Let's Make Our Roster For Next Season

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Of course, a change in the cap could change a lot, but for now....

Starters:

C-Tyson Chandler/Samuel Dalembert/DeAndre Jordan
PF-Amar'e Stoudemire
SF-Carmelo Anthony
SG-Landy Fields
PG-Chauncey Billups

Bench:

C-Ronny Turiaf
PF-Shawne Williams
SF-Tracy McGrady
SG-Allen Iverson
PG-Toney Douglas

Billy Walker, Roger Mason, Jr., Latrell Sprewell, etc.

I don't know about DeAndre Jordan's defense. What I remember most about him is some of his dunks is as powerful as Griffin's. I think I remember him blocking some shots.

If he is good on defense, then we'd have two quality centers (depending on Turiaf's contract).

I don't know about McGrady, I think he'd like to be a Knick again, but don't know how much he'd be asking after a solid season in Detroit and even making it as starting PG.

Allen Iverson wouldn't ask for much. Another team might offer more though.

That would be a great bench. If we're looking for younger players DeAndre Jordan, if his defense is good, will allow us to get a couple of other younger pieces. Or if not younger, it'd still give us a lot more to spend on other players.

Other notable free agents:

Kenyon Martin-Can't offer much because of his past injuries. His defensive toughness could be a big help.

Jamal Crawford-He might not ask for much since he said he'd like to play in New York again, but he's still worth more then we'd probably offer. Would be a great back-up for Fields

There's others, but I don't feel like looking it up now. We definitely could benefit from signing a couple of TOUGH defensive players.

Yes, I'm opposed to getting another max.

Last edited:
A) Billups walks; which saves us 12M. TD then continues to develope over the offseason before becoming our starting PG heading into 2011. Huge defensive upgrade.

B) If Turiaf picks up his player option; I then trade Turi on draft night, which saves us 4M; where I then trade Turi + our 1st to land the Nation's leading rebounder around 12-14.

C) I let Shelden walk while bringing Carter back for cheap to backup & mentor a young TD.

D) I promote our D-League All-Star Patrick Ewing Jr.

This leaves us with about 16-17M in cap heading into the draft / FA.

I use 9 of that 17 per to sign Jordan. That leaves us with around 8M to fill the roster. His athletic talents, rebounding ability & overall potential is worth the gamble of over-paying for an up & coming BIG who's not even 23.

-My 2 FA's are Camby for size & Battier for peremeter D for a combined 4-5M.

C- DeAndre / Camby / JJ
PF- Amare / Faried / Camby
SF- Melo / Battier / Shawne Williams
SG- Fields / Bill Walker / Ewing Jr.
PG- Douglas / Carter / Mason

That pretty much makes the Knicks 8 deep with Carmelo, Amare, DeAndre, Fields, Douglas / Camby, Battier & Faried.

Which leaves us with real young potential in Walker, Shawne Williams, Mason & Ewing Jr.

Then we have veterans who can contribute here & there in Carter & JJ.

I love that starting 5, but how's this for a 2nd unit?

C- Camby
PF- Faried
SF- Battier
SG- Walker
PG- Carter

When the Knicks wanna go DEFENSE to protect 2nd half leads... Tell me how this sounds?

C- Camby
PF- DeAndre
SF- Battier
SG- Douglas
PG- Carter

I'm loving it. Does not have all defensive team written all over it or what?

We can also go BIG with that team.

C- Camby
PF- DeAndre
SF- Amare
SG- Carmelo
PG- Douglas

It looks crazy having Amare @ the SF position, but with his mid-range jumper it could work. Those guys would box out, rebound, block & contest shots like crazy. No lack of size there.

My dream offseason is landing either Jordan or Nene @ Center. Adding Camby would make us contenders & Battier's peremeter D = Game on.

Wargames

Starter
That pretty much makes the Knicks 8 deep with Carmelo, Amare, DeAndre, Fields, Douglas / Camby, Battier & Faried.

Which leaves us with real young potential in Walker, Shawne Williams, Mason & Ewing Jr.

Then we have veterans who can contribute here & there in Carter & JJ.

I love that starting 5, but how's this for a 2nd unit?

C- Camby
PF- Faried
SF- Battier
SG- Walker
PG- Carter

When the Knicks wanna go DEFENSE to protect 2nd half leads... Tell me how this sounds?

C- Camby
PF- DeAndre
SF- Battier
SG- Douglas
PG- Carter

I'm loving it. Does not have all defensive team written all over it or what?

We can also go BIG with that team.

C- Camby
PF- DeAndre
SF- Amare
SG- Carmelo
PG- Douglas

It looks crazy having Amare @ the SF position, but with his mid-range jumper it could work. Those guys would box out, rebound, block & contest shots like crazy. No lack of size there.

My dream offseason is landing either Jordan or Nene @ Center. Adding Camby would make us contenders & Battier's peremeter D = Game on.

Or the Knicks can drop Shelden Williams and then try to buy another low first round pick and draft 2 young (cheap) bigs (Or one big & one PG) with our 2 1st rd picks. This is the only smart move The Knicks have since with the new CBA coming the Knicks are not likely adding any significant contracts.

Then we wait to see if they develop with Turiaf as the obligatory 5 going into next season. If any of the Centers turn out to be able to start we put the other as his back up. We can then trade Turiaf expiring for at least one decent 4 mill player.

Then in 2012 we let Billups go & if one decent pass first pg isn't on the roster sign a decent PG for the Felton 7 million (or the New Cba equivalent). With no reliable pick buys since picks will be worth more in a lower cap world. we use the rest of Billups money for a 6th man scorer (if Toney hasn't become that himself) and 1 more decent defender.

That gives us Stat, Melo, the 2 bigs, 1 Decent PG, Shawn, Fields, Toney, and added rotation of 2-3 decent players. Fill the rest of the roster with role players and we have a team.

That would give the Knicks a quality 10 man deep team. It should allow them to improve if necessary through trades. If however a hard cap is established with no loop wholes for older max contracts taking the percentage equivalent of cap space or a player salary rate decreased. Then this strategy goes out the door because we're either screwed or trading one of our two stars. Also our head coach would have to go along with these changes.

Last edited:

la2ny

Starter
Keep it simple peeps. This is if we get a hard cap:

Trade Ronny Turiaf to some team that has cap and needs size(Houston) get their first. Draft Robert Sacre out of Gonzaga and use our 1st to draft Kenneth Faried.

Sign one of these either Samuel Dalembert/Greg Oden/Ryan Hollins/Haywood/Chandler. Then sign TJ Ford or Andre Miller. Fill in the rest with fodder(McGrady,Vujacic,etc.)

If there is no hard cap, keep it simple:

Trade Ronny for a 1st draft Faried and Sacre then sign one of Oden/Hollins/Dalembert/Haywood.Then sign Ford and vets minimum players.

Sprewell, Iverson, McGrady....this is not fantasy basketball man!

I think we're lucky if we're claiming a center like Dalembert or Jordan.

That's about it. Nothing major about to happen.

Although I would go all out and try to get Chris Paul this summer.

We could use Billups contract, Fields, a point guard we draft (Kemba Walker) and future 1st round picks to get him. Maybe NO are not as hard nosed as Denver.