Screw the cap. Spend the money.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The Knicks have never been concerned about exceeding the salary cap. For the first time in years Knicks management has shown some financial restraint. I say NY is a balling town and it's time to spend some more money. NY should buy out Francis and Jerome James or if possible, package them in a trade. We should make Artest an offer (If he doesn't retire) and see what KG will do over the summer. At this point it doesn't make alot of sense for KG to stay in Minny, so the Knicks need to make a run for him.

My list of MUST Goes.
Q Richardson: Bad back and aint getting any younger
Jerome James: Dead weight
Steve Francis: Doesn't fit in.
Jamal Crawford: Good player, a bit inconsistent, great trade bate.
Nate Richardson: We don't need him. We've got plenty of guards.

These are enough players to trade out to bring in some talent that will fit in to the Knicks system. Your thoughts.....

Last edited:

Starks

Starter
Bad idea. If we want to be able to shop in the free agent market, then we need cap space. Thus the exact point of a salary cap. If this was baseball, then I'd agree- but there is a salary cap in basketball.

metrocard

Legend
Bad idea. If we want to be able to shop in the free agent market, then we need cap space. Thus the exact point of a salary cap. If this was baseball, then I'd agree- but there is a salary cap in basketball.

Exactly. Saying screw the cap is just a way for Isiah to keep his job longer.

But, the cap is going to bite us in the ass again if we continue to trade expiring contracts. We're already paying bad for it from the Dolan/Layden era. Isiah isn't helping it either.

But if Artest, Gasol or O'Neil come along, I'm down for a trade. Those guys are all stars and elite players. We don't have any of those right now. So I'm all for trades that progress the team or subtracting guys we don't know. I also approve trading for draft picks, I really like the 07/08/09 draft class. Alot of talent around there for our future.

paris401

Starter
The Knicks have never been concerned about exceeding the salary cap. For the first time in years Knicks management has shown some financial restraint. I say NY is a balling town and it's time to spend some more money. NY should buy out Francis and Jerome James or if possible, package them in a trade. We should make Artest an offer (If he doesn't retire) and see what KG will do over the summer. At this point it doesn't make alot of sense for KG to stay in Minny, so the Knicks need to make a run for him.

My list of MUST Goes.

These are enough players to trade out to bring in some talent that will fit in to the Knicks system. Your thoughts.....

yep the other gm's are going to take out shit and give us prime time players...

nobody is taking qr and his uninsurable back, but maybe with the opt. , he comes back and can ball again... when healthy (earlier this year), he played well

burger king james and the franchise... sux big time
jefferies.. see above
these 3 are untradeable, buy out the top two, does'nt solve our problem as they are still on the books for their salary

agree jamal is not the answer, and as to nate, he makes little against the cap, but maybe ringling bros will take him..

donchris

Exactly. Saying screw the cap is just a way for Isiah to keep his job longer.

But, the cap is going to bite us in the ass again if we continue to trade expiring contracts. We're already paying bad for it from the Dolan/Layden era. Isiah isn't helping it either.

But if Artest, Gasol or O'Neil come along, I'm down for a trade. Those guys are all stars and elite players. We don't have any of those right now. So I'm all for trades that progress the team or subtracting guys we don't know. I also approve trading for draft picks, I really like the 07/08/09 draft class. Alot of talent around there for our future.

I agree with you that we should not trade expiring contacts. I'm just saying that the Knicks make money so the cap really isn't as much of an issue as people think. NYC is a money generating city. We had the 2nd worse team in the league last year but still sold out the garden. The salary cap is immaterial in NYC. Look at the Mavs. They are well above the salary cap but they are winning. Winning is all that matters. No one is going to take our trash? May be, may be not. It all depends on how we package our players. We have players that people want. Lets see if we can bring in Garnett and Artest. So what if we are sitting at 80 or 90 million.

