Greg Oden?

The New York native Greg oden is going to be looking for a shot on any NBA team this offseason and the 7 footer's contract is currently 6mil, his value has certainly dropped and i don't see why we can't offer him a 1 year contract.

Greg is a naturally gifted athlete. Couple that with his height, and throw in his remarkable strength, and you have as dominant a low post player as you can get.

He won't mess up the chemistry and In 24 minutes last year, he averaged 11.1 points. His per 36 minutes stat for scoring are over 16 a game. New York needs another inside scorer to help take the load off Stoudemire.

Oden can score off putbacks, alley-oops, post moves and, on some occasions, a close-range jump shot.

His athleticism and size put together would help him be dominant, and in a fast-paced offense, his per 36 minutes scoring is bound to rise, especially with continued development of his game.

Last year he swatted 2.3 shots on a nightly basis, and his per 36 minute stat for blocks was a staggering 3.5 blocks per game!

To make it clear, that is more than Dwight averages in 36 minutes. He definitely alters many more shots, helping lower opponent field goal percentages.

Unlike Dwight, however, Oden is also a good one-on-one defender. He is able to face-up guard big men, and occasionally, rotate over to guard the open man on the perimeter. His defensive instinct is remarkable, and it helps him a lot.

iJoe

Rotation player
If he could make it through a quarter of a season that is.....

I'm sure any team in the league would be willing to sign him for a very short contract, but I don't see any way the Knicks could get him unless we handicap ourselves with a longer one. That's an extreme gamble that can ruin us for the next few years.

The New York native Greg oden is going to be looking for a shot on any NBA team this offseason and the 7 footer's contract is currently 6mil, his value has certainly dropped and i don't see why we can't offer him a 1 year contract.

Greg is a naturally gifted athlete. Couple that with his height, and throw in his remarkable strength, and you have as dominant a low post player as you can get.

He won't mess up the chemistry and In 24 minutes last year, he averaged 11.1 points. His per 36 minutes stat for scoring are over 16 a game. New York needs another inside scorer to help take the load off Stoudemire.

Oden can score off putbacks, alley-oops, post moves and, on some occasions, a close-range jump shot.

His athleticism and size put together would help him be dominant, and in a fast-paced offense, his per 36 minutes scoring is bound to rise, especially with continued development of his game.

Last year he swatted 2.3 shots on a nightly basis, and his per 36 minute stat for blocks was a staggering 3.5 blocks per game!

To make it clear, that is more than Dwight averages in 36 minutes. He definitely alters many more shots, helping lower opponent field goal percentages.

Unlike Dwight, however, Oden is also a good one-on-one defender. He is able to face-up guard big men, and occasionally, rotate over to guard the open man on the perimeter. His defensive instinct is remarkable, and it helps him a lot.

I'm all for getting him on the cheap and seeing if he's healthy. Who wouldnt want a YOUNG BIG with tremendous upside?

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I'd love to comment about this from some medically informed stand point but I can't as I have no idea what his injury is, I did watch a programme about him but I was barely paying attention at the time (lesson to be had there!).

I love his attitude though. He could be the very center we are screaming out for and if he's available for the right price then why the hell not. I'm pretty sure the Blazers will hold on to him and he seems like the kind of player to me who will want to prove himself there and I hope where ever he might end up he does prove himself because as I say he comes across as a real hardworker who just wants a chance to be the player he knows he can be.

Good luck big man.

tiger0330

Legend
He would be an expensive gamble. He's restricted and the Portland qualifying offer will be a 1 year 8M deal. If it was for the vets min like with Jonathan Bender it would be one thing but it would probably take a multi-year deal of about 16M for the Blazers not to match.

I think he's done to tell you the truth, the guy has glass knees and the Knicks do not want any part of a guy like that after Alan Houston.

KingofNy

Starter
He would be an expensive gamble. He's restricted and the Portland qualifying offer will be a 1 year 8M deal. If it was for the vets min like with Jonathan Bender it would be one thing but it would probably take a multi-year deal of about 16M for the Blazers not to match.

I think he's done to tell you the truth, the guy has glass knees and the Knicks do not want any part of a guy like that after Alan Houston.

Isiah would sign him to a long term deal in a second...lol

All joking aside I think I'd rather us spend the money on Deandre Jordan if for some reason Antoni is our coach next season. If Antoni is gone I think our new coach will be defensive minded and pretty much any big he gets
will be a good fit because they won't be limited by a run-and-gun, solely offensive focused system.
Most NBA coaches (other than Antoni) can build their systems around their players, rather than constantly searching for players that might fit the system.

Here's a trivia question... When is the last time an NBA team won a title while being in the bottom-5 in the league in defense? I'm pretty sure most of you guys already know the answer to this but with the amount of Antoni homers here, who know's.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Isiah would sign him to a long term deal in a second...lol

All joking aside I think I'd rather us spend the money on Deandre Jordan if for some reason Antoni is our coach next season. If Antoni is gone I think our new coach will be defensive minded and pretty much any big he gets
will be a good fit because they won't be limited by a run-and-gun, solely offensive focused system.
Most NBA coaches (other than Antoni) can build their systems around their players, rather than constantly searching for players that might fit the system.

