The Diet Thread

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I encourage diet to still be posted in the fitness thread, but most of that thread has exercise discussion, even the name of the thread makes you think about exercise. I'm creating this for mainly diet (I say mainly because other things such as exercise always could come into play).

I haven't drank soda since Monday. The two times I was at Shop Rite this week altogether I bought Smucker's Natural chunky peanut butter, honey whole wheat bread, a couple cans of tuna (one jalapeno tuna), whole wheat pasta (haven't eaten that yet, saving it for a day I have six meals. Is there particular kinds of sauce or whatever other topings to go with this?), baby carrots (going to put them in the juicer with garlic and drink it with breakfast every morning when I start doing so. Professional wrestler Bob Backlund credits a lot of his conditioning because of this drink. It's supposed to help prevent cancer as well. He looks young for somebody 63. He credits walking a lot too), red wine vinegar, lemon, walnuts, and tea. I got my mom to get wild salmon for dinner one day this week, ate it tonight. She told me the skin was easy to scrape off. Instead of scraping it off I peeled it off, I didn't think by skin I was gonna peel off the scales and everything LOL. That was disturbing. Is eating the skin ok? I thought she meant I couldn't eat it, but my dad did. Next time I will. It tasted ok. Would be better on a sandwich. I put some lemon and lime on it then ate them. We didn't know to cook it the best way, anyone know?

I've been mainly drinking orange juice, cold green tea, tea, and water. The orange juice and cold green tea have a bunch of sugar in it, is that ok? It's not a lot compared to soda.

I'm an ectomorph/hardgainer, so I've been trying to eat and drink a lot healthier, while still saving money for a car. Any tips?

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Smucker's Natural is a great choice, those pure ingredients you can't beat those.

As for sauces, I wouldn't be too sure where to go for that. Never used it for my food, most of my reasoning for food is for fuel, I've ignore my taste buds for a long time.

The salmon's fat is in a layer just under the skin, so after you cook it, the skin is going to be soaked with EFA's including omega-3's which are abundant in salmon.

This may be of some guidance about salmon in general at least :

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

You can give up the orange juice.

Get some almond milk, some whey protein and give yourself a serving after the work out.

Before the workout, try whey protein with powerrade zero. It enhances your performance and the results are great.

Heres something interesting to ponder: I read that our teeth and digestive systems are specifically designed for fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. I guess you gotta learn from the gorillas and chimpanzees who are 10 times as more flexible and stronger as the meat eaters of today's societies. Is Fruit, Veggies, nuts and seeds the way to eat? No meat, eggs, milk? I am not confirming my beliefs, merely just opening a discussion to mindful individuals.

I encourage diet to still be posted in the fitness thread, but most of that thread has exercise discussion, even the name of the thread makes you think about exercise. I'm creating this for mainly diet (I say mainly because other things such as exercise always could come into play).

I haven't drank soda since Monday. The two times I was at Shop Rite this week altogether I bought Smucker's Natural chunky peanut butter, honey whole wheat bread, a couple cans of tuna (one jalapeno tuna), whole wheat pasta (haven't eaten that yet, saving it for a day I have six meals. Is there particular kinds of sauce or whatever other topings to go with this?), baby carrots (going to put them in the juicer with garlic and drink it with breakfast every morning when I start doing so. Professional wrestler Bob Backlund credits a lot of his conditioning because of this drink. It's supposed to help prevent cancer as well. He looks young for somebody 63. He credits walking a lot too), red wine vinegar, lemon, walnuts, and tea. I got my mom to get wild salmon for dinner one day this week, ate it tonight. She told me the skin was easy to scrape off. Instead of scraping it off I peeled it off, I didn't think by skin I was gonna peel off the scales and everything LOL. That was disturbing. Is eating the skin ok? I thought she meant I couldn't eat it, but my dad did. Next time I will. It tasted ok. Would be better on a sandwich. I put some lemon and lime on it then ate them. We didn't know to cook it the best way, anyone know?

I've been mainly drinking orange juice, cold green tea, tea, and water. The orange juice and cold green tea have a bunch of sugar in it, is that ok? It's not a lot compared to soda.

I'm an ectomorph/hardgainer, so I've been trying to eat and drink a lot healthier, while still saving money for a car. Any tips?

orangeblobman

Rotation player
You just need to eat normal foods,

If you're saving for a car, some good foods for the buck would be:

eggs
milk
chicken
tuna
frozen veggies
frozen berries
some protein powder because per serving it's pretty cheap
meat
fish

things like this. nuts are good but too expensive if you're on a budget and to be honest they don't justify their weight per pound, though it would be good to spring for them once in a while because they're awesome. it's not that nuts aren't awesome it's just that they're more a luxury than anything

frozen fruits and veggies have same nutrients and vitamins as fresh ones and are a good alternative on a budget

eggs have a lot of fat and cholesterol which IS GOOD FOR YOU unlike most numbnuts will tell you, plus eggs pack a ton of protein

spring for red meat whenever possible, i've found that chuck for stewing comes in at around 3 to 4 dollars per pound but can be made very good with some skill on the cast iron it can be tender

if you can get a big jar of unrefined coconut oil and throw a big spoon of that in your morning coffee for more healthy fat

at the end of the day, if you're a "hardgainer" that means you're skinny, you just need to eat a lot and lift a lot of heavy ****.

in all honesty, hardgainers don't exist, a hardgainer is an average, normal person, like 99% of other people who are not genetic freaks.

finally, don't listen to what metrocard tells you about training or nutrition. metrocard obviously knows a lot about fitness and all that, it's just that he deals with more advanced people and his advice is horrible for someone that is just starting out.

good resources for you to continue studying:

starting strength, mark rippetoe; this is to learn proper form on the most important lifts, because without good form you might as well not be lifting and you have a good chance of injuring yourself.

beyond brawn, stuart mcrobert; this is basically the encyclopedia on weight training and it offers very conservative, down to earth, sane advice to trainees of all experience levels, and it's a book that is focused on "hardgainers"

dinosaur training, brooks kubik; this is a great motivational and informative book on lifting heavy ****, must read. kubik's style, understanding of the iron game and enthusiasm is refreshing

orangeblobman

Rotation player
you NEED to be lifting heavy weights in the compound lifts, the squat, the deadlift, the presses

you NEED to lift heavy ****

drink a lot of milk if you can drink milk, nothing will pack on pounds of muscle on your frame like a ton of milk and lifting heavy ****!!!!!

diet and fitness are not separate, they go together, and for "hardgainers" it is extra important to lift and eat!!! you can become STRONG LIKE A ****ING ANIMAL if you want to, and a lot faster than you probably think

orangeblobman

Rotation player
any investment you make into weight lifting and nutrition will always make itself worth 10 times what you put in.

get a cheaper car than what you plan for, always spring for as much good food as possible

metrocard

Legend
You don't need to lift heavy at all.
For what reason?
I don't think Running Jumper is trying to be in a strongman competition.
You don't compete in those competitions either...I don't know why you continue to push these beliefs down our throats...do you realize it's all you talk about?

I've been an ACSM Trainer for the last 5 years.
I've worked in hospitals, corporate gyms, physical therapy clinics, hotels, in collegiate programs and outdoors. I also run my own freelance business. This has been my life, I don't know everything but you can't tell me I don't know how to work with different populations when that's all I been doing. I worked with kids as a part time PE teacher and I worked with seniors who have tendonitis, quadriplegia and other chronic injuries.

As a trainer, I've met and worked with olympic athletes, powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongmen competitors, crossfit freaks, kettlebell gurus, yoga gurus, muy thai fighters, boxers on a professional and amateur level, and grapplers...I've learn a bit of something from all these professionals. But I don't favor anyone, and I especially don't favor strongmen competitions They have some of the dumbest training recommendations in the world...and their bodys look like a jiggypuff pokemon on steroids. It's not natural...humans aren't built for strength, but for flexibility and agility.

This is the diet thread by the way, you've been on a constant trolling rampage and you continue to shove this bull**** down our throats that no one is really listening to.

Stay on topic orangeblogman....we get the point you like big fat strong men.

Last edited:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIFT HEAVY AT ALL??
YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIFT HEAVY AT ALL??!?!?

