If Damp signs do we still sign Baker?

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
If Damp did sign the MLE (please Damp please)...we would have Damp, Kurt, Sweet, Nazr and Jerome Williams...would we really need to sign Vin Baker? Couldn't that $$$ go somewhere else?

JJtheKnick

Starter
baker is already signed i think its like for a few years for like 3 mill. so its good we didnot spend so much money on him.

e_D

Benchwarmer
Hmm.. This could be bad, guys.

Erick Dampier may be willing to take the Knicks' $4.9 million mid-level exception ... but is it already gone?

Vin Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford on Thursday that Baker already has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Knicks that starts at $3.5 million -- eating most of New York's mid-level exception.

"Vin is done," Goodwin told Ford. "The [Knicks] mid-level is gone. ... Vin [contract] starts at $3.5 [million], which negates Dampier for mid-level."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1853252

If this is the case I wonder what's going through Isiah's mind..

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
BAker has not SIGNED anything...they always say it will be soon...but Baker was on vacation (or so they say) and nothing is in writing...I bet that the Knicks were waiting to see about Damp...I did read that BAker was signing for the low level exemption (or whatever they call it)...I wouldn't spend any $ on him myself

starpula

Benchwarmer
Vin's agent is trying to scare off Dampier and get his client the MLE. Following the whole Boozer incident, I dont think verbal agreements are worth a crap anymore.

Yeaaa they say taht they afreed to liek mutiyear deal which is under 5 mil which means we now cnt sigh Dampier but they ongly agreen not actauly sighend

JJtheKnick

Starter
if anyone can work this out its isiah. if he says we can get dampier we will get him. i think he is the best GM in the NBA.

6thman

Benchwarmer
OOh guys the Crawford deal was huge!!!!!! Now if we can't get Dampier because of Baker :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

JJtheKnick

Starter
isiah said he wants to get both of them and its his job. also he said that if he wants it to happen he will find away. dampier said he wants to play witha team that can contend for the tittle and the hawks are not ganna do that.

I am excited about the possibility of Dampier signing the one year deal for the mid level excption with the knicks.

The bad news is, he would leave most likely after the year because as I understand the NBA rules, the Knicks would not be able to offer him any more than the mid level again next year. If he has another good year, a number of teams under the cap will offer much more. Even if the Knicks have a few expiring contracts, they are still so far over the cap it makes no difference.

I did read that if Dampier was to sign a 2 year deal with the knicks now, they could offer him a lot more(mabey they own his bird rights then??) like 7 million/season, after the 2nd year. But if he does sign the one year deal, its all but assured all of us NY fans will only enjoy him this season alone.

David

rick700

Rookie
good point about the one year deal. Although you never know maybe they can figure out away to make it worth while for him to stay. As far as the midlevel exception i think it is possible that they blew it or are going to blow it on VB. because VB has the same agent as crawford so there might be an understanding between goodwin (the agent) and thomas that he will sign him. b/c otherwise it doesn't make sense to sign him. Even without damp they still have kurt, sweetney, junkyard and nazi. How many forwards do they need. If they do get damp someone is going to have to sit and if they get vin and damp then 2 people are going to have to sit. Which raises the question which ones?

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
ah ha no worries...

"Although we haven't finalized the contract, what we're talking about would cut into the midlevel," said Goodwin, who's also Crawford's agent.

thank god we need dampier hes not a foward, hes a center and we need a nice center hwo cn rebound and score and stop shaq whoo cn do that???? dampier!!!

ARKATECH

Rookie
Dampier wants to come and NY want's him. That's all that's needed for this situation. With dampier at starting cener and nazi as a back up the knicks are better set at center then most of the nba. With the best 3 guard rotation in the leauge ( damn it feels good to say that ), offensively the knicks are set. Now with our center situation coming together we have to look towards bulding a DEEP team! Detroit is a DEEP team specificaly this year with all the new additions, so the knicks have to follow suit. Baker is a inexpensive addition. And he's a guy with something to prove, so when signed expect him to go hard. Talent, Athletisim, and Depth is the key to a sucessful knicks team. We got the latter two goals down, we now need quality renforcment at all positions to create a championship contender.

JJtheKnick

Starter
TmAc N Knicks4life said:
thank god we need dampier hes not a foward, hes a center and we need a nice center hwo cn rebound and score and stop shaq whoo cn do that???? dampier!!!

first of all thats not happening and isiah even said that dampier cant stop shaq. nobody can. and everything you said before that yea everyone knows what dampier can do thats why we want him.