The Summer of DeAndre Jordan!!!

Good post iSaYughh. I'll be rooting for Kaman to have a great finish to the season, that could maybe better our chances @ the Clippers allowing Jordan to leave as a FA (without offering him a boat load of a contract).

We have a decent bench right now. Not great, but full of talent out of the guards & SF positions. Add a big man & upgrade the bench here & there; & we're in serious contention.

What type of contracts would you expect both Davis & Jordan to look for as free agents on the open market?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I dunno how much DeAndre Jordan is going to get but you'd think he, like many players, would be willing to take a paycut to play with STAT & MELO

I agree with you SSj4. The Knicks have plenty more to offer... Other than just money. MSG is the worlds most famous arena. Manhattan is what the night life & bright lights are all about. What young up & coming player wouldn't wanna play here right now? The fans are some of the best fans in ALL of sports. You heard New Yorkers rocking ATL's building tonight? Amare for MVP chants, coming from thousands & thousands of supporters in Georgia? A true Center is what NY Knick fans dream of right now. Put up production and effort; and your loved by the city. Playing with Amare & Carmelo means your in the playoff hunt every year.

New York basketball has arrived. The Knicks are back. We're a hot spot for talent right now. Take less money, and enjoy a career full of success stories.

I agree with you SSj4. The Knicks have plenty more to offer... Other than just money. MSG is the worlds most famous arena. Manhattan is what the night life & bright lights are all about. What young up & coming player wouldn't wanna play here right now? The fans are some of the best fans in ALL of sports. You heard New Yorkers rocking ATL's building tonight? Amare for MVP chants, coming from thousands & thousands of supporters in Georgia? A true Center is what NY Knick fans dream of right now. Put up production and effort; and your loved by the city. Playing with Amare & Carmelo means your in the playoff hunt every year.

New York basketball has arrived. The Knicks are back. We're a hot spot for talent right now. Take less money, and enjoy a career full of success stories.

I disagree with you. I think coming here isn't as attractive an option for him as you'd think.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Random bump by me, but I just want to emphasise how much I think we need to pursue this dude.

Considering that LAC's cap total is only $44M next season - if there is one - it all seems very unlikely.

Fingers crossed, though.

Good center next year > CP3

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Uncertainty Going forward

We do not know what the new CBA will bring but it is unlikely that the cap will be increased over the current model unless there is a hard cap. In the short run, a hard cap might help, but not in the long run --it is designed to reduce the power of the richer franchises.

I have calculated our cap space under the current CBA for next year. If we keep Billups he is scheduled to earn $14.2M. With him and our committed -- or team option --salaries for Amare', Melo, Douglas, Fields, Rautins, Turiaf, Walker, Balkman, our first round pick and phantom fillers to reach the required 12 person roster at the minimum salary of about $476K each will put us over $61M. Douglas and Walker have team option contracts. Douglas is plainly a keeper. The team option for Walker is about $900K which will also make him a keeper at least for trade purposes.

We have to make a decision on Billups, as I understand it, within 5 days after the end of the season. We will not know whether there will be an increased cap, via hard-cap, under a new CBA by that time.

We are not getting Deandre Jordan for a mid-level exception if such were to survive in the new CBA. But the Clippers' owner, Sterling, is known for being cheap. On the other hand, for that reason he is also surely likely to want to move Kaman instead.

As much as I like Billups, we have to buy him out for $3.7M. That is our only way to get some room for a big. Even if we do buy him out, under the current CBA the buy-out price will be counted against our cap and will put us over $50M.

Although there is some risk with Jordan who is inconsistent, he would certainly give us a presence in the middle. I believe that a defensive presence in the middle is our most glaring need. If we do not let Billups go, I do not see us possibly getting one -- other than with a lucky draft pick. I do not trust the friendliness of any new CBA or significant cap space for 2012/13 to fill our holes.

With Amare' and Melo's combined salaries increasing into the mid 40 millions, we are going to continue to have cap problems in future years. Indeed, a hard cap could well create real problems for us. Next year might be the only year in the near future with significant cap space. We will not have the space if we keep Billups at $14.2M.

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
I just actually created a thread and touched on Deandre Jordan and the Chauncey situation a bit. I mean I dont know Chauncey personally but he seems like the type of person that is Respect/Championships > Money.

Could you see the Chauncellor taking the buyout then reupping for lets say 2 years but a lot less money. Its job security and a chance the win another championship in his last two years.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Definitely. Ive been a Get Big Baby fan from the moment potential FA threads started up.

Jordan is a wildcard. Clips seemed to be primed to do what it takes to keep...yet Kaman not traded; and he's been getting the most minutes versus Jordan, and playing pretty well while doing so.

Who do we even trade to these fools to even be able to spend the $ on him...

A legit big and power moving the draft to secure Jimmers (or Kemba) and we are mint.

Derrick Brown will be our "Big Baby". He is taller and more athletics than Big Baby. Derrick brown can run. I think Donnie did real good in picking up this kid. I think he will be a great back up to Stoudemire.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Crazy⑧s;174597 said:
Random bump by me, but I just want to emphasise how much I think we need to pursue this dude.

Considering that LAC's cap total is only $44M next season - if there is one - it all seems very unlikely.

Fingers crossed, though.

Good center next year > CP3

I was thinking about him during the game last night.

NeNe, Chandler would be great pick-ups, but fresh, young DeAndre would be amazing to have. Block shots, rebound, athletic, and this video is no fluke, it's impressive.

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
Just had to bump up this thread since our season is over. I would love it if DW was able able to acquire DeAndre. He is a true center who would get us to the next level.

gmpknick

Benchwarmer
I'd scratch off Billups and Fields!!!

I would NOT sign Chauncy for 14mil at 36 years old and gets hurt when he sneezes...Fields proved he's not ready for a starting gig...he was over-valued during the year...I do like D Jordan though...I'd make an offer to M. Gasol...long, great hands, sets a great screen, and can pass...He'd cost alot but I'd go all in..

Blumatic

Rotation player
Give me Deandre. he is so athletic at that Height. He is also working with Hakeem the Dream this summer.

Tyson Chandler is exactly who we need but he's gonna get paid. Deservedly so.

Im not big on Gasol. I dont think he's an intimindator. Jordan can be. Hopefully Clippers management remains clippers management.

Regardless, it would be in the best interest of the team to do a sign and trade for these guys. It would be better to switch salaries than to add on. I dont expect dollar for dollar but its still better than adding on.