Are season tickets a good investment?

I'm considering splitting season tickets with a group of people. Hoping to get 2 or 4 seats for every game for about $100 ticket. I figure we can hopefully sell off enough games at a premium and playoff tickets to at least break even and get to enjoy a lot of games for free.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Yeah, Definitely a great idea. I'm doing it this season and I already almost broke even. Plus now with Melo in town, I should be rackin it $$$. haha

NY_Swagger

Benchwarmer
I'm considering splitting season tickets with a group of people. Hoping to get 2 or 4 seats for every game for about $100 ticket. I figure we can hopefully sell off enough games at a premium and playoff tickets to at least break even and get to enjoy a lot of games for free.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

This is my six season with season tickets. This is the first year that im about to break even while enjoying free games. It took some time but my dedication is paying off now. With that said it is worth it especially with perks like playoff rights and Knick events.

Is 75 dollars a seat enough to get decent tickets that have good resale value?

Any sort of other fees you have to pay - like seat license, etc? Do you get a discount from buying in bulk?

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, the 400 seat section are now $150. per.
Thanks to Melo.
That's a big raise from being $6. dollar seats when I was in H.S. in the mid 1970's. For those who could afford season tickets this season got a great deal in a short term stock investment.
:thumbsup: sell one games ticket and the next game is FREE.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yea I just sold a bunch of tix in the 133 area: Cavs twice, Nets, and Bucks (in march...I'll be there tonight) all went for $95+. And I saw seats in my section going for $400 for the Lakers game.

And those seats were $87 per (two seats) in the package. Came out to a little over 7 grand, and i think the box office price is $120 so there is a definite discount when you buy in bulk (season tix obviously) so you might be alright at $75 per (if that's the price in the season tix package.)

I haven't been selling my tix this season tho, I only missed 2 game so far. Next year I might try to make a little $. But if you sell your tix thru Ticket Exchange, they can automatically apply whatever amount you made to your balance, or I guess to your package next season if you renew.

is anyone else looking to get season tickets next year? i just put down a deposit to get on the waiting list. what are the odds that seats will still be available? how long do you think this waiting list is?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
yea how much do season tickets go for dont care if their 400 level; i'd consider purchasing with friends would be great and could make myself some $$

i spoke to a rep at MSG. He told me that season ticket prices are definitely going up next season. The upper bowl seats would be in the $5-10k range.

To get on the waiting list, I would have to put down a deposit of $250/seat. But to get onto the "VIP" waiting list, I would have to subscribe to the Knicks + 1 other team, the cheapest being the NY Liberty at $900 (tax writeoff if i donate the tickets to charity). This VIP list would supposedly put me right behind current NYK subcribers but ahead of those on the "new subscriber" waiting list.

The question is -- how long is the waiting list and what are my chances of landing tickets next season. And in the grand scheme of things...is it worth it?

could we get some insight from current knicks season subscribers? like how much are you paying now -- ballpark..and how much do you expect the increase to be next year?

NY_Swagger

Benchwarmer
could we get some insight from current knicks season subscribers? like how much are you paying now -- ballpark..and how much do you expect the increase to be next year?

Just got my invoice for playoffs and next season. Im in the 200s and they are definitely hitting our pockets hard.

Playoffs are up 100% from $74 to $150 per ticket
Next Season there up about 35% from $74 to $100 per ticket

Again this is for the 200 section. I'm not sure if this is across the board but expect it to be.

I have until 3/24 for playoffs and 5/13 for the renewal.

TommyMSG

Rookie
Based on the fact that you're asking this question I'm going to render a guess that thousands of other fans are thinking the same thing. That being said, prices for tickets are only going to rise, especially since we may have a perennial playoff contender on our hands.

If I were you I'd buy now.

thanks for the feedback. i'm thinking of dropping some cash on the 'throwaway' NY liberty tickets so that i can cut the line for new knicks subscribers. i'll let everyone know how it progresses.

as long as i can make my money back at the end of the season, then its all worth it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Just got my package in the mail today detailing the playoffs and next season.

My seats (2) are in section 133. For the playoffs the prices go up as the team advances. Round one: from $79 per to $130 per, round 2 is $145 per, round 3 is $215 per, and round 4 is $295 a seat.

You can either pay by round, or pay the total up front ($6300 and some change) and whatever games are left over can either go towards your balance if you renew next season, or they refund it.

And next year my seat package is going from a little over 7 grand to a little over 8 grand.

I'll probably keep the seats and start selling more tix next season. I have $500 in the account from some tix that I sold (1 game pre-Melo and 2 post-Melo) and I saw seats in my section going for $400 a pop for the Lakers game.

So yea, if I'd drop that deposit to get on the list and take those Liberty Tix and flip 'em or donate 'em. The way they set up the Ticket Exchange (if you sell your tix right from your account screen online) is that they build in a profit...at least from what I've seen. My tix were $79 per, in the package, but when I sold them online thru MSG, the lowest I could make them was $87...which is still less than the box office price, but more than what they cost individually in the tix package.

Hope this helps. Good luck man.

thanks for all the insight and thanks especially for the 2011-12 pricing sheet. the prices seem steep but definitely not as bad as i initially expected. i'm definitely gonna go for a subscription next year.

