home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksBrooklyn Nets
Reggie Bullock - Cervical disc herniation (OUT)Kevin Durant - Torn right achilles (OUT)
Mitchell Robinson - Sprained right ankle (OUT)Wilson Chandler - NBA Suspension (OUT)
--

Game Preview

Kyrie Irving and rookie RJ Barrett were the talk of the town following their tantalizing debuts with their respective new teams.

The two will take center stage at Barclays Center on Friday as Irving and the Brooklyn Nets host Barrett's New York Knicks in the first installment of the Battle of the Boroughs.

Let's start with Irving, who became the seventh player in Nets' franchise history to score 50 points in Wednesday's season-opening 127-126 overtime loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Irving had the ball in his hands on the final possession, but the six-time All-Star lost his footing off the dribble and forced a shot that caromed off the rim as time expired.

"The job wasn't done. So that 50 just goes into just another few numbers that -- it holds value, but really ... when you don't get a win," Irving said after he sank seven 3-pointers and shot 17 of 33 from the field.

Irving's point total was the most by a Nets player making his debut, eclipsing the 30 posted by Hall of Famer Nate "Tiny" Archibald with then-New Jersey in 1976 as well as D'Angelo Russell in 2017.

Irving will face New York for the first time since spurning the club in the offseason. In addition, the New Jersey native brought the injured Kevin Durant and former Knick DeAndre Jordan with him to Brooklyn.

"I told (Irving) from Day One the pressure isn't on you. I need to perform well, our younger guys need to get better. ... Our job here is to give him support," Nets coach Kenny Atkinson said.

Like Irving, Barrett also saw a strong performance in his debut go by the boards on Wednesday as the Knicks dropped a 120-111 decision to the San Antonio Spurs.

Barrett showed flashes of star power en route to scoring 21 points on 9-of-13 shooting in his first game since being selected by New York with the third overall pick of the 2019 NBA Draft out of Duke.

"I told you. When the popcorn's popping, that kid is ready," New York coach David Fizdale said of Barrett, who helped the club rally from a 16-point deficit in the first half and sank a jumper at the buzzer to give his team an 84-83 advantage heading to the fourth quarter.

Marcus Morris pumped in a team-leading 26 points -- including 17 in the first half on 6-for-8 shooting -- and Julius Randle added 25 and 11 rebounds.

Promising numbers to be certain for a Knicks club that posted a league-worst 17-65 mark in 2018-19, tied for the franchise's worst season.

Brooklyn won three of the four meetings between the Atlantic Division rivals in 2018-19, including both contests at the Barclays Center.

"I don't know what it is in other cities but expectations come with it when you're playing in New York. There's more of a spotlight on us, but it's exciting; what a great challenge we've got in front of us," Atkinson said.

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

1st chance of the season to get super trolled by Brooklyn. I hope Dolan is watching. We own New York in fan support of team only.

mafra

Legend
"So for real, that's my best friend and I want to send good health to him," Irving said. "But for the time being, we're going to take over the whole entire city. It's about us."

On Tuesday, Irving started the takeover discussion by saying that the team has converted New Yorkers from Knicks fans to Nets fans.

"Brooklyn's a place where they've built up everything around here, different residents are in here now. It's just a different culture," Irving said. "But the same people that have supported New York basketball are still here and they support the Brooklyn Nets now. It's just a respect thing. If you can play, they'll respect you."

??-

Lol! Kyrie, KNicks are highest valued team in NBA. On opening night, Nets had an .8 rating compared to 1.6 share for NYK.

Irving?s flat earth theory more likely to be true than NY would become a Nets town.... even if Nets win back to back titles.

Gonna be fun watching NY media break Irving and KD. I look forward to the inevitable calamity.

Ah, we should just lay low. Brooklyn has 3 years to win a championship before we can start thinking they messed up.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks Rady .... The "Probable starters" for a career losing coach are reminding me of our past season.
We playing in Kings County tonight .. watch out! the Knick players could probably pull it off .. I'm not worried bout the Nets performance, it look like they are depending to much on a ball-hoggin Kyrie (Starbury) Iso-system scoring. If the Knicks had a coach like the Spurs Pop, he would assign Payton & Frank depth on Kyrie throughout the game.
The Nets Big-man rotation will be scary in this game tonight on the offensive boards giving the Nets a lot of 2nd chance shots .. especially if Portis, Randle, Gibson, and Knox get lazy grabbing every defensive rebound throughout the game.

Please Fizdale .. No more embarrassing Knick players in a game. Plus no more putting the 6.7 rookie RJ at the PG position .. even the famous 6.6 HOF (MJ) Jordan waited till his 4th season in the NBA to play a season at the PG spot.
Let the Knicks rookie learn the INS and OUTS of the NBA at one position throughout the season.
I still say our rookie RJ Barrett's type of performance would be best as the Knicks 6th Man !!!

What fans own New York?

Kyrie Irving getting louder boos than cheers at the FT line in his home arena. You tell me?

I like DeAndre Jordan, but 4 years for 40 million dollars is a lot of cap space to use on your backup center.

DSJ just missed a jumper badly off the back of the rim where the Nets just gave him 5 feet of space to take the shot.

Nets have 9 points from the line in the opening 10 minutes.

Knox hits two quick 3s, cuts lead to 1.

Nets come right back down and get right back to the line. Can?t win like this.