Just some reasons why the Knicks aren't playing as championship contenders this year;

(Chemistry & team experience)

Before the trade, NY had 4 starters who weren't on the roster last year in Felton, Fields, Amare & Mozgov. Gallo was our only returning starter. (2 Rookies)

After the trade? NY now has 5 starters who weren't with us last year. 3 of our 5 starters have only been here for 12 or fewer games.

These situations make it next to impossible for a team to compete on a consistant basis without the much needed practice time to GEL as a unit.

We aren't a "team" as of right now; we're a team thats trying to learn how to become a better team. It takes time.

Gaining the much needed playoff experience could become huge for NY. After a full offseason of training camp, a boat load of offseason practices, along with an entire preseason of working together, as a team; we should be ready to contend next year. Especially if we upgrade in talent over Jeffries, Turiaf & Shelden @ the Center position.

We're expected to bring back 4 returning starters next year in Billups, Fields, Melo & Amare. .

nuckles2k2

Superstar
The Knicks were never going to be championship contenders this season. That was kind of the problem all along, too many people were looking for a title this year...even with getting Melo, we were never winning a chip this season. The problem right now isn't about gelling or playing well, but the team is developing bad habits.

The same bad habits that were present last season, and the season before. That has very little to do with who's on the roster and more to do with who's either watching these habits, doesn't notice the bad habits, or sees them as acceptable, that's the problem...and that's the dude who's directing the collection of players, whoever they may be. You can't blame a lack of cohesion and not gelling, when new players (free agents, draftees, and players acquired via trade) all show the same mind-boggling, blood-boiling, bone head habits that were displayed when they were all on different teams or still in college.

That's the coach coaching, or lack there of.

Last edited:
This thread had nothing to do with the coach & everything to do with the roster... Plenty of other thread to bash MDA in no?

Can you find me one team in the NBA... Thats starting 5 starters who weren't with their current team last year?

Can you find me one team thats starting 3 starters who's only been with their respected team for 12 games or less? or better yet;

Can you find me one team thats heading to the playoffs with 5 starters who weren't with their team last year?

The bottom line is this: We came into the season with 4 new starters who weren't even on the team last year. We're now starting 5 players who were all on different rosters last season.

Next year, after we gain the much needed playoff experience as a team this year... We're expected to enter the season with 4 returning starters in Billups, Fields, Melo & Amare.

4 returning starters is a HUGE difference when compared to 0. Fields will no longer be a rookie either.

We're making the playoffs with a team experience of... ZERO...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yea but in the thread title I see "championship contenders" and then in the thread you're talking about 5 new starters and gelling as if basketball players have learning deficiencies and can't execute the coach's gameplans. I don't buy it. The 07-08 Celtics only had two returning starters, Pierce and Perkins...and they had some turnover in their roster as well and that led to the "rough gelling period" of an 8-0 start, which led to 11-1, then 20-2, which led to 29-3....they only lost 16 games all season.

Your entire argument is about the team not playing as well as they possibly can, which we all agree with...but while you've seem to have bought into the "ESPN analyst" excuse of new teammates having to gel, I look at teams who've had turnover in the roster and look at how they overcome that...by disrupting the other team's offense. And if our coach doesn't gameplan, implement, and practice that...well those "growing pains" of new teammates becomes even more obvious.

P.S.

The current Knicks problems, are the same problems that were present before. The only difference now is the excuse, back then it was "well MDA has a weak roster, we're shedding salary to prepare for the future" which was a legit reason for the losing, not so much for the ineptitude on the defensive end. Now the excuse is "wait, wait, wait....we just got these guys...give it some time..." which still doesn't explain why basic fundamentals that you learn in pee-wee leagues like "keep your hands up" aren't being stressed. Don't tell me that STAT, Melo, and Fields, all have to play on the same team for a season and a half before they realize that keeping your hands down at your side creates easier passing lanes even if you stay in front of your man, hands up!!

Duhon did it, Q-Rich did it, Crawford did it, Lee did it, STAT is doing it, Fields does it, and so does Williams.

We don't create tougher passing angles, and we don't seal off forays into the paint, we don't play good team defense, therefore we don't play like championship contenders. It's one thing to play like contenders but not have all of the talent and depth needed (Blazers) and it's another thing to play like a bunch of assholes who've never been coached or stepped foot onto a basketball court in their entire lives (the majority of Knicks games under MDA.)

Let's say when next season begins Melo, Amar'e, Fields, Billups, etc all know each other like the back of their hands...they're finishing each other's sentences they know each other so well, we get a defensive minded big who actually gets playing time, and MDA is still the coach. We will let penetrator after penetrator get to the rim and get that big in foul trouble, because we don't create tougher driving angles or passing angles...we make it so easy...at that point...with our gelled up team...we still wouldn't be playing like championship contenders.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Yea but in the thread title I see "championship contenders" and then in the thread you're talking about 5 new starters and gelling as if basketball players have learning deficiencies and can't execute the coach's gameplans. I don't buy it. The 07-08 Celtics only had two returning starters, Pierce and Perkins...and they had some turnover in their roster as well and that led to the "rough gelling period" of an 8-0 start, which led to 11-1, then 20-2, which led to 29-3....they only lost 16 games all season.

Your entire argument is about the team not playing as well as they possibly can, which we all agree with...but while you've seem to have bought into the "ESPN analyst" excuse of new teammates having to gel, I look at teams who've had turnover in the roster and look at how they overcome that...by disrupting the other team's offense. And if our coach doesn't gameplan, implement, and practice that...well those "growing pains" of new teammates becomes even more obvious.

P.S.

The current Knicks problems, are the same problems that were present before. The only difference now is the excuse, back then it was "well MDA has a weak roster, we're shedding salary to prepare for the future" which was a legit reason for the losing, not so much for the ineptitude on the defensive end. Now the excuse is "wait, wait, wait....we just got these guys...give it some time..." which still doesn't explain why basic fundamentals that you learn in pee-wee leagues like "keep your hands up" aren't being stressed. Don't tell me that STAT, Melo, and Fields, all have to play on the same team for a season and a half before they realize that keeping your hands down at your side creates easier passing lanes even if you stay in front of your man, hands up!!

Duhon did it, Q-Rich did it, Crawford did it, Lee did it, STAT is doing it, Fields does it, and so does Williams.

We don't create tougher passing angles, and we don't seal off forays into the paint, we don't play good team defense, therefore we don't play like championship contenders. It's one thing to play like contenders but not have all of the talent and depth needed (Blazers) and it's another thing to play like a bunch of assholes who've never been coached or stepped foot onto a basketball court in their entire lives (the majority of Knicks games under MDA.)

Let's say when next season begins Melo, Amar'e, Fields, Billups, etc all know each other like the back of their hands...they're finishing each other's sentences they know each other so well, we get a defensive minded big who actually gets playing time, and MDA is still the coach. We will let penetrator after penetrator get to the rim and get that big in foul trouble, because we don't create tougher driving angles or passing angles...we make it so easy...at that point...with our gelled up team...we still wouldn't be playing like championship contenders.

:agreed: +1

Well, all I know is this... Since you MDA haters blame MDA for each & every loss; you all better give this man nothing but credit for leading this team to a 6-2 record against winning teams sice the trade.

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer

Well you also have to consider they had all training camp and preseason to gain/form the chemistry they did.

Well, all I know is this... Since you MDA haters blame MDA for each & every loss; you all better give this man nothing but credit for leading this team to a 6-2 record against winning teams sice the trade.

I was going to bed, then I seen this. :teeth: Are you delusional?

The Knicks have as much or more talent than any team in the eastern conference. Winning against teams that present a challenge is expected.

BUT...

Losing to teams that have no business being in the same building as you is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Now tell me again what credit MDA deserves for going 1-5 against the dregs of the league...

Now I'll sleep...

Exactly. That BOS team had an entire offseason of training camp, 35+ practices as well as an entire preseason of working together.

MDA only has two starters on the team that had full offseasons in Fields (rookie) & Amare. Melo, Billups & JJ have only been here for 14 or fewer games; with no more than 3 practices in.

Also, you made yourself sound pretty damn foolish when talking about the C's. You know, a team that featured two returning starters in Pierce & Perkins. Nice try bro; but epic fail.

The question was: Find me a team that had 5 starters; Who weren't with their respected team the year before. You failed to do so...

Instead? You list a REAL franchise/team LEADER for BOS & future HOF player in Pierce, as well as a true C' in Perkins? Sorry, but no; try again.

MDA is 1 of only 3 NBA coaches (All-Time) that took over for a 50+ loss team followed by a 60+ win team the following season. Once MDA has a full offseason with this team you'll see 60+ W's next year. This offseason we'll land a legit C'.