Crucial Remainder - Monitoring Threat Teams - Playoff Match Ups - Critical Games

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
19 Games Remain!

large.jpg
[/CENTER]

-The 5 teams most likely to climb or fall the EC ladder and effect our first round chances are:

Orlando, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami and Atlanta.

76ers_50t.png

- 1.5 games ahead of Philly, who have a much easier schedule than us for the remainder of the season. Recently lost to Dallas. We face them once before the season concludes.

hawks_50t.png

- Hawks beat the Bulls in a 19 point comeback win today and are now only 2 games behind Orlando. They have a schedule roughly as difficult as ours. We face them once before the season concludes.

orlando.gif

- Magic have an easier schedule than both us and Atlanta. Particularly their last 9 games. We face them twice before the season concludes.

lens15782381_1290644676chicago_bulls_logo.gif

- Chicago are 3 games ahead of Orlando and are currently our first round match up. Their schedule for the remainder of the season is, again, roughly along the lines of being as challenging as ours, but tails off toward their last 7. We face them once in our second last game before the season ends.

-
miami_heat_1.gif
Miami, after a string of non clutch performances, have entered the fray. They've lost 6 of their last 7 after a home loss to Portland, and are only 2.5 games ahead of Orlando who look to make 3rd seed.

At this stage, we'd prefer to meet the Heat in the first round as it becomes progressively more clear that their supporting cast can't provide enough to win tight games, and that Chris Bosh is a $15M lemon.

Orlando pose a huge threat to us with their depth and rebounding.

Luckily, the Heat's schedule tails off to basically all -.500 teams after a tough run of 6 games against East and West elites.

Heat Schedule

http://www.nba.com/heat/schedule/index.html

As confident as we all seem to be with our new lineup, we do have a challenging schedule throughout our remaining 22 games. Should wins are a thing of the past. Must wins could be no less crucial.

Our must win games are against:

- Cleveland - March 4 & April 3
- Memphis - March 9 & 17
- Indiana home and away - March 13 & 15 + April 10
- Detroit - Mar 18
- Milwaukee - March 20 & 25
- Charlotte - March 26
- New Jersey - April 8 & March 30
- Toronto - April 5
- Philadelphia - April 6

These make up 15 of our last 22. If we were to go 15 and 7, I'd assume we'd not fall to 7th. Give up any of these must wins and Philadelphia become more likely to overtake us.

Ideal 1st Round

Ideal is probably not the term of choice, but I believe our most favorable match up in the first round of the Playoffs is Chicago. Hence, at this stage at least, maintaining 6th is detrimental.

○ We have 2 back up defenders in Carter and Douglas that we can throw hard at D Rose.

○ Rebounding, as ever, is a concern with Boozer and Noah. Williams becomes a mismatch at PF for them and would be integral to our success. Jefferies may come in handy against Boozer's post game with active hands.

○ Chicago do not defend the perimeter well, and the combination of STAT and Melo as 15 foot threats present a dilemma for them.

STAT's Techs

large.jpg

According to the following, Technical fouls are reset in the post-season under this premise.

Playoffs

Technical Fouls 1-2: $2,000 fine each
Technical Fouls 3-4: $3,000 fine each
Technical Fouls 5-6: $4,000 fine each (with a warning letter sent
when the violator reaches his 5th technical foul)

Technical Foul 7: $5,000 fine plus one-game suspension
Each Additional Technical Foul: $5,000 fine
Each Two Additional Technical Fouls
(9, 11, 13, etc.): $5,000 fine plus one game suspension

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/me...TechStatus.pdf

I will add more eventually as the drama unfolds.

You can view our remaining schedule within the game thread sticky in the NYK forum. The schedules of the concerning teams are below.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/hawks/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/magic/schedule/

Let's do the site a favour and make this the focal of our hopes for 6th seed, and the monitoring of said teams as we push to optimize our post-season chances.

new_york_knicks_alternate.gif

Last edited:
You definitely need to do the playoff matchday threads, we always seem to be playing well when you do them!

