upcoming FA

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
so we all know cp3 will not be available for another full season, so with that said who are some notables in this upcoming FA market as we really have no roster to trade with. i mean clearly we need a big man or 2

moneyg

Starter
so we all know cp3 will not be available for another full season, so with that said who are some notables in this upcoming FA market as we really have no roster to trade with. i mean clearly we need a big man or 2

My prevous post below...

keep in mind if we overspend.. we wont have 2012 cap space...

maybe overspend for a one year contract

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9549&highlight=gasol

who is available????

#1 option is Melo as a free agent and will cost us all of our cap space and we lose Wilson Chandler, but keep galo and fileds...probably wont happen

#2 option is keep Chandler... pick up a Big and backup PG and you still got your cast including Turiaf..(PO which he will exercise).

who's out there...

BIGS
Marc Gasol - RFA - Memphis can match.... we probaly have to pay him about 12 mil per..leaving us with 4 mil to fill in other gaps..

Tyson Chandler... Cuban will over pay to keep, especially if they do damage in playoffs

David West (PO)..i think for the right price can be a perfect frontcourt mate with Amare... Maybe 8-9 mil per

Nene (PO) would fit well with amare.. 8-9 mil per

Kendrik Perk..or Big Baby.. both would fit well ..if KP comes back healthy .. he is a tough defensive presense.. him with Amare.. Big Baby on the cheap..maybe 6-7 mil per

Dalembert... cheaper option can play defense

TRADES may have to happen

SMALLS

its kinda thin here

Barbosa PO.. If he opts out.. maybe a cheap long term contract will get him...28 over 5 will work...can play in O'antoni's system and can spell Felton better

Arroyo...he will probaly stay in MIA

Grant Hill is not a Guard but can play Point Foward... doubt it though...

Realistically Speaking...

I think our best option would be that we get

David West or Nene 8 mi
Resign Chandler at 5mil per he might go for it...
Find a back up PG on the cheap...or darft a pure PG in ther draft.

miked1958

Rotation player
Cap Space or pawns

Is it not the understanding that they have no cap space left to sign anyone this offseason? Also as of right now they are saying they dont even have the pieces to make a decent offer for a BIG by trade deadline. Not sure what will change in offseason, like who they would not resign or who might be let go to make space for someone that would fit the blueprint of where they want to go over next 2 seasons. I dont even see how it will be possible to get CP3 when he is a FA because 3 current Knicks make 50m, unless he is willling to take alot less to play here and we let Billups go.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We have zero cap space for this summer. If the MLE is eliminated with the new CBA we are stuck with what we have now. The only additions to our roster can be minimum vets and our 1 draft pick.

miked1958

Rotation player
No its NOT

well, this is not promising
and it STINKS that all these other teams got their big 3 under the old CBA, so Miami and Boston has done it, but who knows what will happen under the new one which could leave us as we are currently constituted plus a few minor add ons as someone else mentioned.

Although its not the perfect senario like the Heat did this past offseason and the Celts did years back, I think if we can convince Billups to stay on ( although he is up in age ) and sign new deal, he may be good for another 2-4 years. With Amare and Melo and Fields maturing we will have a Nice BallClub. A BallClub that can contend for a Title? maybe not. But by far more exciting to watch night in and night out and who knows what can happen in a long playoff series's. Maybe some bounces go our way and we knock off a few of the elite teams

la2ny

Starter
We have zero cap space for this summer. If the MLE is eliminated with the new CBA we are stuck with what we have now. The only additions to our roster can be minimum vets and our 1 draft pick.
This is not true. We have alot of contracts coming off this year. Also it was stated that if there is a hard cap it will be around 70 mill. Remember the problem isn't the cap, it's the contract the players are getting so if they restructure what max deals are, and restructure garuanteed contracts then a hard but higher cap is possible. We do have to remember the reason these owners have been in trouble are some of the stupid contracts they have given out(Drew Gooden,Travis Outlaw).

Also they are looking towards a revenue sharing system that rivals the NFL's.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This is not true. We have alot of contracts coming off this year. Also it was stated that if there is a hard cap it will be around 70 mill. Remember the problem isn't the cap, it's the contract the players are getting so if they restructure what max deals are, and restructure garuanteed contracts then a hard but higher cap is possible. We do have to remember the reason these owners have been in trouble are some of the stupid contracts they have given out(Drew Gooden,Travis Outlaw).

Also they are looking towards a revenue sharing system that rivals the NFL's.

With everyone coming off we will have a team salary of aprox $59.5 mil. The cap this year was $58 mil.

Just tweeted from Alan Hahn of Newsday:
For those asking, after signing Carmelo to an extension, the Knicks won't have cap space in 2011 for any other moves, pending new CBA.

Could you please provide the link citing a $70 mil hard cap? I have not seen this.

If current salaries are scaled dwon, it is because the cap is reduced. Max contracts have always been a percentage of the cap. They are not going to scale Amare and Melo's contracts down, giving them less money, and increase the cap as well. This sounds like wishful thinking to me. Could you please provide a link that mentions this as a likely possiblity with the new CBA?

The only thing I have seen is potential scale down in contract length/size for mid-level players, possibly a small decrease in max-level players, a smaller cap and an elimination of the MLE.

With 18 out of the 30 NBA teams losing money, it is more likely to see a much more restrictive CBA. The players are fighting this, which is understandable, and a lockout for next season looks inevitable. Hopefully they can find a meeting place in the middle. Either way, it looks like the future is going to be more restrictive than it is today.

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
The only way is if the cap goes up approx $8 mil. Or CP3 agrees to a massive pay cut.

well i dont get it, whats the point of signing melo? we dont have a complete team, and cant afford one now. and how the hell did boston and miami do it?

there has to be a way, cause all the media keeps talking about is how melo and stat will attract other stars, why would they say this if its not possible?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
well i dont get it, whats the point of signing melo? we dont have a complete team, and cant afford one now. and how the hell did boston and miami do it?

there has to be a way, cause all the media keeps talking about is how melo and stat will attract other stars, why would they say this if its not possible?

Boston did it by trades. They traded for both Allen and KG.

Miami did it by the 3 taking pay cuts in their first year. Lebron and Bosh took $14.5 mil and Wade took $14 mil totaling $43 mil. In 2012, when we are targeting CP3, Amare and Melo's salary total $39.4 mil.

The media is too lazy to crunch the numbers. The same thing happened last year. Myself, and Oldtimer, another cap guru on this site, kept saying we didn't have enough cap space to sign two max contracts. Nobody reported it and always talked about getting Lebron and Bosh. It wasn't until rumors about Donnie trying to trade Jeffries for TMac did everyone realize we didn't have the space.

Don't listen to the media. Do the math yourself.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer

And if I am not mistaken it is a 2nd rounder, correct?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
And if I am not mistaken it is a 2nd rounder, correct?

No. We have our first rounder this year. Well, Houston has the right to swap picks with us, but we will most likely have a better record, so they'll keep theirs.

We don't have a pick in 2012 and 2014.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer

I was thinking the same thing. Ofcourse, there will be a new CBA next year so we dont know for sure we wont be able to get another max like CP3, but it looks highly doubtful.

Its funny because without A'mare we probably wouldnt of got Melo but it will also be A'mare's contract that will prevent us from getting CP3. Not that I dont like A'mare, because I definatley do and have respect for him being the first star to come here but Melo is a better player and would rather have Melo and CP3 instead of A'mare and Melo.

Hopefully there is a way to get it done, whether they let Melo and STAT re-negotioate there contracts or they get grandfathered in, I dont know but still have hope we can get an elite PG like CP3.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
No. We have our first rounder this year. Well, Houston has the right to swap picks with us, but we will most likely have a better record, so they'll keep theirs.

We don't have a pick in 2012 and 2014.

Ok thats right, thanks for the info.

Hopefully we can get a solid PG or C to help round out our roster, or get a really good player regardless of position and be able to package him in a deal for CP3, that is if it would even be possible under the new CBA.

moneyg

Starter
I was thinking the same thing. Ofcourse, there will be a new CBA next year so we dont know for sure we wont be able to get another max like CP3, but it looks highly doubtful.

Its funny because without A'mare we probably wouldnt of got Melo but it will also be A'mare's contract that will prevent us from getting CP3. Not that I dont like A'mare, because I definatley do and have respect for him being the first star to come here but Melo is a better player and would rather have Melo and CP3 instead of A'mare and Melo.

Hopefully there is a way to get it done, whether they let Melo and STAT re-negotioate there contracts or they get grandfathered in, I dont know but still have hope we can get an elite PG like CP3.

if the cap stays the same with only 41mil commites for 2012 we can get a CP3..if the cap is decreased.. it will decrease for all tems.. meaing CP3 will have to stay in NO or take a pay cut... most teams will have about 40mil commited in 2012.. so let say the cap is 50 mil.. CP# would have to take a cut from anyteam he goes to

STAT1

Starter
Realistically we will only have enough cap space to sign minimum salary veterans, unless the new CBA includes a MLE clause, which I hear they may be doing away with. We should probably try to focus on possible options that might want to play in NY for a run at a title next year for cheap. Guys like Nene, Gasol, Jordan, etc. won't be attainable unless the cap goes up by a significant margin.