If not MDA... Then which coach would you like to see become NY's next head coach?

I just feel MDA deserves a chance during the offseason to improve this team. When MDA took this job not even 3 years ago, we all knew 4 things had to happen before NY could seriously compete. Get out of the cap hell, scrap & turn over the entire roster, land two superstars & replace Curry (contract) with our 1st true C' since Ewing. We've completed 75% of out team goals in 2 1/2 years. I just feel MDA deserves at least a chance to land either Jordan, Nene, Dalembert or Gasol during the offseason to complete the team. Add a BIG for cheap such as a Camby type & we're contenders. Just as example: Dalembert, Stoudemire, Camby & JJ. Thats a stout NBA Front-Line. No matter what happens during the offseason, if MDA fails to compete for a top 3 seed out of the East next year; I'll agree it's time to move on. But I'm willing to give him a chance with an offseason (with a good team) before running him out of town. A trip to the playoffs would be a step in the right dirrection for MDA, these players & our franchise.

Anyone who preaches and demands his teams play D.. This team is gonna score so I don't even care if the next coach we get isn't an offensive genius.. We just need someone whose gonna constantly get in our guys ass (no homo) about playing the defensive end of the floor with 100% effort for a full 48 minutes.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Anyone who preaches and demands his teams play D.. This team is gonna score so I don't even care if the next coach we get isn't an offensive genius.. We just need someone whose gonna constantly get in our guys ass (no homo) about playing the defensive end of the floor with 100% effort for a full 48 minutes.

+1 fam! I couldnt of said it better!!!

Lets be realistic too.

Phil Jackson will never leave a Dynasty Lakers Franchise the Knicks. Not when he has Kobe & a chance to land Dwight Howard in 2012 to form the greatest NBA front line of all-time.

Riley won't be coming to NY anytime soon. Not before coaching his Miami Heat team first (thats if he ever comes back to coaching again).

Tom won't be leaving Chicago anytime soon. Not when they've formed a top 3 Eastern Conf team led by a top 3 PG in Rose with guys such as Noah, Boozer etc, etc who all form for a very deep team.

Popovich won't be leaving the Spurs for New York either. At least not anytime soon (next year).

Call me crazy; but I wouldn't mind having Ewing as our head coach.

I think Ewing would be a great fit; especially if we land some BIG's. Could you imagine Ewing working with Amare on a one to one basis? Ewing has done wonders for both Yao in HOU & now Howard in ORL. He's also learned behind two pretty good coaches in HOU & ORL.

Ewing would also be respected by every Knicks player.

Since I'm willing to give MDA a full offseason, plenty of practices & a full preseason to improve this team (plus the Center position) I have another idea...

Find a strong defensive assistant during the offseason. Herb Williams isn't the answer.

Some may say MDA's pride would get in the way, but MDA cant take the blame for that. Walsh is the GM & Dolan is the owner. MDA would have no choice if one of either Walsh or Dolan steps up to the plate & lands us a strong defensive assistant.

The question is... Would a guy like Jeff Van Gundy allow his pride to get in the way in terms of becoming an assistant? If he loves NY & the Knicks enough it shouldn't.

MDA working with the Knicks offense & only having to focus on how to imrpove our offensive attack; with JVG working with our defense on a nightly basis, while putting plays together from the sidelines? I'd love to see it.

MDA & JVG are two different coaches, two different styles, but together? It could work for the better.

D'antoni doesn't want a defensive assistant dude.. He want to get it done his way. Someone once suggested a defensive assistant to Mike and he scuffed at the idea.

If MDA doesn't "want'' a defensive assistant that that falls on both Walsh & Dolan. They control what happens... Not MDA. Add a strong assistant & if MDA leaves & quits... Problem solved for the MDA haters.

Also... Send me a link to MDA saying he wouldn't love a great defensive assistant coach. He's never said such a thing.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
If MDA doesn't "want'' a defensive assistant that that falls on both Walsh & Dolan. They control what happens... Not MDA. Add a strong assistant & if MDA leaves & quits... Problem solved for the MDA haters.

Also... Send me a link to MDA saying he wouldn't love a great defensive assistant coach. He's never said such a thing.

I put a quote in it one of the articles. They (PHX) wanted to get a defensive coach... he said: "No." I'll make my brother the defensive coach. I don't really care to look for it, but he said it. If you search for it you will find it.

I would throw every spare dollar at Phil Jackson and even have a telathon on MSG that lasts from the end of the season to July 1st to collect money to pay him.

If that didnt work I'd bring back Jeff Van Gundy, get Ewing, Oakley, N Herb as assistants, and would have Clyde working with Toney Doulgas.

iJoe

Rotation player
Rick Adelman for sure would be my number one available pick as his contract with the Rockets may be ending. His teams are always underrated on defense and I like his offense much more than Dantoni's.

JVG would be nice, but he's enjoying broadcasting too much.

Any other coach has too little experience or is just not available. You don't want a first timer coaching Melo and Amare.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Rick Adelman.

Why? Look at the team he has, the conference they're in, and their record. He's never had the most athletic tea

He gets the best out of all his players. He has freaking 6'6 Chuck Hayes at center and it's working for them. Surely not the best option but he's getting by.

He coaches terrific Portland, Sacramento (who got screwed by the refs out of a ring), and Houston teams. He knows both ends of the floor well and his time is ending in Houston.

Plus, he hasn't beaten Phil Jackson...yet hopefully.

I think he's more than perfect for us.

la2ny

Starter
Rick Adelman.

Why? Look at the team he has, the conference they're in, and their record. He's never had the most athletic tea

He gets the best out of all his players. He has freaking 6'6 Chuck Hayes at center and it's working for them. Surely not the best option but he's getting by.

He coaches terrific Portland, Sacramento (who got screwed by the refs out of a ring), and Houston teams. He knows both ends of the floor well and his time is ending in Houston.

Most definetly. I'd love Rick as our coach! Anyone think this has a legit shot at happening?

TakMan

Rotation player
Ideally I'd go for JVG. I reckon he has unfinished business to attend to. Otherwise I think Nate McMillan would be a good choice. Top defender in his days and has had a tremendous impact on the Trailblazers (A consistently over-performing team).

Ideally I'd go for JVG. I reckon he has unfinished business to attend to. Otherwise I think Nate McMillan would be a good choice. Top defender in his days and has had a tremendous impact on the Trailblazers (A consistently over-performing team).
Nate McMillan already signed an extension with portland, its a shame i would've loved him as our coach.

Rick Adelman.

Idk i heard he has no emphasis on defense, and i know a bunch of Houston fans that say his defense sucks, i don't want a Mike D'antoni 2.0

Last edited: