Yankees get Javier Vazquez while they give up Melky

johnstarky

Rotation player
Another successful off season move by Brian Cashman.He gives the Braves a 4th outfeilder and some minor leaguers for a 4th starter.

I know that many Yankee fans think of game 7 of the 2004 ALCS whenever they hear Vazquez's name but people forget how he was an all-star the first half of that season,wasn't physically 100 percent in the second half for the Yankees, averages 200 innings a season and finished in the top 5 in the race for the 2009 NL Cy Young award.

The Yankees were the winners in this trade.As much as Melky was a valuable piece for the Yankees throughout their 2009 World Series run he wasn't going to develop into anything more than a reserved outfielder.Brian Cashman deserves a lot of credit for acquiring Vazquez, Granderson, and Nick Johnson without having to give up Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Jesus Montero.

All that is left for the Yankees to do right now is sign or trade for an outfielder.There is a good possibility that Johnny Damon will be in pinstripes next season.Hopefully Cashman gives him a 2 year contract worth 20 million dollars.I don't think that they should offer Matt Holliday or Jason Bay an expensive contract of more than 5 years since it probably won't allow them to spend a lot of money on free agents after the 2010 season.

Last edited:

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Another successful off season move by Brian Cashman.He gives the Braves a 4th outfeilder and some minor leaguers for a 4th starter.

I know that many Yankee fans think of game 7 of the 2004 ALCS whenever they hear Vazquez's name but people forget how he was an all-star the first half of that season,wasn't physically 100 percent in the second half for the Yankees, averages 200 innings a season and finished in the top 5 in the race for the 2009 NL Cy Young award.

The Yankees were the winners in this trade.As much as Melky was a valuable piece for the Yankees throughout their 2009 World Series run he wasn't going to develop into anything more than a reserved outfielder.Brian Cashman deserves a lot of credit for acquiring Vazquez, Granderson, and Nick Johnson without having to give up Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Jesus Montero.

All that is left for the Yankees to do right now is sign or trade for an outfielder.There is a good possibility that Johnny Damon will be in pinstripes next season.Hopefully Cashman gives him a 2 year contract worth 20 million dollars.I don't think that they should offer Matt Holliday or Jason Bay an expensive contract of more than 5 years since it probably won't allow them to spend a lot of money on free agents after the 2010 season.
All extremely very good points, However The only complaint I have is Cashman had a chance to get Johan from the twins a couple years ago and balked at the thought of trading melky, Kennedy and Hughes, 2 of the 3 are now gone.. We could have a staff of CC, Johan, and Burnett... One of the many reasons why I dont like the Vazquez move.... We shall see though... He had a great year last year....

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I like the trade because we add more depth to the rotation, but...we got rid of melky!!! he's a fan favorite!!!

Hopefully vazquez gives us 15-plus wins next season.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I like this trade. Actually, Atlanta got killed in this trade. I honestly think they could have gotten a lot more then Melky and 2 prospects.

I do like Melky, everyone did, but when it came down to it, he's nothing more than a 4th fielder then gives you >20 home runs. His on base percentage was actually one of the worst among full time fielders last season.

If Vasquez wins at least 12 games then this will be a great trade.

CC
AJ
Andy
Vasquez
Joba or Phil

A very solid rotation. Its pretty much us and Boston (Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Buchholtz, DiceK), then everyone else.

johnstarky

Rotation player
All extremely very good points, However The only complaint I have is Cashman had a chance to get Johan from the twins a couple years ago and balked at the thought of trading melky, Kennedy and Hughes, 2 of the 3 are now gone.. We could have a staff of CC, Johan, and Burnett... One of the many reasons why I dont like the Vazquez move.... We shall see though... He had a great year last year....

There is no way that Brian Cashman and the Yankees would ever commit long term contracts to 3 starting pitchers.If that were the case then they would of signed John Lackey this offseason instead of trading for Javier Vazquez.So the likes of Sabathia, Santana and Burnett being on the Yankees was something that was improblable and never an option.Giving any pitcher a contract of 5 years or more is a risky thing to do.I couldn't imagine any baseball team signing 3 starting pitchers to those kind of contracts.

Brian Cashman did the smart thing when he didn't trade any of his players for Johan Santana.And I believe that the Twins were asking for Wang in that deal and Cashman decided to call it off because of it.Bill Smith and the Minnesota Twins basically got fleeced by the Mets since Carlos Gomez ended up becoming a bust for Minnesota and was traded away to the Brewers.

Nobody projected Ian Kennedy to make the disabled list two seasons in a row for the Yankees.Before the 2008 season there were many Yankee fans that were against Ian Kennedy being dealt to another team due to his 2007 stint with the Yankees and his high trade value at the time.The reason why Cashman ended up getting rid of him was because the Yankees were over stocked with starting pitchers and Cashman wanted to fill some needs instead of waste Kennedy's pitching career in the minor leagues.There was no chance that Kennedy was going to compete with Joba, Hughes,Aceves,Gaudin, and Mitre for a spot on the 25 man roster in 2010.

Melky Cabrera was and forever will be a 4th outfielder that will average 9 Homeruns/60 RBIs and a .270 batting average every season.That is why the Minnesota Twins were reluctant to take the package of him and Kennedy for Santana and that is why Brian Cashman was trying to trade him to another team for the longest.There were many Yankee fans that were sad to see him go but it's not like he is a player that will eventually develop into Bernie Williams.The Yankees basically gave up a reserved outfielder and a couple of minor league prospects for one of the National League's elite pitchers.

Javier Vazquez is more than just the pitcher that you saw in the second half of the 2004 season.He is a pitcher that can easily win 15 games for the Yankees and give them 200 innings, something that I doubt John Lackey, Dice-K Matsuzaka, and Tim Wakefield will do for the Red Sox next season.Sure, his ERA hasn't been amazing in the American League and sure he gave up some big home runs to Johnny Damon in the playoffs but he will make the Yankee starting rotation a lot better than what it was last season.He was the best option available for the Yankees after Halladay and Lackey were off the table and hopefully he will most likely not be pitching with a tired arm like he had done his first time around with the Yankees.I give Brian Cashman and the Yankees an A+ for this deal because of how they took Vazquez away from the Braves without giving them equal value in return.

th3realicon

Rotation player

Had Cash gone after Johan no way would the Yankees had gone after CC. He would have ended up in Anaheim or Dodgers. Cashman did the smartest move to wait one more season and get CC withought throwing away prospects. Melky and IPK got us Granderson and Valquez which was basically what we needed a solid outfielder and a good 4th starter. Here is made easier:

Had we traded for Johan:

Santana
Pettite
AJ
Joba
Fifth Starter (Most likely IPK)

CF: Melky

Signing CC as a free agent:

CC
AJ
Pettite
Vasquez
Hughes/Joba

CF: Granderson

End result is we still have Hughes and Joba that can develop into studs, and if not they are very valuable trading chips if you would need someone down the road (Hint Hint: Hanley Ramirez :smokin:)

Paul1355

All Star
Melky is a 4th outfielder with upside and he should break out this year or the next.

Vazquez has been a solid pitcher since leaving NY and was a pretty good pitcher in NY even though we all remember the HR he gave up.

This was a steal. After listening to enough talk radio i can agree that this was a steal. We gave up Dunn, a good prospect, but we have so many prospects that it does not matter and we needed more starters.

Great move by Cashman and he has really come out guns blazing since the 2008 year.