The Knicks get bashed yet AGAIN

Steve Aschburner: Don?t be ridiculous. I?m prepared to be surprised and even wrong in my expectations for Carmelo Anthony?s impact in New York (I underestimated how well Amar?e Stoudemire would adapt and grow as a leader, for instance). But the Knicks gave up depth in their maneuvers to land him, playoff opponents will be able to thwart their two marvelous scorers when locked in a best-of-seven, Chauncey Billups ? wise and solid ? still isn?t a great fit playing at Mike D?Antoni?s preferred pace and the Knicks? defense is a significant step (or two) down from what Boston and Miami plays.
Fran Blinebury: One game and truckload of Miami turnovers doesn?t turn everything around. The Knicks are better, no doubt. Just not ready to take down Boston or Miami in a best-of-seven set yet.
<map id="FPMap0" name="FPMap0"> <area shape="rect" coords="6, 96, 296, 121" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-371"> <area shape="rect" coords="7, 132, 306, 159" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-372"> <area shape="rect" coords="10, 169, 289, 194" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-373"> </map> Scott Howard-Cooper: Please. They?re not in Bulls territory in the East, either. They?re probably not even in Magic territory, the way Orlando is one of the better defensive teams and the Knicks most definitely are not. I don?t think anything has changed from before the trade in that regard. That big win Sunday, by the way, was two days after giving up 115 points and losing to the Cavaliers and just before giving up 116 to the Magic on Tuesday.
Shaun Powell: To hear New Yorkers, you?d think Willis Reed just emerged from that tunnel again. Carmelo and Chauncey brought lots of buzz to the building. And yet the Knicks are no better than a No. 4 or 5 seed. That?s their ceiling, and until they demonstrate better defense over a longer stretch ? yeah, I know Amar?e blocked that LeBron layup ? you simply can?t trust their chances of going past Round 2 in the playoffs.
John Schuhmann: No. And obviously the difference is defense. The Knicks actually got a defensive win over the Heat on Sunday, but even with their roster upgrades, those won?t come often. And I think that game was more about the Miami offense being stagnant than the New York defense being great. The Knicks are going to win a lot of games with their talent and Mike D?Antoni?s offense, but unless they implement a better defensive system, they?re not going to be a title contender.
Sekou Smith: Not in the standings and not on paper. They probably don?t scare the Celtics at all. But the Heat should be wary of the Knicks come playoff time. The Knicks are a nightmare matchup for the Heat, whose depth and deficiencies at point guard and in the post would be highlighted if they had to square off against the Knicks in a series.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/03/02/blogtable-are-knicks-elite/

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
Well there is always two sides for every story..So here is a different perspective from the other side of it. Someone who actually knows basketball.

I am sure most of you have already seen this article already and its old news, but just showing that not everyone is on board with the above writers (clowns) bashing.

Stan Van Gundy gives Knicks' Carmelo Anthony trade two thumbs up

BY Frank Isola
ORLANDO ? Stan Van Gundy reviewed everything from the Oscars to the Knicks trade for Carmelo Anthony and their reluctance to part with rookie center Timofey Mozgov.
The always entertaining and opinionated Magic head coach gave "The King's Speech", Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups two thumbs up while Mozgov, or better yet reports over Mozgov holding up the 'Melo deal with Denver, a thumbs down.
"I always look at trade like this; it usually comes down to who gets the best player and in my mind New York got the two best players in the trade," Van Gundy said. "I love (Danilo) Gallinari, (Wilson) Chandler and I thought Raymond Felton was playing great.
"It was a little bit funny to me that all the consternation at the end was over Mozgov. No really, 'They can't throw him in.' Okay, he's a good young player but you get Chauncey Billups and Carmelo Anthony. If you're telling me you can't throw in Chandler, you can't throw in Gallinari; I at least would understand the process. But 'well, if we don't give up Mozgov.' I was a little taken aback by that one."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/kn...es-knicks-carmelo-anthony-trade-two-thumbs-up

KnicksFan17

Benchwarmer
I watched a lot of Nuggets games before Melo got traded and let me just say that Melo isn't playing even close to how he's capable of playing. I believe he's shooting under 40% as a Knick and he still scored over 20 in each of his games. They also held their own against quality teams. The best is yet to come.

