202683.png
202355.png

201584.png
204020.png

101127.png
201609.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksMiami Heat
Tim Hardaway Jr - Left foot injury (OUT)Rodney McGruder - Left Tibia Surgery (OUT)
-Okaro White - Left Foot Surgery (OUT)
-Justise Winslow - Left Knee Strain (OUT)
-Dion Waiters - Left Ankle Sprain (OUT)

Game Preview

MIAMI -- New York Knicks star Kristaps Porzingis is starting to wear down, and the Miami Heat will look to take advantage of that when the teams meet on Friday night at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Porzingis, a third-year pro, is a slightly-built 7-foot-3 "unicorn" -- so nicknamed for the incredible shooting, ball-handling and movement skills he possesses that seemingly do not compute for someone so tall.

He started this season looking like an MVP candidate, averaging 29.3 points and 8.3 rebounds in six October games.

But his scoring average has dwindled in every month since then, from 24.2 in November to 22.2 in December and 14.5 so far in two January games.

Not surprisingly, the Knicks (18-20) have lost six of their past seven games as opponents focus most of their energies on slowing down Porzingis, who is feeling the burden of superstardom.

"I'm so tired right now," Porzingis told the New York Post after the Knicks were beaten by the Washington Wizards 121-103 on Wednesday night. "I have one day to rest my legs and play better (against the Heat).

"We're in a tough stretch. The mental part doesn't help at all. When it's mentally tough, you don't have it in you."

Those are some honest -- but frankly damning -- quotes from Porzingis, who does not have a ton of talent around him in New York, especially with shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr. on the injured list due to a leg injury.

Porzingis scored 16 points against the Wizards, including just two points after halftime.

On Friday, Porzingis will face a 20-17 Heat team that is three games over .500 for the first time since April 2016.

"That's sobering," Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said when asked about his team's long journey to get to three-over.

The Heat got some big performances in Wednesday's 111-104 win over the Detroit Pistons, most notably 25 points and 13 rebounds from power forward Kelly Olynyk. The Heat also got 24 points and 13 assists from point guard Goran Dragic and 25 points and five assists from small forward Josh Richardson, who made 5 of 7 shots from 3-point range.

In addition, forward James Johnson returned from the injured list, providing 16 points in 24 minutes.

Despite not having played since Dec. 23, Johnson was sharp, making 6 of 8 from the floor and 3 of 4 on 3-pointers.

"(Johnson) started to say he was ready to come back a week ago," Spoelstra told The Miami Herald. "We wanted him to pass all the hurdles before we listened to him."

Even with Johnson back, the Heat still have three starter-caliber players out with injuries: shooting guard Dion Waiters, who has missed the past five games due to an ankle injury; small forward Justise Winslow, who has missed the past nine games due to a sprained knee; and Rodney McGruder, who has yet to play this season because of a left leg stress fracture.

Neither of those three players is expected to face the Knicks.

For New York, Hardaway is still considered at least one week away from making his return.

(ESPN/STATS)

KP currently 4th in ASG voting for Eastern Conference frontcourt players behind Ante, Lebron, and Embiid. Honestly, that ranking seems about right, but wondering if Sixers will force Embiid to call in injured if voted to ASG.

Don?t like Lance Thomas starting? Tough says Hornacek because Thomas is our best defensive player.

For a long time, we had Jared Jeffries and he was one of the best defensive players in the league, still seemed lame having to start him given his otherwise limited game. Thomas is like a slightly better offensive Jeffries but with worse defense and the inability to set great picks like Jeffries on the perimeter.

Lee and Kanter came to play. They have 17 of our first 19 points on 8 of 10 shooting. We trail 1 late in the 1st quarter.

I?ve decided that I like Baker. He?s got a broken face and he?s out there trying to break through screens like a madman.

Knicks trail by 1 at the end of the 1st quarter.

Neither team seems to have the offensive gameplan needed to deal with the other team?s high energy defense. Ugly, low scoring game so far.

We trail by 6 at the half. Offensive gameplan isn?t working Hornacek, make some adjustments at the half dude.

tiger0330

Legend
We trail by 6 at the half. Offensive gameplan isn?t working Hornacek, make some adjustments at the half dude.
Got to stop Tyler and Dragon. Tyler dropped over 20 in the 3rd qtr alone and then Dragon took over in the 4th in a game against Orlando. That loss had to hurt for the Magic after being up double digits in the game.

KP hasn't got it going after that mini controversy about being tired.

Broadway

All Star
Dolan has just arrived at the game to sit with Perry and Mills, if that means anything to anyone. I know I have an immediate thought on it but I'll wait to see what transpires

mafra

Legend
KP has 9 points and Ntilikina has 0 points after 3 quarters. Not pretty. Just another road game for NYK. Lee having the game of his life and the bench scoring some points.... Knicks down by 4. But who cares? This team isn?t going anywhere....

Beasley stretches the lead to 5 on the layup. Need our 2nd unit?s success to carry over to the starters here in the 4th.

Broadway

All Star
KP has 9 points and Ntilikina has 0 points after 3 quarters. Not pretty. Just another road game for NYK. Lee having the game of his life and the bench scoring some points.... Knicks down by 4. But who cares? This team isn’t going anywhere....

They got scared seeing Jimmy show up, they playing with a little fear factor now...lol. They took the lead can they hold on to it though?

tiger0330

Legend
I don't know if the word is out around the league but the MIA announcer said Frank is not a good FT shooter and his partner said he's not a good shooter period hitting 3 of his last 15 3s. The kid has a lot to learn.

Inexcusable. Ellington has shot 13 three-pointers tonight and we?ve twice lost track of him and left him wide open in the 4th quarter.