Do you think our team would be better with Amar'e coming off the bench?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
First off, this is not an anti-Amar'e thread. Second off, I know this is highly unlikely to happen. Don't get whiny.

I liked our play with Jeffries and Chandler as the starters. It was a great mix of offense and defense (especially a great starting five against the Lakers).

Now let's say Amar'e gets back to his great form, wouldn't this be perfect with Baron on the bench? Baron is a better passer than Lin, and Baron could get back to form this way. If Amar'e doesn't get back to form, Baron could help him, and again, Baron could get back to form this way.

Jeffries also improved offensively.

I would love for this line-up to be given a shot. We'd have a starting caliber team on the bench.

smokes

Huge Member
It wouldn't be so bad but I think we'll be a stronger team if Melo and Amare can play great together. The more time they get on the court together the better to build that chemistry.

I dunno if they can, but they should be able to.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Not a bad move, Lin can work the pick and roll with Chandler they already have amazing chemistry & baron and stat can work the pick & roll off the bench. Plus stat off the bench makes our bench even stronger. you can even play stat at center coming off the bench and make it easier on him on the offensive end.

starters
Lin
Fields
Melo
Jeffries
Chandler

Bench
Baron
Jr
Novak
Jorts
stat

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Why though? Wouldn't you say Amar'e worked best with Nash? Why would it be better to develop his chemistry with Melo rather than with Baron?

its not like you have to pick one person for him to work with. its either lin or baron, AND melo. melo is a great passer. no one can draw more defensive attention than him. it helps both of them.

I sort of agree. Stat isn't working so well with Lin, probably because Lin isn't as creative as Nash. Chandler can get Lin's ball because he is taller, and makes a better screen before cutting in for easy lay-ins.

knicksin60

Starter
The problem is his contract and his age. It wouldn't look good on the Knicks to pay a man more than $20 million a season in the second year of his contract to be a second unit player. It would show that the Knicks have given up on his ability to handle starter minutes in the NBA.If Amar'e was a 35 year old player at the twilight of his career and had only 2 years remaining on a multi year contract then it would make every sense in the world to reserve him to a bench role. But he's not even thirty years old right now.The only rational explanation in why the Knicks would make such a decision to turn him into a role player would be that his physical health has deteriorated.I would give it one more year of inconsistency from Amar'e before I remove him from the starting lineup.

Number3

Benchwarmer
we have too many offensive players in our starting line up.. it will be better having Melo and Stat playing with their own line up.... put jeffries as starter... and Stat with a defensive line up.. Shumpert, Harrelson, Smith , Davis

Forrest17

Rotation player
Jefferies has been the better player in my opinion the last month without question.

He defends and rebounds better than amar'e. He takes charges and causes turnovers.. He is so limited offensively but offense is amar'es the only thing he normally has over jefferies but right now Amar'e doesn't seem to be anymore skilled on that end than him. He gets blocked by guys half his height and his jumper isn't what it used to be.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Damn that team sounds bad*ss!
Melo would command the starters while STAT cleans up?
Sign me up for that!
The offense would never stop and the Defense would be an amazing second unit

dave2138

Rotation player
If you do that then what happens during the last few minutes of a close game? Do you keep Stoudemire on the bench? Or do you play him with Melo/Lin and risk him being rusty playing with that specific unit.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If you do that then what happens during the last few minutes of a close game? Do you keep Stoudemire on the bench? Or do you play him with Melo/Lin and risk him being rusty playing with that specific unit.
It's not uncommon for bench players to close games. It wouldn't be a big problem.

wynton

Rookie
I actually think that Jorts would work great with the starting unit. He is a much, much better defender than Stat, probably as good a rebounder and maybe a more reliable jump shooter now.

I realize that there is no chance of Jorts being used as a starter this year, but I believe that he is the type of player who could work well at that spot in the future.

As for this year, I think we just have to hope that Stat improves. I remain hopeful that will happen.

Number3

Benchwarmer
its not mandatory to keep the bench while the whole starters sit... the last minutes.. you can put all your offense out including melo and stat... and if u need a timeout to put make a stop against the other team u can bring out all the defensive players

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The reason the pick-and-roll is working with Chandler and not Amare is very simple. Spacing. Defenses still have to respect Amare's outside shot. When he is at the top of the key, he draws a defender, allowing Chandler the space to roll to the basket and Lin the space to pass it to him. Chandler's outside shot is not a concern for defenses. His defender will always be in the low block creating too much clutter for Amare to roll and Lin to find the space to pass it to him.

With that said, Amare doesn't need to come off the bench. When he and Chandler are on the floor together, or Chandler and Jeffries, run the pick-and-roll through Chandler. With the option of kicking out to either Amare or Melo. When Chandler goes to the bench, move Amare to Center, with either Melo or Harrelson at PF, and run the pick-and-roll through Amare.

Very simple. With this approach, and better outside shooting from SG, we will see much greater production out of Amare, and everybody else, in my opinion.

tiger0330

Legend
I would rather see if the Knicks can trade him and get involved in the Dwight Howard trade and somehow get Pau to NY. I think the offense would work better with a post player instead of someone like Stat.