To be real we're talking some fantasy shit. It's a long shot to get Garnett but who ever gets him will have to trade a minimum of three players to equal his salary of 20+Mill. That 'could' be done by trading Francis and two more players that we don't want to trade. Players like David Lee, Channing Frye or Nate Robinson. The real deal is that NY will make a serious move over this summer or suck ass for the next three years. We will come close to the play offs, make the first round of the play offs and get knocked out each time. The cost of making a move is adding salary over time. So what!

Garnett makes 44 Million over the next two seasons.
Three player trade option: Francis, Frye, Robinson/ Rose, Jefferies, Robinson, draft pick.
Trade Crawford for Artest.
This process = above average eastern conference team.

Last edited:

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer

My list of MUST Goes.

i agree 110% that we need to go after KG. i really dont think we should give up crawford though. the chemistry between him and curry is enough of a reason. not to mention we need a player like crawford to take that clutch shot in close games. ur right hes very inconsistent and has pretty bad shot selection for the most part. but i think combining the chemistry of crawford/curry and marbury/garnett could definatly bring a ring to nyin the very near future. but the question is who do we give up for garnett?

id try something like frye, q-rich, francis, and a 1st round pick for garnett and justin reed. that would give us a pretty serious lineup of...
pg-marbury
sg-crawford
sf-lee
pf-garnett
c-curry

with theze players comin off the bench...
pg-collins
sg-robinson
sf-balkman/reed/rose
pf-jeffries/cato
c-morris/james
-----------------------------------------------
as far as who we should trade who we should keep and whos untouchable my list looks somethin like this...

our core players who we should by no means traded...
marbury
curry
crawford
lee
balkman

players we should keep but arent untouchable...
robinson
frye
collins
jeffries
morris

players who need to go...
q-rich (too injury prone)
francis
james
rose
-------------------------------------------

but next season things should be a lot better. with all the players coming off our cap our total salary is only $88,779,428

paris401

Starter
. The salary cap is immaterial in NYC. .

i beg to differ..if u are talking about $$$ is immaterial to the dolans, u are correct... BUT... all the owners in the nba work under a salary cap which is material.

being over the cap ties our hands... ofcourse maybe IT will find another 'gem 'like jefferies with our mid cap exception...

donchris

i beg to differ..if u are talking about $$$ is immaterial to the dolans, u are correct... BUT... all the owners in the nba work under a salary cap which is material.

being over the cap ties our hands... ofcourse maybe IT will find another 'gem 'like jefferies with our mid cap exception...

Here's why I say the salary cap is immaterial in NY. The Knicks franchise is a billion dollar business. The few million in luxury tax dollars is a drop in the billion dollar bucket for the Knicks. Dallas is a perfect example. They're spending just over $90 Million this year but they are winning and generating money so it doesn't really matter. The Knicks on the other hand are making improvements but losing and are paying players that aren't playing at all and aren't productive. That's the real issue not so much that we're over the cap. 80% of the league is over the cap. I believe in financial restraint, I'm just saying it's not all that important for us to get under the cap as it is for us to be some what close to it and remain a competitive revenue generating team.

Starks

Starter
Salary Cap 101:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#10

Lebron is a free agent in 2 years. He will demand mega cash.

If we put ourselves back into salary cap hell, we can only offer him chump change via mid level exception (see Jarred Jeffries)

Putting ourselves back to a gross amount over the salary cap is the delusional.

Case Closed.

donchris

Did you see that big ass house? Labron is going no where! Cavs will offer him what ever he wants. Now's the time for NY to make moves.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Yeah, Lebron's not going anywhere, isn't he from Ohio anyway? Knicks need to stop hoping a superstar is gonna fall into their lap. We need to make a trade this offseason that'll really make an impact, if not for Garnett, then for somebody like Caron Butler, Tayshaun Prince, or Josh Howard. We been stockpiling young talent for three years now, we need to turn some of that around into something that'll make us a contender again. Don't take on more cap, just make smart moves.....
I'm just not sure if I.T. is capable of making a good trade......

paris401

Starter
the young talent we have will not bring us a legit player... we need to also include some $$$ (salary), and nobody wants our shit...