Here's a trivia question... When is the last time an NBA team won a title while being in the bottom-5 in the league in defense? I'm pretty sure most of you guys already know the answer to this but with the amount of Antoni homers here, who know's.

I agree with you all the way on this topic King. I would like a more defensive minded coach personally as well as defense wins championships. It would be nice to bring back the attitude of the 90's Knicks and some guys already seem to be able to fit that mold like TD and Fields.

As for Oden, I would like the Knicks to take a waiver on him as his upside is huge. Problem is it seems that to have a chance at him we would be looking at around 8 mil a year for atleast a year or two, which IMO is too high a price to take a chance on someone with bad knees.

Either way, the Knicks need to get bigger and stronger inside. Hopefully they can find some bigmen in FA or in the draft to help fill these needs if D'Antoni sticks around hopefully he will be willing to go this route rather than going with a smaller, quicker lineup.

KingofNy

Starter
I agree with you all the way on this topic King. I would like a more defensive minded coach personally as well as defense wins championships. It would be nice to bring back the attitude of the 90's Knicks and some guys already seem to be able to fit that mold like TD and Fields.

As for Oden, I would like the Knicks to take a waiver on him as his upside is huge. Problem is it seems that to have a chance at him we would be looking at around 8 mil a year for atleast a year or two, which IMO is too high a price to take a chance on someone with bad knees.

Either way, the Knicks need to get bigger and stronger inside. Hopefully they can find some bigmen in FA or in the draft to help fill these needs if D'Antoni sticks around hopefully he will be willing to go this route rather than going with a smaller, quicker lineup.

Yea Papz, we pretty much think alike when it comes to a lot of stuff Knicks. How much do you think is the max we should be willing to spend on a injury-risk like Oden? I think any of us here would be happy just having a big. The problem as you outlined above is Antoni doesn't want bigs as he likes his small lineups.

There were plenty of bigs available after the trade deadline and who did we get? We got Jeffries who is a 6'11 defender that can't block shots, rebound or even have the ball in his hands on offense without dribbling off his feet or getting blocked 10 times down low and a 6'8 Derrick Brown that has already been outcasted to Antoni island because he doesn't fit Antoni's mold. There was a decent list of available bigs we could of seriously made a move for and those two scrubs are the best we can get for our playoff run? Give me a break. This organization will be better when Antoni's gone. Seriously...

Also, how many decent players have come to this organization the last 3 years only to ride the pine until they finally worked their way out of here via trade/release/FA and then go to their new team and end up being a pretty damn good player? Again I could list at least 5. Antoni needs to go so we can finally start getting some real bigs and make a real run at the playoffs. We're never going to win the championship with Antoni, it's not happening.

So everyone dreaming of getting guys like Oden or a down and dirty Center this offseason to fill the paint, don't count on it if Antoni is still our coach. We'll end up with another guy that mimics Shawne Williams or JJ. That is the sad reality of our coach. It's his system or the highway.

I think any of us here would be happy just having a big. The problem as you outlined above is Antoni doesn't want bigs as he likes his small lineups.

There were plenty of bigs available after the trade deadline and who did we get? We got Jeffries who is a 6'11 defender that can't block shots, rebound or even have the ball in his hands on offense without dribbling off his feet or getting blocked 10 times down low and a 6'8 Derrick Brown that has already been outcasted to Antoni island because he doesn't fit Antoni's mold. There was a decent list of available bigs we could of seriously made a move for and those two scrubs are the best we can get for our playoff run? Give me a break. This organization will be better when Antoni's gone. Seriously...

Also, how many decent players have come to this organization the last 3 years only to ride the pine until they finally worked their way out of here via trade/release/FA and then go to their new team and end up being a pretty damn good player? Again I could list at least 5. Antoni needs to go so we can finally start getting some real bigs and make a real run at the playoffs. We're never going to win the championship with Antoni, it's not happening.

So everyone dreaming of getting guys like Oden or a down and dirty Center this offseason to fill the paint, don't count on it if Antoni is still our coach. We'll end up with another guy that mimics Shawne Williams or JJ. That is the sad reality of our coach. It's his system or the highway.
:agreed: I couldn't have said it better myself +1

petescud

Starter
Praying Dantoni is gone after this season....Praying Dolan and puppets pick a better replacement....Praying Dolan picks another hobby and sells the team....Praying Knicks chick finds me in Florida and rides.....Praying we find a competent center whose doesn't have glass knees:boohoo:

KingofNy

Starter
Praying Dantoni is gone after this season....Praying Dolan and puppets pick a better replacement....Praying Dolan picks another hobby and sells the team....Praying Knicks chick finds me in Florida and rides.....Praying we find a competent center whose doesn't have glass knees:boohoo:

LOL...Hilarious! :teeth: