New York @ Detroit 01/29 Game Thread (L 91-61)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
knicks_100.gif
@
pistons_100.gif

Lineups:

New York Knicks (18-24 ) ::6-13 on Road
stephon_marbury.jpg
jamal_crawford.jpg
nazr_mohammed.jpg
trevor_ariza.jpg
kurt_thomas.jpg
herb_williams.jpg

Detroit Pistons (25-18 ) :: 14-7 at The Palace
chauncey_billups.jpg
richard_hamilton.jpg
ben_wallace.jpg
tayshaun_prince.jpg
rasheed_wallace.jpg
larry_brown.jpg

Game Time: 7:00 PM EST
TV: ESPN, MSG, MSGHD
Radio: 1050 ESPN

Game Recap
Pistons 91 - Knicks 61

NYKnicks15

Starter
watching the game and so far so good. were without penny who was a big part of last game but i hope that ankle feels better soon. Good playing by Nazr. Brewer im starting to like this guy good D, and energetic worries about his teammates before himself which is rare. and last before i go back to the game i have to take something back i said a little while ago sort of. I said Ariza wasnt ready to start due to his lack of bball iq. but hes definetely playing great out there. two great dunks so far. im really surprised he went so deep in the draft. just needs to develop his jumpshot but he truly is are future at SF....until we get Lebron haha (we can always dream)....post back after halftime or so GO KNICKS!!!!

NYKnicks15

Starter
the ref is hurt. Arroyo hurt. Prince shooken up. and most importantly the only injury i dod care about is TREVOR ARIZA!!! nothing can go right for the knicks. marbury and crawford not producing, no one is producing. were done 21 this whole half we gave up and played with no heart...were playin like u know what

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
ugh our offense was non existant. usually the problem is defense but tonight looked a lot like both. nyknicksfan15, u said ariza is injured???

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
ariza sprained left ankle this sucks.... any happen to catch his alleyoop and his huge put back dunk......all these injuries are really pissing me off houston is getting paid way to much to be sitting on the bench, this is what should happen to layden for signing him that huge contract : :bang:

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
we need to get rid of houston asap. hes only going to get worse. i dont think anybody would take houstons contract unless marbury was invovled as well.

i know ive said this many times, and i know that its not likely to happen, but we NEED TO UNLOAD ALL OF OUR CONTRACTS so that we can start with a fresh new payroll next season.

marbury, houston, hardaway, k. thomas for stouadmire, rahim, telfair, outlaw, miles

this must be done. actually i dont evne think portland would do that. it'd have to be:

marbury, houston, k. thomas for rahim, stoudamire, telfair and outlaw

then we get 30 million comming off the books at the end of this season and another 30 million (penny and tim t.) next season

if the knicks dont do this, they will be an average team for many years to come

NYKnicks15

Starter
not this crap again...haha jk im going to be nice about it...

as I see lowering are annual salaries a good thing it really will never happen.

next year Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway, Moochie Norris, Vin Baker, Nazr will be in the last years of their contracts were in a decent situation here. unloading are contracts this year will do nothing for us because most of the players becoming free agents will stick with their team. and no one out there this year is frankly great enough for us to pursue in my opinion.

in a time like this you need to think of roster moves that will help are team in the long run. saving cap space and playing even worse then we are now wont solve anything. accept going into the draft early but with a weak group of kids to pick from.

i hate to say this but in due time we will be fine...2006/07 offseason will be great for us salary will be very low and it happens thats the year LeBron becomes a free agent ;)

in due time theres no need to rush and get salary space for no reason

think small but eventually effective trades, plus would u really want miles whos contract runs all the way to 09/10??

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
I really can't see Thomas trading Marbury away this off-season, he seems pretty convinced that the expiring contracts we have will make for an interesting summer.