Maybe i can get on the list AND save some money next year with the impending lockout. Ticket rep said that all games not played due to the lockout will be refunded.

ESPN article on the Knicks raising season ticket prices:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6206820&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Knicks tickets to see 'significant' hike
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r4.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('6206820','http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6206820'); });</SCRIPT><CITE class=source>By Ian Begley
Special to ESPNNewYork.com
</CITE><!-- begin story body -->
NEW YORK -- If you want to purchase season tickets to watch Carmelo Anthony and the new-look New York Knicks play next season, you're going to have to pony up.
Madison Square Garden announced Friday that the price of Knicks season tickets will increase by an average of 49 percent for the 2011-2012 season.
The price for New York Rangers season tickets will increase by an average of 23 percent next season.

But the Garden will not sell personal seat licenses in the arena.
<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->
The New York Jets and New York Giants sold the controversial PSL -- a one-time fee to purchase a license for a seat in the stadium -- for seats in the New Meadowlands Stadium, which opened in 2010.
The Garden is undergoing a three-year planned reconstruction. The first phase of the reconstruction -- reconfigured seating in the arena's lower bowl, an expanded lower concourse and the addition of suites -- is planned to debut next season.
Scott O'Neil, president of MSG Sports, said the resulting amenities associated with the arena's ongoing remodeling were a main factor for the "significant" price increase.

O'Neil said the Knicks' recent acquisition of Anthony did not play a role in the increase, but "anticipated team performance" was a factor.
The Knicks acquired All-Star Amare Stoudemire during the summer, signing him to a five-year, $100 million contract. They completed a trade with the Denver Nuggets for Anthony on Feb. 22.

The Knicks, who haven't qualified for the postseason since 2004, are in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, with 20 games left in the regular season.
<!-- begin inline 2 -->
<!-- end inline 2 -->

O'Neil said that team performance or anticipated team performance is a factor that is "highly weighted" in the decision to set ticket prices.
"The [arena's three-year] transformation is the dominant reason why prices are where they are. There are several different factors," O'Neil said. "But these prices were made before Carmelo came."
Season tickets will be offered at 20 different price points for Knicks fans, with seats starting at $35 per game. The most expensive seat in the house -- which currently sells for $3,000 -- will increase to $3,600 next season, according to O'Neil. The team did not release any other ticket prices. They have not stated prices for individual seats.
The steepest increase in prices will be applied to the best seats in the house.

Prices for nearly one-fourth of the seats in the Garden will increase by at least 50 percent.

The biggest increase for Knicks tickets -- 173 percent -- will be applied to 40 seats in sections closest to the floor. And prices for 1,238 seats in premier sections will increase by 100 percent. Prices for nearly half of the arena's season tickets will increase by 15 percent or less; 10 percent of seats will increase by less than 5 percent; and 1,088 seats will not change prices for next season. They actually may decrease, the team said.

Tickets will be offered at 17 different price points for Rangers fans, with the least expensive seat selling for $39 per game.

The biggest increase for Rangers tickets -- a 198 percent addition -- will be applied to 32 seats in the sections closest to the ice.
Rates for 11 percent of seats in the closest sections to the ice will be raised 50 percent or more. The remaining 11,789 seats in the building will increase 10 percent or less.
Certain seating packages will include amenities such as all-inclusive dining and views of athletes entering and exiting the arena. Pricing for seats without such amenities will increase by an average of 28 percent for Knicks tickets and 13 percent for Rangers tickets.
O'Neil said that Madison Square Garden studied and consulted with other teams who have recently opened new complexes. Garden staffers also polled fans for their input on ticket policies and seating preferences in the new arena.
There was significant public backlash over the New York Yankees' initial ticket prices in 2009, the year the team opened its new ballpark.
Twelve days after the Yankees opened the park, they slashed prices to some of the most expensive seats in half. Many of the seats -- priced around $2,500 -- went unsold.
The Knicks have the second-highest average ticket price in the NBA this season at $88.66, according to Reuters. The defending champion Los Angeles Lakers have the highest average ticket price at $99.25.
As part of the first phase of the reconstruction, sections up to the 200 level will be combined into a cohesive lower bowl of seating, eliminating the walkway between sections. There will be fewer seats in the new lower level than are currently available in the arena (670 for Knicks games, 530 for Rangers games).

But O'Neil said that all fans holding season tickets in the lower level will be able to purchase seats in the lower level in the new arena because the seats lost were not sold as season tickets.
"We're doing everything we can to make this a smooth transition," O'Neil said. No fans will have the exact same vantage point if they choose to purchase the same seat they have in the current arena, with each seat shifting slightly.

Seats will be sold on an "early-bird special" beginning April 4.
"I hope there's not sticker shock here," O'Neil said. "We believe that it's a fair value here -- with the increased amenities that you're going to get in the new building."
Ian Begley is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.
<!--columnistprofile is null--><!-- begley_ian--><!-- end story body --><!-- begin sponsored links -->

have any current subscribers received a timeframe for renewals for next season? is there a deadline to renew? just wondering when/if they will get to the new subscribers..