home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Cleveland CavaliersNew York Knicks
John Henson - Left wrist surgery (OUT)Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)
JR Smith - Personal (NWT)DeAndre Jordan - Sprained left ankle (DOUBT)
Tristan Thompson - Left foot soreness (OUT)Mario Hezonja - Contused Left Leg (OUT)
--

Game Preview

The New York Knicks take their second winning streak of the season into Thursday night's game against the visiting Cleveland Cavaliers in a matchup of the Eastern Conference's two worst teams.

New York (13-48) is in last place in the conference, one game behind Cleveland. The Knicks are 1 1/2 games ahead of the Phoenix Suns, who have the NBA's worst record.

The league's three worst teams will hold a 14 percent chance at winning the draft lottery, with Duke star Zion Williamson projected to be the top overall pick. None of those three teams will pick lower than fifth.

While Williamson and an abundance of salary cap space is a topic for the future of the Knicks, the present has looked good in the past two games.

The Knicks ended a team-record 18-game home losing streak with a 130-118 win over San Antonio on Sunday and followed up by rallying from a 16-point deficit to dominate the fourth quarter in a 108-103 win over Orlando on Tuesday.

Those two performances give the Knicks a chance at their second three-game winning streak of the season. New York also won three straight in late November, beating Boston, New Orleans and Memphis.

On Tuesday, New York's reserves totaled 75 points, led by Emmanuel Mudiay and rookie Mitchell Robinson.

Mudiay scored 19 points and is averaging 17.7 points in three games since returning from a shoulder injury that cost him nearly a month.

Robinson totaled 17 points, 14 rebounds, six blocks, and three steals in 33 minutes. Robinson is averaging 10.9 points and 8.9 rebounds in his last 10 games. Coach David Fizdale said the second-round pick is being helped by the presence of DeAndre Jordan, who was obtained from Dallas on Jan. 31.

"I'm not putting a ceiling on him. If he believes it, I'm with him," Fizdale said of Robinson.

"He's showing that he's an elite shot-blocker. Obviously, I'm going to keep trying to grow him and build him up where he's going to play more and more minutes. But the sky's the limit for that kid.

"His impact on the game on the defensive end is special. I mean, the guy is blocking jumpers, he's guarding guards, he's now starting to talk -- that's a big part of DeAndre Jordan being here."

Jordan (sprained left ankle) might miss a third straight game Thursday.

Cleveland has won three of five games and is 5-6 in its past 11 games since dropping 18 of 19 from Dec. 19 to Jan. 25. After beating Phoenix and Memphis, the Cavaliers absorbed a 123-110 loss to Portland on Monday, when they trailed 71-48 at halftime before cutting the deficit to four points entering the fourth quarter.

"We showed a lot of heart in fighting back," Cleveland forward Kevin Love said. "Tough go. We were saying how it didn't feel like a double-digit loss. It just got away from us a little bit there at the end."

Cedi Osman scored 27 points while Kevin Love added 18 and 12 rebounds in 28 minutes while playing in his fifth game since returning from foot surgery.

Osman is averaging 19.6 points in his last nine games.

"I thought Cedi really played exceptional," Love said. "I told him he's free-flowing, either he's playing downhill, he has his shot, or he gets off the ball and gets it back -- that's really helping us."

Love, who remains limited to between 25 and 30 minutes per game, is averaging 16.8 points and nine rebounds since returning.

The Cavaliers won a pair of close games in the first two meetings this season -- both in Cleveland. The Cavs have won in each of their past nine visits to the Knicks, although those were all with LeBron James on the team.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

Tank battle tonight. If we win, there is a contingent of Knicks fans who are going to be pissed.

tiger0330

Legend
If we can beat the Magic you have to like our chances against the Cavs. This is a different squad than the THJ, Mario, Nits squad, Ellenson is a revelation with his offensive skill set, he's no MRob on the other end but when both are on the floor at the same time they'll complement each other. These guys are hungry and itching to prove something which can lead to a few surprises.

tiger0330

Legend
Not only does MRob have a natural ability to block shots he's got the ability to catch and dunk a ball because it seems anyone can throw him a lob and he'll dunk it. Mudiay throws 2 up and he hits FTs on one and hammers the other one down..

tiger0330

Legend
Breen mentioned what I posted about MRob being obtained as a 2nd round throwin in the Melo deal. The 2 guys that came with him are no longer here but the throw in may be a game changer for the Knicks.

tiger0330

Legend
No basket on Clarksons half court prayer that went in. Still in his hand when the shot clock expired. Knicks up 4 1st period.

Kiyaman

Legend
I missed the first half .. the stats say MitchRob only got 1 Block so far but been to the line and shooting 100% in the first half.
It starting to look like DSJ has been giving us a better scoring guard performance than we had in Timmy.

Kiyaman

Legend
It gonna be hard to lose game (TANK) vs mediocre teams having MitchRob & Ellenson receive above 20 minute of playing-time.
If we dont play the two (Rob & E) players in the 4th qtr. Cavs win !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks up a dozen end of 3 97-85. Knicks shooting 56% along with 22 assists. Lots of guys contributing like the last game.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Cavs are miissing to many shots on purpose the remainder 10 to 5 min in the game .. Cavs want this loss more than Fiz .. CTFU

tiger0330

Legend
106-100 Knicks 6 mins left so tank fans still can hope. Mudiay becomes the 7th Knick in double figures and Ellenson hits a 3 to extend the lead to 9 5:17 left.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ha Ha .. the Cavs have to take the lead now .. on the clear path foul LMAO
Great move Fiz .. putting BALL-HOG Knox in the game at crunchtime CTFU