Sources: Nuggets soften trade stance

Smooth

Benchwarmer
The Denver Nuggets' resistance to trading star forward Carmelo Anthony is fading away, according to sources with knowledge of Denver's thinking.
The Nuggets still aren't aggressively shopping Anthony and haven't withdrawn their longstanding offer of a contract extension, but numerous sources told ESPN.com that Denver officials have in recent days let other teams know for the first time that they will listen to pitches after previously resisting such discussions.
"I'm not sure how soon, but I do think they're going to trade him [between now and February]," said one rival GM.
<!-- begin inline 1 --><!--INLINE MUG-->
1975.jpg

Anthony
<!--END INLINE MUG--><!-- end inline 1 -->
Said another source briefed on Denver's plans: "There's no doubt they are working on it. Eventually they're going to pull the trigger. "
Reports have persisted for weeks that Anthony, who can become a free agent at the end of the coming season, wants out.
ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported Aug. 16 that it was "a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will go their separate ways," while CBSSports.com quoted "multiple sources" last week as saying that the 26-year-old "has not wavered in his desire to be dealt" and that the New Jersey Nets are making the hardest active pitch for Anthony.
Although Anthony has not made any such declarations publicly, it appears that Nuggets management is growing increasingly resigned to the fact that they won't be able to change their franchise player's mind.
One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Anthony has been no more communicative with the organization since the hiring of Masai Ujiri as Denver's new vice president of basketball operations in late August than he was before Ujiri's return to the Nuggets. Ujiri began his front-office career as a Nuggets scout during Anthony's rookie season in 2003-04 and spoke optimistically about arranging a face-to-face meeting with Anthony -- which sources say has not yet taken place -- and trying to sell him on the team's plans for the future at his introductory press conference.
The Nuggets, during Ujiri's first two weeks in the office, consistently told teams calling to register trade interest in Anthony that they weren't ready to discuss the subject.
But the Nuggets, sources said, have relaxed that stance and are starting to explore how much they might be able to get in return for the high-scoring small forward. To agree to a deal, Denver would expect at least one top-flight young player it can market along with salary-cap relief and multiple future first-round picks.
Trading Anthony, however, is not as simple as merely seeking out the best deal or even recruiting a third team to help facilitate a trade, because of Anthony's ability to become a free agent in July. It's widely assumed in NBA front-office circles that any team trading for Anthony would expect him to commit to a contract extension as part of the deal -- as Kevin Garnett did when Minnesota sent him to Boston in the summer of 2007 -- which gives Anthony some measure of input into his trade destination.
Yet sources say that Denver, after watching LeBron James and Chris Bosh devastate Cleveland and Toronto, respectively, by bolting to Miami in July, is determined to avoid the same fate with Anthony and will ultimately work with him on a trade before the February trading deadline if the alternative is potentially losing him outright in free agency.
Ujiri, in particular, just lived through the Bosh saga as a member of Toronto's front office before taking the Nuggets' job.
No clear frontrunner has yet emerged in the Anthony sweepstakes, despite Anthony's presumed desire to play for the big-market New York Knicks or Nets, but one source -- who told ESPN.com earlier this month that he believed Anthony could even be traded before the start of the season -- continues to make that claim.
The source said that a trade could materialize quickly enough that Anthony "might never wear a Nuggets uniform again."
The Nuggets' annual media day is Sept. 27, with training camp scheduled to open the following day.
During a TBS television appearance earlier this week with comedian George Lopez, when asked where he was expecting to play this season, Anthony said: "I'm a Nugget. I'm a Nugget, man."
Yet Anthony has also sidestepped such questions in other recent interviews, contributing to the mounting tension in Denver all summer while the Nuggets' three-year extension offer worth $65 million remains unsigned. Around the time of the draft in June, Nuggets officials were quietly optimistic that Anthony was about to sign.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
He's really not worth devastating our depth for. Luckily, we really don't have the pieces we need to get the trade done.

He'll be a NJ Net if anything. And then I can hate him.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I am getting tired of this Melo news. He is getting traded and it's not going to be the Knicks. I just hope its not the Nets.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'd love to have Melo here but it seems if DEN is forced to deal with us then they will want A LOT to compensate for our lack of a top flight talent in return. It might have helped if we had any upcoming draft picks but thats another issue.

Our best bet to avoid gutting the team is to get a third team involved.

Toby Kimbal

Benchwarmer
they get nothing

for Melo at the end of the season so, we can probably give them Gallo and a # 1 and get it done. I don't like giving up a # 1 but, i don't think GAllo will be a great player and he might not be enough. He might be though after all like i said they get nothing at the end of the season. Maybe, they think Gallo will develop into an Allstar.