"Hill has a long ways to go"

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Can someone explain to me why this guy was drafted in the lottery? Typically borderline D-League players are not selected in the lottery. If Gallo hadn't injured his back he would have contributed right away which is what you should expect from a lottery pick. It sounds like he has such a long way to go, that maybe he should be sent to the D-League to get some playing time.

What also bothers me is D'Antoni saying he has a long ways to go. It makes me think they really didn't do their homework on this kid and were just expecting to draft Curry.

Knicks' rookie Jordan Hill has a long ways to go before hitting court

BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Friday, October 23rd 2009, 4:00 AM

To find the last Knicks rookie to make a significant impact, you'd have to go all the way back to 1987, when Mark Jackson instantly became one of Patrick Ewing's all-time favorite teammates. One month after Jackson was drafted at No.18, the Knicks' most recent first-round pick, Jordan Hill, was born.

So in the span of 22 years, the Knicks don't have much to show in terms of first-round picks. Rod Strickland was a solid player and Charlie Ward was the starting point guard for the Knicks when they reached the NBA Finals in 1999. And David Lee did lead the league in double-doubles last season.

But for every Strickland, Ward, and Lee there is a Jerrod Mustaf, a Michael Sweetney and - pardon our French - a Frederic Weis. Where Hill falls on that list remains to be seen, but it doesn't appear as if we'll be seeing much of June's No. 8 pick.

"He has a ways to go," Mike D'Antoni said following the Knicks' preseason finale on Wednesday. "He looks like a deer in the headlights."

Hill, a 6-10, 235-pound forward, figures to spend most of the season on the bench waiting for a chance. With Lee, Al Harrington, Jared Jeffries, Darko Milicic and, perhaps one day, Eddy Curry on the team, there simply aren't enough minutes for an unproven big man who still needs to improve his offensive game and increase his strength.

"It's like my freshman year at Arizona, I'm here to learn and get better," Hill said. "I'm not worried about it."

Hill entered the draft following a strong junior season for the Wildcats, when he averaged 18.3 points and 11 rebounds. Knicks president Donnie Walsh maintains that the club had Hill rated as the fifth-best player in the 2009 draft, although it is no secret that the Knicks had their hearts set on Davidson guard Stephen Curry, whom Golden State took at No. 7.

The Knicks had the option of selecting a player at a position of need - point guard - but Walsh decided to pass over Brandon Jennings, who was picked 10th by Milwaukee and has been impressive thus far. Walsh says he has no regrets about not taking Jennings and believes that Hill eventually will be a contributing player.

"He's a terrific athlete but he's got to get stronger," Walsh said. "But I'll tell you this: he shoots the ball a lot better than I thought he could."

ON THE MARC: Undrafted rookie F Marcus Landry, out of Wisconsin, will make the final roster, barring last-minute trades or signings. The Knicks released Joe Crawford and Chris Hunter to get down to 14 players, one below the maximum.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...icks_rookie_jordan_hill_in_uphill_battle.html

Trin_Starr

Starter
I believe they saw potential over skills and that's why they drafted him.

It does suck seeing him play because we're expecting a much better product at the 8th pick, but there's 2 things to consider....

The knicks are loaded in front court so right now he doesn't need to produce and that's one of the reasons why the knicks probably took him. They knew he was going to be a project and could mould him into the player they want.

Secondly - he is still relatively new to playing organized basketball but the thing he has shown is that he is capable of picking it up quickly.

I think the knicks however the knicks need to bring in a better bigman coach to work with him rather than Herb. Right now Hill is a sponge and he should be learning from the best.

So by training camp next year is the best time to give him as label as a bust or bust out player

nyk_nyk

All Star
It's usually much harder for a big man to get use to the speed and strength of opposing bigs in the NBA. I watched Hill play in college and knew he wasn't going to be able to contribute right away. It's not that I didn't think he was good but the things he was doing in college weren't dominating or next level type play. For example, you could tell by watching Blake Griffin that he was way too talented for college ball.

Some of the video clips of Hill that people posted during the draft were misleading. They showed him doing things that a 6-10 college center should be doing. It was nothing extra special or something you get selected 8th for. Bottom line is that things were uncertain with Lee and Donnie needed to protect himself by drafting a replacement just in case.

Personally, I'm not a fan of unskilled big men who don't play with ferocity. I feel that if you don't have a consistent jumper or a couple of nice post moves to showcase then you should be a beast and just use your height and size to intimidate. KG is one of my favorite players because of that. When he first came into the league, he wasn't as polished as he is now but he played big and when given the opportunity attacked the basket with force.

I said in a previous thread that Hill would not see much playing time this season. It sucks that someone we selected so early in the draft really appears to be a late first or mid second round type player. We don't even own next years pick so this was a chance to get a good 1st round pick while we had the chance to. I fully expect to see Hill included in a trade package since we now know Lee isn't going anywhere.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I can take missed shots and even him getting pushed around on the defensive end, but his low Basketball IQ

With that said.....Lamarcus Aldridge,Andrew Bynum and Rasheed Wallace all struggled as rookies.

I think he needs to be sent to The D-Leauge, him sitting on the bench all season will not do him any good.