I bet you get us all hyped up against the old enemy from Chicago...

Great thread, I loved every bit of it. I created a thread today about predicting the remaining 22 games left on the schedule; I myself had us going 15-7. If we can get hot though, I can seriously picture us going 17-5 which sounds crazy, but if we were to avoid any upsets & actually pull off two upsets, we could hit 17-5 as long as we bring our defensive intensity night in & night out. 17-5 gets us the 5 seed.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
You definitely need to do the playoff matchday threads, we always seem to be playing well when you do them!

I bet you get us all hyped up against the old enemy from Chicago...

Oh yes! The spite still lingers.

Great thread, I loved every bit of it. I created a thread today about predicting the remaining 22 games left on the schedule; I myself had us going 15-7. If we can get hot though, I can seriously picture us going 17-5 which sounds crazy, but if we were to avoid any upsets & actually pull off two upsets, we could hit 17-5 as long as we bring our defensive intensity night in & night out. 17-5 gets us the 5 seed.

Thanks very much. Sorry, I didn't see your thread. We're capable of 17-5, but at the same time, we're capable of 12-10. A lot of queries linger with this team.

Nice thread. Well thought out.

I agree with all of it.

We could even top 15-7 realistically.

Cheers. You're right, it is realistic. But as I said above, it's equally as realistic for us to fumble 6th.

I'm so geared up for our first playoff birth in 7 years. God I love this team!

mafra

Legend
Any chance we had to overtake ORL went out the window when J-Nelson & Q-Rich exploded in the 4th on Tues. I still think we have enough to ward off the charging Sixers...

So I would venture to guess it's 60/40 (CHI/MIA). Chances are we get the BULLS. Call me crazy, but I almost prefer to face MIA.

WHY?

Well, CHI has some experience playing together in the playoffs. HOWEVER, this will be the first rodeo for the new-look HEAT. They might be tentative. PLUS, Rose will be tough to stop... especially in the 4th (think what Nelosn just did and times that by 10). AND, Noah-Gibson-Boozer will be a handful to deal with.

NYK might matchup a bit better with MIA.

This is not to say we can't stop CHI. I think Jeffries will be important. We'll need him to disrupt Rose at times, and to handle Boozer. BUT, the final thing to consider: I'll bet on Thibby's defensive-mindedness over the beautiful mind that is MD's offensive prowess.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
There's no way I want the Heat in the 1st. No matter how you twist it, they still have LBJ and Wade.

In the Bulls' case: you stop Rose, you win.

I see Melo being the Bulls' bane, and I think we can contain Rose after watching Atlanta do it yesterday.

Looking at the match ups

Noah - Williams, Williams, Amar'e, Jefferies
Boozer - Shawne Williams, Amar'e, Jefferies
Deng - Shawne Williams, Melo, Jefferies, Fields
Bogans and Brewer - Fields, Carter, Douglas - Size issue here.
Rose - Billups, Douglas, Carter, Jefferies

We shut down the back court and we win.

Good perimeter defence and good one on one post defence make this potential series very winnable for us.

Jump on Melo's back and see what he's got.

I see what you're saying about Miami, but I still don't like the thought of our SGs V Wade, and obviously, LeBron James.

KingCharles34

All Star
^ Thats exactly what i like about Jeffries, he can guard any position.

It will be difficult for us to catch the Hawks because...

the knicks will have to go 15 and 7

The Hawks will have to go 9 and 12...

And thats just for the tie

So most likely, it will be Knicks vs Bulls: Payback for the 90's you pieces of bullshit fukk Mgay prickin and rodlover (jordan, pippen, and rodman) (and whoever else was involved with those teams)

skisloper

Starter
I think we will remain the 6th seed and enter the playoffs against the Bulls...

Jeffries will guard Rose and should cause him some problems....

The issue will be the boards........Hope this guy Brown gets some playing time to see what he is capable of.....

I do not know who on the bulls can guard Melo....he will be huge in that series...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^ Thats exactly what i like about Jeffries, he can guard any position.

It will be difficult for us to catch the Hawks because...

the knicks will have to go 15 and 7

The Hawks will have to go 9 and 12...

And thats just for the tie

So most likely, it will be Knicks vs Bulls: Payback for the 90's you pieces of bullshit fukk Mgay prickin and rodlover (jordan, pippen, and rodman) (and whoever else was involved with those teams)

Payback indeed! Prickin - :teeth:

I think we will remain the 6th seed and enter the playoffs against the Bulls...

Jeffries will guard Rose and should cause him some problems....

The issue will be the boards........Hope this guy Brown gets some playing time to see what he is capable of.....

I do not know who on the bulls can guard Melo....he will be huge in that series...

Melo, would/should be massive in that series. Billups is, as always, that dark horse with ice in his veins that will frighten any team heading in to a series verse us as well.

Boozer, even though his numbers have dropped off this year at 18 + 9, is still a concern. Amar'e is clearly the better PF, but if he wants the series, he'll get it on the boards.

Knicks in 6!

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
Hmm the Heat (a team we recently beat) are completely routing the Magic (a team that recently beat us). Perhaps the margins between them and us is not as big as we think, any one able to beat the other two on a given night.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Hmm the Heat (a team we recently beat) are completely routing the Magic (a team that recently beat us). Perhaps the margins between them and us is not as big as we think, any one able to beat the other two on a given night.

The Magic pulled out an amazing comeback win. Down from 24! Much like Jameer Nelson did against us, Jason Richardson caught fire and bombed them back in to the league from the arc.

This, I think, is really indicative of how evenly keeled we are in the East, with teams 3, 4 and 5.

The Heat pulled away from us and lost. We pulled away from the Magic and lost. Chicago pulled away from Atlanta, who we've beaten easily, and lost. We flogged Chicago with our pre-trade team.

So, as far as I see it, with the correct timing, refinements and certain problems redressed, whatever they may be, we can walk along the path of the 8th seed '99 team, and really make some noise as upstarts!

Already the wheels are turning:

Knicks Moving Away From SSoL

Cleveland+Cavaliers+v+New+York+Knicks+9DP1STuYzoal.jpg

With the Knicks personnel no longer ideally suited for Mike D'Antonio's 'Seven Seconds or Less' system, he is adjusting his playbook.

?Probably,? D?Antoni said Thursday when asked if this is the biggest adjustment he has had to make as a head coach since 2004. ?Really, there?s all kinds of different ways you can play it, and we?re going to try to maximize just what the players do.?

Carmelo Anthony's skills are perhaps an antithesis to D'Antoni's ball-and-player movement philosophy.

?We?re always going to be a little bit of an iso, one-on-one kind of a team, which, to be honest with you, is pretty good,? D?Antoni said.

While D'Antoni is willing to adapt, he doesn't want to abandon his identity.

?I think we?ll meet some place halfway in between,? he said Thursday, ?because we don?t want to lose what Melo and those guys do the best. A lot of it is going one-on-one. They?re the best in the league at it."

Anthony spent several summers with D?Antoni on the United States national team, which essentially ran D?Antoni?s system.

?It?s kind of hard to double-team guys in this offensive set that we run,? Anthony said. ?I like it, and it?s only going to get better.?

D'Antoni is simply being pragmatic with his offensive adjustments.

?I think we?ll all make adjustments and we?ll all make sacrifices,? D?Antoni said, ?and the end product should be: This is the best we can play. Whatever that is, we?ll do.?

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211769/Knicks_Moving_Away_From_SSoL#ixzz1FdYc5ueQ

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Well.... A spanner the size of ****ing China got thrown in the works tonight, didn't it? Living on the 27th floor in the suicide capital of the world is bad at times like these.

