Marcus Cousin

finestrg

Rotation player
Cousin was just cut by Utah last Friday -- this is exactly what I was hoping for. I thought for sure Utah would offer him a 2nd 10-day contract insuring him to remain with Utah for the rest of the year. Didn't happen. He was never called up to actually play -- like many callups, he was just a placeholder/insurance policy for an injuried player a team was waiting to get back, in this case Paul Millsap. I figured we'd have to wait for the offseason to have a chance at him but he just became available..JUMP ON THIS GUY Donnie! If we don't someone else will...He hasn't gone back to the Austin Toros as of yet---tells me some NBA team(s) out there is probably talking to him. I can only hope it's us..

I see a very polished center prospect here--seen it a few times now with my own eyes..Almost right at 7' in shoes, extremely sturdy somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 lbs, he can man up and play physical, he's a solid rebounder, enough of a shot-blocking threat to be a factor and cause distruption and he actually has a very nice finesse game---some post moves and dude can flat out bury mid-range jumpers with the best of big men I've ever seen with that particular skill..Plus he's about 80% or so at the FT line..Not much the kid can't do..I think he's the best kept secret in the NBA right now to be perfectly honest. To me, he's a combination of Jordan Hill & Al Horford skill-wise. This dude would be a phenomenal get for us on the cheap..Perfect next to Amar'e & Melo. PERFECT. I honestly don't think he needs much development at all..I see a guy that's ready to go and ready to contribute at the NBA level..We wouldn't need to look any further for help in the middle if we ever got our hands on this guy. Open up a roster spot and go get him! Make it happen. I'd offer him the rest of this year & a full contract for next season (in the 800K range). Dude would really improve our frontcourt.. I'd guarantee him the at least 30 mins a night, maybe even the starting C spot.

Last edited:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Cousin was just cut by Utah last Friday -- this is exactly what I was hoping for. I thought for sure Utah would offer him a 2nd 10-day contract insuring him to remain with Utah for the rest of the year. Didn't happen. He was never called up to actually play -- like many callups, he was just a placeholder/insurance policy for an injuried player a team was waiting to get back, in this case Paul Millsap. I figured we'd have to wait for the offseason to have a chance at him but he just became available..JUMP ON THIS GUY Donnie! If we don't someone else will...He hasn't gone back to the Austin Toros as of yet---tells me some NBA team(s) out there is probably talking to him. I can only hope it's us..

I see a very polished center prospect here--seen it a few times now with my own eyes..Almost right at 7' in shoes, extremely sturdy somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 lbs, he can man up and play physical, he's a solid rebounder, enough of a shot-blocking threat to be a factor and cause distruption and he actually has a very nice finesse game---some post moves and dude can flat out bury mid-range jumpers with the best of big men I've ever seen with that particular skill..Plus he's about 80% or so at the FT line..Not much the kid can't do..I think he's the best kept secret in the NBA right now to be perfectly honest. To me, he's a combination of Jordan Hill & Al Horford skill-wise. This dude would be a phenomenal get for us on the cheap..Perfect next to Amar'e & Melo. PERFECT. I honestly don't think he needs much development at all..I see a guy that's ready to go and ready to contribute at the NBA level..We wouldn't need to look any further for help in the middle if we ever got our hands on this guy. Open up a roster spot and go get him! Make it happen. I'd offer him the rest of this year & a full contract for next season (in the 800K range). Dude would really improve our frontcourt.. I'd guarantee him the at least 30 mins a night, maybe even the starting C spot.

Co-sign Finestrg.

8FOR!3

Rookie
I disapprove, need this guy back in Austin ASAP so he can be a future Spur. It kind of kills me inside that my team's got Chris Quinn on the main roster, but we let Marcus Cousin sit around in the D-League and get picked up by Utah. In all honesty though ya'll should probably give him a chance, he's a good talent.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
He looks pretty good and would certainly give us a decent chance to develop a young talent in a position we desperately need.

We won`t go for him though. He can defend and rebound so basically D`Antoni would hate him.

finestrg

Rotation player
I agree with you guys, D'Antoni probably wouldn't play him.. :shrug:

How 'bout this from Marc Berman's twitter:

Source says Knicks have decided not to make move on FA C Earl Barron for now despite center urgency. For now. 3 minutes ago via web

Earl Barron is officially a free agent. Again, Walsh likes him. D'Antoni unsure if he'd play him. Sort of like Derrick Brown. 34 minutes ago via web

Tell me that's not awesome..Wouldn't you just kill for an explanation from either Walsh or Mike, esp. Mike? I mean why wouldn't you play Earl Barron you idiot?? Did he not perform well the first time you had him? Does this guy honestly believe Jared Jeffries is a better big man than Marcus Cousin or Earl Barron? Seriously fellas, I'm done with D'Antoni..Get this guy outta here and lets get a fresh perspective..

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
finestrg for the record I would love to take a chance on Marcus Cousin...

Me too bro..There's a lot of talent there for a good price. :thumbsup:

To me, now thru the draft and the rest of the offseason right up to game one next year, you tinker with this w/o adding significant salary. Summer of 2012 is when I'd look to make my big splash, whether it's for a top PG or something else, and I'd manage the cap the best I could working toward that goal..But make no mistake, there's plenty we can do to improve on the cheap provided we're keeping our eyes open and are open to the possibilities..In the meantime, I'd jump all over a guy like Cousin. HUGE UPGRADE over Jeffries and an upgrade over Turiaf, bottom line. Barron too, although I like Cousin better..Dude can play..What can't he do? 7', skilled offensively (tremendous jumper from 15-18'), good solid rebounder, he's a good enough athlete that can get up and down the court and he can block a shot or two and help protect the rim. Young and he'd come dirt cheap..We signed a complete unknown quantity in Timmy Mozgov for about $2.5--2.7M a season for 3 seasons and he flopped..This guy's the better talent and we could get him for a fraction of that cost..I don't get why we're not interested, even if we just picked him up for the rest of the year for peanuts w/o a longer committment. Whatever, so we'd have to clear a roster spot..Big deal. You do it. :wtf:

Last edited:

petescud

Starter
Cousin would be an awesome pickup...Dantoni is gone after the season...Thank God...The guy has a limited open mind about players

la2ny

Starter
yeah Im still facepalming about not signing Barron and now I will double facepalm because of Cousin

moneyg

Starter
yeah Im still facepalming about not signing Barron and now I will double facepalm because of Cousin

but we got derrick brown who gets no minutes behind all the SF's on our roster.. if Oantoni got Marcus.. he would have to validat playin him.. same as baron....this guy is too stuborn and needs to go. even if Marcus gave us 20 minute 7 rebounds 6 points and a block or two with solid defense. thats ok.. whay are we looking for a superstar big... these are the guys that turn into a ben wallace or kendrick perkins... but our coach has no time for that style of play....

finestrg

Rotation player
but we got derrick brown who gets no minutes behind all the SF's on our roster.. if Oantoni got Marcus.. he would have to validat playin him.. same as baron....this guy is too stuborn and needs to go. even if Marcus gave us 20 minute 7 rebounds 6 points and a block or two with solid defense. thats ok.. whay are we looking for a superstar big... these are the guys that turn into a ben wallace or kendrick perkins... but our coach has no time for that style of play....

Good points..Bottom line for me---if we added this kid and gave him a carte blanche 30 mins a night to go out there and do his thing, we wouldn't be talking about adding a center anymore..Believe me, I know we have a whole slew of problems all of a sudden, but finding a capable big man to pencil in next to Amar'e continues to be one of them..Has been for some time now..Grab this kid right now while he's available and let's at least solve that problem..I can't for the life of me figure out why he never got drafted. I honestly don't remember him in college but he had a decent senior year for Houston just reviewing his stats and some video, enough to at least go in the 2nd round somewhere..7 footer with a good body, solid all-around instincts & that kind of skillset? No brainer..First saw him in the DL showcase back in January on the NBA channel, then again in the DL all-star game..Those highlight clips aren't some fluke---what you see in those clips is what he brings every game..I see a player that would go mid first round somewhere in this summer's draft if he came out with this current crop of prospects..I've seen Keith Benson a few times this year including Oakland's loss to Texas in the tourney the other day where Benson looked small and had all sorts of trouble down low against Longhorn freshman PF Tristan Thompson..I think Cousin's a better player than Keith Benson..

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
From those clips it looks like he's got all the tools we would be looking for out of a bigman, nice & quick on 1st & 2nd jumps going up for rebounds, has a nice touch from midrange & beyond & some good footwork in the post. Finest, how would you say he stacks up with someone like Jason Thompson? Any similarities there you think?

finestrg

Rotation player
From those clips it looks like he's got all the tools we would be looking for out of a bigman, nice & quick on 1st & 2nd jumps going up for rebounds, has a nice touch from midrange & beyond & some good footwork in the post. Finest, how would you say he stacks up with someone like Jason Thompson? Any similarities there you think?

Sure. That's another good comparison.. Tell ya what bro, I think Cousin's jumper might be even more pure. And he feels a tad more 'legit C' to me, but yeah, very similar to Thompson -- two guys at least 6'10" that are good athletes, can board and score the ball a few different ways..Excellent call right there.

Back in January, I saw this kid for the first time on the NBA channel and loved what I saw: Big (Givony over at DX has him at 6'11" 3/4 in shoes which to me is 7'), bangin' jumpers on guys all over the joint, rebounder, defender, and wasn't afraid to play inside a little and get dirty on both ends. Saw him again in the DL all-star game and there he was, doing his thing again.. I mentioned Keith Benson and I honestly believe Cousin's a better player..Benson disappointed a little recently--I think he needs more work than I originally thought..But I think he's right there talent-wise with a few other bigs that are expected to go in the first round this summer:

JaJuan Johnson -- he's got about 2" on this kid, same motor, maybe an even better inside/outside game and Johnson's got a good one..Johnson's a little lighter, has a little more spring & plays a tad more above the rim from the little I've seen but Cousin's right there with him as far as overall talent. He's just more a legit C.

Trey Thompkins -- Cousin's bigger and a better rebounder, Thompkins might have a little more range on his J..I really like Thompkins a lot, tremendous offensive arsenal for a big man, but he comes up a little short in the rebounding column.

Kenneth Faried -- Different players entirely..Faried much more raw offensively and not nearly as big (height & weight---Faried only goes about 6'8" 225) but he's in a world of his own with his rebounding prowess and defensive mindset..Not to say Cousin's not good in these areas himself--he is, Faried's just on a different level in those two categories. Tell you what, Cousin and Faried together would be an awesome look for us while Amar'e's out getting a rest...All I'm looking for is to jack up our frontcourt significantly over what we have now and for a good price-----we could probably get Cousin for 800K or so for next year and Faried in the draft around 20 for $1.36--$1.5M..To me that's better value over a Marc Gasol offer sheet for say $8-10M long-term and something I'd be inclined to try first..If that didn't work, we probably at least got a quality backup C in Cousin and we could shop for a big man in 2012. Pure logic...We could even go cheaper with a Cousin/Jeff Adrien combo (say 800K apiece) for practically the same thing, provided Adrien's available this summer. I think he will be--Adrien played well enough to get the callup + GS had him in the preseason so you know they like him yet he's not getting any burn out there.

Justin Harper -- Even more of a deep perimeter game than Thompkins..Cousin's bigger and more capable closer to the basket..Better rebounder than this kid too. Again, different players---Cousin's a C; Harper feels more like a bigger version of Wilson Chandler to me, maybe some Austin Daye with a little bit of KU's Morris brothers..Big, rangy can shoot 3s, some post up and he can put it on the floor..Cousin's more a legit center who's very effective 17' and in. Still a good player though, I'm not sure I'd put one ahead of the other, they're just different..Point is he'd be right there in the draft with this kid too.
---------------------------------------
Cousin's in the same conversation with any of these guys..Right there..He immediately reminded me of Al Horford when I first saw him..You made the Jordan Hill comparison a few weeks ago STAT1 and that's pretty close as well (very similar game--Cousin's even bigger)....I've never seen this highly-thought of Euro Jonas Valanciunas, only clips..Different styles but Cousin looks like he could certainly match up with him..That's really my point -- I see a kid here who could match up with any of these guys as well as many current Cs in the NBA right now and not embarrass himself on either end of the floor. I don't wanna get too crazy here but throw Enes Kanter and Jared Sullinger in the mix too --- I don't see why Cousin couldn't match up well against either one of these guys as well..Those two are very good talents but when I watch Cousin play, it's not like I see a guy who can't compete against these guys..Quite the contrary.

Cousin probably got overlooked because he played with two very ball-dominant shooters in college: Aubrey Coleman and Kelvin Lewis. Esp. Coleman---in Cousin's senior year at Houston, Coleman took 717 shots at the basket with 319 FT attempts. Lewis: 473 FG attempts..Cousin by comparison: only 254..

Just compare Cousin's senior year to a guy like Purdue's JaJuan Johnson who went for 20.5 & 8.6 this season:
JJ: 35 mins, 20.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 2.3 blks, 520 FG attempts, 209 FT attempts, 49.4% FG
MC '08-'09: 30 mins, 10.9 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.1 blks, 254 FG attempts, 138 FT attempts, 50.4% FG

Tells me Cousin simply never got the ball enough in college to show what he could really do. Surprising, considering how polished his offensive skills look, even back then looking at his college highlights. If this guy just got more touches, he easily could've scored it at a much higher rate like some of these other guys we're talking about here and got the recognition he deserved...

Cousin played 2 years at Seton Hall, transferred to Houston where he had to red shirt a year, had an uneventful 3rd full season before finally showing what he could do his senior year but was eclipsed by chucker/ball-hog Aubrey Coleman and a coach/system which apparently didn't benefit him a great deal. Didn't get drafted, went overseas to play in Turkey and then returned to the States this year to play in the NBDL where he really came into his own..It's been a tough road for this kid, much tougher than it should've been for him based on his ability..Ya know the average NBDL salary ranges anywhere from $27,000 to $40,000, some say as low as $12,000 to $24,000..That's it. Can you believe that?? How's this kid supposed to live on that?? I'm definitely rooting for him to make it..I'd love it to be here with us, we could certainly use him and his skills..But somewhere man--he's too good a talent not to be in the NBA right now.

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Kenneth Faried -- Different players entirely..Faried much more raw offensively and not nearly as big (height & weight---Faried only goes about 6'8" 225) but he's in a world of his own with his rebounding prowess and defensive mindset..Not to say Cousin's not good in these areas himself--he is, Faried's just on a different level in those two categories. Tell you what, Cousin and Faried together would be an awesome look for us while Amar'e's out getting a rest...All I'm looking for is to jack up our frontcourt significantly over what we have now and for a good price-----we could probably get Cousin for 800K or so for next year and Faried in the draft around 20 for $1.36--$1.5M..To me that's better value over a Marc Gasol offer sheet for say $8-10M long-term and something I'd be inclined to try first..If that didn't work, we probably at least got a quality backup C in Cousin and we could shop for a big man in 2012. Pure logic...We could even go cheaper with a Cousin/Jeff Adrien combo (say 800K apiece) for practically the same thing, provided Adrien's available this summer. I think he will be--Adrien played well enough to get the callup + GS had him in the preseason so you know they like him yet he's not getting any burn out there.

Now that right there sounds like a plan I could buy into. I think it's a perfect solution because it doesn't hamper our flexibility in 2012 with a big contract for someone like Marc Gasol who really doesn't give you enough production to warrant what he'll likely command as a FA. I am thoroughly UNimpressed by Marc Gasol I don't think he fits this system or this team at all & he's about as slow as it gets when it comes to NBA C's. I would much rather have someone who can get up & down the floor & has the athleticism to be a presence in the paint & on help defense. Bringing in 2 young kids like Cousin & Faried or Adrien would be a good way to build up our bench depth with guys on low money deals & preserve our ability to possibly target a bigname in 2012. Love that idea.

finestrg

Rotation player
All I wanted was a crack at Cousin in the offseason and now that idea has gone up in smoke --- looks like Cousin just signed a 3-yr deal with the Houston Rockets:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7515498.html

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...-rockets-sign-marcus-cousin-from-nba-d-league

Man, what an EXCELLENT move by the Rockets. Daryl Morey is really a smart, savvy GM..To me, they just added a 1st round pick with this dude--he has that type of talent..I just can't believe we didn't jump all over this guy when we had the chance considering our HUGE need for a quality big man or two at a good price---if not for the remainder this year, for next year and beyond for sure. If it were up to me, this guy would've been in a Knick uniform months ago..If I had to guess right now, Cousin will eventually be the starting center for the Houston Rockets. No doubt in my mind. At the very least, he'll be part of the rotation for Rick Adelman or whoever's the coach of that team next year.. He's a better player than Hasheem Thabeet, point blank. Dude would've looked great wearing the orange & blue playing alongside Amar'e & Melo..Oh well..What are you gonna do? Signing Cousin to a sensible contract would've been my first order of business this offseason..Very disappointed to read tonight that the Rockets snatched him up.

Last edited:

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
All I wanted was a crack at Cousin in the offseason and now that idea has gone up in smoke --- looks like Cousin just signed a 3-yr deal with the Houston Rockets:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7515498.html

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...-rockets-sign-marcus-cousin-from-nba-d-league

Man, what an EXCELLENT move by the Rockets. Daryl Morey is really a smart, savvy GM..To me, they just added a 1st round pick with this dude--he has that type of talent..I just can't believe we didn't jump all over this guy when we had the chance considering we need quality big man or two at a good price, if not for this year, for next year and beyond. If I had to guess right now, this guy will eventually be the starting center on that Rocket team. No doubt in my mind. At the very least, he'll be part of the rotation for Rick Adelman or whoever's the coach of that team next year.. He's a better player than Hasheem Thabeet. Dude would've looked great wearing the orange & blue..Oh well..What are you gonna do?

Long time no see finestrg!! Good to see you back on and yes I couldn't agree more about Cousin and was really hoping the Knicks at least gave him a chance.

By the way bro, any names you looking at that peek your interest in the upcoming draft?? I'd love to hear on what players you like along with your observations.