We will have to wait and see.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
nyknicks15,

did u read this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/276082p-236486c.html

isiah sucks. how will having expring contracts be any better? why woud a team trade with him if they really like a player? he'll only be able to get players like tim thomas if he tries to use those expiring contracts to his advantage. he'll never get a really great star, because why would that team let that star go?

if you dont realize that we need to unload the entire knicks roster and start fresh, then u are crazy. and its people like that who had caused the knicks to be so bad for such a long time. people that put pressure on the gm to "win now". and people who are always optimistic that those expriing contracts will be useful. its crap and i dont buy it. we need to shave off about 70 million off the payroll. isiah is an egomaniac and he wont do it so he should be fired.

NYKnicks15

Starter
that article and ur comment contradicted yourself...

you said having expiring contracts is pointless....then you post something saying isiah is bad for getting rid of expiring contracts...that makes no sense man.

we used expiring contracts to get who?! Jamal Crawford and Stephon Marbury are two guard starters....chicago was willing to get rid of its rising star. pheonix was willing to get rid of its star of that time frame.

people will get rid of stars because sometimes you want to start with a fresh face. with a smaller salary cap and make a run for "better" players down the road. just like your proposed marbury/houston/thomas whoever trade for expiring contracts. you would want us to get rid of marbury and thomas to get expiring contracts...and dont get me wrong but id love to see houstons salary gone but its not gonna happen...you talked about not having to win right now....then wait....baker, norris, thomas, penny, nazr then after that houston and williams....will be in there last years of contracts within the next years so then sit back and be patient

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
theres a difference.

rahim and stoudamire have contracts that expire at the END OF THE SEASON. so that would be 30 million or so comming off the books immediately. penny and tim dont. we would have to trade them to get anything out of it.

jamal crawford - noboy except us wanted him. hes not a star, he takes too many shots - lots of guys could score 20 points a game if they chucked up as many shots as him. and he does nothing else (defend or rebound).

marbury was a scoring point guard and phoenix was smart to realize that in this league, the teams that do the best almost always have PASS FIRST point guards. look how great they did after the dumped marbury on us. marbury might be a better overall player than nash, but as a pass first pg, nash is better for his team.

i think the terminology is messed up. i want contracts that will end at the end of this season. we probably still wont get under the cap, but we will make progress.

we wont get shit this summer out of penny and tim. watch and see. actually, we will. we'll get another long term contract of an above average player and we will enter this endless torture of having overpaid bums with long contracts on our team.

i havent contradicted shit. you are just a naive fan that always is optimistic and wants to always win, instead of understanding the reality of the situation.

and besides that, even if the knicks got a decent player, they STILL would barely be an above avg team in the nba, if even that. they are a LOOOONG way away from being title contenders. and they will never get better because of people like isiah thomas and you.

NYKnicks15

Starter
dude u must be PMS-ing. you really need to chill out.

did i ever say theyd be a title contender soon? NO i said be patient. you must play too much nba live dynasty mode because getting rid of all our contracts to the trailblazers (will not happen). so YOU must not realize the reality of the situation buddy. i said we have expiring contracts in nazr, vin, moochie, tim and penny eventually allan and williams. i never said we had to win win win. i said be patient. within the next few years we will be fine but we are rebuilding and you just have to wait...if you want to be informed even better check out the thread called KNICKS FUTURE. unloading all the contracts right now wont do anything!!! tell me who is so good that we need to unload are contracts right now?! what progress could we make by doing this?! think about it were better off waiting out the contracts of the players we have now an actually attempt to be mediocre...instead of trading for expiring contracts in which there is no great free agents to fill those spots nor is it worth going into the draft for a weak player.

isiah thomas and me? its nice to be put in the same sentence as him. look what isiah did.
would you rather have....
C Dikembe Mutumbo/Macjei Lampe/Michael Doleac, Slavko Vranes
F Kurt Thomas/Othella Harrington/Mike Sweetney/Antonio Mcdyess
F Keith Van Horn/Shandon Anderson/Clarence Weatherspoon
GAllan Houston
G Howard Eisley/Charlie Ward/Frank Williams
OR
C Nazr Mohammed/Vin Baker/Bruno Sundov
F Kurt Thomas/Mike Sweetney
F Tim Thomas/Trevor Ariza/Jerome Williams
F Jamal Crawford/Penny Hardaway
G Stephon Marbury/Moochie Norris/Jamison Brewer ?????