Knickerbocker201

Benchwarmer
Steve Aschburner: Don’t be ridiculous. I’m prepared to be surprised and even wrong in my expectations for Carmelo Anthony’s impact in New York (I underestimated how well Amar’e Stoudemire would adapt and grow as a leader, for instance). But the Knicks gave up depth in their maneuvers to land him, playoff opponents will be able to thwart their two marvelous scorers when locked in a best-of-seven, Chauncey Billups – wise and solid – still isn’t a great fit playing at Mike D’Antoni’s preferred pace and the Knicks’ defense is a significant step (or two) down from what Boston and Miami plays.
Fran Blinebury: One game and truckload of Miami turnovers doesn’t turn everything around. The Knicks are better, no doubt. Just not ready to take down Boston or Miami in a best-of-seven set yet.
<map id="FPMap0" name="FPMap0"> <area shape="rect" coords="6, 96, 296, 121" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-371"> <area shape="rect" coords="7, 132, 306, 159" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-372"> <area shape="rect" coords="10, 169, 289, 194" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-373"> </map> Scott Howard-Cooper: Please. They’re not in Bulls territory in the East, either. They’re probably not even in Magic territory, the way Orlando is one of the better defensive teams and the Knicks most definitely are not. I don’t think anything has changed from before the trade in that regard. That big win Sunday, by the way, was two days after giving up 115 points and losing to the Cavaliers and just before giving up 116 to the Magic on Tuesday.
Shaun Powell: To hear New Yorkers, you’d think Willis Reed just emerged from that tunnel again. Carmelo and Chauncey brought lots of buzz to the building. And yet the Knicks are no better than a No. 4 or 5 seed. That’s their ceiling, and until they demonstrate better defense over a longer stretch — yeah, I know Amar’e blocked that LeBron layup — you simply can’t trust their chances of going past Round 2 in the playoffs.
John Schuhmann: No. And obviously the difference is defense. The Knicks actually got a defensive win over the Heat on Sunday, but even with their roster upgrades, those won’t come often. And I think that game was more about the Miami offense being stagnant than the New York defense being great. The Knicks are going to win a lot of games with their talent and Mike D’Antoni’s offense, but unless they implement a better defensive system, they’re not going to be a title contender.
Sekou Smith: Not in the standings and not on paper. They probably don’t scare the Celtics at all. But the Heat should be wary of the Knicks come playoff time. The Knicks are a nightmare matchup for the Heat, whose depth and deficiencies at point guard and in the post would be highlighted if they had to square off against the Knicks in a series.

What on here is bashing us?
Its basically saying we need to play defense in order to be a top contending team. and it is true..
I don't get why whenever someone criticizes the Knicks weaknesses our fans instantly think the Knicks are getting bashed..

btw why do you think the Knicks brought back JJ?? for scoring?? lol not more for defense because when he got traded last year it exposed our biggest weakness which was defense and thats something that hasn't changed.. no matter if we get a pg or center, we need to play team defense and not defense whenever we want...

I honestly don't think its bashing but how ever mostly everyone else will

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
I watched a lot of Nuggets games before Melo got traded and let me just say that Melo isn't playing even close to how he's capable of playing. I believe he's shooting under 40% as a Knick and he still scored over 20 in each of his games. They also held their own against quality teams. The best is yet to come.

I've noticed this too, Melo has actually been a bit underwhelming so far. I'm not hating on him, far from it. This actually highlights what a great player he is; imagine when his elbow is back to 100% and he really feels comfortable with his teammates/in the D'Antoni system.