That's craaaaaaaaaaazy to say man. Sorry dude. You need strength and power, the more the better of both. How flexible do you think those Olympic weight lifters are??

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Just because Strongman competition exists, doesn't mean that everyone who lifts weights wants to be a Strongman.

Weights are the EASIEST and QUICKEST way to get fit and SUPER STRONG!!!

Think about how cool it is to be able to lift heavy things in real life, like boxes or tables or heavy chairs?? Lifting your kids, lifting your wives, everyone can do this if they decide to strength train!!!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Thanks for the information, guys.

LOL orangeblobman. You're crazy, but I'll still look into some of your suggestions because I know some of it will be useful.

I was in Pathmark today looking for almond milk, found it in the organic section. It was soy and lactose free. Is that the one I should get? I heard soy isn't good for you, but I don't know if that's true and I don't know if it's more then just free of soy and whatever. I was gonna buy it, but decided to get whole milk since I didn't want to take the chance.

What's with a lot of sugar even in the organic section?

Still training people, metro?

KingCharles34

All Star
In my opinion fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds is the healthiest way to eat. Thats what I was taught by a college professor in a principles of health and wellness class i took a few years ago. This dude wouldnt go anywhere near red meat. He referred to soda as being "liquid candy." And he would often say "you are what you eat." If i could find my notebook from that class I'd have alotta interesting things to post here and I believe i still have it. I learned alotta very usefull stuff in that class and alotta what i learned stayed with me, something thats very rare for me. I have slowly but progressively changed my diet since taking that class 3 years ago. Haven't had any red meat in a real long time and im done with ham/pork. I only eat chicken and tunafish.

I completely agree with Metrocards about humans being built for flexibility and agility over strength. Id rather be built like Floyd Mayweather, one of the greatest and most compact athletes Ive ever seen then a bodybuilder. Thats what im going for, i wanna keep my handspeed. So much of what makes me an effective basketball player is my flexability, agility, and lateral movement. Three things I believe i would lose if i trained and ate for power.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
GUys who tell you you don't need to lift heavy and you aren't built for strength are guys that DON'T WANT TO WORK HARD BY LIFTING HEAVY THINGS, THEY WANT THE SHINY MACHINES SO WACK

IT'S HARD WORK TO LIFT HEAVY, IF YOU DON'TW ANNA DO IT TELL THE TRUTH

metrocard

Legend
YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIFT HEAVY AT ALL??
YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIFT HEAVY AT ALL??!?!?

That's craaaaaaaaaaazy to say man. Sorry dude. You need strength and power, the more the better of both. How flexible do you think those Olympic weight lifters are??

I got strength and power.
I'm 160 lbs.
Bench: 225
Squat: 410
Dead Lift: 390
Push ups: 60 X 10 sets
Pull ups: 25 X 6 sets

It's not the most important thing.
Cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, body composition, maxheart, VO2 max, flexibility and agility make such a difference in every day life...especially for me doing amateur boxer. That's why body builders suck at fight and more agile men kick ass like Marquez, Mayweather, Anderson Silva, and Cotto.

miguel-cotto1.jpg

Go buy a jumprope...your body fat is too high.

Just because Strongman competition exists, doesn't mean that everyone who lifts weights wants to be a Strongman.

Weights are the EASIEST and QUICKEST way to get fit and SUPER STRONG!!!

Think about how cool it is to be able to lift heavy things in real life, like boxes or tables or heavy chairs?? Lifting your kids, lifting your wives, everyone can do this if they decide to strength train!!!

You can lift kids, wives, boxes, dinosaurs without lifting heavy.

It's smarter to lift at 60% of your max...you maintain the gains without hurting yourself or teaching your muscles to fail.

Thanks for the information, guys.

LOL orangeblobman. You're crazy, but I'll still look into some of your suggestions because I know some of it will be useful.

I was in Pathmark today looking for almond milk, found it in the organic section. It was soy and lactose free. Is that the one I should get? I heard soy isn't good for you, but I don't know if that's true and I don't know if it's more then just free of soy and whatever. I was gonna buy it, but decided to get whole milk since I didn't want to take the chance.

What's with a lot of sugar even in the organic section?

