2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
The Official Mike Woodson Appreciation Thread

I realize that there are a couple of Woody threads already. I also understand that it's still too early to evaluate his work as the Knicks head coach. Nonetheless some of you may agree that there are things Woodson already deserves props for. And that's why I would like to name several points that have changed dramatically since Woodson has been in charge.

- after D'Antoni resigned I finally feel we have a REAL coach. I don't know how about you, but I never really understood MDA, every time he was addressing the media I was trying to figure out what he was talking about. Woodson is very straight in that matter, he always makes clear what the problem is and how to solve it.

- locker room presence. We all know D'Antoni never wanted to clash with any of his players. He'd rather step aside than look for an argument. Woodson is way different, he demands things and "makes damn sure" his players are doing what they are supposed to. He doesn't mind clashing with anyone, doesn't matter it's a $450K bench warmer or $20M superstar.

- Woodson is a complete coach. D'Antoni was rather one dimensional while Woody, despite being a defense first coach, also takes care of the other end of the court.

- equality, how many times did we see D'Antoni screaming at Douglas and making excuses for our stars? Woodson doesn't care about how much money you make or what is your celebrity status, if you're not giving enough effort you can be damn sure Woody will jump all over you.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiger0330

Legend
Someone needs to start another "The Official Mike D'Antoni Appreciation Thread" and thank him for GTFO New York. I was wondering what the team was missing, whether it was chemistry the wrong guys starting or whatever and it turns out it was D'Antoni himself.

Red

TYPE-A
Finally, we have a chance to see our squad live up to their potential.

Our core players are no longer neutered as a conseqence of an unprooven system.

Thanks Woody.

Good teams have talent. Great teams have consistency. This along with leadership are our biggest obstacles, and so far so good.

Woody and the Knicks have achieved something not done by a coach replaced mid-season by winning by a combined 90 points. Our win streak, team stats, and the oppositions reaction (see Toronto Raptors head coach's comments) substantiate those of us opinions who supected MDA as the biggest weak-link on this team.

We told you so.

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
How Wonderful.....

How wonderful it is to see a coach calling timeouts instead of letting the players just play.

How wonderful to see the coach making timely substitutions!

How wonderful it is to see our coach put shump on the most dangerous player to lock him down. (Shump Island)

You get the idea what else is wonderful?

:gony::gony::gony::gony::gony:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Dark Wood is already feeling the inner beast of this team as the playoffs near.

They have a legitimate shot to win the title. When the playoffs come around, it?s open season. Who?s playing the hardest, the best ? who believes that they can really get it done.

Homecourt and all that goes out the door. It?s great to have homecourt, but hey, we (2004 Pistons) didn?t have it in the Eastern Conference Final that year, and we ended up beating the Pacers. We didn?t have it in the Finals that year, and we beat the Lakers ?and if these guys are honest with themselves, and hold each other accountable, their credibility is rollin? high, man, anything can happen in a playoff series. Anything.

knicks44-45-12.jpg

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/four_games_into_his_regime_mike_woodson_thinks_the_knicks_could_win_a_nba_title_this_year/10367527

quote from coach Collins after their lost to the Knicks

"Miami and Chicago doesn't want to see New York at 7 or 8, I can guarantee that, They're loaded. They just cracked Indiana twice, and Indiana is a good team". - Collins, Philly76's

lmao, oh yeah...here we go.:gony:

knicksin60

Starter
But D'antoni is still the better coach because he took a team to the conference finals while Woodson couldn't take a team past the second round.

fender0577

Rotation player
How wonderful it is to see a coach calling timeouts instead of letting the players just play.

How wonderful to see the coach making timely substitutions!

How wonderful it is to see our coach put shump on the most dangerous player to lock him down. (Shump Island)

You get the idea what else is wonderful?

:gony::gony::gony::gony::gony:
That pretty much summed it up, :thumbsup:.Thank you woody.

nyk_nyk

All Star
But D'antoni is still the better coach because he took a team to the conference finals while Woodson couldn't take a team past the second round.

Not really. He was probably a better coach for those group of guys. Coaching should extend past a particular group of players to substantiate worth.

For instance, Spoelstra made it to the finals last year but I'm sure most people will feel Thibs is a better coach. Understand? It's not just about how far you've been in the playoffs.

Different teams, defferent results. With that said. Mike D'Ant had this team and couldn't lead them. Mike Woodson has it now and is doing a much better job.

so yes...Mike 2.0 is an upgrade and I'm sure he will get impressive results out of this team during the playoffs.

iSaYughh

Starter
Different teams, defferent results. With that said. Mike D'Ant had this team and couldn't lead them. Mike Woodson has it now and is doing a much better job.

so yes...Mike 2.0 is an upgrade and I'm sure he will get impressive results out of this team during the playoffs.

Agreed.

