Time to trade Melo!!!!!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Am I overeacting to tonight's loss....maybe.....but the fact remains what Melo brings to the table is not what these Knicks need!

But about tonight's game, how many times did you hear Mike Breen and Walt talk about the offense becoming stagnent and of those times how many times was those on possessions where Melo was in the game?

How many times did you hear Mike and Walt state "that is not a good shot at all from Carmelo"

The dude clogs up the offense.

Carmelo is not a leader!!!!! He needs to be on a team with an established core of players and veteren leadership because he is not going to bring that himself.

For a "superstar player" he makes a lot of dumb plays on both ends on the floor

Potential trades for Melo

Lakers give up Bynum and Odom for Melo

Portland give up Camby and Wallace

Clippers give up Kaman and Eric Gordon

and yes cap nerds I do realize this deals dont all matchup salary wise and woudl need more players thrown in.

But all of these deals round out our roster better than having Melo.

Billups
Feilds
Odom
Stat
Bynum

Billups
Feilds
Gerald Wallace
Stat
Camby

Billups
Gordon
Feilds
Stat
Kaman

all of those starting 5's are significantly better than what we have now and allow for Stat to become the leader with a good cast of players around him.

trade this dude this off season before he no longer has trade value!!!!

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Or....a coach who can utilize and capitalize the talents of one of the best pure scorers in the game...when the play has Melo playing on the perimeter to space the court...he has to back his way all the way into the paint and go to work. It's painfully obvious that he wants to operate on the block but the offense doesn't call for that...

That's essentially like trading for Adrian Peterson to run a bunch of screen passes.

Or how about how Frank Vogel looked at Darren Collison's struggles in that triangle/motion type offense and said "you know what...he had success last year in the P-n-R with New Orleans...let's make him comfortable and the team more efficient....let's go to the pick-and-roll." O'Brien tried to make Collison conform to the system....got fired, and his replacement installs a system based on what he has on the roster.

Now why in the ****ity **** **** **** mother ****, can't D'Antoni do the same? You mean to tell me that if we got Durant...he would be running off of less screens and getting into the paint and to the line less....to space the floor behind the three point line?

Get the **** out.

Yeah... Trade Melo after not even 20 games in a Knicks uniform. What would that say about the Knicks as a franchise? What would that say to potential talents who are or were willing to sign with the Knicks? Yeah, right; great thread guy.

la2ny

Starter
And this is the reason the Knicks have been a dreadful team the last 10 years.

Boy how do I miss the times when I argued with people for being happy with a 8th seed early in the year, now those same people are mad were not The Lakers -__-....

iSaYughh

Starter
Troll thread... I hope

Nope, it's not.

Slap.

My.

Mother.

****ing.

Head.

This is NNY's general thread style...but the worst possible thread ive ever seen him create, or could ever imagine.

Shit. Lol. So many years of front office bending over to get gang raped by the league, even fans are accustomed to us negotiating and making moves from the greatest position of desperation and weakness.

la2ny

Starter
This is my last time stating this because some guys here are delusional.

Chauncey Billups stated in the interview with all 3 of them it will take a month to 2 months to reach a level where your feeling pretty cconfident out there w/ each other.

Rick Fox said they have a nice team, but have things they need to do to become that great team everyone wants. They are improving on D but still aren't there. BUT THEY ARE BECOMING A BETTER TEAM.

Kevin McHale said, in his NY voice, "New Yark is bacc were winnin dis ye-ah" then he said "No your not winnin "dis ye-ah". He said this team isn't complete and they have a great core to build around and will make the playoffs and gain playoff experience. Thats all you can ask for after what we have been through. After this year he said we can go to the next level from where we are if we make the right player moves(bigs, depth, experience). He also said THIS IS TRAINING CAMP! The battles we are having w/ teams and also ourselves is our preseason.

So to everyone that wants to be a Heat fan continue to be that "sky is falling" fan. I'll rather listen to the players that have played on great teams before and the players that are on the team.

Every team has adversity, it's how you deal with it that decides whether you become a better team or quit. If some of you guys were on the team you'd be getting Renaldo Balkman minutes. If some of you were a GM like you play you are on NBA 2k then Carmelo and Chauncey would've played 3 games here and been shipped to Golden State for Monta Ellis and David Lee....

STAT1

Starter
This is my last time stating this because some guys here are delusional.

Chauncey Billups stated in the interview with all 3 of them it will take a month to 2 months to reach a level where your feeling pretty cconfident out there w/ each other.

Rick Fox said they have a nice team, but have things they need to do to become that great team everyone wants. They are improving on D but still aren't there. BUT THEY ARE BECOMING A BETTER TEAM.

Kevin McHale said, in his NY voice, "New Yark is bacc were winnin dis ye-ah" then he said "No your not winnin "dis ye-ah". He said this team isn't complete and they have a great core to build around and will make the playoffs and gain playoff experience. Thats all you can ask for after what we have been through. After this year he said we can go to the next level from where we are if we make the right player moves(bigs, depth, experience). He also said THIS IS TRAINING CAMP! The battles we are having w/ teams and also ourselves is our preseason.

So to everyone that wants to be a Heat fan continue to be that "sky is falling" fan. I'll rather listen to the players that have played on great teams before and the players that are on the team.

Every team has adversity, it's how you deal with it that decides whether you become a better team or quit. If some of you guys were on the team you'd be getting Renaldo Balkman minutes. If some of you were a GM like you play you are on NBA 2k then Carmelo and Chauncey would've played 3 games here and been shipped to Golden State for Monta Ellis and David Lee....

It seems the Miami Heat took about 2 months to fully hit their stride this season & that was after a full summer & training camp together. People already expect the Knicks to be playing like a well oiled machine after 2 weeks while they're trying to incorporate 2 major stars together in the same offense & the PG is trying to learn a new system he's not used to playing in. It's just not realistic.

la2ny

Starter
It seems the Miami Heat took about 2 months to fully hit their stride this season & that was after a full summer & training camp together. People already expect the Knicks to be playing like a well oiled machine after 2 weeks while they're trying to incorporate 2 major stars together in the same offense & the PG is trying to learn a new system he's not used to playing in. It's just not realistic.
Thats Knicks fans 4 u, jump off the bridge after every loss, love everyone if they win :shrug:

STAT1

Starter
The encouraging part is we're something 6-3 vs teams with a +.500 record. The worrysome part is we're playing like dogs vs teams we should have no problem beating. It seems our team is playing up & down to the competition, athought if you have to have that type of situation at least we're playing the better teams tough which is what you'd like to see going into the playoffs.

Tonight they played the Celtics tough for much of the game but imploded down the stretch due to some very shaky PG play. Chauncey Billups is gonna take time to adjust his game & know how to play with 2 superstars, I don't think he's ever had to deal with that before in his career, he's usually been 1 of the main 2 scoring options of the team. In NY he's gonna be looked upon to be more of a ball facilitator than a scorer. I think we need to give him more than 2 weeks to fully grasp this system & get to learn his new teammates' tendencies & where & when they like to get the ball fed to them. He's trying to form that rhythm on the fly with a brand new cast of teammates, it's not gonna happen overnight. This team might not hit its stride til the playoffs hit, maybe not even then. Who knows I don't think this has really been done before where 2 superstars hook up in the middle of a season & start dominating games right away, does anyone remember if that's happened in the history of the NBA? Didn't the Houston Rockets struggle bigtime after they made the trade for Clyde Drexler but they still won a championship with him that year eventually. Not saying we're on our way to one this season but you get the point. I think anyone who expected instantaneous results after the Melo trade are more about flashing their I Told You So cards than they are about the longterm picture of this franchise.

la2ny

Starter
The encouraging part is we're something 6-3 vs teams with a +.500 record. The worrysome part is we're playing like dogs vs teams we should have no problem beating. It seems our team is playing up & down to the competition, athought if you have to have that type of situation at least we're playing the better teams tough which is what you'd like to see going into the playoffs.

Tonight they played the Celtics tough for much of the game but imploded down the stretch due to some very shaky PG play. Chauncey Billups is gonna take time to adjust his game & know how to play with 2 superstars, I don't think he's ever had to deal with that before in his career, he's usually been 1 of the main 2 scoring options of the team. In NY he's gonna be looked upon to be more of a ball facilitator than a scorer. I think we need to give him more than 2 weeks to fully grasp this system & get to learn his new teammates' tendencies & where & when they like to get the ball fed to them. He's trying to form that rhythm on the fly with a brand new cast of teammates, it's not gonna happen overnight. This team might not hit its stride til the playoffs hit, maybe not even then. Who knows I don't think this has really been done before where 2 superstars hook up in the middle of a season & start dominating games right away, does anyone remember if that's happened in the history of the NBA? Didn't the Houston Rockets struggle bigtime after they made the trade for Clyde Drexler but they still won a championship with him that year eventually. Not saying we're on our way to one this season but you get the point. I think anyone who expected instantaneous results after the Melo trade are more about flashing their I Told You So cards than they are about the longterm picture of this franchise.
Exactly my point. And Denver playing well only amplifies whats going on here so everyone against the trade are flashing I told you so's.
Pau Gasol is the only one I've seen where him and Kobe played well right off the bat, though Pau wasn't better than Kobe and they pretty much had the same team so they still had alot of their chemistry.

