Who Do You Want In The 2012 Draft

CA7

Scoring Champ
I know the lockout is still on but its never too early to think about our future. Anyway I'm pretty sure we'll get a 1st Rounder this draft even though we dont have one. Anyway when I look at our core and some of the Juniors and Seniors in the NCAA, BTW I only want to draft Juniors and Seniors at this point in our organization, look at Landry Fields, this vets know the game and how to play. I mean if its a cant miss Soph or Frosh then yeah but other than that I'm looking for well-rounded Juniors and Seniors, anyway

The 2 guys I want are Ashton Gibbs and Kris Joseph

Gibbs- can be our new Toney Douglas, but a way better shooter, he can defend 1's while playing off the ball with Shumpert handling the rock and defending 2's, he can be a great spot up shooter for us and can average at least 9 in our system.

Joseph- He's the versatile Wilson Chandler type we like, he can play 3/4 and can replace Shawne Williams who I think will ask for too much and with the new CBA we need to stock draft picks and build some chemistry.

We will most likely sign Chris Paul in 2012

Then I want to trade for Ante Tomic, rights owned by Utah, I think we can trade a 1st and 3mil cash for him as they have their frontcourt of the future in Kanter and Favors along with Jefferson and Millsap locked up

Starting 5

Tomic
Stoudemire
Anthony
Fields
Paul

Key Reserves
Shumpert
Gibbs
Jordan
Joseph

Young, athletic, experienced(no one under 21), shooting, defense and they fit well together

finestrg

Rotation player
EXCELLENT post. You mention quite a few good names here, guys that would fit in well around our core. I agree with almost everything you said:

- I agree that we will eventually land CP3 in NY, as long as the new CBA doesn't drop the salary cap/revert to a hard cap/flex cap, which who the hell knows now, now that all collective bargaining has broken down. I still believe in my bones that this thing will eventually be resolved and we'll wind up having a partial season like in '99...The thing is CP3 angling his way to NY is the exact thing that the owners, specifically the small-market/hardline owners, are trying to prevent..So we'll see what happens..Maybe it won't be possible -- some of these owners might see to it.

- I like Ashton Gibbs too..I talked about him last year for us as a 2nd round pick before he decided to pull out of the draft and go back to school. He hasn't really shown much PG ability at Pitt but he can really shoot the ball, that's for sure. I actually could see him working in our backcourt next to Shumpert -- good call. I see what you're saying: on offense, let Shump handle it and direct which would allow Gibbs to play off the ball where he's comfortable and most dangerous looking for that jumpshot; and on defense, Shump takes on the other teams' best guard every night with Gibbs on the lesser offensive threat. No question that could work..When you think about it, Gibbs and Shumpert actually compliment each other very well. Interesting to see how Dixon uses Gibbs this year. Will he allow Gibbs to handle the ball and orchestrate more, esp. when little Travon Woodall isn't in the game, or just continue to use him off the ball? Allowing Gibbs to handle it more this year and show that he can at least play a little point might make all the difference where he gets drafted next summer or whether he even gets drafted at all. Gibbs actually had 7 assists the other night in Pitt's opener against Albany..I agree -- definitely a guy the Knicks should be keeping an eye on. I also agree that he could be a possible replacement for TD eventually, at better money..This is gonna be a big year for TD --- if TD doesn't show substantial progress, they might just let him walk and fill the void with a cheaper alternative..We'll see...Another guard I really like for us is ND's Ben Hansbrough. I can't believe we didn't take this guy with that NO pick we purchased. Much higher overall upside than Jorts Harrellson as an NBA player imo..I think he's just as skilled as Jimmer Fredette to be honest, only with better PG ability...It was Fredette's job to get up 20-25 shots a night for BYU minimum; Hansbrough's job was all-together different -- he was the PG and was expected to get guys involved more...He went undrafted and went to go play in Germany somewhere but you figure he's only a phone call away if we're ever interested..I know I would be...Here's another two names: Speaking of BYU, remember little Michael Loyd Jr.? Real nice player that transferred out of BYU when he decided he didn't like that type of lifestyle..About 6'1", cat quick, real PG skills and he can shoot 3s..Reminded me of Darren Collison. He's off the radar somewhere now in a junior college I believe but he could be an interesting name come draft time...And remember former Gator Nick Calathes?? What's the story with this guy? Do the Mavs still have his rights? I think he's playing in Greece..Maybe this is a deal we might be able to make -- how 'bout offering Cuban a future 2 and cash for this guy? Huge 6'6" legit PG who can handle, drive it, get guys involved and shoot the lights out..He's probably in the mix for Dallas with J-Kidd not getting any younger but you never know...Yet another couple of PGs that interest me for the Knicks -- Portland FA Patty Mills and last year's DL MVP (and Finals MVP/DL champion) Curtis Stinson. Mills is another smaller 6'-6-1" point similar to Collison and Stinson isn't flashy but he's really a rock-solid PG that has nothing left to prove in the DL and finally deserves a shot in the NBA. Stinson reminds me a lot of Gary Grant or a souped-up, better version of Anthony Carter..

- I like Kris Joseph too, another good call...I tell ya what, a guy I've been really thinking about for that Shawne Williams SF role off the bench behind Melo is former Arizona Wildcat Jamelle Horne..I think Horne was misused in college to be honest, or rather under-utilized to a fault. This guy has major talent and he just wasn't given enough responsibility. Plus athlete, and he's a lethal spot-up shooter, better than Shawne Williams in both areas imo. In fact, I like his whole game better than Williams actually..Horne should've been putting up many more shots a game the last couple of years than he was allowed to take under Sean Miller..I think Horne, in the right scenario, could be a much better player in the pros than he was in college. Don't get me wrong, I like Shawne Williams and would welcome him back with open arms, but the price has got to be right. So far I've heard all the right things from Williams about wanting to return to NY..That's great but we'll have to see what his agent will be looking for coming off the decent season last year. If it's too much, I'd turn my attention elsewhere quite frankly. I wouldn't overpay to keep Shawne Williams, not when there are guys like Jamelle Horne out there. ND senior Tim Abromaitis is another guy I like as a shooting forward off the bench. 6'8" with a pure stroke behind the arc...If this guy has a good year but goes undrafted, I immediately invite him to summer league next year if I'm Grunwald.

- I don't really know what to make of Jerome Jordan -- I'm not convinced he's our future 5. I know we have a few guys we can pencil in there at the moment with Turiaf, JJ and Harrellson, but I'd quitely keep looking around for additional alternatives..The guy a like a lot for us is Marcus Cousin. Currently on Houston's roster but I think they may cut him..This guy's solid with some real nice skills for a guy almost 7' 250+. Very effective in the D-League last year for the Austin Toros..I like him better than anything we have at the position at the moment..TREMENDOUS mid-range jumper for a big, can post a little (nice jump-hook over either shoulder), put it on the deck, rebounds real well and he can run the floor. Another guy that we might be able to add at good money provided Houston cuts him loose. Cousin would be a real nice complimentary piece in our frontcourt next to Amar'e & Melo.. Some other cheap alternatives we might want to look at are Dwayne Jones, Kyrylo Fesenko (good point about Utah's crowded frontcourt -- they probably don't bring this guy back), and believe it or not, Greg Oden, provided he's at least 80% or so and Portland gives up on him...I just don't know about throwing a ton of money at Ty Chandler or Nene..That may not be the right move, not if we can get similar production in the middle elsewhere for much cheaper..As far a centers in next summer's draft go, I like Gonzaga's Robert Sacre a lot. I think he's ready to assume a much bigger role this year for the Zags..Off to a nice start his first 2 games averaging near 20, 10 and 2 blks per. Really getting to the line so far and knocking his FTs down..This guy is a very skilled offensive player down low -- if he can show that he can hold his own on the glass and defensively this year with more minutes, I think he gets drafted.

- Tomic's an interesting name..I don't know much about him except for some clips I've seen. I like what I see though -- big, mobile, outside touch, real quick feet, very coordinated..I read on youtube someone calling him Pau Gasol lite..I definitely can see that. Looks like he needs to get a hell of a lot stronger and finish with more authority around the rim -- looks like he tends to execute some nice quick moves in the post only to finish soft, reminicent of Charles Smith. Looks like a nice talent though, no question. Interesting to see if he's really part of Utah's plans or if they make his rights available.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Yeah I would love to have a rotation of

Tomic
Stoudemire
Anthony
Fields
Paul

Shumpert
Joseph
Jordan
Gibbs

During the playoffs, that depth would be phenomenal, also adding Hansbrough as the 3rd PG would be great for depth and Cousin I heard is great and could be the #3 Center and probably play with Tomic and Jordan if we need size and are in foul trouble

Hansbrough
Cousin

As the #10 and #11 guys would be hella good for long road trips, I also want another low post banger for offense. Tomic, STAT and Cousin would be finesse guys, STAT will bang but he's better utilized moving around, Renardo Sidney will be a late 2nd Rounder maybe we can jump in and grab him in 2012 as well and play him behing STAT, I'm on board with Calathes also we need 1's and 2's who can handle the rock and he can also stretch the floor.

So having a 2012-2013 Team of

Tomic/Jordan/Cousin
Stoudemire/Sidney
Anthony/Joseph
Fields/Gibbs/Calathes
Paul/Shumpert/Hansbrough

Would be great for the present and future we'd have a few rooks but Anthony, Stoudemire and Paul would be the veteran leaders, Tomic and Fields are great 4th and 5th starters with pro experience, Joseph, Gibbs, Hansbrough and Calathes are all mature and have great complimentary games, Jordan is a work in progress but should be a defensive force for us, Cousin is a great #3 Center and Sidney while troubled will be a great piece behind STAT so we can rest STAT and save his knees for the playoffs

finestrg

Rotation player
Watched a couple of games last night:

Duke vs. Tennesse
Missouri vs. Notre Dame

Pound for pound, UConn might have the best, most well-rounded backcourt in the nation right now with Napier and Lamb (I haven't seen UConn yet this year with these two studs leading the attack -- can't wait) but I gotta say, I came away really impressed last night with Mizzou's two guards: Phil Pressey (one of former Milwaukee Buck Paul Pressey's two sons on that Missouri roster; the other is senior guard Matt Pressey) and Marcus Denmon. Phil Pressey in particular --- this kid only goes about 5'10" or so but he's gotta be one of the the best guards in the country right now under 6'. I love his game on both ends. On offense he shows he has good ability to orcestrate, shoot the ball and go get his own shot with some terrific blow-by speed that allows him to get to the rim whenever he wants (like Denmon, despite the lack of great size for his position, this guy continually attacks the rim w/o fear and is able to execute over bigger players with relative ease with his combo of strength, quickness and body control/ball protection)..GREAT defender too -- a real ballhawk with very quick hands and feet. Looks like one hell of a little competitor with great heart and a great motor... Definitely a guy I'll be keeping an eye on...I know it's early but if I were forced to choose, I think I might prefer to go to war with Mizzou's backcourt over Duke's much more hyped (over-hyped?) starting guard tandem right now. Seth Curry's pretty good but he's not really a PG showing a questionable handle and decision-making skills (doesn't look nearly as good as brother Steph across the board to me) and Austin Rivers (Doc's kid) plays the game with a lot of flash but I'm gonna need to see more and need to see him do it against better competition as their schedule moves along.

Notre Dame looked lost/overmatched for much of the game against Mizzou's much quicker team last night (they miss Ben Hansbrough in the worst way) but Tim Abromaitis continues to impress me...6'8" SF may not be the quickest player in the world but he's a TREMENDOUS spot-up shooter that can quietly do some other nice things as well -- rebound a little, play some defense (he's pretty strong and that strength allows him to play in the post on both ends, plus he's got nice length), he can put it on the floor and go get a better shot if need be showing nice patience and timing plus he can pass it and move very well w/o the ball too. Plays a very smart, under control game on both ends...Last night despite going 0-4 from 3, he managed 22 pts, all on good shots, never really forcing it (he had 17 in the 1st half --- and this was his first game back after missing ND's 1st 4 games this season due to some dumb suspension over redshirting his soph year after participating in 2 preseason exhibition games that season, apparently a no-no unless you're a freshman---Abro didn't miss a beat though; he looked in mid-season form to me).. Despite the lack of quickness/athletic ability (his biggest weakness as far as making the jump to the next level goes), I think the pluses far outweigh the minuses -- I think he could be an NBA player, just on that jumpshooting alone..

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Do we have a 2012 first or second round pick?

Its Gobble-Gobble Day, wish everybody a "Happy Family ThanksGiving".
The Lakers vs OKC game wouldve been nice to watch before the
10-0 Green Bay Packers hit the field on TurkeyDay.

My top-7 2012 draft-class candidates now is.....
Kentucky's Anthony Davis
UNC's Harrison Barnes
UConn's Jeremy Lamb
UConn's Andre Drummond
Kansas' Thomas Robinson
Ohio State's Jared Sullinger
Duke's Austin Rivers

The Knicks having player/coach/Leadership Chauncy Billups for a season
or two....had me charged-up when the Knicks selected SG-Shumpert in
the 2011 draft, then buying Big-Body Harrellson in the draft....two great
young addition to the Knicks roster which needed 3 young addition from
the 2011 draft-class (b/c Houston or Denver have our 2012 pick).
The Knicks were suppose to buy $$$ the Kings 60th pick (PG-Isiah Thomas).
Thats right! This young kid Isiah Thomas PG skills has been living up to the
1980's Isiah Thomas name. His talents can run circles around Rautins plus
his competiveness to challenge Shumpert each practice with Billups looking
on would improve both players performance to show NBA-Ready rookies to
backup Billups/TD/Fields in the guard-rotation throughout a season.
Rookie Isiah Thomas is not a sleeper...

RESPECT-Kiya
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

finestrg

Rotation player
Are you saying we plan on pursuing a small deal with Sac for this kid after the lockout's settled? Interesting -- I haven't heard that...You hear that somewhere recently or are you just speculating? Hey if it's true, why not...I'd get behind that move..I like the lil' fella..He's got heart, very good athletic ability albeit in a real small body (he's listed at 5'10" but he's smaller than that..maybe 5'8", 5'9"), he can score and he's a true PG..Plus he's a lefty and you don't always see a lefty coming so he's got that going for him as well..Kinda reminds me of Damon Stoudamire a little bit mixed with some of Nate Robinson's athleticism..I like it, as long as they don't give up too much here...If all it is is some cash, that's fine if they wanna go that route..If Sac demands more than that however, say a future 2 along with cash, I might pass and pursue Ben Hansbrough instead. If it were up to me, I'd buy Hansbrough out of his German contract and get this guy in Orange and Blue asap. I can't believe he didn't get drafted, honestly..I mean come on now --- Big East POY and he doesn't even get drafted? 5 out of the last 7 players selected in last summer's draft were foreign players that no one's ever heard of, save for Ater Majok who actually played for UConn a little bit (most would argue that Majok's nothing but a major project anyway)..You mean to tell me these guys have better overall talent & a better shot at making it in the NBA over Ben Hanbrough?!? Nonsense..He would've been a steal for the Knicks at 45 instead of Harrellson..Ahh, it's under the bridge now, but you figure they could still go after him at any time if they wanted to..I know I would. Hansbrough's a better player than Isaiah Thomas (and like I said, I like the little guy), MUCH better than Andy Rautins and just going out on a limb here for a sec, I actually think he's a better player than Jimmer Fredette. Hansbrough would be my guy if they're really looking to add another young PG on the cheap somewhere...D'Antoni would absolutely LOVE Ben Hansbrough. What coach wouldn't??

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I cant say PG-Ben Hansbrough talent is better/worst than young Isiah,
what I can say.... is the Knicks not pursuing either one of those young
pure PG to add with Shumpert & Jorts (3 cheap $$$ rookie contracts)...
was another half of a step forward move. We gave away to many future
draft picks to get Amare/Melo....we needed 3 solid draft picks from the 2011
draft class (PG/SG/Bigman center) to move one full step foward for the
future. Remember....we have 3 players taking up $50M of the salary-cap.
plus having no 2012 draft pick will have us depending on combo-guards
TD/Shumpert (under contract 2012-13 season) to run the point when
CP3 and Deron refuse to sign with the Knicks, and Billups refuse to resign.
Having no pure PG for Amare/Melo in the 2012-13 season....
would be considered moving 3 steps backwards....

Kentucky's Anthony Davis
UNC's Harrison Barnes
UConn's Jeremy Lamb
UConn's Andre Drummond
Kansas' Thomas Robinson
Ohio State's Jared Sullinger
Duke's Austin Rivers
Austin Rivers on the Knicks omg.... That guy is absolute beast, I got to start watching more of his Duke games. Next years draft is going to be crazy.