Crawford rejects the trade

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
Looks like Crawford is looking for more money before he agrees to the trade.
Chicago Tribune: General managers Isiah Thomas and John Paxson have agreed in principle to a six-player trade that would send Bulls Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski, league sources said.

There's one small problem: Crawford's camp has rejected the trade - for now.

The streamlined version of the trade talks, which have lasted for five weeks and featured countless combinations, calls for Crawford to sign a seven-year, $55 million deal.

In previously discussed scenarios, Crawford stood to make that amount in six years and possibly $70 million in seven years. The new figures have given Crawford's camp pause, sources said.

Since Crawford is a restricted free agent and the Bulls own his rights, Paxson has never budged from his stance that major financial relief was the only path to a deal.

That Thomas has agreed in principle to send four expiring contacts to the Bulls is consistent with Paxson's philosophy. It also will save the Bulls $15 million in cash and $18 million in salary-cap space over the next four seasons.

Crawford would be a base-year compensation player under the structure of the proposed deal, which is complicating matters. A league source said Thomas rejected a proposal to sign an unwanted free agent and include him in the deal as salary-cap ballast so that Crawford's salary could go higher.

There is still guarded optimism on all sides that a deal will get done. The only concern is that Thomas will be put off by Crawford's camp rejecting a nearly done deal.

If the trade collapses, it's almost certain Crawford will play next season for the Bulls at a qualifying offer of $3.5 million and then become an unrestricted free agent.

The Bulls' pitch to re-sign Crawford for six years at $39 million is no longer an option.

wow.. what is wrong with CRawford hwo can ureject a trade 2 the knicks while makin 10mil a year this is year not good 4 us isiah worked a long time 4 this tarde it cnt colapse

e_D

Benchwarmer
Well then.. Isiah did what he had to do. Paxson finally budged with the deal.. If this move fails to go through, the blame will be placed solely on Crawford for being a bit too greedy.

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
this guy doesn't want to play in NY anymore, he wants to play where the money is.
Don't pay him too much isiah, lets him play in chicago, don't bring another big contract in our cap room.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
Crawford will be signed in less than 24 hours...that was a Chicago paper and their spin on the whole thing...I think we are giving a lot up for him; but, it is nice to have a player coming to NY that is going into his prime not leaving it...

JJtheKnick

Starter
this cant be happening. what happen i thoght he wanted top come here. out of no where he says no. wow he wasent going anywhere with the bulls and the knicks are ganna be a good team. i dont understand. have faith in isiah

dacash

Benchwarmer
crwford is coming,that the chicago news paper painting him as a bad guy cause he so desprately wanted to leave. he is in hand. according to other sources espn,hoopshype,insdehoops etc they just ironing out minor stuff. we have a new shooting guard.

Hell Yeaa he would get so many endosments u se Marbury hes lovin life here so can he i mean its NY, hes pickin CHicago ova NY have fun missing the playoffs n kep losing.

JJtheKnick

Starter
TmAc N Knicks4life said:
Hell Yeaa he would get so many endosments u se Marbury hes lovin life here so can he i mean its NY, hes pickin CHicago ova NY have fun missing the playoffs n kep losing.

marbury loves new york. its what he said. "new york is basketball-basketball is new york". i just hope crawford comes here to see what kind of place this is.

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
we all hope that JC will come here in NY and bring all the good things he can do on the basketball court and make the knicks win more basketball games, but, man, he has had a so fucking attitude.

Hope he really loves the knicks and don't come just for the money. :cry:

the knicks got screwed on this deal when it goes through.
they kept shanon anderson and moochie noris.
they both suck, and have like 80 million between them

starpula

Benchwarmer
[the knicks got screwed on this deal when it goes through.
they kept shanon anderson and moochie noris.
they both suck, and have like 80 million between them]

Knicks dont care about payroll at this point. They are so far over the cap it doesnt matter what the payroll is (assuming Dolan keeps giving the green light to spend). With no cap room and no draft picks Isiah is using his one commidity to improve this team... expiring contracts. Next summer we'll find another restricted free agent we like and trade Penny, Tim Thomas or Moochie Norris for him since they'll be entering their last year. [/quote]

Knicks dont care about payroll at this point. They are so far over the cap it doesnt matter what the payroll is (assuming Dolan keeps giving the green light to spend). With no cap room and no draft picks Isiah is using his one commidity to improve this team... expiring contracts. Next summer we'll find another restricted free agent we like and trade Penny, Tim Thomas or Moochie Norris for him since they'll be entering their last year. [/quote]

have you seen the contract the knicks will have to take on if the get dampire. some garbage center that will never walk again.
look at denver. look what they have done. developed young players
no stupid contracts, and sign key players

starpula

Benchwarmer
[have you seen the contract the knicks will have to take on if the get dampire. some garbage center that will never walk again.
look at denver. look what they have done. developed young players
no stupid contracts, and sign key players]

I agree that what Denver did was great. Create cap room, grab a few gifted players via the lottery while you suck, then go for the big score (Kenyon Martin in Denver's case) with your cap room. The Knicks are in no position to try this right now. All these terrible contracts guarntee that they'll be over the cap for years. Isiah is just doing the next best thing, trading some of the expiring contracts for good players. One day this all may bite us in the ass, but for now it's the only way we can contend. Ideally the Knicks should try the Denver model, but Isiah is doing the next best thing for now.

Starpula has it pegged.

Expiring contracts are the only thing the Knicks have to offer any team. Next year we have Tim Thomas and Penny, as well as Moochie if he is not bought out to trade and they will return us a big time player. Tim and Penny both make $13-$15mil/season.

If the Knicks wanted to try what Denver has done, they trade every good player they have for no ones with small, expiring contracts. I myself as a huge knicks fan am not content to sit and watch them trade Kurt Thomas, Marbury for losers, watch the team struggle for 3 or 4 years to get 18 wins/season, just to try to rebuild down the road.
Dolan is making money on the Knicks I believe. Thats why he will spend unlimited cash for players to make the team better. Although if the Knicks go through 3-4 years of getting blown out every night, The garden would be empty, nobody would buy the shirts etc.
Bottom line is this is the only way the Knicks can improve the team in the present.
I believe the deal for Crawford will go down. I believe Crawfords camp is just getting a few concerns in his contract worked out. I dont think he rejected the deal for good, just in the way it was written, and they will amend it and make it work.

David