what do you think of that Post cartoon?

JayJ44

Starter
I think it's disgusting, for several reasons.

It's racist, calling Obama a chimp. Even if you don't like him, there's no reason to call him a chimp.

It also seems to suggest violence towards Obama, seeing as they just shot the chimp to death. Once again, no reason for that.

It's so random to bring up Obama/stimulus plan in this story, it just doesn't make sense. It just seems they're going out of their way to insult him. Whoever drew the cartoon obviously has some sort of personal vendetta against him.

quiggle

Starter
yeah but the guy insults everyone though

10042007.jpg

JayJ44

Starter
Well that's kinda funny. But it's not nearly as insulting. Rosie O'Donnell is fat, there's nothing to argue about there. The other one, they're just randomly calling him a chimp they just shot to death.

Last edited:

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Normally I don't like to side with the Rev. Als and Jesse Jacksons, but come on...out of all the animals in the world you had to compare Obama to animal associated with anti-African American slurs.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
There's a long history, in various different parts of the world, of Black people being called monkeys and apes. It's a way, as in the case of the word ******, to dehumanize Black people, to insist, in the mind of the racist, as well as in the mind of the impressionable, that Black people are somehow less than other people, or not even people (at all).

That being said, he's probably not calling Obama, who I don't believe wrote the bill, a monkey, here. Instead, he's probably saying that the bill is so bad that a chimp could have written it; and he's likely just playing off of the recent chimp story to make that point. However, he should have known how people would have looked at his cartoon. There's a history of Black people being called monkeys, and people associate Obama with the stimulus package... so there you go.

Maybe it was aimed at Obama, though. He might have planned to make it so that we could not really tell if he was, or wasn't, aiming this thing at Obama. The bottom line is that the post has to screen cartoons, just like they do stories, before printing them. If it provocative in another way, fine. If it might be considered racist, scrap it.

Knicks1stLady

Benchwarmer
I think it's disgusting, for several reasons.

It's racist, calling Obama a chimp. Even if you don't like him, there's no reason to call him a chimp.

It also seems to suggest violence towards Obama, seeing as they just shot the chimp to death. Once again, no reason for that.

It's so random to bring up Obama/stimulus plan in this story, it just doesn't make sense. It just seems they're going out of their way to insult him. Whoever drew the cartoon obviously has some sort of personal vendetta against him.

thats the same thing I said in class today. Glad to see somebody thinks the same way I do about this

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Sorry but that rosie cartoon has nothing to do with race... Id rather be called fat than a racial slur. That obama cartoon is a disgrace and it resembles everything wrong with this country.. I'm White, I voted for Obama. I like obama alot. I hate the fact that in every discussion I have about him the color of his skin always comes up... Who cares? Whats the difference? I wouldnt give a fat shit if he was purple with pink spots on his body, If the guy can get the job done thats all that matters. The guy who made the cartoon should get an editor and realize that Jabs at race aren't funny. They are very hurtful... Should be fired? Maybe... I dont care, He should be more careful next time thats for damn sure..