Zach for Jermaine O'Neal?

knicklover

Benchwarmer
What do people think of this rumor?

I don't know the details of O'Neal's contract. If it's a lot shorter, it might make some sense because we could dump him sooner and free up contract space to get some younger guys and prospects. But if it's a similar contract, I see no reason to get older and bring in a guy that's constantly injured.

Kiyaman

Legend
What do people think of this rumor?

I don't know the details of O'Neal's contract. If it's a lot shorter, it might make some sense because we could dump him sooner and free up contract space to get some younger guys and prospects. But if it's a similar contract, I see no reason to get older and bring in a guy that's constantly injured.

This is not any rumor other than from your mind.
Larry Bird & Isiah Thomas make a deal?
Only in the next life time.

knicklover

Benchwarmer

There are several articles confirming that the Pacers are in talks with several teams about O'Neal, Isiah is said to love O'Neal, O'Neal is said to be willing to come to NY, and at least one NY player said that he thought O'Neal would be a good fit. So it's not just in my mind.

GetRealistic

Starter
I'm sick of all the Bird don't like Isiah so he won't make a trade nonsense. If Bird saw a trade that would benefit his team he'd make it. Not sure if this would help the Pacers out, but it'd deffinately help us out.

O'neil is a better defender and his contract expires in 2 years (same year as Marbury, James, and Malik)

stevie

Benchwarmer
I Love It. Oneal Has A Year Left On His Contract And Zach Has 3. Oneal Also Get 6 Million More A Year Than Zach. If They Are Willing To Take Jefferies Off Our Hands Also. I Would Condsider Giving Them David Lee To Make This Deal Work.

After Next Season We Would Lose Another 20 Million In Salary..

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

It is a fact that the Knicks and Indiana have communicated on O'Neil. I think Indiana is in a pinch because O'Neil is one of the top paid players in the game! Bird has tried to work out deals with other teams like NJ, Miami etc... They fell through because these teams have good GM's that won't over pay for a player like a certain GM we all know and love! So to say that this is only in someone's mind is ridiculous. Think about it, why wouldn't he want to engage the Knicks? NY is desperate, Isiah is very desperate so Bird probably knows that if any team will give up way too much for O'Neil it would be the Knicks. Since O'Neil makes the kind of money he does, Indiana knows that they will have to take back a large contract just to meet the requirement. So Randolph could be that player and it wouldn't surprise me if you saw Isiah Part with Randolph, Balkman, Chandler and why not throw in a couple of unprotected #1 dratf picks over the next few years as well. Now that is an Isiah trade and Indiana would jump all over it if offered!!! Then all of us here at Knicksonline can start posting in the Jermain O'Neil sucks thread that would eventually pop up on this site when the Knicks record doesn't improve.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well JO has one less year on his contract than Zach. So that is a plus. He can defend, another plus. But Indy would probably want Lee, Balk, or Nate, that would be the deal breaker to me. But Jermaine Oneal has been on winning teams. Jermaine is more of an team player than Zach. And Jermaine is a leader. With all that said, this is probably why Bird will want some picks or an actual good player. This is probably just a rumor anyways

New New York

Quiet Storm
Maybe Isiah can give them Malik for Tinsley in the deal as well? But then we would have Isiah team that made the playoffs, and that would be reason enough for Dolan to not fire Isiah this summer! Like I said before, we are in a Lose, Lose situation this year however you look at it

metrocard

Legend
Well JO has one less year on his contract than Zach. So that is a plus. He can defend, another plus. But Indy would probably want Lee, Balk, or Nate, that would be the deal breaker to me. But Jermaine Oneal has been on winning teams. Jermaine is more of an team player than Zach. And Jermaine is a leader. With all that said, this is probably why Bird will want some picks or an actual good player. This is probably just a rumor anyways

JO has one less year than Zach? Damn, I never knew that. Good post. I guess I'm kinda in favor of this deal, as long as we trade Crawford and Curry after.

NYKnicks15

Starter
this is FAR from just a rumor. in fact look for something significant to come out within the next week. not saying the trade WILL infact go down within the week but it is a great possibility. there a few trades that seem to be lingering around the knicks (artest, oneal and wallace) and to be completely 100 percent honest with you all three seem very possible to happen before deadline.

i am in favor of this trade though. and big ups to getrealistic to pointing out one of my HUGE pet peeves. these are businessmen and Larry Bird and Isiah will get this trade done if they both know they will benefit. The trade will probably involve Zach Randolph and Malik Rose along with Renaldo Balkman going to Indy for Jermaine and maybe a less player think Rush or one of their SG.

this would cross out the deal for Walalce that would have malik q an jones going to Chi. unless they can somehow slip in one of the JJs in the Oneal deal.

