafra

Legend
This is a realistic offer.

We have to give up something to get Melo, which means CHANDLER.

To those who de-value Gallo yet think he can be thrown into the Melo trade and somehow we keep Chandler... REALLY? That is being hopeful NOT realistic.

Chandler is gone if we want Melo, period. He is the 3rd best player on our team right now and he is young. Denver will take him from us.

Also, the sad fact is we might have to take on Harrington's contract.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Denver tries to play hardball and take Gallo and Chandler from us.

You would think this is the case... But maybe DEN isn't high on him (for some reason), maybe the pot thing soured them, or maybe they like Gallo more. Who knows.

It's odd that DEN would value Batum so much but not want Chandler. People forget the dude is only 23 yrs-old.

Then again, he's a free agent... So he wont be cheap, and they might end up losing him and end up with nothing.

SO, in a way, Gallo might be more attractive to DEN for a few reasons. who knows.

p0nder

Starter
Honestly I'd jump on the deal of 2 of the 3 (doesn't matter) + Curry for Melo.

All three of those players can ball and they're young players that are getting better. I'd like to keep Chandler as he has the most impact on both ends of the floor and he is the most consistent. But it's likely that Denver will see that and demand it. Either way I would be fine with holding onto Gallo or Fields. Gallo would help spread the floor, give us the deep ball threat and help keep defenses off balance. Fields would help clean up boards, lock down defense on SG's, and hustle the floor for a few scores.

Either way you slice it, we will retain 1 good role player and add in a 2nd legit superstar. The only part of the deal I don't like is denver demanding that we take on a long term expensive contract like Harrington. The guy is a chucker and his contract limits our cap flexibility. He is a competitor tho, and he loved playing in NY, even in the darkest hour....

Denver is playing the bluffing game. They/we, or atleast some of us know they are in a bad spot and are pretending to have power over this Mello drama. They can ask for who ever they want but that doesn't mean they will get it. If Mello is true to wanting to come here...we can offer the Butt Nuggets franks and beans and they would have to take it. If they decline then Mello should wait to free agency and walk away from them bitch asses and leave them feeling like Cleveland (this is what Zeke is telling Dolan). No way in hell will I give in to Denver demands If Mello only wants to come to NY.