Except for the last part.

I think we need to (and will) replace Woodson ASAP. But if you want to chalk up the ratcheted up intensity and effort (aka: that which should be normal) to Woodson, which isn't unfair, he should indeed get major props for that.

But I don't see him as a long-term solution for us. Unless we beast in the playoffs, and Jackson and Sloan and Calipari spurn us, I don't think he'll be here long-term either.

Agreed.

I think we need to (and will) replace Woodson ASAP. But if you want to chalk up the ratcheted up intensity and effort (aka: that which should be normal) to Woodson, which isn't unfair, he should indeed get major props for that.

But I don't see him as a long-term solution for us. Unless we beast in the playoffs, and Jackson and Sloan and Calipari spurn us, I don't think he'll be here long-term either.

Defense wins Chips. We have the talent to excel on both ends of the court. Woodson's strenghts will be on display in the playoffs if you do not see them by now. The players respect him and they have no problem following his lead. We will go deep if we continue to play the way we are playing now. I think Mike 2.0 will break his foot off in somone's ass b4 he gets fired or steps down.

Red

TYPE-A
Agreed.

Unfortnately, you and other uninformed people clammored to keep D'Antoni for years as you produced excuse after excuse. His leash was waaaaaaay too long.

This post (as with MANY others) makes you look like a hypocrite in addition to being uninformed. I believe you didn't even watch the very games you commented and debated about (because of the Time Warner dispute). That equals fail.

The fact that you have chosen to document your position which includes doubt and making yet another coaching change, without providing a valid reason as you attempted to do so with D'Antoni, equates to blatant hate.

Additionally considering that at this point (when you wrote this) we were undefeated under our new better coach can only be regarded as an epic fail where your credibility has plummeted into the abyss.

Just delete your account. You are a hypocritical hater who dosen't deserve to witness our transformation. I bet deep down inside you want us to fail. Either give Woody the same benefit of the doubt as you did with Italian league Star D'Antoni or beat it.

Pathetic, blatant, and apparent.

Last edited:

platnumn

Benchwarmer
I'm as surprised as the next person of the Knicks passion and energy in these past 5 games. I thought we were toast, done, goodnight.

While I am loving the way things are going, I think we owe it to ourselves to hold off on any excessive jubilation so as to allow this thing to come full circle. We have had gritty road wins, double digit wins, superstars playing defense, and a point guard growing before our eyes.

Really hard not to be so proud of our guys right now, and I think they deserve all the credit in the world. I just pray, pray, pray, that they can keep up this energy and intensity.... or else I may be destroyed lol.

:gony:

I'm as surprised as the next person of the Knicks passion and energy in these past 5 games. I thought we were toast, done, goodnight.

While I am loving the way things are going, I think we owe it to ourselves to hold off on any excessive jubilation so as to allow this thing to come full circle. We have had gritty road wins, double digit wins, superstars playing defense, and a point guard growing before our eyes.

Really hard not to be so proud of our guys right now, and I think they deserve all the credit in the world. I just pray, pray, pray, that they can keep up this energy and intensity.... or else I may be destroyed lol.

:gony:

If we do keep up this intensity on defense we're heading for big things. Just like it should be. This team has to much talent to be below .500...

iSaYughh

Starter
Unfortnately, you and other uninformed people clammored to keep D'Antoni for years as you produced excuse after excuse. His leash was waaaaaaay too long.

This post (as with MANY others) makes you look like a hypocrite in addition to being uninformed. I believe you didn't even watch the very games you commented and debated about (because of the Time Warner dispute). That equals fail.

The fact that you have chosen to document your position which includes doubt and making yet another coaching change, without providing a valid reason as you attempted to do so with D'Antoni, equates to blatant hate.

Additionally considering that at this point (when you wrote this) we were undefeated under our new better coach can only be regarded as an epic fail where your credibility has plummeted into the abyss.

Just delete your account. You are a hypocritical hater who dosen't deserve to witness our transformation. I bet deep down inside you want us to fail. Either give Woody the same benefit of the doubt as you did with Italian league Star D'Antoni or beat it.

Pathetic, blatant, and apparent.

Crawl out of your hole, Ginger; people like myself have made it so people like you can get free samples of meds that can make you think good and talk pretty one day.

Also, unlike a societal rodent like you....when I don't have Time Warner for a few weeks....I.....go to a friends house or walk outside my apartment and pick one of 100 bars in a 1/2 mile radius showing the game :lol:

It's mad funny (and fairly pitiful) you still remember and cling on to a few posts I had a while back about not watching a game or two because of Time Warner. :rofl:

Nice try, though?

Now hop off my dick and get back on your fathers.

Save the basketball discussions for men and people with some brains. You can keep being a good cheerleader for your causes du jour. I will keep rooting for my team's success regardless of coach, and enjoying myself along the way.