crawford a knick and its final.......

JJtheKnick

Starter
ok its over we got crawford. hail isiah..

Trade Harrington, Mutombo, Trybanski, and Williams to Chicago
Knicks Acquire Crawford and Williams Jamal Crawford

NBAE/Getty Images
NEW YORK, August 5, 2004 -- New York Knickerbockers President, Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas announced today that restricted free agent guard Jamal Crawford has been acquired in a sign-and-trade deal, with the addition of forward Jerome Williams, from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for forward Othella Harrington, guard Frank Williams, and centers Dikembe Mutombo and Cezary Trybanski.

Crawford, 6-5, 190-pounds, averaged 17.3 points and 5.1 assists in 80 games - including 71 starts - for the Bulls this past season. His 165 three-point field goals in 2003-04 broke the franchise?s record and he was one of just four players last season to record at least 50 points in a single game (50 points, Apr. 11 at Toronto). Originally selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round (eighth overall) of the 2000 NBA Draft and then traded to Chicago on Sep. 25, 2000, the four-year NBA veteran has improved his scoring, rebounding and assist averages in each season.

?Our goal is to win the NBA Championship - and we think the additions of Jamal and Jerome will be important pieces of that puzzle,? Thomas said. ?Both players have the winning mentality to succeed as Knick players. Jamal has the ability to play both guard positions, and adds an additional scoring punch alongside Allan and Stephon. Jerome is a proven, rugged veteran with playoff experience who will provide us consistency on a nightly basis.?

Jerome Williams
NBAE/Getty Images
Williams, 6-9, 206-pounds, averaged 6.2 points and 7.0 rebounds in 68 games - including 44 starts - for the Toronto Raptors and Bulls this past season. The eight-year NBA veteran has career averages of 6.9 points and 6.8 rebounds in 508 games for three different teams.

?Both Jamal and Jerome are quality veterans that will fit very nicely into our system,? Head Coach Lenny Wilkens said. ?Jamal is an outstanding talent that solidifies our backcourt and Jerome is a high-energy athletic player that loves to hustle on the court.?

Harrington, 6-9, 235-pounds, averaged 4.6 points and 3.2 rebounds in 56 games - including three starts - for the Knicks this past season. Originally acquired on Jan. 30, 2001 from the Vancouver Grizzlies, the eight-year NBA veteran has career averages of 8.5 points and 5.2 rebounds in 463 games. For New York over the past 3½ seasons, the Jackson, MS-native appeared in 237 games to average 6.8 points and 4.6 rebounds.

Helll yeaaaaaaaaaaa we pulled it offf, i love Isiah now al he needs to do is get Dampier which we Probaly are bc now ge got Crawford and he loves NY damnnn i cant wait til 1st game, Isiah is our gman he turned Knicks around in a year from worst to best

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
I think Jerome Williams, the Junkyard Dog, will be a great piece to the Knicks. He's a PF/C, 6-9, and can rebound the hell out of the ball. He's an average scorer, but scoring won't really be needed of him, as a Knick.
If Dampier doesn't sign and there is no trade for him, the front court would look like this and is still strong, especially in the East.
Kurt/Nazr/Sweetney
Williams/Baker/Sweetney

JJtheKnick

Starter
it we sign dampier.

PG-marbury
SG-houston
SF- T. thomas
PF-kurt thomas
C-dampier

bench- crawford, hardaway, baker, sweetney, Mohammed, Trevor Ariza, Anderson, norris and Jerome Williams.

hey with that team i think we can go all the way (maybe)

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
Here are some pics of the new Knicks

capt.xsr20308062338.knicks_xsr203.jpg

capt.08062239.knicks_.jpg

capt.xsr20608062319.knicks_xsr206.jpg

capt.08062251.knicks_bulls_trade_.jpg

capt.xsr20408062321.knicks_xsr204.jpg

e_D

Benchwarmer
lol I love how Jerome Williams has a shirt that says Junkyard Dog, nice advertisement. :lol:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think Isiah Thomas only looks at people's point per game average, cause it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Crawford was not going to be a good fit. He's always been a bad defender, has been a ball hog all his career, till Larry Brown straightened him out,averages more 3's attempted than free throw attempts, and shot 38% from the field at the time the Knicks traded for him.He also did this with the Richardson trade, signing someone who shot 38% and attempted 612 3's in 1 season alone.And he traded for Eddy Curry, who averaged 16 points a game, but shot a bad ft%, under a block per game, and had no rebounding.And he signed Steve Francis, who was making 16 million a year, even though he average 16 ppg at the time.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think Isiah Thomas only looks at people's point per game average, cause it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Crawford was not going to be a good fit. He's always been a bad defender, has been a ball hog all his career, till Larry Brown straightened him out,averages more 3's attempted than free throw attempts, and shot 38% from the field at the time the Knicks traded for him.He also did this with the Richardson trade, signing someone who shot 38% and attempted 612 3's in 1 season alone.And he traded for Eddy Curry, who averaged 16 points a game, but shot a bad ft%, under a block per game, and had no rebounding.And he signed Steve Francis, who was making 16 million a year, even though he average 16 ppg at the time.

I will actually criticize Marbury for a change, before 06-07 he was maybe a little bit above average defensively. Why would Isiah bring in a couple more guys to start like Eddy and Jamal who cant play any defense? Alot of fans are the same way, they think a player who averages alot of points is a good player forgetting to acknowledge the significance of defense. To me defense is more important then offense, but you need both to win. Isiah is just another fan who only looks at offensive statistics, and another example would be Zach Randolph. Did he honestly expect this to work?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
haha if only we could have seen what hed be today!

Great Find NicksKnicks, this has gotta be the find of the week. Too bad more current members didnt post in this thread, it would be funny to see what they gotta say now. At the same time, Im guilty of believing in Crawford. I thought that Larry Brown would help him out defensivley, but I was wrong. I thought the added muscle would also help him out, I was wrong again. Dont get it twisted, I never thought he could be anymore then an average defender but its lookin like he will be a career bum on defense and arguably on offense, his shooting %'s have always been ugly.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I knew the Zach Randolph deal was a bad idea, the minute he did it. That's why when I saw all those commercials with the guy that told the Celtics to look up "formidable", I felt like telling him,"you don't know what you're saying. Randolph has no defense. This is a bad deal." lol What Isiah should've done was trade Frye for a good defender. Or trade Curry for Jermaine O' Neal or Pau Gasol(who were unhappy with their teams at the time).There would've been a salary differencial, but you could've thrown in Malik Rose or Quentin Richardson to make up the salary cap.

paris401

Starter
Or trade Curry for Jermaine O' Neal or Pau Gasol(who were unhappy with their teams at the time).There would've been a salary differencial, but you could've thrown in Malik Rose or Quentin Richardson to make up the salary cap.

what makes u think that either team wants 'wide-load'.. both teams are small market teams, hence $$$ and salary caps mean something to them , unlike dolan who prints $$$.. and if u are indy or memphis and trading your franchise player, that puts u in the rebuilding mode, and who in their rite mind would consider building a team around wide-load... besides isiah...

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I think one of the most misleading things about stats is that people think they are somehow cumulative.

By that, I mean if Player A is averaging 18 PPG and you bring in Player B that is averaging 20 PPG, that doesn't always translate into 38.

There are a limited number of possessions, shots, rebound possibilities etc... per team per game. In most cases, when you add someone that is very good at something, you subtract that same thing from other players and net out to only a small increase.

The most obvious example is Zach.

We added a big scorer and rebounder, but on the Knicks he can't take as many shots as he did with Portland. So his numbers are down a little. However, he is taking more shots than Frye did, so he is eating into the scoring numbers of Curry and others.

The same is true of rebounding.

If you look at the production of Curry/Frye/Lee last year VS. the production of Curry/Lee/Zach this year over 48 minutes, there has only been a slight increase in scoring and rebounding from the Center/PF positions over 48 minutes.

Then you still have to think about defense, TOs, assists, and other intangibles.

I agree with the others on this thread that said Isiah tends to focus on players with good scoring averages without really appreciating the above or the other aspects of being a good player.

Here's another observation about rebounding stats.

You can only get a rebound when a player misses.

If you are a really crappy shooting team, that automatically translates into more misses in your games than in games with teams with great shooters. So lousy shooting teams tend to get slightly better rebounding stats than they deserve because they are going to have the opportunity to grab a few extra offensive boards.

If a team plays a slow paced style, that will automatically translate into fewer shots per game and fewer rebound possibilities relative to a team that is running and gunning.

There are lots of examples like this.

Stats are very tricky.