Q&A with Ty Lawson

JayJ44

Starter
Ty Lawson made the most of his decision to return for his junior season at North Carolina. He led the Tar Heels to the national championship and won the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation's top <nobr>college</nobr> point guard. He's convinced he's capable of reaching similar heights in the NBA, if those doing the selecting can see past his 5-11 frame and focus on what he can do with a basketball in his hands. Sporting News' Bill Eichenberger caught up with Lawson after a workout with the Knicks this week.
Q: How much do you think you raised your NBA stock with your play in the NCAA Tournament?
<table style="margin-left: 5px; clear: both; width: 9px; height: 18px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table> A: I think I raised it a lot. I showed that I can shoot the ball and run a team. Plus, we won a national championship. I will bring a winner's mentality to whatever team I go to.
Q: How much better a player are you today because of your decision a year ago not to declare early for the NBA draft and return to UNC for one more season?
A: I'm better overall everywhere. I raised my shooting percentage, didn't turn the ball over, scored more, got my teammates involved more, raised my assists, got better in every category. I did a lot to improve my <nobr>game</nobr> by coming back.
Q: How exciting would it be to play in Mike D'Antoni's system with the Knicks?
A: It would be real exciting. He's the type of coach I want to play for. He's energetic, loves to run and loves to win. It would be a great fit.
Q: Are there a couple of players in the NBA you are most looking forward to playing against?
A: Chris Paul and LeBron James. LeBron is a big man, dunks everything. He is the face of the league. And Chris Paul is the best point guard. I try to model my <nobr>game</nobr> after his.
Q: When you see how well some of the smaller guards such as Aaron Brooks have fared in the NBA, do you think the perception of guards who aren't 6-4 has changed a little bit?
A: Definitely. Aaron Brooks dominated in the playoffs. He did pretty much whatever he wanted to. The whole perception of little guards is getting a lot better, just how quick we are, how we get into the lane and get everyone involved.
Q: So you don't think size matters as much in the NBA as some people think it does?
A: I don't think so. You can make up for size with speed.
Q: Given the success you had in <nobr>college</nobr>, are you surprised when you look at some of these mock drafts and see that you are not listed as high as maybe you should be?
A: Everybody is saying I am injury prone, that I can't play with injuries. But a high ankle sprain takes six weeks to come back from, but (UNC) Coach (Roy Williams) wanted me to play in the (2008) NCAA Tournament, and I did. People also say I'm too short. I will just have to prove everybody wrong.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=559332

If we can't get Rubio, we should pick Lawson at 8th.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
If we can't get Rubio, we should pick Lawson at 8th.

I like Lawson but not at #8. He can be had later in the draft. Maybe if we trade down and get another pick this year or next or package #8 pick and Jefferies contract for a 15-20 pick and an expiring contract.

JayJ44

Starter
I like Lawson but not at #8. He can be had later in the draft. Maybe if we trade down and get another pick this year or next or package #8 pick and Jefferies contract for a 15-20 pick and an expiring contract.

Lawson is top 10 quality. He's just being projected lower because of his height (which is a non-issue) and the misconception that he's injury prone. There's no problem taking him with the 8th pick.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Lawson is top 10 quality. He's just being projected lower because of his height (which is a non-issue) and the misconception that he's injury prone. There's no problem taking him with the 8th pick.

You got me wrong. I'm not saying he is not top 10 quality(I do think he is.) All I'm saying he can be had later in the draft and we should take advantage of that if we looking to draft him.

JayJ44

Starter
True, if there was a trade available, that would be ideal. But I don't think he'll go as low as some of these sites say he will. I could see Milwaukee taking him at #10.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
True, if there was a trade available, that would be ideal. But I don't think he'll go as low as some of these sites say he will. I could see Milwaukee taking him at #10.

Like I said I think he will go 14-20 (later will be a shame.) And most of the teams picking up 14-20 will take #8 and jefferies to move up (that will give us lawson and an expiring.) We should take any advantage we can in this draft.
Other than that players that are better ranked in this draft will give us more leverage comes july 1st.