STAT1

Starter
Exactly my point. And Denver playing well only amplifies whats going on here so everyone against the trade are flashing I told you so's.
Pau Gasol is the only one I've seen where him and Kobe played well right off the bat, though Pau wasn't better than Kobe and they pretty much had the same team so they still had alot of their chemistry.

Right, & the Lakers also had Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher & the rest of their supporting cast pretty much intact all of those guys were completely comfortable w/the system, they were only trying to incorporate 1 guy essentially. The Knicks have 6 new guys they're trying to work into the rotation if you count Roger Mason & Ared Effries, that's not gonna gel after 2 weeks I don't care if it's Melo, Kobe or anyone else we traded for it's just impossible to expect this team to be playing at the top of their game until they have more time to get used to playing together. What Denver is doing is incomparable to what the Knicks are trying to do, not 1 of their players is a star option they're all just playing their roles the same as they were doing before the trade was made. When you have 2 guys that are used to dominating the ball trying to play together there is bound to be an adjustment period, just like we saw with the Miami Heat this year.

Excellent post in this thread la2ny! Finially some Knick fans with insight about the game of basketball. Fans who understand it takes much longer than just "15 games" to play as a team after a mid-season trade.

It's a work in progress but the best has yet to come.

-Fields is only a rookie. Steal of the draft. Becoming a solid peremeter defender & has shown flashes of greatness moving off the ball as a grinder. Championship style of play. Wait till next year. He'll become 10x the player he is today due to the much needed experience of his rookie season + playoff experience.

-Douglas is only a 2nd year player who's coming into his own. He'll be ready for take off as a 3rd year pro next year.

-We have 3 starters who's only been here for 15 or fewer games in Billups, Carmelo & JJ. That makes for 60% of our starting lineup that never had a chance to gel during training camp, practice(s) & preseason game(s). And ''fans'' wanna scream for "chemistry"?

Like I've stated in the past & cant stress enough; We are not a "team". We're a team thats only trying to learn how to become a better team. It's really as simple as that.

You have to learn to lose as a team; before you know & understand what it takes to win. Sometimes you never know what you have in a great boxer until he goes down for the 1st time. (Tyson) or does he get back up & fight with heart like Rocky?

I've been a die hard fan since 92 & know enough about the game of basketball to know THIS team can compete during the playoffs but unless we strike lightning in a bottle; we aren't contending for a chip until we have a full offseason of roster moves to turn a playoff team into a serious Eastern Conf contender. We also need to upgrade our C' position over both JJ & Turiaf (both natural PF's).

If NY lets Billups walk & signs either Jordan, Nene or Dalembert + a Camby &/or Battier... the sky is the limit for 2011-2012

Some fans just have no clue how to support an up & coming team. "Fire the coach".

This situation of losing for 10 years along with all this fire MDA & kill kill kill mentality from NY fans really does remind me of the Rays fan base which is pathetic.

I lived through this exact situation with TB recently. I'm thanful I know enough about sports, to know what happens when you ACTUALLY give a coach a chance to have success. Something these people know nothing about; how to support a coach with an up & coming inexperienced team before it's time for take off as contenders.

Seriously: "Less than 20 games"? Really?

B4 we made it to the WS in 08 during our 1st playoff run in franchise history (10 years)... Devil Ray fans were saying Maddon would never win because he had 2-3 losing seasons with HORRIBLE teams (just like MDA). Said he couldn't work the lineup or bullpen. Bring back "sweet Lou", what has Joe ever done? Etc etc.

Then Maddon & TB put it all together & those Joe haters still hide under rocks.

"MadDumb" vs "O'Antoni"; same types of fans. Same types of hatred nick-names. Sad.

la2ny

Starter
I don't like Mike, but even I know this is "Yankees Mentality".
Buy the names to shut the fans up, doesn't work people start calling for heads before a month has gone by, excessive love-hate team relationship.

How about we make a "Can't wait for the playoffs thread"? Me personally im getting giddy. It's weird because it's so close and the season went so fast! 2 1/2 weeks and its here baby!! April Madness!!!