Re: the opinions of the pundits above, I don't think they're bashing at all. They're just providing their analysis of our standing amongst the playoff contenders in the East, after what no one can deny has been a considerable strengthening of our team. They're right in stating that we still have a lot left to prove for people to consider us a legit contender to even make the ECF, especially in the defensive department. No one can doubt our offensive firepower at the moment. Also, you'll notice that one writer opined that we would be a nightmare matchup for the Heat even despite all their firepower, so it's not all bad. :D

Last edited:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Well our defense does seem to be improving... Anthony Carter is a little spit-fire.... Love it. Jeffries should help as well. I don't think we are as good as the Bulls or Celts yet either though.

Still need some more depth and a center.

We will get there... not this year, but probably next.

smokes

Huge Member
Well our defense does seem to be improving... Anthony Carter is a little spit-fire.... Love it. Jeffries should help as well. I don't think we are as good as the Bulls or Celts yet either though.

Still need some more depth and a center.

We will get there... not this year, but probably next.

Thing is our defense could be decent. We do lack a little in size but that only counts against some teams like Orlando of course. Still against the Heat we got killed on the boards and that is not a team that should be out-rebounding us by such distance.

It really is all about defensive effort. I thought the 4th quarter defense from us in the Heat game was excellent however flip it back to the Cavs or Bucks game and our defense was absolutely horrible.

Bring that same intensity from the Heat game day in day out and we are more than capable of beating anyone on any given day.

STAT1

Starter

Completely agree. As Melo becomes more accustomed to playing next to STAT & the other Knicks like Toney Douglas & Landry Fields, he'll be able to find his spots on the floor to get off his shots without messing up the flow on the offense. In DEN he was used a lot in the post which is where STAT gets alot of his touches too. I've seen him & STAT running into one another a lot of times while Chauncey's looking to feed the ball inside, & I've also noticed Toney Douglas & Landry missing several opportunities to dish off to a cutting Melo. These opportunities would have translated to easy points for Melo in DEN playing with guys who are more accustomed to his tendencies on the floor. Chauncey knows him well but he's also trying to get his timing down with STAT & also get off his own offense more in this system than he was in DEN as well, so I think Melo's been forced to go to more isolations while they try & work out the kinks. As MDA runs these guys through practice more they will figure out how best to space everyone on the floor to take advantage of their individual skillsets.

Steve Aschburner: Don’t be ridiculous. I’m prepared to be surprised and even wrong in my expectations for Carmelo Anthony’s impact in New York (I underestimated how well Amar’e Stoudemire would adapt and grow as a leader, for instance). But the Knicks gave up depth in their maneuvers to land him, playoff opponents will be able to thwart their two marvelous scorers when locked in a best-of-seven, Chauncey Billups – wise and solid – still isn’t a great fit playing at Mike D’Antoni’s preferred pace and the Knicks’ defense is a significant step (or two) down from what Boston and Miami plays.
Fran Blinebury: One game and truckload of Miami turnovers doesn’t turn everything around. The Knicks are better, no doubt. Just not ready to take down Boston or Miami in a best-of-seven set yet.
<map id="FPMap0" name="FPMap0"> <area shape="rect" coords="6, 96, 296, 121" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-371"> <area shape="rect" coords="7, 132, 306, 159" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-372"> <area shape="rect" coords="10, 169, 289, 194" href="http://wp.me/pPQKk-373"> </map> Scott Howard-Cooper: Please. They’re not in Bulls territory in the East, either. They’re probably not even in Magic territory, the way Orlando is one of the better defensive teams and the Knicks most definitely are not. I don’t think anything has changed from before the trade in that regard. That big win Sunday, by the way, was two days after giving up 115 points and losing to the Cavaliers and just before giving up 116 to the Magic on Tuesday.
Shaun Powell: To hear New Yorkers, you’d think Willis Reed just emerged from that tunnel again. Carmelo and Chauncey brought lots of buzz to the building. And yet the Knicks are no better than a No. 4 or 5 seed. That’s their ceiling, and until they demonstrate better defense over a longer stretch — yeah, I know Amar’e blocked that LeBron layup — you simply can’t trust their chances of going past Round 2 in the playoffs.
John Schuhmann: No. And obviously the difference is defense. The Knicks actually got a defensive win over the Heat on Sunday, but even with their roster upgrades, those won’t come often. And I think that game was more about the Miami offense being stagnant than the New York defense being great. The Knicks are going to win a lot of games with their talent and Mike D’Antoni’s offense, but unless they implement a better defensive system, they’re not going to be a title contender.
Sekou Smith: Not in the standings and not on paper. They probably don’t scare the Celtics at all. But the Heat should be wary of the Knicks come playoff time. The Knicks are a nightmare matchup for the Heat, whose depth and deficiencies at point guard and in the post would be highlighted if they had to square off against the Knicks in a series.

