Knicks Should have kept Gallo , Walsh was a SemiGood GM

petescud

Starter
I for one have changed my mind...Melo is better then i thought...we gave up a lot but you'd have a hard time getting Melo for say straight up Gallo....right

KBlack25

Starter
we wouldent have gotten melo if we didnt offer them gallo, gallo was the main piece. There no doubt in my mind if we didnt offer them gallo he would be a net right now and we would have derron williams.

Exactly...but I agree what happened happened...we got Melo now, gotta move forward.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I wanted to keep Fields the most. You never knew what you were gonna get with Gallo. A lot of games he didn't seem to call for the ball and didn't get it, a lot of games he'd shoot a bunch of threes whether they were going in or not, and there was some games where he took it to the basket and couldn't be stopped.

Fields showed a lot of IQ and turned out to be a GREAT pick. He could turn into one of those special late picks like Monta.

Wargames

Starter
Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm gonna go against the grain and say this.

If the new cap is $70-$75 Million and we have $40 million basically invested in 2 players the Knicks have to be smart about this to not spend more than $10 million on any single player..... Honestly paying $7 to a good player should be the max.....

Unless some sort of exemptions or salary grandfather clause is added.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The problem with not giving up Gallo is that I believe I read somewhere that Carmelo was pretty close to ending up as a Net...if Carmelo was over in Jersey, we'd be PISSED even if we got Deron Williams as a consolation prize. D-Will is a good player but he's not dynamic like Melo is.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The problem with not giving up Gallo is that I believe I read somewhere that Carmelo was pretty close to ending up as a Net...if Carmelo was over in Jersey, we'd be PISSED even if we got Deron Williams as a consolation prize. D-Will is a good player but he's not dynamic like Melo is.
I think D-Will is more than a consolation prize.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, consolation prize wasn't the best way to say it but at the end of the day I think we can agree that we wanted Melo in a Knick uniform and we have it. If for some reason Melo went to NJ and we ended up dumpingi Gallo for D-Will I don't know if that'd be the best move for our franchise moving forward.

Yeah, consolation prize wasn't the best way to say it but at the end of the day I think we can agree that we wanted Melo in a Knick uniform and we have it. If for some reason Melo went to NJ and we ended up dumpingi Gallo for D-Will I don't know if that'd be the best move for our franchise moving forward.

yeh, we got a player that no1 can guard on the offsive side. He can post up, drive and finish, get his own board and finish, I mean hes the man. Lebron cant post up for his life. Stoudmire is the hardest PF to guard in the league imo. We just need to get 2 outa of the 3 in tomarrows draft. A guy that can spread the floor, a defensive minded player, and some size for boards. A PG for the future would be nice too. :)

Charles Jenkins is a big sleeper, I hope we can get him, selby, or iman with our 2nd pick that were buying. Jenkins has come a far way and not only does he have the skill he has the heart, very tough kid I would like to see us get jenkins over selby. The kid has <3.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yeah, Melo is the better player...but it wouldn't have cost us as much to get DWill, and DWill is the better compliment to Amare. We really didn't see any kind of complimentary games with Melo/Amare (e.g. one benefiting from the other). No passing to the other out of their double teams, no pick-and-rolls, nothing. Essentially it was iso-Melo or iso-Amare. Plus, Melo rotting in NJ didn't bother me. That team would be awful with all they would have given to get him. Melo would have got his money so he would still be happy.

DWill + Mozgov + Chandler >>>>> Melo.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We really didn't see any kind of complimentary games with Melo/Amare (e.g. one benefiting from the other). No passing to the other out of their double teams, no pick-and-rolls, nothing. Essentially it was iso-Melo or iso-Amare.

That's system based. Or, in this case especially, systemic coaching.

We were one of the more predictable/monotonous/unprepared teams in basketball on the offensive end. Typically, I've been basically labeled as petulant for saying so. Over that 2 month period in which Melo was a Knick, literally nothing was done to create any symbiosis between him and Stoudemire. Nothing. In the first 5 games there was. Until MD's sans-Nash, erroneous offence took hold and ruined it.

You are the only person, other than myself, who has actually brought up this fact.

I, on the other hand, do not point the finger at Melo. Nor do I at STAT.

We had the ingredients, just not the technology.

* Waits for the faithful to ramble about injuries and the adjustment period. I get it, it's fair, and can't go without being considered. 7 new players - yada, yada, yada.

Doesn't change the fact that we ran 3 plays: ISOs - which made up half our points - , Spaced 3 pointers and the P&R. Revolutionary.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Crazy⑧s;182146 said:
That's system based. Or, in this case especially, systemic coaching.

We were one of the more predictable/monotonous/unprepared teams in basketball on the offensive end. Typically, I've been basically labeled as petulant for saying so. Over that 2 month period in which Melo was a Knick, literally nothing was done to create any symbiosis between him and Stoudemire. Nothing. In the first 5 games there was. Until MD's sans-Nash, erroneous offence took hold and ruined it.

You are the only person, other than myself, who has actually brought up this fact.

I, on the other hand, do not point the finger at Melo. Nor do I at STAT.

We had the ingredients, just not the technology.

* Waits for the faithful to ramble about injuries and the adjustment period. I get it, it's fair, and can't go without being considered. 7 new players - yada, yada, yada.

Doesn't change the fact that we ran 3 plays: ISOs - which made up half our points - , Spaced 3 pointers and the P&R. Revolutionary.

I disagree. I am one of the few that doesn't mind D'Antoni's system. I blame him more for the lack of defensive assignments and believe a good defensive assistant coach could complete his system. His offensive system, to me, can be very successful, with the right pieces. Melo and Billups do not fit his system and do not compliment Amare's strengths. Since we're stuck with them, I have no issues replacing D'Antoni with a "Larry Brown" type coach that slows the game down, plays tough defense, and allows Melo to iso.

While I loved Felton's heart and intensity, he often struggled with the pick-and-roll. There were many times he would miss Amare, or even Mozgov, on the pick-and-roll. DWill with Amare and Mozgov would have been lethal. Add Chandler to the mix and all we would have needed was a knock-down SG (think Kevin Martin type) and we would have been contenders. That would have been a very well offense/defense balanced team.

Oh well, and as others have suggested. Time to move on.