we were a losing team before hand now we just have a good core of players. he was stuck with what he was given and tried to make due with it. do you know Isiah personally?!?! are u in his head?!? u dont know what he has in store down the road. with houstons, bakers, norris', williams, tims and pennys contracts ALL expiring in 2-3 years dont you think maybe JUST maybe he wants to make a run at a great player like amare who becomes a free agent in 06 or yao who becomes a free agent in 06 aswell...but personally i think hell go after someone even greater like LEBRON JAMES who becomes a free agent in 07.....im just tryin to say isiah isnt doin anything wrong, he knows what hes doing or atleast he leads us to believe. you said it yourself were not gonna win a championship anytime soon BE PATIENT and everything will work out for the best...he said it good in the other thread you have to have a little faith seeing Isiah did build the pacers...

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
ok so propose a trade that isiah will be able to accomplish with penny and tim. what do u "envision" happening? tell me what you are "patiently" hoping for.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i dont think u read that article. im not the only one who thinks the knicks should unload and get a couple of high lottery picks the next few years. isiah wasnt stuck with what he was given, he has added to the mess himself. i bet every smart reporter agrees with me that the knicks need to unload. the dumb ones who dont understand the league are the ones who think we have a "decent" team and want to "wait till the summer" and think that "we only have a few more guys to add before we become great". we suck. we are so far away from being a good team its pathetic. we are in worse shape than the charlotte bobcats. and im not even joking. the bobcats have a brighter future.

NYKnicks15

Starter
gettin lottery picks no matter who says it wont do s**t (as you say) why? because tell me who in the draft is so incredible we need a few high lottery picks?!? and next year we dont even have lottery picks. cmon honestly man. the draft these next 2 years arent so incredibly great they are very very weak.

what am i patiently waiting for??? i think i already stated that....vin, moochie, houston, williams, tim, penny are all expiring contracts within the next 2-3 years...wait them out!!!
my idea is if we do sign guys until then sign them for cheap for 1-2-3 years max and let them go. so when we do wait every thing out BEING PATIENT we can make a run at Amare, or Yao, or better yet LEBRON JAMES in 2007. why get rid of are core of players right this second to please people like you for no reason?! you still havent answered me on whos so great this offseason we need to clear up space for anyways....soo do you make money off the knicks (not including gambling)??? no..james dolan does and if james wants to waste his money let him...because lowering are cap for no reason right now wouldnt please me! it wouldnt please are fans! (whod rather see marbury, crawford out there instead of johnny nobody) who would it please?!?! were not going to get salary space to pick up nobodies....wait it out and pick up realllllll somebodies....that is what i envision!

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
lebron james was a lottery pick. so was dwight howard. so was yao ming. they havent done shit? i remember when the orlando magic were a terrible team, and then they got shaq one year and penny (when he was actually good) the next. then they made the nba finals. i dont care if its a thin draft or not, its still a draft with young players who have talent and upside. we have a roster full of players who are past their prime, or those who will never reach their prime.

for example, lets say we were under the cap this year. we may have been able to get kobe. arent michael redd and ray allen going to be in walk years? they are BOTH by far much better 2 guards than jamal crawford. if we could package crawford with some other guys who we dont want in return for contracts that expire THIS YEAR, we might be able to get under the cap. if we could get under the cap, we could sign them. there's ALWAYS going to be great free agents on the market, if not one year, then definetely the next. there's ALWAYS going to be a great possible pick up from the lottery, if not this year, then definetely the next or the one after that. the bottom line is that the position we are currently in is NOT GOOD. we dont have a lot of youg talent. marbury and crawford, are two supposed stars, really aren' that great. even though marbury is a great player, hes not good for a team as a scoring point guard. almost every great team i can think of has point guards who are NOT the best scorers on the team. maybe allen iverson is the only exception i can think of, and hes much better than marbury because he can score 30 points night in night out, unlike marbury. and the 76ers arent very good anyway.

