gt.png

MEM.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(23-24) -- (13-35)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG7:30 PM EST

Game Preview

The Memphis Grizzlies are on the verge of accomplishing something they haven't done in almost 13 months. All the Grizzlies have to do to get to .500 is defeat a New York Knicks squad headed toward an all-too-familiar destination.

The Grizzlies will look to reach the break-even mark Wednesday when they visit the Knicks in the second game of a back-to-back set for both teams.

Memphis (23-24) moved within a game of .500 -- and continued cementing itself as the favorite for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference -- by beating the visiting Denver Nuggets 104-96 on Tuesday.

The Knicks, meanwhile, frittered away a 13-point lead and fell to the host Charlotte Hornets, 97-92.

The Grizzlies registered their 10th win in 13 games this month. It's the first 10-win month for Memphis since the team went 11-6 in December 2016.

The Grizzlies will try to reach another, more pivotal milestone Wednesday. Memphis, which hasn't been this close to .500 since Oct. 27 (1-2), is aiming to get to .500 for the first time since it was 18-18 on Dec. 31, 2018.

First-year head coach Taylor Jenkins wasn't placing any extra emphasis on the Wednesday game for the Grizzlies, who opened January in a virtual tie for 11th place in the Western Conference but now hold a 2 1/2-game lead over the ninth-place San Antonio Spurs.

"To me, it's just a game, and to our guys, it's just a game," Jenkins said Tuesday night. "You never know what (Wednesday's) game is going to bring, but if we just keep focusing on our habits night in and night out, as I have said all along, more good things happen."

The Knicks' latest attempt to build some momentum fizzled Tuesday, when their late comeback bid fell short after Marcus Morris Sr.'s potential four-point play -- which would have narrowed the Hornets' lead to five points with 1:56 left -- was overturned by an offensive foul on Morris.

New York was looking to win back-to-back games for just the third time this season and the first time since a season-high, three-game winning streak from Dec. 26-Jan. 1.

"I disagreed with the call," Morris said afterward, "but that's just down the stretch. We should have given ourselves a better chance to win."

With the loss, the Knicks (13-35) fell into a tie with the Cleveland Cavaliers for 13th place in the Eastern Conference. Only the Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks have worse records than New York, which is likely headed for the lottery for the seventh consecutive season.

The Grizzlies are 4-2 in the second game of back-to-back sets but have won each of their past four back-ends. The Knicks are 1-5 in the second game of back-to-back sets, earning their only win by beating the Warriors 124-122 in overtime on Dec. 11.

mafra

Legend
?Memphis Grizzlies, a team who was good for years, tore it down quickly and now have Jaren Jackson Jr., Ja Morant, Brandon Clarke and a shot at the playoffs.?

tiger0330

Legend
Mentioned this Grizzly team as an up and coming one. They should be motivated at MSG to get to.500 and hold on to the 8th seed.I hope we get to see Ja explosive ability in transition and at the rim, a young Russ with a 3 or pt shot. He is special.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... The Game Knick fans been waiting see .. two young-core teams compete.
The (23-24) Memphis Grizz rotation are looking at this Game as a automatic win !!! WHY?

After last night game when Monk & Rozier drove threw the lanes to score at will .. what do you think the Grizz rookie Ja Morant, Brooks, and Clarke has plan for tonight game ???

tiger0330

Legend
DSJ first PG off the bench. I was asking why yesterday and I was buying Miller saying it was matchups and the back to back but Breen mentioned a more likely reason, they're showcasing DSJ for a trade. I said they need to trade him before he becomes unhappy with his role on the team.

tiger0330

Legend
What a bust DSJ is. 5 mins 3 pts 2 dimes 4 TOs and a tech. Can't shoot and a low IQ, can't think of a worse combination of qualities for a PG.

tiger0330

Legend
Mentioned this Grizzly team as an up and coming one. They should be motivated at MSG to get to.500 and hold on to the 8th seed.I hope we get to see Ja explosive ability in transition and at the rim, a young Russ with a 3 or pt shot. He is special.

They've been talking the kid up from the pre-game broadcast to now. Breen and Clyde can't stop talking about him, from his hands, to his creativity.

tiger0330

Legend
59-52 Griz at the half. Another loss and the Knicks are one step closer to becoming sellers at the trade deadline. Ellington is gone, we ain't getting squat for him except maybe a swap of some other teams bum or buying him out. DSJ, worth maybe a protected second in 2025. Morris not worth much because he's an expiring, no one is giving up a 1st for a guy that's been a role player his whole career for a 3 month rental.

Kiyaman

Legend
The young Grizz having a well rounded play-making rookie PG Morrant has been beating our butt all game .... 7 min remain in 3rd qtr. Knicks 59 - Grizz 79

tiger0330

Legend
22 pts down middle of the 3rd. Only thing to look forward to is the trade deadline and to see what the numb nuts do. Also, RJ coming back to resume his upward trend he began in JAN. Dotson another bright spot 16-28 on his last 3 Pt attempts

Broadway

All Star
Stuck at work not watching but would it be fair to say we look awful without RJ?

Just wondering looking at the box score?

tiger0330

Legend
Stuck at work not watching but would it be fair to say we look awful without RJ?

Just wondering looking at the box score?
We were losing plenty with him. Wally made me laugh saying the same thing about Payton, that if he had been available all season who knows what would have been.We're 2-5 last 7 when he's starting.

mafra

Legend
DSJ with a sensational dunk.... naturally refs call it off (shot clock violation). He?s actually playing well for once.

tiger0330

Legend
5 quick pts by DSJ after coming back in after Miller benched him for his tech. Good job by him in his showcase. Just occurred to me that maybe they got a deal for Frank and they're holding him out because of injury risk.

tiger0330

Legend
I used to think Knox was a superior athlete but he's only so so. If he ain't knocking down the 3, he's not worth much. He ain't a PF either.