Dahntay Jones.. why?

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
He's a lockdown defender that knows his role, plus I believe he was teammates with Melo when he and Chauncey went to the WCF in 2009.

However what you say does make sense. We've gone after plenty of defense this offseason and it would be nice to pick up some more offense from outside; it would greatly benefit our offense as a whole and when a 2nd shooter is on the floor with Novak, watch out.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Not my favorite, but can't argue with Jones heart, that dude hustles and play D. If you play good D, you are welcomed on board if you ask me...

Ohh...and I do not think offensive power is an issue with us, all we needed is someone to run the team the right away to get people shots, instead of everyone creating for themselves. With Lin, Kidd and that new euro PG coming in, i do not think that will be a problem again.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Great fit for this roster definitely. Grunwald wouldn't go wrong in signing him or Foye.

Grunwald I have faith in you. Let's get it! the final piece!

portega1968

El Cacique
I'm not sure if you're kidding or not but...

Jones shot 43% from 3pt last season.

Not sure YOU are kidding, but do you really consider him a 3pt threat from that statistic?

He's a career 35.5% from beyond the arc, which is not terrible, but within the following context tells the true story: 9 years in the league (8,600 minutes in 511 games) show a total of 268 ATTEMPTS for a TOTAL of 95 makes. That's not even 10% of his FGs made.

Nonetheless, I appreciate having his defense on board and his hustle... but we need a 3pt threat to backup JR at the SG spot, and please don't anyone tell me that will be Jason Kidd.

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/07/11/the-knicks-can-add-dahntay-jones-this-way/

Tommy Dee: If the #knicks land dahtay jones hard to argue with the off season grunwald has had. Camby jones smith all melo surrounding pieces

Why aren't we going after a SG that is reliable from the 3shot? The 2spot will be the big hole this coming season

He hit 33 of 77 in a 66 game season last year, better that what my man Shump shot

If he is a decent defender (say about as good a Fields on D) this is a perfect type to hold it down til Shump comes back

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Jones would be perfect back-up to JR Smith...

Shumpert comes back ~ works his way back into starting rotation...

JR step back into his 6th Man while Jones moves from SG at SF behind Melo...

Building around the scorers is what Knick's Brass have been doing this off-season... Building up the Defense...

Oh wait isn't that Mike Woodson's forte'!

portega1968

El Cacique
Dahntay Jones versus other SG free agents that may be available for the vet minimum?

Shannon Brown
Leandro Barbosa
Sonny Weems
Marquis Daniels
Jodie Meeks
Michael Redd
DeShawn Stevenson
Chris Douglas Roberts
Lester Hudson
Sasha Vujacic

elcol

Rotation player
Not sure YOU are kidding, but do you really consider him a 3pt threat from that statistic?

He's a career 35.5% from beyond the arc, which is not terrible, but within the following context tells the true story: 9 years in the league (8,600 minutes in 511 games) show a total of 268 ATTEMPTS for a TOTAL of 95 makes. That's not even 10% of his FGs made.

Nonetheless, I appreciate having his defense on board and his hustle... but we need a 3pt threat to backup JR at the SG spot, and please don't anyone tell me that will be Jason Kidd.

Assuming Jones will play with the second string that means we have kidd and Novak able to stretch the floor, wouldn't it be a good thing to have someone who attacks the basket and as you said goes for allot of twos so he can get kidd and preferably Novak open?

portega1968

El Cacique
Assuming Jones will play with the second string that means we have kidd and Novak able to stretch the floor, wouldn't it be a good thing to have someone who attacks the basket and as you said goes for allot of twos so he can get kidd and preferably Novak open?

Ok, the situation you mention will happen sometimes in the game and the answer would be yes.

The problem is the starting SG. When you have Melo with the ball in his favorite high elbow spot, and no catch-and-shoot player in the lineup, then defenses just collapse on him when he makes a move. That is the main play to start games and the second half. Tyson, Amare, Lin and Smith are currently the starters around Melo. None of them are catch and shoot players. They all need to make a move with the ball to get a shot. Once Novak or Kidd come in, then the dynamic changes, but a catch and shoot player at the two helps Melo to start games on a strong note. That is what this argument is about.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
wouldnt be a bad option to get Jones. hes a tough player who doesnt get rattled no matter who he's up against. not bad role guy to have coming off the bench.

Jones, Shannon Brown, Foye or Mayo and im ready for battle. we can compete with anyone imo

elcol

Rotation player
Ok, the situation you mention will happen sometimes in the game and the answer would be yes.

The problem is the starting SG. When you have Melo with the ball in his favorite high elbow spot, and no catch-and-shoot player in the lineup, then defenses just collapse on him when he makes a move. That is the main play to start games and the second half. Tyson, Amare, Lin and Smith are currently the starters around Melo. None of them are catch and shoot players. They all need to make a move with the ball to get a shot. Once Novak or Kidd come in, then the dynamic changes, but a catch and shoot player at the two helps Melo to start games on a strong note. That is what this argument is about.
I don't know. I think we under rate Smith as a catch and shoot shooter. Besides, Jones its a bench player I think it would be better to evaluate his usefulness with the bench, which definitely doesn't need another 3 ball guy. But seriously pretty much both of them are big upgrades from fields from behind the arc who may just come back anyway

portega1968

El Cacique
I don't know. I think we under rate Smith as a catch and shoot shooter. Besides, Jones its a bench player I think it would be better to evaluate his usefulness with the bench, which definitely doesn't need another 3 ball guy. But seriously pretty much both of them are big upgrades from fields from behind the arc who may just come back anyway

Agree... but going into free agency my biggest hope was to get a strong starting 2guard that can catch and shoot the 3 consistently... that to me would've been the huge improvement this teams needs to make the most of the Melo/Tyson/Stat trio

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/07/11/the-knicks-can-add-dahntay-jones-this-way/

Tommy Dee: If the #knicks land dahtay jones hard to argue with the off season grunwald has had. Camby jones smith all melo surrounding pieces

Why aren't we going after a SG that is reliable from the 3shot? The 2spot will be the big hole this coming season

Jones is very good and his outside shot is ok but we can just get a guy for the vet minimum or a d leaguer that is just a knock down shooter from the 2....get a cheap option that can hit the open 3 and play decent defense so that when shump comes back the cheap 2 guard doesnt get mad about losing minutes

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
unless im missing something, Big apple you said we got him? is it official he's been signed? cause i would love the addition.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Danthay Jones is heading to Dallas along with Collison for Ian Mahinmi in a sign and trade.

What an absurd move ??