YOU WONT BE ABLE TO GET SOLID PLAYERS FOR 1-3 YEARS. PLAYERS ARE GREEDY. if a player is solid, he will want more years and more money. eddy curry suposedly wants a maximum contract, which is absurd. watch, we wont get ANYTHING good from tim t. and penny. name ONE time in the past that ANY team has used expiring contracts to get good players in return. i like conracts that end at the end of THIS season in hopes of being able to get under teh cap so i can outright SIGN a free agent instead of having to swing a deal or signa and trade, because that is much harder. kwame brown, swift, redd, allen, e. curry are a few players i can think of that would be big UPGRADES at their respective positions, even if we had to pay them as much as the current players make, it still would be better. for example, kurt t. makes 7.5, if we could give stromile a 4 year 35 millio ndollar deal, it might work, and i think that would be better than kurt at 4 for 30. but we cant do that since we arent under the cap. kurt thomas is getting old. hes going to get worse. same with allan houston.

flip the sides. lets say another team has a guy who basically sucks, is over 30 and is injured (penny) most of the time, or a guy who has no heart and has always played below his potential (tim t.). why would you take them? NAME ONE TEAM or PROPOSE ONE TRADE that will SIGNIFICANTLY help our team. PATIENTLY WAITING TILL THE SUMMER will do nothing. IF YOU CANT EVEN IMAGINE ONE SCENARIO REALISTICALLY THAT WILL HAPPEN, then WHAT ARE YOU PATIENTLY WAITING FOR????????? ARE YOU HOPING JACK WILL SELL YOU HIS MAGIC BEANS?

we need to get under the cap. we need to enter the lottery for the next 2 years. we need to position ourselves to sign the next big superstar.

NYKnicks15

Starter
bravo. that was a great way to avoid the questions i asked you. i dont care who was a free agent last year it doesnt matter its all about the future. eddy curry yes hed be a great upgrade but do you think chicago is gonna let him slip through their hands??? Ray Allen you talk about getting younger then why get Ray Allen? Sure hes good but why pick up a large contract for someone aging right? Michael Redd, good choice but say in the scenario we get rid of jamal and a package. we have a little salary space for michael redd and he resigns with milwaukee for a s***load of money. where does that leave us?

Did I say Dwight Howard doesnt do anything? Did I say LeBron doesnt do anything? Did I say Yao didnt do anything? no i said the lottery is weak. a lot of "smart reporters" as you call them even see this. isiah even said this. there are no impact players or saviors in the draft this year and it is true. tell me a player in the draft thats great this year?? and would make a great addition to the team? by the way we cant get in the lottery for the next two years we only have this years draft pick, do your research...

We got Nazr in the Tim trade and thats the only reason Isiah took it. if it was straight up KVH for Tim he wouldnt have done it. Tim expired in 2years along with Nazr and im sure Isiah knew that.

Patiently waiting until this summer? I think you read it incorrectly or maybe you were just to excited to write in cap letters you forgot. First i said sign bench players for 1-3 contracts as our bigger contracts run out into free agency. I didnt say wait until offseason and TRADE??? did i? read it again. youre really making an a** out of yourself yelling and not reading the post before yours. I said wait out our contracts for 1-3 years. Williams, Vin, Moochie, Allan, Tim, Penny. That will give us the space we need. to sign someone of importance. Why get rid of the whole team before that point. when we can just wait it out with a team thats played together and let them play. sure they wont be great. but trading away all our players right now would have the same effect. One scenario realisitcally/??!?! hmmm let me think about this....like i said we wait out our contracts...then in 06 we make a run at Amare OR Yao, and then in 07 the best one of all LEBRON!!! how many times do i have to say it?