Kiyaman

Legend
When I read that "BULLSHUUUUT" in the Daily News this morning the first thing came to mind was this Jordan Hill comment is another one of Dantoni's, "he is the best shooter I ever seen"......bullshuuut lines to the press

Jordan Hill did well being the only "bigman" on our summer league team.
Jordan Hill also looked 10 times better than Darko did in the preseason games.
I wanted SG Terrence Williams in the draft but was happy with Jordan Hill.
I really wish we had coach Mark Aquire on our staff rather than all those expensive nobody coaches that want the entire roster to just shoot 3's

SilentJay

Rookie
I can take about a season before I make any serious deliberations. Do I see potential bust waiving at me? Hell yes. But I see a bunch of other things hinting that he could turn into a very solid big man. His stats in college have had exponential growth from season to season, so I can understand him being young to the game. A crash course in NBA pace and intesive training, plus a bunch of garbage minutes adding up could help him a bunch. If his development in college translates, even by an 1/8th to the NBA, this guy could become very productive.
This obviously becomes a discussion of: are we patieint enough to wait him out?
I do understand that this season is povital in any plans tha DW has on getting LBJ, results wise, so I really don't see Hill getting so many minutes. But if things take a wrong turn somewhere and we find ourselves a long way from the playoffs I say let kid have a go and sweat his NBA pants for the firs time.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I can take about a season before I make any serious deliberations. Do I see potential bust waiving at me? Hell yes. But I see a bunch of other things hinting that he could turn into a very solid big man. His stats in college have had exponential growth from season to season, so I can understand him being young to the game. A crash course in NBA pace and intesive training, plus a bunch of garbage minutes adding up could help him a bunch. If his development in college translates, even by an 1/8th to the NBA, this guy could become very productive.
This obviously becomes a discussion of: are we patieint enough to wait him out?
I do understand that this season is povital in any plans tha DW has on getting LBJ, results wise, so I really don't see Hill getting so many minutes. But if things take a wrong turn somewhere and we find ourselves a long way from the playoffs I say let kid have a go and sweat his NBA pants for the firs time.

This is some good thinking. :agreed:

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Think he was kidding asking about Farmar, maybe I'm wrong though. I don't regret Hill, right now would like Brandon Jennings but from all I had read at draft time I didn't want us to take him. Still would have liked T Williams or maybe even Lawson or Blair, but I still think Hill has good upside, it was a pick we knew wouldn't have a big impact first year but if his work ethic continues as reported and he is taught well, I think he could be a useful player for the future, at least top 7 in a rotation. And yes, as I type I see that Danutz updated that he was kidding about Farmar, well played my friend! I'll only start to feel bad if Lawson starts to cross over elite pgs like Duhon:oops:

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Still think we should have drafted Ty Lawson. He's raping Jordan Farmar right now.

Think he was kidding asking about Farmar, maybe I'm wrong though. I don't regret Hill, right now would like Brandon Jennings but from all I had read at draft time I didn't want us to take him. Still would have liked T Williams or maybe even Lawson or Blair, but I still think Hill has good upside, it was a pick we knew wouldn't have a big impact first year but if his work ethic continues as reported and he is taught well, I think he could be a useful player for the future, at least top 7 in a rotation. And yes, as I type I see that Danutz updated that he was kidding about Farmar, well played my friend! I'll only start to feel bad if Lawson starts to cross over elite pgs like Duhon:oops:

Now for real..... Lawson will be a solid player in the NBA but at # 8 (with his injury history and lack of height) he was a bit of a reach. This is not a knack on Lawson or on yours guys oppinion. Just me and he might well end up being a missed shot for us.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks coaching staff need to be cut

If we did'nt have Duhon & Nate at the PG position whom actually blew-up alot of the Elite PG last season, I would've been crying for Jennings or Lawson in the draft.

If the Spurs would've picked Jordan Hill, he too would've been explosive as Blair is right now. Headcoach Pop's coaching-staff favors on teaching the Bigmen, whether young or veteran.

The Knicks last two summer league teams showed very poor Knick scouting to fill out each position. None of the invited players showed qualification to perform in the NBA.
There is not one of headcoach Dantoni's expensive coaching-staff that qualify as a teacher for young drafted players big or small.
Both Jordan Hill and Toney Douglas performance has been from what their college coaches taught them.

Can someone name me the Knick coach that worked out last season with David Lee to average double-double all season?
Did u see any of the Knicks bigmen (Darko, Lee, Jefferies, Hunter, or Hill) take a seat next to assistant coach Herb Williams one time during the preseason game?
No and none to both questions (a double negative for the Knicks coaching-staff.).
Did'nt it look funny how all the bigmen centers the Knicks picked up late last season was clueless on a set position downlow on offense/defense and took to shooting jumpers from outside. Center Hunter last 6 shots in the Preseason was all close to the 3 point line. LOL

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Yeah, I agree, Herb has got to go... He's been here long enough, and all we've done is lose since he's been here.

SilentJay

Rookie
Actually, Hill was working with Williams, but Herb isn't the guy to teach him what he needs. A couple of weeks ago Kareem had problems in his work with Bynum (actually Bynum did), it would be really productive for the organization to bring in someone with experience (Oakley expressed his interested in the offseason, or Kareem himself) to not only instill the big men hustle, but that grittyness that's lacking on both sides of the court under the post. With that as well, we need guys with a winning experience under their belt to transmit to these young guys used to pretty losing records.