Jermaine has 1 year less than Zach and will at that point take 20 mill off the books for us. back to back years with 20 mill coming off the books. As a player and not just a contract Jermaine is a big man who defends, plays team ball and is a LEADER. somehting we lack in all 3 of those categories.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I wouldn't mind the trade. However, I think Isiah should also trade Curry and Crawford, if he decides to trade Randolph. I still think the Knicks should keep Randolph, cause he's one of the few guys on the team that isn't 1 dimensional, but if Isiah trades Randolph and then trades Crawford and Curry, it would be a good move.We should've made an offer for Gasol or Artest, but now we will have to settle for O' Neal, who most likely won't play for the Knicks cause A) he's injured B) the Knicks suck C)he's injured and D) you're not allowed to trade an injured player, unless they pass a physical.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I'm sick of all the Bird don't like Isiah so he won't make a trade nonsense. If Bird saw a trade that would benefit his team he'd make it. Not sure if this would help the Pacers out, but it'd deffinately help us out.

O'neil is a better defender and his contract expires in 2 years (same year as Marbury, James, and Malik)

I hear you Bro! But you have to take that into consideration sometimes. You're right Bird will take any deal that would better his franchise, but he would certainly demand more from Isiah. But Paxon and Isiah aren't the best of freinds, and they seem to be in talks every season. I mean Bird wouldve considered sending Artest to NY for Frye (which in hindsight wouldve been a sweet deal), so they would work together, but Bird would rather trade Jermaine elsewhere.

But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I mean Jermaine wants to be a Knick, Zach would embrace being a Pacer. I mean if Zach can go to a team where he is the low post focal point, then he can put up 20 and 10 easily. Now neither team becomes The Celtics or The Lakers with this possible move, other players need to be added to make these teams winners.

Would Isiah go after Ron after that move? Like I said before, I'd like to see Tinsley a Knick, is he apart of the trade? Would this trade prolonge Isiah getting fired? I'd see if Sac would take Curry in a deal for Ron if we were to land Oneil'. Maybe play Oneil at center, Lee at PF, and Ron at SF. Ok so I'm once again gettin way ahead, but this could atleast provide some ray of hope for us.....or just another bad trade, is it worth the risk?

As much as I want to get shorter contracts and get Jeffries the hell outta here you gotta wonder about a guy that is as in love with Isiah as O'Neal is. I can't take having Eddy Curry on this team anymore. More then Crawford, Marbury, Isiah, Dolan etc he has got to get out of New York.

pat

Starter
I Love It. Oneal Has A Year Left On His Contract And Zach Has 3. Oneal Also Get 6 Million More A Year Than Zach. If They Are Willing To Take Jefferies Off Our Hands Also. I Would Condsider Giving Them David Lee To Make This Deal Work.

After Next Season We Would Lose Another 20 Million In Salary..

This would even be better if we could put Marbury on top for some garbage but I guess it's impossible because of Marbury's injury.

pat

Starter
As much as I want to get shorter contracts and get Jeffries the hell outta here you gotta wonder about a guy that is as in love with Isiah as O'Neal is. I can't take having Eddy Curry on this team anymore. More then Crawford, Marbury, Isiah, Dolan etc he has got to get out of New York.

Jeffries numbers aren't good and he has a huge contract but did you have a look at the +/- column in line of the box scores? I don't like him but I wouldn't trade him. He is a Bruce Bowen kind of player. Apart from the fact that he is too expensive, signing him probably was Isiah's best -- I know it sounds strange -- move.

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...~2986~2782~739&teams=18~18~23~23~23&te=&cash=

Ok so now accompany this move with the one from above. I'd hate to see Balkman go, but you'd get Garcia who doesn't bring the same intesity level as Balkman, but plays good D, and can put the ball in the hoop. Plus like Tinsley he's from New York, and for some reason that means a lot to me. So lets put my two trades on paper

Tinsley
Q
Artest
JO
Eddy (not easy to move in any sense of the phrase)
Lee
Garcia
Chandler
Collins

This now better resembles an actual NBA team. Players who can play on both sides of the ball. A PG who can run an offense, leadership from Oneil, and players who can contribute off the bench. Now Eddy is still the starting Center, but like him or not he is a good decoy on offense. I'd like to see what Isiah could do as coach of this team, and if it doesnt work, I think there are coaches who would embrace this team, Namely JVG!

Now both of these trades are realistic, but is Isiah commited to winning not to players like he says, because the question is if he can see himself letting go of Jamal Crawford which is the only thing that keeps that trade from happening on the Knicks side. Also I know Bird likes Dunlevy, would he want to bring in Crawford? But you gotta admit that I am on to something....or just maybe on something!

paris401

Starter
Jeffries numbers aren't good and he has a huge contract but did you have a look at the +/- column in line of the box scores? I don't like him but I wouldn't trade him. He is a Bruce Bowen kind of player. Apart from the fact that he is too expensive, signing him probably was Isiah's best -- I know it sounds strange -- move.

jefferies blows... he has no "O" game, and i don't think he is that great on "D" either...

i guess when u look at all the moves IT has made, maybe jefferies is the best... i can't believe i am saying that...