disgusting!

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
I just have to come on here and rant to some knicks fans

I was at the game last night, and it was DISGUSTING the amount of people cheering for the Lakers there. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Go to LA to do that, theres a nice place called the staples center. I almost punched this girl infront of me in the face because she was screaming like a cat everytime kobe went to the line (she was pretty hot, but still)

half the crowd last night were Lakers fans, what kinda new yorkers are you people!? Do you have any pride?

And the funny thing is as soon as kobe sucks in 3 years we will find no laker fans anywhere (unless another pau gasol-like giveaway happens, which seems to always happen to that team.)

Someone say something to make me feel better please

ANU

Starter
the lakers are like the yankees.they have fans everywhere.you can't really expect the garden to not have plenty of laker fans at the garden.

metrocard

Legend
This is why I don't respect downtown Manhattan...not true New Yorkers...just people going for a site visit, MSG is full of celebrities and softcore New Yorkers.

iono, American sports tends to rub me off negatively.

Knick's fanbase has gotten soft.
Yankee's organization tend to appeal those outside of NY than Bronxnites.

Sadly, I'm stuck with these teams. Yankees win a lot, I know, I just wish they were a Bronx team. They play in the Bronx, but everything about them is so not Bronx.

KBlack25

Starter
This is why I don't respect downtown Manhattan...not true New Yorkers...just people going for a site visit, MSG is full of celebrities and softcore New Yorkers.

iono, American sports tends to rub me off negatively.

Knick's fanbase has gotten soft.
Yankee's organization tend to appeal those outside of NY than Bronxnites.

Sadly, I'm stuck with these teams. Yankees win a lot, I know, I just wish they were a Bronx team. They play in the Bronx, but everything about them is so not Bronx.

You think it's bad now? Just think about how this board will be flooded with "Long-Time Knicks Fans" (or so they claim) if/when this team becomes relevant again...How many people will be wearing their Knicks jerseys that didn't watch a game in the last decade?

It's shitty, but it happens...NY has some of the most fair weather fans around. It was crazy to see, after the Yankees won the World Series for the first time in 9 years, how many "Yankee fans" came out of the woodwork to say they "Always supported the team".

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I think u guys also forget how many ppl travel back and forth from LA and NY or moved here from there... Most of these ppl who u see cheering for LA aren't Knick fans at all (it's prob the first game they've been to in MSG this year since it's the first time we played LA in NY). My popz has had season tickets as long as I've been alive and I've seen this SOO much... Whenever we play in LA there are a lot of NY fans there as well... but the balance is worse here because we suck as a team and the Die hard fans don't really come out anymore cause it's a waist of $$$.

johnstarky

Rotation player
That is so true about the Yankees.Before 1996 I remember being the only Yankee fan in my school and the only person who knew what was going on with them.Nobody really cared about baseball or the Yankees during those days.But then as the Yankees begin to go on this great championship run everybody in my school becomes newly converted Yankee fans.Yankeemania begins to spread around like a deadly epidemic.Even people who had previously mocked me for liking such a boring sport as baseball were all of a sudden hardcore Yankee fans.

The same thing use to happen when Michael Jordan was playing.If you grew up in the 90's you would most likely have gone to a school in which mostly every student was a Chicago Bulls fan.Being a Knick fan was like rooting for the enemy since every kid would want Michael Jordan to win.I remember how my fellow classmates use to celebrate everytime the Knicks would get eliminated from a playoff series.The Knick hatred was at it's peak throughout this time period.But as soon as Jordan retired for the second time in 1999 everybody I knew jumped off the Chicago Bulls bandwagon.People all of a sudden didn't even want to talk about their favorite team anymore.The Bulls scored 49 points in a game but I couldn't rub it in anyone's face because nobody was a Bulls fan anymore.The Bulls were so irrelevant in the year 1999 that many of these people started rooting for the Knicks after hating them the year prior to that one.

That's just how frontrunners are and I've always laughed at them for having to constantly run around and find a new bandwagon to jump on.I don't believe that they root for a team with the same kind of passion that a die hard fan would root for his team.These people just like whoever is on the front pages of newspapers and on the front covers of sports magazines.They only watch a NY team whenever they're playing in the playoffs.Just like how some people only attend church on holidays such as Easter and Christmas.What ever is socially suitable and acceptable for them to do they just go ahead and follow it.If there is one thing that most NewYorkers and Americans fail at it has to be being a true fan of a team.

Last edited:

johnstarky

Rotation player
When it comes to sports there are three different categories of people

1.People who don't like sports at all:A large number of people fall into this category but they don't make up the majority.

These people could care less about rooting for or following a sports team.Knowing about a team is basically a waste of time for them.They find no significance or social benefit in liking a particular team.Even if that team is the best team,plays in their home city and makes the playoffs every year they'll never pay attention to them.Their priorities seem to occupy most of their time and day for them to attend a game or watch a sporting event on television.Sports is something that is completely oblivious to these type of people.

2.The casual fan:Most people fall into this category and sadly but true, they make up the majority of a team's fan base.

Bandwagoners, frontrunners, fairweathers and people who are easily persuaded by glamor and success fall into this very category.But they're not the only ones that fall into this list.Some people actually do like a team but their 24 hour schedule doesn't permit them to dedicate as much time as they'd like to their team.You can include a lot of celebrities in this list and people who root for a particular individual of a team rather than the team that they play for.

Most people in this category won't watch 95% of any sports season but will tune in to a game if their home team happens to be competing in the playoffs and are the center of everyone's attention.They don't show up at sporting events out of a wholehearted desire to watch their home team win but show up at these events because someone from their job or very close to them, gave them a free ticket to do so.And once they're at these events they either don't pay attention to the games or leave the sporting venues before the games end.These are the kind of people who aren't very passionate about a team but will celebrate amongst the passionate fans if that team happens to win it all.Sure they'll be exuberant and excited for a few days after watching a championship run but they'll totally forget about the team until that team makes another championship run.They could go more than 15 years ignoring a team if that team happens to be irrelevant for that long.

Example:Many people who've rooted for the New York Knicks in the 90's and the NY Mets in the late 80's have been reported missing for more than a decade.The Knicks in early 2010 are to New York what the Yankees were to NY during the first half of the 1990's.

Only winning and triumph can resuscitate the part of the brain in these people which allows them to pay attention to and like a sports team.But if that team happens to fall from grace they'll turn their backs on them once again.Some of these people even have the nerve to claim that they've been a fan of that team for most of their lives.

I forgot to mention that these are the people who attend championship parades and have limited knowledge about sports teams.They could probably tell you the jersey colors of a team but could only identify the 2 or 3 superstars on that team.This is why I consider them casual fans because of their erratic knowledge and attitude towards teams.

3.The True fan or die-hard fan:They make up the minority and are very rare to find in a large city with a big market.

These are the people like us who follow their teams religiously.They'll buy the newspaper everyday just to read the latest news about their teams.They'll show up at games even if the stadium or arena is 3 quarters empty.They'll go ahead and watch the same Sports Center highlights over and over again and never get tired of it.They'll root for their teams wholeheartedly even when nobody else wants to root for them.These people can tell you the history of their teams like the back of their hands.They do not root for a team because they're popular, successful or well liked by the masses.The'll get frustrated or even depressed after their team loses a game and will watch every single game of the season even if it's an exhibition game.Whenever they hear someone criticize their team they'll defend their team as though it was their birth right.And would never turn their back on their teams to root for other teams.

These are the best fans in the world and this is why I decided to leave them for last.

Last edited:

TheDA

Rookie
JohnStarky - very well written and precise. Nail on the head analogy. Totally describes me.

Born in Harlem. Always a diehard Knick fan - even while living in Miami, Atlanta, Vegas & now Scottsdale AZ.

