Should we save our money for McGee?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Of course, we want to win now, so if we have a chance for Dalembert, we go for it, imo.

McGee though, that dude is huge. And when I say huge, I don't mention it because of his size, his presence defensively, his rebounding, and athleticism is intimidating WITH that size. Imagine him with STAT.

He's not gonna come at a max deal, unless he improves a ridiculous amount more, so we could still have Billups and Fields.

Nyknicks141

Benchwarmer
You also forgot to mention his age. He is pretty young at age 23 (maybe 22 correct me if im wrong) So he hasn't even hit his prime yet. He's got a lot of room for improvement. I say McGee would be perfect and he is pretty much what we are looking for.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
You also forgot to mention his age. He is pretty young at age 23 (maybe 22 correct me if im wrong) So he hasn't even hit his prime yet. He's got a lot of room for improvement. I say McGee would be perfect and he is pretty much what we are looking for.
Just checked, 23. I don't know how he is with injuries, but I don't remember him being injured, so, that would also be a plus.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Well look at that, we could have had him in the 2008 draft. He was 18th overall. Don't know how he was back then though.

Edit: He missed a bunch of games before last season (don't know the reason why), but last season he only didn't play three games.

Last edited:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Of course, we want to win now, so if we have a chance for Dalembert, we go for it, imo.

McGee though, that dude is huge. And when I say huge, I don't mention it because of his size, his presence defensively, his rebounding, and athleticism is intimidating WITH that size. Imagine him with STAT.

He's not gonna come at a max deal, unless he improves a ridiculous amount more, so we could still have Billups and Fields.

I'm not sure about this guy. Although he is ultra explosive on the offensive end, he seems to lack the ability to rebound as a 7'0" big (only averaged 8.0 boards last year). Problem is, if we get Javale, his game is too similar to STAT. Great athlete, great shotblocker, but seems to fall short on rebounding. We have to get a center who LOVES to rebound and defend.

Of course, Javale is young and he can be taught the things that he lack, but I dunno if he can knowing how skinny he is. Gimme them Oakley-type BIGS!

Last edited:

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
I'm not sure about this guy. Although he is ultra explosive on the offensive end, he seems to lack the ability to rebound as a 7'0" big (only averaged 8.0 boards last year). Problem is, if we get Javale, his game is too similar to STAT. Great athlete, great shotblocker, but seems to fall short on rebounding. We have to get a center who LOVES to rebound and defend.

Of course, Javale is young and he can be taught the things that he lack, but I dunno if he can knowing how skinny he is. Gimme them Oakle-type BIGS!

Do you see anything similar?

I really think you are downplaying his abilities at his age... 8 rbs a game + STAT's 8 rbs a game + Melo's 8-10 I think we're in pretty good shape. Just get 1 more vet big (Kurt) off the bench and we're set.

... at the same time I have a strong feeling The Wiz want to keep him and develop him next to Wall.

Last edited:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE

Do you see anything similar?

I really think you are downplaying his abilities at his age... 8 rbs a game + STAT's 8 rbs a game + Melo's 8-10 I think we're in pretty good shape. Just get 1 more vet big (Kurt) off the bench and we're set.

... at the same time I have a strong feeling The Wiz want to keep him and develop him next to Wall.

Wow, I didn't know he can block like that. But how is his post defense against other bigs? That's where most of the points come from in playoff time

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
No thanks.

He's big and young and athletic, but he's dumb as a rock. I can't see him ever being a good center on a playoff team.

STAT1

Starter
Much rather make a strong play for Bynum next summer if we're going to spend the big bucks on a C

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
no way. i would take mghee over bynum. bynum is breaking down every few weeks and is not athletic like this guy. face it thats where the game is headed guys like mghee who are 7 footers with ridiculous wingspans and can run like small forwards. although hes NOT YET a prototypical defensive center, he can definetly become one. one of the biggest things in the game is knowing and learning your responsibilities. a coach goes up to him and say hey dont even worry about scoring a point, we got melo we got stat we got billups. you just do what we need you to do and if pick nd roll alley oops come out of that, well then thats a bonus for us. but he could be our tyson chadler.....

all this might be a moot point since CP3 is the jewel in the free agent crown. and hes who i want us to get above all.:gony:

Much rather make a strong play for Bynum next summer if we're going to spend the big bucks on a C

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
The lakers aren't going to give up bynum..at least not if there's not another big in the picture....plus his salaries going to be retarded and would keep us from getting anyone else...I don't know how much McGeezer would cost but I'm assumin cheaper then bynum...kids 7 foot w potential to grab more bounds... I vote yes for McGeezer if we can .....plus KT sounds dangeroso ...yea that's spanish

STAT1

Starter
no way. i would take mghee over bynum. bynum is breaking down every few weeks and is not athletic like this guy. face it thats where the game is headed guys like mghee who are 7 footers with ridiculous wingspans and can run like small forwards. although hes NOT YET a prototypical defensive center, he can definetly become one. one of the biggest things in the game is knowing and learning your responsibilities. a coach goes up to him and say hey dont even worry about scoring a point, we got melo we got stat we got billups. you just do what we need you to do and if pick nd roll alley oops come out of that, well then thats a bonus for us. but he could be our tyson chadler.....

all this might be a moot point since CP3 is the jewel in the free agent crown. and hes who i want us to get above all.:gony:

You have a valid point about Bynum breaking down, but in terms of skill, Bynum is heads & shoulders above McGee in every facet of the game. I lived out in LA for a couple years & watched Bynum grow his game, & I've also lived down in DC Metro & watched a ton of Wizards games in the past 2 years as well. McGee is no doubt extremely athletic, but he's got a basketball IQ of -2 & his entire game is reliant upon his length & hops. What makes Bynum a championship calibre starting C is alot of the intangibles that McGee currently lacks. Now I'm not saying McGee will never develop the polish on his game that he needs but he's got a long ways to go before I'd rank him amongst the top C's in the NBA. IMO Bynum is already there.

STAT1

Starter
The lakers aren't going to give up bynum..at least not if there's not another big in the picture....plus his salaries going to be retarded and would keep us from getting anyone else...I don't know how much McGeezer would cost but I'm assumin cheaper then bynum...kids 7 foot w potential to grab more bounds... I vote yes for McGeezer if we can .....plus KT sounds dangeroso ...yea that's spanish

If a hard cap is enacted the Lakers might have no choice but to give up Bynum, they won't be able to afford him with Kobe, Gasol & everyone else's contracts guaranteed on the books. McGee will no doubt probably be cheaper than Bynum so he's a nice alternative option. Regardless, the Knicks won't even be looking at guys like Bynum or McGee until they make their run at the big names like CP3, Deron & Dwight.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
We have to remember Mcgee was sharing minutes & coming off the bench to replace Andray Blatche. So his numbers won't look as good. Mcgee is young enough to coach up & should be inexpensive. His ceiling is high & with the right coach he could potentially be an all-star. He addresses an immediate need for the team, an interior presence & someone who doesn't need offensive plays run for him to be effective.

STAT1

Starter
We have to remember Mcgee was sharing minutes & coming off the bench to replace Andray Blatche. So his numbers won't look as good. Mcgee is young enough to coach up & should be inexpensive. His ceiling is high & with the right coach he could potentially be an all-star. He addresses an immediate need for the team, an interior presence & someone who doesn't need offensive plays run for him to be effective.

He started 75 games last year. In general I agree with your assessments of his upside & his filling a need, but I think the Knicks will be looking to bigger names than him in 2012. He will likely be a 3rd or 4th fallback option.

Kiyaman

Legend
McGee would be the perfect center to start in the frontcourt alongside of
Amare & Melo.....McGee potential is very high at a young age, athletically
he will become strong partners with PG-Wall on the Wizards.
The Wizards hiring a veteran bigman coach for McGee/ Blatche/ and Lewis,
could change the entire outlook of the Wizards offense/defense halfcourt
setting game.
I didnt understand the Wizards 3 foolish 2011 draft picks....I actually thought
the Knicks were going to trade with the Wizards....Iman for Singleton and
34th pick on draft night (Wall & Iman), but then again every team slept on
PG-Isiah Thomas

To me, Mcgee equals D.League Sean Williams who have all the athletic
talent to be a great post-defender, but has been lacking the bigman-
coaching guidance (in the NBA) to fit into a teams chemistry where the
small things like boxing-out and making oponents change their shots would
equal alot of Knicks wins.