We Now Need a Point Guard more than anything.

Who do think should start at POINT GUARD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

TYPE-A
WELCOME BACK...

Mike Bibby's agent, David Falk, confirmed that the former Miami Heat point guard and 13-year veteran will sign with the New York Knicks on a one-year deal at the veteran's minimum of $1.4 million.

"I've been trying for about six years to get him playing for (coach Mike) D'Antoni, but at the time this guy named (Steve) Nash was blocking us," Falk told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard. "I've always felt Mike would flourish in his offense."

Knicks Blog
Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

On Friday, at the Knicks' first day of training camp, D'Antoni said he was comfortable with starting Toney Douglas at point guard in place of the waived Chauncey Billups. But because of Douglas' subpar play at that position during the season, especially when the Knicks got swept by the Celtics in the first round of the 2011 playoffs, speculation was raised that the team was still in the hunt for a point guard.

Baron Davis was reported to be a prime free-agent target, but the Cavaliers still haven't decided whether or not they're going to use their amnesty clause on him. J.J. Barea was also in the mix. But with Bibby, who will arrive in New York late Saturday night, the Knicks land a player who has years of experience directing a team deep into the postseason, which he did with the Sacramento Kings, Atlanta Hawks and Heat.

With Mike Bibby signed, the 2011-2012 Knicks point guard stable (as of Dec. 11th) looks like this...

Mike Bibby: had an off season last year while with MIA, veteran who MOA trusts, has comparable career numbers (minus the Finals MVP and ring) with sullen Chauncey Billups. Can hit the three, signed for vet minimum.

TD (mean muggin'): is coming off a shoulder surgery (very hard to repair) is a tweener use to coming off the bench. Not necessarily a facilitator nor finisher at the basket. Needs improvement, although his defense can surprise some. Home-grown, if that means anything.

Iman Shumpert (IMAX): is by far the Knick's most athletic PG. Large for his position, a rookie, can guard multiple positions. Has been tuning up all summer, and working on his outside shot which is belived to be his weakness.

Prospects...

On the radar is...

JJ Barea: championship pedigree, small and fast. Knows how to finish at the rim, but use to being a scorer rather than a facilitator. Offered a 2 year deal to ponder. Will the notion of "increased demand due to better players" hold true?

Jamal Crawford: good size and handle. Can hit the open jumper and take his man off the dribble. Is familiar with the MOA system and assistant coach Woodson. Should be hungry and more mature in the short period of time he spent with ATL.

According to a report, the Knicks reached out to representatives for Jamal Crawford on Friday to inquire about his interest in signing with the team.

HoopsWorld.com reported that the Knicks would attempt to put together a sign-and-trade to land Crawford.

The report mentions Toney Douglas, Renaldo Balkman and Bill Walker in the potential sign-and-trade.

Crawford, a free agent, would likely have to take a significant pay cut to sign with the Knicks, who lost their mid-level exception in the Tyson Chandler transaction.

B Diddy: is expected to be amnestied by CLE and like Crawford should be hungry toward this stage of his career. Has handle to break his man down but questions of speed and defense. Can also get hot.

other guards on the roster:

Landry Fields: masqueraded as a SG but is a natural SF that played solid to start, then tailed off during the Knicks run to last years playoffs.:kinky:

Bill Walker: showed up during the playoffs. Can heat up from three, fits in the MOA system, and can play defense.

If we can agree that we're right there... very near... to competing for a championship...

have enough pieces to lock down...

and will be lead and have the offense ran through Melo,

then in the MOA spread P & R system, a master facilitator, and a surrounding of quality dead eye shooters is needed.

I conclude that either MOA feels Mike Bibby is that or that a package consisting of both or either Fields or Douglas must be shopped to bring in...

Last edited:

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
if Davis is in shape, I'd say yes. But there should be no discussion about Bill Walker or Jamal Crawford. And Iman Shumpert isn't a point guard, no matter what they tell you. He's a 2 and hopefully good at perimeter D.

Crawford is a string of bad long distance jumpers waiting to happen.

And JJ Barea's "championship pedigree"? -________- he played well in limited minutes during Dallas' title run. He's not a starter and if the Knicks try to make him one, I think it's a big mistake.

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
My dream situation would be for HE-man shumpert to develop into our starting PG. With a developed shot and passing game we would have 6-5 PG who can defend- um f*ck yes. However until that happens both Barea and Bibby are not sufficient enough to start, not to mention they are the height of a teenage girl. My only cocnern with Baron Davis is will he be a permanent solution at his age? One things for sure if B Diddy comes theres going to be some SICK Alley-oops!

la2ny

Starter
if Davis is in shape, I'd say yes. But there should be no discussion about Bill Walker or Jamal Crawford. And Iman Shumpert isn't a point guard, no matter what they tell you. He's a 2 and hopefully good at perimeter D.

And JJ Barea's "championship pedigree"? -________- he played well in limited minutes during Dallas' title run. He's not a starter and if the Knicks try to make him one, I think it's a big mistake.

Im kinda on the fence about JC because he did mature a bit down in ATL. I don't think they'll make him the starter. For one, he's too damn tiny.

KBlack25

Starter
I'd actually like Crawford, who I think is a good passer and suffered in NY because he had to be the #1 scorer. I think Crawford can move the ball well, but is adept enough at scoring to where a defense cannot sag on him. Barea would be great, but it's a longshot.

:agreed: Barea is nothing more than a scoring punch off the bench imo. Would I want him to sign with us? Yes absolutely! But I wouldn't want him as our starting PG.

Red

TYPE-A
:agreed: Barea is nothing more than a scoring punch off the bench imo. Would I want him to sign with us? Yes absolutely! But I wouldn't want him as our starting PG.

That was kind of tongue in cheek. He will expect to be paid coming off a championship.

And i don't think we would be getting him for the bench.

At the least you could say he's battle tested but if the offensive focus will be Melo then i'll go with

Crawford
Bibby
TD = B Diddy

Bibby will be passing 1st

and Crawford can hit the three and defend his position. TD isn't a starter imo.

Red

TYPE-A
Bye Toney... this is business.

Toney has a $2m team option next year I believe. Crawford can be a third scorer if needed.

11:19 AM, December 11, 2011 ι By MARC BERMAN
The Knicks and Hawks were in active discussions today on a three-team sign-and-trade deal that would bring combo Jamal Crawford back to the club, according to an NBA source.
One source said the trade has a better than fifty-fifty chance of happening.
The Warriors are the third team involved in the talks. But Crawford's agent, Andy Miller, told the Indianapolis Star that his client is still considering the Pacers.
Knicks guard Toney Douglas, a native of Atlanta, has been included in one scenario of the talks that began Saturday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knick...to_bring_X88nsR7szxSK1IbIoh87LN#ixzz1gFc0MZT6

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
this is a terrible idea. Jamal Crawford is NOT a point guard and takes TOO MANY SHOTS. I guess this means no more development of Landry Fields and goodbye Shumpert......

Red

TYPE-A
this is a terrible idea. Jamal Crawford is NOT a point guard and takes TOO MANY SHOTS. I guess this means no more development of Landry Fields and goodbye Shumpert......

More like Fields and Shump develop on the bench...

and goodbye Bill Walker, Reynaldo Balkman, and TD.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
TD = B Diddy

Bibby will be passing 1st

and Crawford can hit the three and defend his position. TD isn't a starter imo.

Davis and Douglas are not equal. Even in Davis' worse years, he's still a 6 or 7 assist a night player. That's enuff with Melo and Stat on the court. Douglas can't facilitate.

And to the 2nd bolded piece, Crawford is a terrible defender, wut are you talking about? With Melo, Stat taking so many shots, how can we possibly fit in Crawford, a career 41% shooter? smh

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The deal might allow us to be rid of Renaldo Balkman and his contract, though, so who knows.

I think Jamal Crawford isn't what this team needs. We already have scoring, we need DEFENSE. Crawford is a playmaker but man he does not play defense

If we are to sign Crawford he is going to be our 6th man. Fields and Bibby will start in the backcourt and Crawford will come in and spell either of them if they need a break. This doesn't mean anything for Iman. You have to let him develop naturally. Since him and J-Craw are both combo guards with differing games, they could be played together or seperately depending on what we need on the floor. This move would make our backcourt infinitely stronger based on depth.

KBlack25

Starter
Crawford took a lot of shots as a Knick, because he had to. His passing ability, however, is pretty underrated. I think Crawford can be a better facilitator at the 1 (which he played for us in spurts) than people are giving him credit for.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Crawford took a lot of shots as a Knick, because he had to. His passing ability, however, is pretty underrated. I think Crawford can be a better facilitator at the 1 (which he played for us in spurts) than people are giving him credit for.

3.9 assists per game for his career and a 41% shooter. I dont want him.

KBlack25

Starter
3.9 assists per game for his career and a 41% shooter. I dont want him.

Eddy Curry had his best season as a Knick catching slashes from Crawford - APG is not as important as APM - he was near 5 when he was getting starter minutes and those numbers reduced drastically when he came off the bench for Atlanta as a guy who was asked to score.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Eddy Curry had his best season as a Knick catching slashes from Crawford - APG is not as important as APM - he was near 5 when he was getting starter minutes and those numbers reduced drastically when he came off the bench for Atlanta as a guy who was asked to score.

now we're going way back to when we didnt win.......

Crawford is a bad idea, it's not just a numbers thing. Do you kno how often a bad shot leads to an easy basket for the opposing team? Crawford has nearly perfected it. It's bad enuff Melo is 47% inside the 3 pt line, we dont need Crawford out there dropping 40 one night and then 3, 6, 4, and 8 for the next 4 games.

KBlack25

Starter
now we're going way back to when we didnt win.......

Crawford is a bad idea, it's not just a numbers thing. Do you kno how often a bad shot leads to an easy basket for the opposing team? Crawford has nearly perfected it. It's bad enuff Melo is 47% inside the 3 pt line, we dont need Crawford out there dropping 40 one night and then 3, 6, 4, and 8 for the next 4 games.

But they aren't asking Crawford to drop 40, ever. They have plenty of scoring with Melo and Stat. Crawford was effective not being asked to score and being a third option as a Hawk.

47% inside the 3 point line for a SF is a great shooting percentage.