Hey, I even have the summer league games wsite bookmarked!

True Fan
The DA

johnstarky

Rotation player
JohnStarky - very well written and precise. Nail on the head analogy. Totally describes me.

Born in Harlem. Always a diehard Knick fan - even while living in Miami, Atlanta, Vegas & now Scottsdale AZ.

Hey, I even have the summer league games wsite bookmarked!

True Fan
The DA

Thanks, I always appreciate it, The DA.

It's good to know that New York isn't the only city that has Knick fans.Hopefully I can socialize with fans like you if if I ever decide to move to another state.With the lack of support that the Knicks have been receiving from many New Yorkers I sometimes feel like the only Knick fan on this planet.Let's just hope that the Knicks start playing winning basketball again and put the Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas memories far behind them.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
I hate fair-weather fans.
I'm a Yankees, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers fan.
I grew up during the Yankee dynasty so that is all I know, but I'm not going to jump ship if they start losing.

As a Jet fan I hate seeing all these phony fans jump out of the woodwork. I mean seriously I grew up on Doug Brien missing field goals, Brett Favre collapsing, and Chad Pennington getting hurt every other year. Where where then then?

With the Knicks and Rangers it was more complicated. As a kid my two favorite basketball players were Patrick Ewing and Michael Jordan. Every time we played the Bulls I wanted MJ to drop 100, but the Knicks to beat the Bulls by 1. Then I started to follow the Knicks in 03-04. I was pumped when they made the playoffs, but I really started to follow them after they got D-Lee. D-Lee's game winning tip-in and Steve Francis game winning shot against the Wizards cemented my status as a diehard Knicks fan.

I follow the Rangers casually, because I need to live a some what productive life lol.

Kiyaman

Legend
I just have to come on here and rant to some knicks fans

I was at the game last night, and it was DISGUSTING the amount of people cheering for the Lakers there. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Go to LA to do that, theres a nice place called the staples center. I almost punched this girl infront of me in the face because she was screaming like a cat everytime kobe went to the line (she was pretty hot, but still)

half the crowd last night were Lakers fans, what kinda new yorkers are you people!? Do you have any pride?

And the funny thing is as soon as kobe sucks in 3 years we will find no laker fans anywhere (unless another pau gasol-like giveaway happens, which seems to always happen to that team.)

Someone say something to make me feel better please

New York is not only the "melting-pot" of the Human-Races, but the resting-pot of all the States.
Everybody want to be able to say they live in New York.
MSG is LUVIN it....makin that money from the million of die-hard fans, the famous entertainer, and all the visitors making MSG a New York land mark.
Invest in MSG stock u win even when the team lose....by 50 points

p0nder

Starter
Been a Knick fan as long as I've been watching and playing basketball. Ewing remains my favorite player of all time. I am still not sure what cemented my Knick fandom, but I think it had to do with hating on the boston celtics...

Anyways, there's all KINDS of fair-weather fans, they don't just exist in NY. Think about how many fan's the Cav's have now... Think about how many they had before LeBron... Success breeds fandom, gets jersey sales, sells tickets, creates pride, etc.

Fans like us are few and far between my friends. People that will stick with a team even when they are the laughing stock of the league are so very rare. I have people who fall into starky's category 2 continually laughing at me as the Raptors beat the lakers, destroy the knicks and we get blown out by the injured Mav's AT HOME.

Who's going to stick around to be ridiculed like that? I don't know if that makes me some kind of masochist or what but I know it ain't easy. I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving this team behind in the last 10 years and never looking back.

But I'm Knicks fan 4 life! I was a fan during Van gundy, I was a fan during Isiah, I'm a fan now and I always will be. I couldn't not be a fan of this team if I tried. Basketball is ingrained in my soul and as tightly as I attach myself to the game I attach myself to this team. I breathe Knicks and I bleed Blue and Orange.