Crucial Remainder - Monitoring Threat Teams - Playoff Match Ups - Critical Games

PattyPat

Banned
After tonights victory over the Utah Jazz, the Knicks are only 3 1/2 games back of Atlanta for the 5 seed.

One game @ a time, starting with Memphis, but I like our chances of passing Atlanta for the 5th seed.

Orlando could become just about impossible to catch for the 4th seed & home court advantage during the 1st round of the playoffs, but we have gained two full games on Orlando in as many nights. Went from 8 back to 6 back in an instant.

We still play Orlando two more times. Will we sweep or even split the two game series? Who knows, only time will tell, but I love the fact that both games are in MSG. Protect our home court & sweep those two games (which is possible) & the Knicks are 4 games back of Orlando with about 17-18 games left on the schedule. Orlando still has to play teams such as the Lakers, Bulls, Hawks & 76ers. Who knows what will happen?

I seriously doubt we can catch Orlando for the important 4th seed; but that still won't stop me from pulling for NY W's & ORL L's from here on out.
I don't think the Knicks will catch the Hawks but that might be okay depending upon which teams end up as the 3 and 4 seeds.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;165192 said:
I just went back and checked the last plays of the quarter on LPB, and Lebron ran precisely! the same penetrate left from the top of the arc, only to get thwarted again.

Why can't these guys play together? I don't understand it?

Philly pulled out an OT win against GSW tonight behind a triple dip from Iguodala.

He's been their constant, but it's the bench combo of Young, Williams and Turner - who they got 59 combined points from tonight - as well as solid play from Brand and Holiday that is the backbone of their over achieving.

An excellent fast break and motion team with a lot of D to back it up. Really looking forward to our next encounter with them.:gony:

yeah, Thadeus Young has really emerged late in the season. Most thought he would soon after summer league but he kind of struggled early. Doug Collins is an awesome coach and will get the best outta him.

Speaking of coaches look for Thibodeau to get COTY honours this year. The Bulls defense is crazy right now.

tough choice between Miami and chi for first round match up. never thought id be saying that at the start of the year lol

I honestly can't wait to face the Celtics. I believe we match up very well against them, especially after they got rid of Perkins. They'll miss him when playing us, believe me.

Yes! Atlanta getting blown out by the Lakers with just about 2 mins left in the game. Only 3 games back of Atlanta for the 5 seed.

Portland & Miami have a good game going on. Close one. Hope Portland makes it 5 L's in a row for Miami.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Crazy⑧s;164021 said:
19 Games Remain!

large.jpg
[/CENTER]

-The 5 teams most likely to climb or fall the EC ladder and effect our first round chances are:

Orlando, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami and Atlanta.

76ers_50t.png

- 1.5 games ahead of Philly, who have a much easier schedule than us for the remainder of the season. Recently lost to Dallas. We face them once before the season concludes.

hawks_50t.png

- Hawks beat the Bulls in a 19 point comeback win today and are now only 2 games behind Orlando. They have a schedule roughly as difficult as ours. We face them once before the season concludes.

orlando.gif

- Magic have an easier schedule than both us and Atlanta. Particularly their last 9 games. We face them twice before the season concludes.

lens15782381_1290644676chicago_bulls_logo.gif

- Chicago are 3 games ahead of Orlando and are currently our first round match up. Their schedule for the remainder of the season is, again, roughly along the lines of being as challenging as ours, but tails off toward their last 7. We face them once in our second last game before the season ends.

-
miami_heat_1.gif
Miami, after a string of non clutch performances, have entered the fray. They've lost 6 of their last 7 after a home loss to Portland, and are only 2.5 games ahead of Orlando who look to make 3rd seed.

At this stage, we'd prefer to meet the Heat in the first round as it becomes progressively more clear that their supporting cast can't provide enough to win tight games, and that Chris Bosh is a $15M lemon.

Orlando pose a huge threat to us with their depth and rebounding.

Luckily, the Heat's schedule tails off to basically all -.500 teams after a tough run of 6 games against East and West elites.

Heat Schedule

http://www.nba.com/heat/schedule/index.html

As confident as we all seem to be with our new lineup, we do have a challenging schedule throughout our remaining 22 games. Should wins are a thing of the past. Must wins could be no less crucial.

Our must win games are against:

- Cleveland - March 4 & April 3
- Memphis - March 9 & 17
- Indiana home and away - March 13 & 15 + April 10
- Detroit - Mar 18
- Milwaukee - March 20 & 25
- Charlotte - March 26
- New Jersey - April 8 & March 30
- Toronto - April 5
- Philadelphia - April 6

These make up 15 of our last 22. If we were to go 15 and 7, I'd assume we'd not fall to 7th. Give up any of these must wins and Philadelphia become more likely to overtake us.

Ideal 1st Round

Ideal is probably not the term of choice, but I believe our most favorable match up in the first round of the Playoffs is Chicago. Hence, at this stage at least, maintaining 6th is detrimental.

○ We have 2 back up defenders in Carter and Douglas that we can throw hard at D Rose.

○ Rebounding, as ever, is a concern with Boozer and Noah. Williams becomes a mismatch at PF for them and would be integral to our success. Jefferies may come in handy against Boozer's post game with active hands.

○ Chicago do not defend the perimeter well, and the combination of STAT and Melo as 15 foot threats present a dilemma for them.

STAT's Techs

large.jpg

According to the following, Technical fouls are reset in the post-season under this premise.

