Amare's Knees:The truth about Microfracture!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look I have major reservations about Amare! I am not going to go into them right now....but to say the least I am not at all sold on the idea of him being our big catch.

Now while I am concerned about his previous knee injuries, I want you guys to know it is not at all as bleak as it may seem!

I have personally had this surgery in the past year and I don't have any where close to the resources that Amare has and I have bounced back from the procedure.

I have had 3 total major surgeries on my knee and with the right rehab you can function at about 90-95%

Now, I don't play professional basketball for a living tho! Which is why there is still some hesitation about him even tho I know the surgery is not the end all.

But my Orthopedic surgeon does all the operations on The DC United and previously when he lived in Chicago he worked a lot of the Bears and Cub players....point being he knows Sports related injuries in Pro Athletes first hand!

What he told me is that it is not the injury or even the surgery that is the killer, but rather the player trying to bounce back too quick is what ends a player's ability to play at a high level (he specifically used Gilbert Arenas as an example, but the same could be said for Allan Houston)

The truth in this could be found in Bill Walker, who was in college when he tore both ACLs and like me did not have the resources of Amare, but Bill rehabed them appropiatley and now he looks to be one of the key players in our core! He is probably the most explosive player we have!

My point to all this is....there is reason for concern with Amare (his lack of defense and rebounding) and I'm not saying we shouldnt be concerned about taking a player who has had previous injuries,our own mistake w/ Antonio McDyess and Elton Brand w/ Sixers are prime examples of the gamble you take w/ banged up players

But...Amare had played 82 regular season games and 16 playoff games this season at an average of 35 mins per game is encouraging (remember McDyess and Brand were fresh off an injury) even in a contract year a player can't fake not getting hurt! He's played 300 games since his injury with the majority of his missed games coming in one season from a freak injury!

So, if nothing else we can rest a little better about his injuries

:2cents:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Brilliantly put NNY. PC, elaborate, profound. Well done!

You're absolutely correct in every facet. The concerns are legit with Amar'e. There are those that get snakey - like DontForgetDerekHarper (who BTW predicted a 45-37 year out of the Knicks last season) that preach positivity in the most negative way possible.

You're straight forward and have a reliable base to refer to to back your story/claims.

I'm with you on the quasi "not too thrilled with Amar'e". If we come out of this with no LBJ, this was the Knicks worst signing since ZBo. I'm not stupid enough to stand by that quote until we've seen Amar'e play, but I dare say EVERY Mother****er on this thread will be saying: "Amar'e was a waste of cash" if LBJ doesn't sign.

ANYONE HERE PLAY POKER?

I see this signing as a 'stupid gamble with pocket sixes'.

I hope this made sense, I'm a bit wasted.

:gony:

Ok, first post here.
I tend to agree with you on the rehab. As someone with 2 acl replacements and a couple of scope surgeries, I think after that many games, he is as safe a bet as anyone. Its not like we are bringing in a Grant Hill type of injury.

As for the poker analogy, I dont think we had any choice. If we dont sign him, we honestly may get nobody. This gives us a quality big and some kind of bait for a huge signing besides the old "billionaire" pitch.

It was a shove with pocket 6's, but, we were down to 7 big blinds...

sickboy

Rookie
Ok, first post here.

It was a shove with pocket 6's, but, we were down to 7 big blinds...

agreed. amare is one of my favorite players in the entire league, so i'm stoked to bring him in, even with the question marks that revolve around him. if complemented properly, he'll earn his contract.
we've gotta climb out the cellar and we ain't gonna do that by sittin on our hands.

metrocard

Legend
Its common knowledge to fitness and sports professionals that 6-8 months of rehab is required. Alot of teams try to rush their players from injuries, when that can only make it worse, hinder progress and make rehab pointless.

Amare is the best big man in this free agent market.

mafra

Legend
Top 3 free agents (in order): Lebron-Wade-Amar'e.

WE GOT ONE! What's not to love?

We've improved our PF position. HEY, even if our best player was a PF, we've still improved the team by replacing Lee with Stat.

First of all, all too often Lee would differ to any vert in the locker room. He wasn't a true, strong-willed leader. Amar'e will make this HIS team if we fail to bring in another star. He will also accept that responsibility and relish that challenge. LEe was never ready to step up to the role of BEING THE MAN.

STAT is also playoff tested, and he will guide/mold this young squad in his image, and he will make the players better. He will demand it. Compel them to improve.

EVen if only slightly, STAT is a better defensive player. He'll at least alter/block shots.

And, finally, we have a go-to option late in the 4th when the game is on the line. Lee never was that type of player.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's still questionable for a long contract

Amare is a star player (not a superstar), when compared with David Lee durability Amare injury prone career sets him back a notch to make him very questionable for 70 games per season for the next 5 straight years.
u must consider the relationship between Amare & Damtoni has flared up a few times in Phoenix.

Bosh is a star player (not a superstar), when compared to David Lee overall complimentary team-player at improving his teammates performance as a bigman, Bosh past 3 seasons with his same teammates has set him back a notch behind David Lee.
Especially when u consider the relationship Bosh showed towards his new teammates J.O'Neal/Marion/Turk.

Although, Amare/ Bosh/and Boozer athletical power performance surpass David Lee by a mile, David Lee's natural ambidextrous passing skills/handle/rebounding/and shooting with either hands has set Lee's bball IQ as the hustling uptempo/halfcourt bigman that brings alot of small things with his performance.

When doing the math......it looks like teams that will miss out on signing Bosh/or Amare/or Boozer/and had to settle for signing David Lee wont be mad at all in the long run.
Especially, teams like OKC, Miami, Chicago, and Nets.