arron_afflalo.png
courtney_lee.png

jose_calderon.png
mario_chalmers.png
]

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Memphis Grizzlies
Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)Jordan Adams - Right knee surgery (OUT)
Carmelo Anthony - Sprained right ankle (QUEST)Mike Conley - Sore left Achilles (OUT)
Kristaps Porzingis - Sore Right Shoulder (QUEST)Jarell Martin - Left foot bone bruise (OUT)
Kristaps Porzingis - Sore Right Shoulder (QUEST)Brandan Wright - Right knee surgery (OUT)

Game Preview

It'd be easy to look at the uncertain statuses of Carmelo Anthony, Kristaps Porzingis and Mike Conley to find some intrigue in a matchup between the New York Knicks and the Memphis Grizzlies.

Amazingly, the real drama lies between the Grizzlies' seventh-leading scorer and the Knicks' head coach.

Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher will be on the same floor for the first time since their bizarre offseason altercation as Memphis continues a six-game homestand Saturday night against New York.

Barnes has already served a two-game suspension for his role in an October brawl at the Los Angeles home of Barnes' estranged wife. Barnes told reporters that he drove 95 miles to the home after receiving text messages from his son, who was concerned that Fisher was visiting - and apparently dating - his mother.

Fisher has mostly avoided talking about the incident, but Barnes hasn't let it go. In November, he said Fisher should not have told police about what happened and that the former Lakers teammates should have handled it like "grown men." Barnes served his suspension in the Grizzlies' last game in December and first in January, and he wasn't ready to move on when asked about it Thursday.

"I know I've got to keep my mouth shut because (Fisher) will run and tell," Barnes said. "So we're focused on playing that team (the Knicks). And when I'm retired, him and I will cross paths again."

Barnes said he plans to avoid Fisher on Saturday, but the Knicks' coach will want to make sure his defenders aren't leaving Barnes alone. The 13-year veteran returned Thursday after missing a game with a thumb contusion and dropped 18 points off the bench - hitting all six of his 3-point attempts - in a 103-101 win over Detroit.

He's shooting 47.4 percent overall and 40.3 percent from 3 in his last 14 games after posting 37.4 and 29.9 percentages in his first 24 games with Memphis (22-19).

"It just took a little bit of time," Barnes said. "I'm 35, so it took a little time for me to get my legs underneath me, to get acquainted with this system, and now my teammates know where to find me."

The Grizzlies would have been headed to overtime if not for a jumper with 0.8 seconds left from Mario Chalmers, who had 25 points while starting a fourth straight game for Conley. It's unclear if Conley will be able to return Saturday with his sore left Achilles bothering him.

Porzingis hasn't missed a game all season but has been added to the injury report with a sore right shoulder. He's listed as questionable along with Anthony, who missed Wednesday's game against Brooklyn with a sprained right ankle. The Knicks (20-21) certainly missed him, as fill-in Lance Thomas shot 2 for 10 and was a minus-18 in a 110-104 loss.

Derrick Williams picked up some slack off the bench by matching a career high with 31 points, but it was Porzingis who perhaps took the loss the hardest and was looking forward after going 5 for 17 from the field.

"On nights like this when we don't have (Anthony), I can't have a shooting night like this," Porzingis said. "I've got to step up. I've got to score the ball more."

That came on the second night of a back-to-back, but for Porzingis, less rest hasn't been a bad thing. He's averaging 14.3 points and shooting 43.6 percent with no days or one day of down time, compared to 11.5 points and 34.4 percent with at least two days between games.

The Knicks have lost four straight in the series as the Grizzlies have had a 216-118 edge in paint points. Anthony missed both of last season's meetings.

(nba.com)

I can't wait to get this game over so hopefully we finally get a break from Matt Barnes and his unapologetic trash talk. I hope Fisher has instructed whoever passes for our enforcer these days to knock Barnes into the 10th row the first time he has the ball or, even better, Fisher runs off the bench in his suit and does it himself. I know that some people will defend Barnes, but seriously, all he does is talk about Fisher being a snitch, but who is the one who hasn't shut up publicly saying crap about the other guy the last 2 months?

As far as the game itself, we can play with Memphis, it just defends what version of this team shows up. We can't be missing Melo, have Porzingis have a bad shooting game, and play terrible defense all night and expect to win, even if one guy (like Derrick Williams) has a career game.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for the game thread Rady. Melo is out for the Knicks, Porzingis will play. Looks like a loss tonight, tough matchups all over, Gasol on Lopez, Zach on KP and Allan on AA. Damn I wish the Knicks would get above .500 and stay there but tonight won't be the night.

Thanks for the game thread Rady. Melo is out for the Knicks, Porzingis will play. Looks like a loss tonight, tough matchups all over, Gasol on Lopez, Zach on KP and Allan on AA. Damn I wish the Knicks would get above .500 and stay there but tonight won't be the night.

Geez, man, let's at least see how things play out. You never know, even if the chances are not good.

Galloway moves into the starting lineup tonight. I like this move in theory, but we need the 'good' version of Galloway to make this work, not the overly aggressive or completely invisible versions of Galloway that tend to show up whenever he has a chance to take the next big step forward.

Afflalo moves to the 3 with Calderon and Galloway as the starting backcourt. Lance Thomas back to the bench after an unsuccessful start against Brooklyn.

When we're on defense, KP is on Gasol and Lopez is on Randolph. When we're on offense, Gasol is on Lopez and Randolph is on KP.

Gasol and Randolph already lighting us up, in particular Gasol. Porzingis responds with the 3, but Randolph comes right back with the and-1 to give Memphis an early 13 - 7 lead.

Lopez already with 2 fouls in 4 and a half minutes. Kyle O'Quinn comes off the bench for some early minutes.

Porzingis starts the game 3 for his first 4 with 7 points in the first 5 and a half minutes of the 1st quarter.

Ridiculous acrobatic play from Porzingis. He dribbles past Gasol on the perimeter, loses the ball in the paint, grabs it back off the floor, and throws it in over his head with his back to the hoop while he gets fouled for a possible and-1.

Porzingis gives us the 18 - 16 point lead after he scores his 10th point of the 1st quarter. O'Quinn now with his 2nd foul, still with over 5 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. Fisher leaves O'Quinn in the game. Matt Barnes just checked into the game for the 1st time.

tiger0330

Legend
Did Clyde say Gallo had 7rbs in the 1st? Was watching some DLeague today and the have Jimmer playing SG, he's not better than Gallo or JC, I don't think a call up is in the cards for him.

tiger0330

Legend
Weird play I've never seen. Lopez comes back in replaces KP, gets his 3rd foul the first play he's back in and Fish sends KP back in after a 10 second rest.

mafra

Legend
Affalo, Calderon, Langston and Grant have 14 points and 5 assists combined

KP has 12 points and 2 assists himself.

Mind you the MEM starting guards are Chalmers and Courtney Lee.

This game is basically Jeff Green vs KP (offensively)...

tiger0330

Legend
Nice game by a Knicks team wo Melo, taking a 2 pt lead into the locker room at the half. KP and DWill leading the scoring, DWill with that spin move getting most of his points, that's his money move.