Playoffs

Technical Fouls 1-2: $2,000 fine each
Technical Fouls 3-4: $3,000 fine each
Technical Fouls 5-6: $4,000 fine each (with a warning letter sent
when the violator reaches his 5th technical foul)

Technical Foul 7: $5,000 fine plus one-game suspension
Each Additional Technical Foul: $5,000 fine
Each Two Additional Technical Fouls
(9, 11, 13, etc.): $5,000 fine plus one game suspension

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/me...TechStatus.pdf

I will add more eventually as the drama unfolds.

You can view our remaining schedule within the game thread sticky in the NYK forum. The schedules of the concerning teams are below.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/hawks/schedule/
http://www.nba.com/magic/schedule/

Let's do the site a favour and make this the focal of our hopes for 6th seed, and the monitoring of said teams as we push to optimize our post-season chances.

new_york_knicks_alternate.gif

I just added the heat as the 5th team that make this ladder race in the East in increasingly intriguing one.

Here is the edit of the OP.

-
miami_heat_1.gif
Miami, after a string of non clutch performances, have entered the fray. They've lost 6 of their last 7 after a home loss to Portland, and are only 2.5 games ahead of Orlando who look to make 3rd seed.

At this stage, we'd prefer to meet the Heat in the first round as it becomes progressively more clear that their supporting cast can't provide enough to win tight games, and that Chris Bosh is a $15M lemon.

Orlando pose a huge threat to us with their depth and rebounding.

Luckily, the Heat's schedule tails off to basically all -.500 teams after a tough run of 6 games against East and West elites.

Heat Schedule

http://www.nba.com/heat/schedule/index.html

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yes! Atlanta getting blown out by the Lakers with just about 2 mins left in the game. Only 3 games back of Atlanta for the 5 seed.

Portland & Miami have a good game going on. Close one. Hope Portland makes it 5 L's in a row for Miami.

They sure did! Miami looked completely lost. Portland hit some uncanny shots in the last 2:00, though.

miked1958

Rotation player
Heat Lost again

So that is 5 losses in a row for the team that annointed themselves champions before they even practiced together. With the bulls win last night that puts them a full 2games behind Chicago for the 2nd seed. Still a long long way to go and we still have Philly breathing down our necks but as it stands right now i think it would be a matchup we can win for many reasons. Most already stated in alot of other posts

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
didnt realize it. sorry

No worries. We've all done it. In the thread you can see that Philadelphia won again today and are now only 0.5 games back on us. A loss in Memphis drops us to 7th.

There are schedules and info on Orlando, Philly, Atlanta, Miami and Chicago to monitor the likely outcome of our regular season standing.

miked1958

Rotation player
thanks

Crazy⑧s;166024 said:
No worries. We've all done it. In the thread you can see that Philadelphia won again today and are now only 0.5 games back on us. A loss in Memphis drops us to 7th.

There are schedules and info on Orlando, Philly, Atlanta, Miami and Chicago to monitor the likely outcome of our regular season standing.
going to check it out now

miked1958

Rotation player
need to keep up the intensity

Crazy⑧s;166009 said:
They sure did! Miami looked completely lost. Portland hit some uncanny shots in the last 2:00, though.
Philly is right on us. Cant falter wed nite in memphis. I know they are one of the hottest teams right now but if we continue to put good games together then we will be listed among the hottest teams...speaking of which, Dallas up after that ... what have they won 20of 22 or something like that
Loved seeing Miami losing again.
but like was said above, they are only 2.5 up on the Magic...if the fall to 4th they we need to overtake the Hawks.

Quotes from a Miami Heat forum -

"let them Knicks laugh, we'll see who's crying when they get sweept in the playoffs"

"And we are gonna have a hard time beating the defense-less knicks?And Lmfaoooo at them being in 6th place BEFORE ad AFTER the trade. Elite team? Much."

"NY needs to beware first round of the POs. Their asses is grass."

Lmao I love how Heat fans think we are still the same old Knicks that don't play defense and need to score 130 points to win a game every night. I can't wait till we catch them off guard in the first round of the playoffs and they get caught slippin like crybaby's.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
What a righteous thread. :peace:

Like the CHI breakdown. Very logical. The one draw back, and a potentially fatal one, is that the analysis and breakdown aside,

CHI is just playing really really ****ing good. And better players/teams simply being, or playing better, will trump rationale matchup breakdowns.

Still like it, though, and I feel more eager to potentially put those donks down!

"let them Knicks laugh, we'll see who's crying when they get sweept in the playoffs"

"And we are gonna have a hard time beating the defense-less knicks?And Lmfaoooo at them being in 6th place BEFORE ad AFTER the trade. Elite team? Much."

Lmao I love how Heat fans think we are still the same old Knicks that don't play defense and need to score 130 points to win a game every night. I can't wait till we catch them off guard in the first round of the playoffs and they get caught slippin like crybaby's.
Heat fans are idiots.

The only teams I'm worried about are Boston, and The Bulls because of the Billups Rose match up. If were healthy I think we can go far.

miked1958

Rotation player
Heat Fans

Do the Heat fans even realize that during this 5game losing streak their bench has been outscored by an avg of over 20points a game??? Their bench was outscored 41-8 in tonights game alone... lol. Do the Heat fan not realize that Roll and Bench Players play a HUGE role in how successful you will be in a playoff series. More times then not you see several players STEPUP off the Bench and play a key role in winning a series. Also the 4 big guys had zero blocked shots tonight.