I read this yesterday. You gotta understand that ppl right now are so anxious to see how we're gonna turn out. Comments will be made game to game right now.. knee jerk reactions that's all they are. They saw how our defense was far from what it was vs Miami and they prematurely judged us after prematurely calling us title contenders after we beat the heat. I wouldn't take anything said in the media to heart..

Hell atleast skip bayless still thought we were legit contenders the day after we lost to the Magic and said he still think's we'll be more dangerous than the Magic come playoff time. He's a fan!:beer:

I have no problem with what these writers wrote, because it's the truth. If our defense doesn't continue to improve, we'll have no chance of beating either Chicago or Boston.

Under D'Antoni; it's no secret that we're one of, if not the most productive offense in all of basketball. We're led by two of the NBA's top 5 scorers.

But defense wins championships during the playoffs. If our defense were a top 10 defensive unit, with our explosive offensive attack... We would become the hands down favorites to make it out of the East.

We're making progress on D' though. We're improving. Before the trade, we only allowed 90 pts or fewer 2 times. We've already allowed less than 90 during 2 of our 1st 5 games since the trade. We were great against Miami & New Orleans, but we weren't consistant against the Bucks, Cavs & Magic (1st & 4th Q's). We just need to become consistant.

Look, we don't have to become Boston or Orlando 'great' on D; we just need to play tough, consistant & make big stop's in pressure situations.

KingCharles34

All Star
I cant believe all the panic and b*tchmade analysts coming sideways at the knicks (not in this article though). Im very happy with where we are right now, the goal was just to make the playoffs this year. Getting Melo did change things, but its still unfair to even say that the knicks should make it to the 2nd round. Who are we gonna have to play in the 1st round? Chicago or Orlando

And how long has this team been together? Fukk off Barkley eat a taco or twenty you fat fukk buy a ring off MJ since you on his dikk and u never got a ring yourself

The Knicks are doing just fine for now

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
If the Knicks could somehow turn back the hands of time and sign MJ in his prime and get Jesus Christ to tag along as well, we'd still get hate in the national media.

In one ear and out the other with two middle fingers raised at 'em. **** the media.

KnicksFan17

Benchwarmer
Completely agree. As Melo becomes more accustomed to playing next to STAT & the other Knicks like Toney Douglas & Landry Fields, he'll be able to find his spots on the floor to get off his shots without messing up the flow on the offense. In DEN he was used a lot in the post which is where STAT gets alot of his touches too. I've seen him & STAT running into one another a lot of times while Chauncey's looking to feed the ball inside, & I've also noticed Toney Douglas & Landry missing several opportunities to dish off to a cutting Melo. These opportunities would have translated to easy points for Melo in DEN playing with guys who are more accustomed to his tendencies on the floor. Chauncey knows him well but he's also trying to get his timing down with STAT & also get off his own offense more in this system than he was in DEN as well, so I think Melo's been forced to go to more isolations while they try & work out the kinks. As MDA runs these guys through practice more they will figure out how best to space everyone on the floor to take advantage of their individual skillsets.
I don't even mind Melo going to an isolation from time to time. Not even Lebron could deal with his quick first step and his strength, so I think he'll have his way with most players. Den also frequently used him in isolation situations and it worked for them for 7 years. His shot has just been off since coming here, but that might have something to do with the bursitis in his elbow. It could also just be a shooting slump.