Anthony Randolph's Undetermined NYK Role

Where would you have Randolph put in his minutes?

• Ahead of Gallo @ the 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7th, 8th or further back in the rotation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Mike D'Antoni Explains Anthony Randolph's Role with the Knicks
Monday, July 19, 2010
Posted By Eric Freeman 2:15 PM
For two seasons, Anthony Randolph has been more of a mad scientist's experiment than a basketball player. In his first Summer League, he burst onto the Vegas scene with a wildly versatile game with scoring, rebounding, passing, shotblocking, and virtually everything else you can do on the basketball court.

That included occasionally startling inconsistency along with the usual mistakes of on-court youth. Unfortunately for Randolph, he had the worst coach for a player with these issues. Don Nelson never seemed to know what to do with him and yanked his minutes around with no rhyme or reason. In short, Randolph didn't have the chance to grow into a role.

Thankfully for Randolph, he's no longer under the control of the nefarious Nelson. But there's still some question as to exactly how Mike D'Antoni will choose to use him in New York.
alg_knicks.jpg

Matt Moore of ProBasketballTalk spoke with D'Antoni over the weekend at Summer League, and it appears that the architect of Seven Seconds or Less intends to embrace the reality of his new player:
"He's a multi-position player that has a world of talent whose athleticism is off the charts. He's only played two years in the league and just turned 21. There's a lot of positives and we'll figure out where we fit him in, and figure out what the best position is for him, but he can play a lot of places."
In other words, Randolph's role will be that he has no fixed role. In the past, D'Antoni used Boris Diaw in a similar way to great effect with Phoenix, and it's easy to see Randolph doing much the same. When you have a player like Randolph, the best thing to do is to let him create his own position, not fit him into one of basketball's established roles.

It's often said that young players succeed when they know what is expected of them. But for Randolph, it makes little sense to give them a set of expectations when he is a confusing player even for the coaches who know him best. What he needs is regular playing time, not a prescribed role. Over time, Randolph's strengths will become clear, and his role will create itself. But he's a player who needs that kind of searching period where his mistakes will be tolerated and his game can find itself organically.

Nellie never gave him that chance with the Warriors. It appears that D'Antoni understands Randolph quite well, though.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Th...s?utm_source=bleacherreport.com#ixzz0uDqf4Hoz

mafra

Legend
Just imagine if Curry showed up and wanted to prove something (in other words, fight for one more contract).

Amar'e - Randolph - Curry would be basically unstoppable in the paint. HOw would you defend that?

BACK TO REALITY.... I think they will be times you play Amar'e & Stat together; there will be times when one is on the court and the other sits; and there will be the super-duper-go-big times when both are on the floor, with Turiaf, Gallo & Felton.

I think Randolph starts season on the bench. First guy to enter game, and our finisher. He may not start but will still play 33 minutes or so. Like Diaw, he'll guard PG through C. Roam baseline, freelance, and find his groove.

I think.... eventually (if all goes well), we'll start him with Felton, Galo, Amar'e and ? (Chandler or Azubuike).

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I see him playing the role of Jarred Jeffries from last year. But with a 100 times more talent, obviously. He was starting as a 4/5 with Lee. Remember, although the stats didn't show it, he was practically the MVP of the team last year. Until he was traded.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
AR looks shorter than turiaf in that picture, hasnt everyone been talking about how hes a 7 footer? doesnt look like it.

iJoe

Rotation player
He'll be the athletic version of Diaw back when he was on the suns. I see him at PF just being very active.

I don't really see him at C unless the other team is small. He'll get too tired and worn down from banging with the bigs. D Howard, Bogut, Gasol, and any true centers will destroy him in the post.

It'll be love hate at first. He'll be able to win games as well as lose games for us. We should temper our expectations as he's still so damn young. I expect him to be very very inconsistent.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
he's going to get his 30+ minutes thats for sure. where exactly i dunno, but thats the thing. he'll be used in multiple positions throughout the game. might get some time at the 3 with chandler at the 2 ( or gallo ) maybe a few minutes at the 4 with turiaf( or amar'e ) or sometime at the 5( amare at the 4 ) and thats what i like in a player, versatility. should be fun to watch him night in and night out

Oldtimer

Rotation player
AR and Turiaf

AR looks shorter than turiaf in that picture, hasnt everyone been talking about how hes a 7 footer? doesnt look like it.

If you assume that the backdrop on the wall behind the players is straight and then compare the heights against the lined images on the backdrop, it appears that AR is just a mite taller than Turiaf. But looking at the photo alone, Turiaf looks taller and almost twice as thick.

i really hope dantoni gives him 30+ minutes because this kids development really was trimmed from don nelson so he needs to bloom right away.this guy can be a 20 point 10 rebounds 3 assists 2 block guy,maybe even better,hope dantoni doesnt F this dude up.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
i have no problem with a.r. his upside is way worth the chance here.... we will see.... but me thinks he is the least of our worries.....

Dirk

Benchwarmer
If you slapped long hair on Randolph he'd look like Alicia keys, or Mrs. huxtabille from The Cosby show. And Turiaf looks like a beast. Wow. Mr.T

If you assume that the backdrop on the wall behind the players is straight and then compare the heights against the lined images on the backdrop, it appears that AR is just a mite taller than Turiaf. But looking at the photo alone, Turiaf looks taller and almost twice as thick.

dont know how familiar you are with turiaf but he is twice as thick as most players in this league. dude is a beast in the paint, cant wait to watch this guy frustrate the likes of howard, and bosh.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The Center Position

dont know how familiar you are with turiaf but he is twice as thick as most players in this league. dude is a beast in the paint, cant wait to watch this guy frustrate the likes of howard, and bosh.

We are going to have some options at center. We will have great size and strength with Turiaf and Mosgov and great quickness, explosiveness and athleticism with Amare and Randolph. For the first time in a long time we will have reasonable match ups in the post no matter what the opposing team throws at us.

I am assuming -- and hopeful -- that Donnie knew what he was doing with Mozgov and that we will have a keeper.

Last edited:

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
If I was D'antoni I would start him at the 5 with Amare at the 4. But because of match-up problems against scoring true centers he can't really be as effective as he can be at the 5. So when the Knicks are facing teams with a true center like Magics with Howard, we can then rearrange the line-up by putting Turiaf or Mosgov at the 5. So in my rotation Randolph will either start at the 5 or don't start at all against teams like Magics and come off the bench as 6th man.

If I was D'antoni I would start him at the 5 with Amare at the 4. But because of match-up problems against scoring true centers he can't really be as effective as he can be at the 5. So when the Knicks are facing teams with a true center like Magics with Howard, we can then rearrange the line-up by putting Turiaf or Mosgov at the 5. So in my rotation Randolph will either start at the 5 or don't start at all against teams like Magics and come off the bench as 6th man.

thats the most logical scenario by far is to start him when there are mismatches at the 5(slow,un-athletic,weak centers) then against the boguts,howards,bynums you can put him anywhere from the 2-4.the knicks can use this guy as a very annoying player.also the 2 can be nice if we run a lineup with.now i know sg is a bit dumb but this guy really is that versatile.almost close to a magic johnson.we can run a fastbreak lineup with felton,douglas,buike,gallo,randolph etc etc so many possibilities its crazy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah I think if you started him at the 5 with a center of comparable or lesser height he'd dominate them.

Against the Bogut/Howard/etc., we can put Mozgov at the 5 cause I think his athleticism will help out loads in this league. Remember an exec said if he were in the 2010 draft he would've been a mid-first rounder

metrocard

Legend
Randolph is basically 7 feet and 230 lbs...thats Tyson Chandler status, big enough to play center, especially next to a beefy 6"10 250 lb Amare Stoudimire.