Still training people, metro?

Almond Milk, magnesium, potassium or Vitamin E. These vitamins enhance your health and your progression...also makes you feel pretty good. It's like taking a drug.

You gotta watch out for those sugary foods, I mean some sugars are natural from the fruit so if you work out everyday it won't affect you my brother.

Yep, I'm still training people but I'm currently looking for a new gym. I gotta rebuild my career and cliental all over. Tough times...

In my opinion fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds is the healthiest way to eat. Thats what I was taught by a college professor in a principles of health and wellness class i took a few years ago. This dude wouldnt go anywhere near red meat. He referred to soda as being "liquid candy." And he would often say "you are what you eat." If i could find my notebook from that class I'd have alotta interesting things to post here and I believe i still have it. I learned alotta very usefull stuff in that class and alotta what i learned stayed with me, something thats very rare for me. I have slowly but progressively changed my diet since taking that class 3 years ago. Haven't had any red meat in a real long time and im done with ham/pork. I only eat chicken and tunafish.

I completely agree with Metrocards about humans being built for flexibility and agility over strength. Id rather be built like Floyd Mayweather, one of the greatest and most compact athletes Ive ever seen then a bodybuilder. Thats what im going for, i wanna keep my handspeed. So much of what makes me an effective basketball player is my flexability, agility, and lateral movement. Three things I believe i would lose if i trained and ate for power.

Love chicken and tuna...even though I ate steak last night.

metrocard

Legend
GUys who tell you you don't need to lift heavy and you aren't built for strength are guys that DON'T WANT TO WORK HARD BY LIFTING HEAVY THINGS, THEY WANT THE SHINY MACHINES SO WACK

IT'S HARD WORK TO LIFT HEAVY, IF YOU DON'TW ANNA DO IT TELL THE TRUTH

It's really not.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Almond Milk, magnesium, potassium or Vitamin E. These vitamins enhance your health and your progression...also makes you feel pretty good. It's like taking a drug.

You gotta watch out for those sugary foods, I mean some sugars are natural from the fruit so if you work out everyday it won't affect you my brother.

Yep, I'm still training people but I'm currently looking for a new gym. I gotta rebuild my career and cliental all over. Tough times...
Well if we can work something out let me know. It'd be a lot more convenient if I can find a trainer nearby, but who knows if I know who the real deal is knowledge wise and somebody to give me the proper training for me.

metrocard

Legend
Well if we can work something out let me know. It'd be a lot more convenient if I can find a trainer nearby, but who knows if I know who the real deal is knowledge wise and somebody to give me the proper training for me.

Alright, I'll pm you with details, where do you live again?

smokes

Huge Member
I've tried doing the 6 meals a day thing a couple of times and my body just won't take that much food lol...

Starting working out again a couple of weeks ago after hibernating for the winter.

Currently my meal plan goes something like

Breakfast - Fruit, Protein Shake

Lunch - Tuna Sandwiches

Afternoon - Protein Shake

Dinner - 200g Chicken, seasoned, fried in Canola Oil with boiled vegetables

Evening - Protein Shake

Some of our diet experts, is that gonna be enough to make some gains? I'm a skinny dude.

metrocard

Legend
I've tried doing the 6 meals a day thing a couple of times and my body just won't take that much food lol...

Starting working out again a couple of weeks ago after hibernating for the winter.

Lunch - Tuna Sandwiches

Evening - Protein Shake

Some of our diet experts, is that gonna be enough to make some gains? I'm a skinny dude.

I would add more calories to the breakfast. Snack on peanut butter.

orangeblobman

Rotation player

Lunch - Tuna Sandwiches

Evening - Protein Shake

It's a strong start, I don't know if it will be enough. Throw in a gallon of milk to that and you're talking.

Don't worry about meal frequency, just eat as much as you can whenever you can.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
It's a strong start, I don't know if it will be enough. Throw in a gallon of milk to that and you're talking.

Don't worry about meal frequency, just eat as much as you can whenever you can.

Smokes you can't ****ing gain the weight that you want without lifting heavy ****, and you're not lifting heavy **** unless you're squatting pressing and deadlifting.

End of story, man. Gotta go heavy or gtfo