Horrible loss for the Knicks. Looks like we blew our chances @ both the 4 & 5 seeds. Fighting for the 6th & 7th seeds with the 76ers. Oh well. Horrible loss. Gotta move on but losing 3 games to the freaking Cavs has been almost impossible to sit through & watch.

JohnBoy11

Banned
Horrible loss for the Knicks. Looks like we blew our chances @ both the 4 & 5 seeds. Fighting for the 6th & 7th seeds with the 76ers. Oh well. Horrible loss. Gotta move on but losing 3 games to the freaking Cavs has been almost impossible to sit through & watch.
Yeah tough loss for sure for the Knicks. Philly Stackz and Allan Houston would be dissapointed.

Does this loss make Rubio stay away and go to Miami? the world my never know..... :eek7:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yeah tough loss for sure for the Knicks. Philly Stackz and Allan Houston would be dissapointed.

Does this loss make Rubio stay away and go to Miami? the world my never know..... :eek7:

How does Rubio have anything to do with the rest of our season and the playoff push? Let alone a loss to the Cavs?
facepalm2.gif
[/IMG]

JohnBoy11

Banned
Crazy⑧s;164591 said:
How does Rubio have anything to do with the rest of our season and the playoff push? Let alone a loss to the Cavs?
facepalm2.gif
[/IMG]

Are you serious? Rubio is the next PG for the Knicks guaranteed he's perfect for the Dantoni System and doesnt command the ball. Melo and Amare and Stackz would be pleased.

Hey Crazy, good thread. Yes, I was pretty damn hot after the loss tonight. Still feeling let down. Bad to lose another game like this. But it is what it is, the Hawks are up next. I'll just enjoy the rest of the season for what it is; a chance to head into the playoffs with two of the NBA's best talents in Carmelo & Amare. We've seen Melo dominate the West since his freshman days @ Syracuse. We all know what Stoudemire can do, we've seen it all year. This mam changed the culture of the Knicks & made us relevant for the first time since Ewing. Dude put up 40+ tonight, Melo wasn't far behind, we were without Billups & Turi. The best of exciting times have yet come. Think the Heat @ Miami game was an amazing feeling? Just wait for a MSG game during the playoffs with a matchup of Knicks vs Miami or Knicks vs Chicago? It's gonna be fun. What more can I ask for this year? My Knicks are relevant once again. Cavs loses hurt, but the hurting days should be over soon. Lets beat ATL.

JohnBoy11

Banned
Hey Crazy, good thread. Yes, I was pretty damn hot after the loss tonight. Still feeling let down. Bad to lose another game like this. But it is what it is, the Hawks are up next. I'll just enjoy the rest of the season for what it is; a chance to head into the playoffs with two of the NBA's best talents in Carmelo & Amare. We've seen Melo dominate the West since his freshman days @ Syracuse. We all know what Stoudemire can do, we've seen it all year. This mam changed the culture of the Knicks & made us relevant for the first time since Ewing. Dude put up 40+ tonight, Melo wasn't far behind, we were without Billups & Turi. The best of exciting times have yet come. Think the Heat @ Miami game was an amazing feeling? Just wait for a MSG game during the playoffs with a matchup of Knicks vs Miami or Knicks vs Chicago? It's gonna be fun. What more can I ask for this year? My Knicks are relevant once again. Cavs loses hurt, but the hurting days should be over soon. Lets beat ATL.

We need Rubio to beat ATL, Billups is killing the Knicks. Him and fields all just love to hype over assits but no rebounds for Philly Stackz NOTHING ZERO. Its stupid. BEAT A-T-L! only what now 20 games?

Whats your opinion on the seeding for the Knicks in the playoffs? Along with that Philly Stackz? Do we need more height? Like Marc Gasol? Damnnnnn. Crazy stuff all around man. :rollingeyes: